Snowflakes

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

 

Athena's POV

 

 

The sun brims my face through the thin curtains. I open my eyes. I get out of the bed and go to the bathroom. I wash my face and brush my teeth. I see the hand cream I bought for mom next to mine. She was too happy when I gave it to her. She uses it three times a day because she really likes the scent but sadly, she wasn't able to finish the entire bottle before she left.

 

I breathe deeply and go out of the bathroom. I proceed to the kitchen and open the refrigerator. There I saw the kimchi that she made. Nothing much left. If I only knew that I will never have the chance to eat her cooking again, I would’ve asked her to make a lot before she go....

 

Forget eating....I move to the living room. I grab the DVD of my movie and put it back on the rack. This is the one that she was planning to watch. Then I sit on the couch. My mind is so blank...

 

 

I look at my side. This is where she was sitting that night as she folds the clothes. The last conversation we had is still fresh in my mind. I remember every detail...every word she said....

 

The tears come out....Mom is gone....she won't be coming back....           

 

 

Why do you have to leave that way? Don't you think that's cruel? I waited for eight years.....

 

I put my hand in front of my chest. I feel like my airway gets narrower and narrower.

 

 

            “Omma..............Omma..............Omma..............Omma................Omma...............Omma.....”

 

 

I called her name repeatedly through my tears. The loneliness is killing me...I’m now an orphan...

 

 

Jaejoong told me that Omma definitely feel sad too because she had to leave me like that. What if she's crying too seeing me like this?

 

 

            “Omma, let me cry this one last time....I will cry this one last time...”

 

It didn't stop from flowing. I let them go as much as they want. I admit, I'm just human too. I can't be strong all the time. Today, I feel helpless and miserable. I'm shaken to the core and it's really hard to fake it. Even the stone-hard part of me which was hardened by time couldn't even tell me that everything will be alright just like it usually says. How will I get through this?

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Senator Lee's POV

 

 

Holding an old photo in my hand, my tears fall. The picture shows my first family. My old self, Miri, and the three-year-old Ae Young. We really look happy here. Fate took them from me. And because of that fate, everything ended up painfully like this.

 

            “Miri....Forgive me.....I wasn't able to see you off...”

 

My shoulders shrug. My heart is breaking into pieces. The woman I kept in the deepest part of my heart already left this world.

 

            “Don't worry, Miri...I'll always be here for our daughter....I won't leave until I get to pay all my debts...”

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

 

           “She had shown up at work today?” I repeated what Ms. Go said.

            “Yes. We are now here in the set. She just called me and told me that she will report to work.”

            “Is that so? How is she?”

            “Still pale but she's doing great so far. Actually everyone in the set is worried. It hasn't been a week yet since her mom died yet she's already back for work.”

 

I let out a sigh.

 

            “Alright. Please monitor her for me. I don't think I could come today. I have to catch up on filming.”

 

            “Okay. Thank you very much for your concern, Jaejoong.”

 

Our conversation ended. I'm so worried knowing that Athena goes back to work. I know how weak her body is right now after days of grieving. She barely touched any food and cried most of the time. But on the other side, I'm thinking it might be what she needs....to focus herself on other things. Sitting at home will only make her depress even more.

 

I gulp down some water. It will be a long day for me too. I have to do double time in filming my scenes because I've been absent for two days. I lied about being sick in order to get off from work.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

I decided to go back to work today. The production gave me a two-week vacation to grieve for my mom’s death but I know that it will only delay the filming. I don’t want to burden anyone. Also, I might go crazy if I keep staying at home by myself. It’s better to go out and do something that will take my mind off my situation.

 

Everyone is the set seems to be very careful around me. They show genuine concern by assisting to me all the time which I accept gratefully. Director Choi and the others gave me their condolences which I just pass out my ears. I’m here to work and not to be reminded of that.

 

We are not in the middle of a public market because we will shoot some outdoor scenes.

 

            “Are you sure you can do it? You don’t have to force yourself if you still can’t. You look so pale right now...” Director Choi says. He is strict but he’s also righteous towards everyone.

            “I can do it. Don’t worry about me...Let’s just do it.”

 

He nods carefully and turns to my make-up artist who’s busy with my re-touch.

 

            “Maybe you could even out her make-up to hide her paleness?”

            “Yes, Mr. Director...”

            “I’ll look at the camera angles first, I’ll get back to you after..”

I nod.

 

            “Aisshh.....What are those people doing there?! Chul Hyuk, tell security to move them a bit further...they’re occupying the filming area.”I hear him command.

 

Since this is open-area, paparazzi are all over. Seeing me out in public after my mom’s passing would be obviously interesting for them. Each one snaps a shot that they’ll sell to their tabloids.

 

What makes my load lesser is the presence of my fans in the crowd.

 

            “ATHENA, BE STRONG! WE ARE HERE BESIDE YOU ALWAYS!”

            “HANG ON, FIGHTING!”

            “DON’T LOSE YOUR SMILE! WE LOVE YOU!”

 

Those voices give me energy. I gave a half smile and wave in their directions.

 

My scene will be a funny and disastrous rumble in the market. Being comical is the least feeling I have right now but work is work. I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

I rest in the shade while waiting for my next scene. My attention was caught by Song Seung Hun hyung’s coordinator. She’s surfing the net with her Smartphone.

 

            “Athena shows up at the set of her movie...It’s only been days since her mom died right?” she asks the other stylist there.

 

I pretend to be busy reading the script but the truth is my ears are all on them.

 

            “Is she that professional or she will kill herself? Look at her, she lose weight.”

           “Diversion...she needs that, Imagined how scandals hit her one after another? First, No Min Woo then her father, and now her mom died....Poor girl...”

            “Oh, speaking of No Min Woo...look at these pictures uploaded on the net. He takes care of her very dearly...obviously; Min Woo still cares about her.”

            “Wow.....that touch looks genuine. They look cute together! I totally ship them now..”

 

The coordi shows the picture to my manager who’s sitting beside me giving me the chance to steal a glance to it.

 

The picture is from the outdoor set of their film. Athena and Min Woo stand side by side. The first shot has Min Woo has his hand at Athena’s back while with the other one, he’s brushing her hair to the side of her ear. Athena is looking away but these pictures are enough to get people wondering.

 

            “I think Min Woo was there to be her crying shoulders...they’re just keeping it...”

            “Yeah...I think so too...I won’t be surprised to find them dating again one day.”

            “Maybe Athena never had a serious relationship after him because all these time, she’s still longing for No Min Woo...”

            “And No Min Woo still loves her too....Eyyy! I’m getting Goosebumps!”

 

My eyebrows furrow. Irritation arises in my chest.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Junsu’s POV

 

I came to watch the free ballet special in the park where Hae Won is one of the participants. She will be performing for the finale of the show.

 

When Hae Won’s turn comes, I feel really excited.

She wears a pretty white dress with some embroidery on the side. The famous Titanic theme song plays and she starts to move around. Her dance is smooth and full of grace earning the audience’s admiration.

When she looks at my direction and gives me a sweet smile, my heart goes wild. For a moment, I feel like it’s all about me and her. As if there is no other existence in the park but us.

 

            “She’s very pretty.....” My manager comments in my side.

            “Yes, she is....” I utter.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

I sit at the bench right outside my home. I’m really tired with work because I forced myself to do a lot today. I look at the night sky and then snow start falling.

 

I close my eyes and silently feel the cold night wind touch my face. Now that the only reason I survived is gone, my life would be full of uncertainty. I can no longer guess what the future might hold for me. No more definite destination to go to, no more responsibility to fill....nothing else to protect....

 

It’s like the chain I put on to myself had been removed. It feels liberating but this freedom makes me scared even more. I’m not comfortable without it....my heart is burdened and heavy.

 

Now, I will let life take its turn over me....I will be like a leaf being blown on random places by the wind.

 

 

A warm hand holds mine. I open my eyes and Jaejoong is already there beside me. For unknown reason, his stare and smile gives me an assurance as if he’ll always be there to catch me whenever I fall. When he’s beside me....I feel secured. My worries disappear and my homeless heart feels warm.

 

My eyes starts to get wet not because I’m sad or mad....it is because for the first time after mom died, I feel a sense of happiness and warmth.

 

Within the glitz of the young snowflakes, I swallow hard and give him a smile. It might appear as a bitter sweet smile but I want him to know how he makes me feel at this moment.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Hae Won’s POV

 

The performance is over. My feet aches a little but it is nothing compares to the happiness I’m feeling right now. Junsu and I decided to take a night stroll around my neighbourhood before I finally go home.

 

 

            “I was planning to introduce you to my Oppa but something came up. He had to leave right away after the show.” I say.

            “He’s there?”

I nod.

            “That’s sad...I wasn’t able to recognize him from the crowd....” he says.

            “Do you think, you can recognize my Oppa?”

            “I think so..” he smiles.

            “What do you imagine him to look like?”

            “Hm....since you are very pretty, I think he’s a good-looking man. You also look up to him with respect and love so he’s probably a caring and protective older brother.”

I smile.

            “Yes. He’s often seen by others as the serious and strict type but he’s a really nice guy. We are cousins but he treats me like a real younger sister. By the way, he looks like a Hallyu star..”

            “Really? Who?”

            “I don’t know his name but I’m sure I’d seen him on TV and CFs.”

            “Whaa....daebak...but I missed my chance to meet him... It’s because I was too busy watching you.”

 

I suddenly feel shy. Before the performance, my anxiety is really great. Knowing that he’ll be there to see me tripled the nervousness I was feeling. I danced in front of many different people before...most of them are even foreigners but with him on the crowd, I felt like it was more than a very important competition I ever joined. I thought my heart will burst out of my chest.

 

            “Next time, I hope you won’t come again when I have a performance.”

His eyes widen.

            “Why? Why? Did I do something wrong?”

I shake my head.

            “It’s because you made me really nervous...I thought I’m going to die.”

            “Why? You seemed really relaxed..”

            “You have no idea...”

            “Why would—”

The falling snowflakes cut his words.

 

            “Wow!!! The first snowfall!” I extend my palm and let some flakes fall to me.

            “Winter is here...” he says.

 

We stop walking and enjoy the view. The moonlight is bright while the two seasons seemed to overlap.  We look at each other with smiles on our faces. Now, the atmosphere around us is very romantic. Then my heart thumps really hard. I feel like the only sound I could hear right now is my heart beat.

 

 

            “Junsu sshi...I think,......... I’m in love with you...”

 

The words came out before I could even hold back. Oh God! Did I just say that?!

Junsu sshi blink his eyes. I’m sure it was a blow to him.

 

I took a deep breath to gather all my courage. Since I already told him, then I’ll just go with it.

 

            “This entire time that I spent with you, I don’t know what happened but I came to realize that I’m starting to grow feelings for you....Junsu sshi,......saranghamida....please go out with me.”

 

I swallow my pride and tell him what’s in my heart.

 

Thump....thump....thump.....

 

He looks away with a confused expression before slowly turns his back. His feet steps a few until they turn into a run.

 

What.......

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

[Author’s Note]:

 

Hi my lovely readers! Thank you for your support for this fic. I still have lots in store for you guyz....watch out for the coming events...^-^

 

By the way, I want to welcome the new subscribers!

 

Thank you also to those who took the time to upvote!