Downside

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

No Min Woo’s POV

 

 

Athena confessed her love for beau Kim Jaejoong in her Daesang Award Acceptance Speech

 

Attached to the article is the screen shot of Athena and Kim Jaejoong.

 

Huh! This two are driving me mad! Even in Taiwan, I can get news about them and their high profile relationship.

 

            “Aishhh!” I kick the seat in front of me because of annoyance.

My manager opens the door.

            “We just arrived. The flight was a bit delayed because of the weather there in Taipei…Yes…We are on our way there…Thank you Mr. Yoon. Yes.” He finished talking to the CEO and turn to me.

            “We’ll have to go straight to the agency first…”

He notices my mood.

            “What? Why is your face like that?” he asks.

He sees the tablet I tossed on the side.

            “Chincha…..you told me that you’ll just play some games….” He picks it up.

I grit my teeth because of jealousy. It should be me and not that man….

 

I kick the passenger seat in front of me again.

            “Aishh! Why do you have to kick me?!” My manager complains because he’s sitting on it.

I didn’t say anything.

            “Don’t worry about that. Let them display it as much as they can…this relationship bounds to end one of these days anyway.”

 

I look at him.

 

            “What are saying?”

He sits straight to get his composure back.

            “I heard that Kim Jaejoong loses a lot of projects since that dating scandal broke out. His company is mending on their loses. Do you think they’ll let it go on? I guess they’re just putting up with it because the relationship is so hot nowadays but once people lose interest they’ll….” and he motions his hand to his neck.

 

Since he’s an idol he obviously suffers from it…just as I thought. He will never be the best guy for her….How about Athena? She will be left behind in the end….

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Hae Won’s POV

 

 

I stand in the waiting shed. A bus stops in front of me. Junsu’s face is in it.

 

            “Wow its Junsu oppa!” I hear one of the students say.

            “I’m glad he’s still not taken unlike Jaejoong oppa….he’s in a mess right now.” Says the other.

            “I don’t know what I’ll do if Junsu oppa has a girlfriend too…”

 

They climb up the bus and I’m left alone. I stare at Junsu’s face on the bus. He kept sending me messages since that night. I’ve been refusing to neither meet him nor talk to him for days now.

 

            I did wrong. I’m sorry.

            Hae Won, call me back please.

            I’m worried…please send me at least a reply.

            I’m sorry…I didn’t intend to hurt you.

            Aren’t you really going to talk to me? Let me see you please.

            I miss you.

 

 

I know I’m being irrational for acting this way but I was really upset. It’s my first time to date someone and there were things that I never expected. Maybe it is the price of dating a celebrity. I remember what the sasaengs did to Athena unni that day. They are really cruel and I never thought that it will be like that. I feel hurt just by seeing her treated that way. What if it’s me? What will I do if they keep harassing me? Will my life be peaceful? Can I handle it the way Athena unni does? I’m not as strong as her…so how will I deal with it if it is me? Can Junsu and I be happy with that?

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

          

Junsu’s POV

 

 

I sigh after checking my phone. Still, Hae Won is not sending me messages. She ignores my messages and calls and I’m worrying so much. I’m missing her badly but it looks like she’s really upset because of me.

 

Keeping it as a secret is putting strain to our relationship and I know it. She’s just an ordinary person so adjusting to the situation is hard but I strongly believe that it is what we need. Jaejoong hyung wanted everybody to know that he’s dating Athena and I think both are doing a great job in handling it but in my case, I choose to go the different route. I will protect Hae Won by keeping her identity a secret for as long as I can because I can’t bear the thought of fans hurting her verbally or physically. I know that keeping her away from the limelight I’m standing at is the only way for us to have a normal relationship.

 

 

            “Junsu, whatever it is…Try to leave it behind for a moment. We have work to do.” Manager hyung says.

            “Is it really obvious?” I ask him and he nods.

 

I sigh again. I think about her from time to time especially I saw her cry the last time. I think I‘ll visit her tonight. If I have to go down on my knees in order for her to talk to me, I’ll do it but for now I have to put on a smile for my fans.

 

            “Are you ready?” he asks.

            “Yes.” And we come out of the van and head towards the venue for my fan signing event.

 

 

 

 

 

            “Thank you for coming here. What is your name?” I was about to sign a poster when a piece of paper is place in front of me.

 

I understand our situation.

I’m choosing you than any other things.

 

 

I look up and see Hae Won. She flips the paper and makes me read again.

 

I miss you too.

 

            “Hae Won ah…”

She smiles at me.

            “Can you please give me your sign Kim Junsu sshi?” she says.

I blink.

 

            “It is not that long since I returned here in Korea but I became your fan right away.” She adds.

 

I suddenly realized that we are in the middle of my fan signing event.

 

            “Ahh…of course. I will gladly sign this for you.” I say and sign a poster for her. She smiles when I give her the poster.

            “Excuse me, ajusshi….” She talks to manager hyung. “Can you take a picture for me?” Manager hyung looks at me for a moment.

            “S-sure…” he takes Hae Won’s phone.

 

She goes around the table and goes down a bit next to me for the picture.

 

            “Let’s do this..” she says making a peace sign with her fingers and I do the same.

 

We both smile widely. We even chuckle because of the happy feeling that we both feel.

 

            “Thank you so much.” She starts to walk so that I could accommodate the next fan in line.

 

I stand. I still have six fans in line.

 

            “Thank you for waiting this long in line just to get my sign. Because of your patience, I would like to give you something special.” I announce. Their faces become brighter. “I’ll give free hugs.” I say and go to them one by one. My fans are really happy to get a hug from me. After giving each one a hug, I look for Hae Won who’s almost at the door.

 

            “Miss…Wait.”

She looks back and I walk towards her. I hug her.

            “Junsu sshi…”

            “You don’t know how much weight you removed from my heart by coming here.”

I’m so relieved after I see her face.

            “I love you.” I whisper to her.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

           

            “I’ll go to the TV station. They asked for a private meeting with me.”

            “That’s for the TV drama right?” Athena asks from the other line.

            “Yes. I’m really sweating just thinking of it…” I utter.

            “Don’t be nervous. The role is surely yours, isn’t it?”

            “Hm.” I nod.

            “Then you better relax. You memorized your lines…I’m sure that you’ll do well in the script reading.”

 

What she said calms me. Her confession is still fresh in my mind and it gives me motivation.

 

            “How about you? What are you doing?”

            “I’m here in the agency. I’ve been reading some scripts…” she replies.

            “Movie or Drama?”

            “Dramas….we got three new here.”

            “Wow…..”

 

I’m sure that it’s common for her since she’s named Korea’s Drama Princess. She always works on dramas one after another so she’s very much visible in TV. Aside from dramas, she does a lot of CFs and releases five or more movies a year. Her schedule will never be vacant.

 

            “Still none of these are final….Your drama will start first before I could make my next one….I think I should hang up now. You have to prepare…Call me after the meeting, okay?”

            “Okay.”

            “You can do it.” She says.

I smile.

            “I can do it. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

            “Bye.”

 

 

            “Can you just wait here? Joon PD will be arriving in a minute.” Says the secretary.

 

Manager hyung and I sit comfortably inside the office.

 

I’m really looking forward to this drama. I like the concept and it’s a good opportunity to show another side of me to the fans. I studied the script and lose a lot of hours of sleep to be able to memorize my lines well. I want to do well in the initial script reading because I want to have a good impression on my new work mates.

 

The door opens and Joon PD comes. We stand and bow at him for formal greeting.

 

            “I will make this meeting quick because I have something else to do.” He says.

I quietly listen to what he will say.

            “The production just had a meeting last night. I decided to call you here to inform you before we announce it to the public.” He says. “We want to recast for the leading actor.”

 

I feel like something blows my head.

 

            “What do you mean Joon PD sshi? Didn’t we come to an agreement that you’ll cast Kim Jaejoong as your lead?” My manager inquires. I think he’s very much surprised too.

            “I know we are the ones who approached you for this project but the way things are now….it won’t be good to keep it up.”

            “‘With the way things are now’, what do you mean by that?” I ask.

            “Your personal life is taking a lot of interest now and because of it, there is a big chance that it will pull down the project. This is an important time for us too. The last drama didn’t come out well as we expected so it won’t do us good if that happens again. We are deeply sorry but we can’t take the risk.”

            “Can’t we talk about it first Joon PD? People are wiser now. They know the difference between a work and personal life.” Manager hyung tries to talk it out.

 

Joon PD shakes his head with a sad expression on his face.

 

            “I wish it is as easy as what you said…but sadly, we both know what could really happen.”

He stands up.

            “I’m really sorry.” He turns to me and taps my shoulder. “This has nothing to do with you…it’s nothing personal. We really wanted to work with you it’s just that we can’t afford to take the risks. I also think that it’s not yet time for you to make a TV come back. Let things cool off first. Good luck.”

 

I nod at him.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________  

 

 

I lay in my bed tiredly. I just lost a TV drama—the one I’m expecting to be my next project.

 

 

 

***FLASHBACK***

 

            “This is not good Jaejoong ah…” Manager hyung says.

 

The production decided to get another idol actor to replace me. Another project got away from my grasp

 

            “Your career is being affected by your relationship with Athena sshi.”

 

I’m not in the mood to talk to him. Losing this project is depressing enough. I don’t want to think about other things.

 

            “This will only get worse…”

            “So what are you implying?” I couldn’t help myself to react.

            “I think it will be good to end things with her to save your career…”

            “Are you out of your mind? It’s not something to be handled just like that. Athena is my girlfriend. Hyung, she is someone very important to me.”

            “I know that. But don’t you see where this is taking you?”

            “It’s not only me who gets some disadvantages in this. Athena is being harassed by sasaengs because of me! She’s suffering too because of me!” I lose control of my tone.

            “But that is different from losing projects like you!” he yells too. “Things can’t possibly be worse for her. She is ATHENA! She’ll get bashed or harassed but she will NEVER lose PROJECTS and that’s because she is ATHENA. Do you understand me?! As for you, being involved with her is something that you should have been avoided. I told you, she’s just trouble.”

 

            “That’s not true. It is not the first time I experienced it. There’s always a way. Breaking up with her just because of this petty reason is ridiculous.” Why do they have to blame it on her?

            “You get through all of that because of your fans. But this is a different situation. Maybe you forgot how disappointed your fans are for this? You’re starting to have negative image because of her! People even call you Athena’s Jaejoong! Do you know what that is? It’s stepping on your pride as a man! They only see you now as Athena’s boyfriend and not the Kim Jaejoong who made name for himself! Do you wish to go this direction?!Are you that insane to lose everything for her?”

 

This is the first time I’ve seen manager hyung this frustrated. He handles past situations well but this one is driving him mad.

 

 

            “I don’t care. People can say whatever they want to say. Minding about that is what cowards do. This will pass…..People will get over it. They’ll get tired of it.” Breaking up is NOT in my thoughts.

 

He helplessly runs his palm to his face.

 

            “Jaejoong ah….I’m trying my best to understand you…..but this is not the time to think only of what you feel. In the first place, this won’t happen if you just listen to me when I warned you. We already lost projects worth millions….”

 

I look him in the eyes.

 

            “Hyung…..I love her…” My head is getting heavy because of this discussion.

            “I know…I know….but you have to think. How about the possibility of losing what you worked hard for from the start? How about JYJ? If this pulls the other members down….what will you do?”

 

 

            “JYJ is not that weak. We’ll get through this.” I answer finishing the conversation.

 

 

 

 

****END of FLASHBACK****

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

Jaejoong pushes the cart as we go on our grocery shopping. We chose a supermarket with lesser customers to avoid drawing much attention from people.

 

I get a box of eggs while he browses at the vegetables on sale.

 

            “The lettuce looks fresh...” Jaejoong comments.“Should we eat samgyupsal?” he recommends after.

I nod in approval.

            “Isn’t that the actress Athena?” I heard a woman nearby says in her companion.

            “Huh? W-where?!”

            “That woman in white cap and eyeglasses...Omo! That man is Kim Jaejoong!”

            “The guy with knitted beanie is Kim Jaejoong!” A student utters.

            “Omo! They look so cute having their date while doing some grocery shopping!”

            “They are like any other couples....but they really stand out...”

 

Before they call other people’s attention, Jaejoong and I move. We pass by the liquor section.

 

            “Samgyupsal is the best with this.” He says.

            “You are refilling your stocks?” I ask.

I remember seeing some soju in his refrigerator in the video he sent me.

            “You think I always drink alcohol? How could you accuse me when you never been to my house?”

            “I don’t need to be there to know....I got evidence.” I say bluntly.

He blinks and thinks for a moment....then a smile curl his lips.

 

            “Ah...that? I told you it was the left over from a get-together with some friends....” he explains.

I smile because I find him cute.

            “Why are you nervous?” I take two bottles and put them in the cart. “Both of us have schedules tomorrow....we should not drink too much.”

 

We continue to walk.

 

            “By the way, how’s your new drama?” I randomly ask. I never heard more from him after he attended the meeting.

            “That drama? It......It was cancelled..”

            “Huh? Why, what happened?”

            “The network pull off the plug for it’s production...they needed the fund for the other

project..”

 

I’m also hearing some news about that kind of events recently.

 

            “Is that so? What a waste.....you prepared for it though...” I sigh.

 

That was supposed to be his TV comeback. I’m sure he’s sad that it got cancelled.

            “Are you okay?” I ask him.

He put on a smile.

            “Yes, I am...that can’t be helped. Anyway, we are in the process of selecting another project.” He says.

 

I feel relieved that he’s not taking it seriously.

 

            “Right....projects are like that...They come and go. Maybe it really wasn’t meant to be because there is a better project waiting for you....Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll do a drama in the coming months.” I say.

 

I can recommend him if I want to and surely he’ll be cast into a project but I won’t do that. I don’t  want him to feel bad about himself. It’s better to keep out of each other’s works.

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

[Author's Note]:

 

Hello people! Okay, troubles will be on the way for our Jaejoong-Athena couple. What do you think will happen?

Please comment and Happy reading. ^-^

 

P.S.  I'm asking for your understanding if I cannot update faster nowadays. It is really busy at work that I always go home beat up. :(  Anyway, let's all be positive and work hard!