Decision.Disappointment.Determination

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Hae Won’s POV

Ballet Studio

 

 

            “Aren’t you going back to US?”

 

Mae Ri’s question stopped me from my practice.

 

            “I mean, a promising ballerina like you obviously has a bright future in the foreign countries where ballet is popular...why stay here in Korea?” she adds in a wondering tone.

 

I swallow. The truth is I was supposed to join for an international competition but I didn’t do it because I was so eager to go back to Korea and meet Hee Jun Oppa. My parents and oppa are not aware of what I did

 

            “I...I love Korea.” I say with a smile.

 

Base on her expression, she didn’t buy it. I get a bottled water and sit on the floor like her. I  contemplate if I should tell her or not but in end, I decided to let it off my chest.

 

            “Mae Ri ah, do you know why I came back to Korea?”

She looks at me, willing to listen.

            “The last minute, I dropped an important competition because of my first love. That day, I packed my bag and just left everything...When I found out that he got a divorce, I couldn’t concentrate well...I wanted to see him so bad...I wanted him to know how I feel for him..”

 

I remember confessing and getting stood up by him. That’s the time I met Kim Junsu...the man I love now.

 

            “But I was rejected.” I smile shyly. “Like what you said, I should be back to the US....I even received my residency certificate last week....”

 

I applied for it even long before I return to Korea. I want to teach ballet in the same school I studied and I finally got it but....

 

            “And you are hesitating?” Mae Ri says what I can’t.

I stare at her.

            “There’s somebody right? He’s the reason of that hesitation.”

            “H-how did you know?”

            “You are noticeably blooming...I know that you are dating someone now. Is that your first love?”

I shook my head.

            “What do you mean?” she asks.

            “When I was rejected by him, that’s the end.....but unexpectedly, I met a man and I never thought that I’ll fall for him that easily.” I confess.

            “Oh my God.....” she utters.

            “I’m thinking of declining my residency.”

            “Omo! What are you saying?! Do you know how many ballerinas who wanted to be in your shoes? Why would you give up such wonderful chance? You know that you won’t grow if you’ll stay here but if you go back there, you can even be the youngest prima ballerina....”

            “I love my dream....I worked hard for everything but with him....It seems like my priorities changed. We love each other but long distance affair would be difficult. I don’t want us to drift apart...I love him so I’m choosing him.” I say with tears in my eyes.

            “Ottoke......You sure you won’t regret it?” she says with sympathy.

            “I won’t.”

 

She gives me a hug for comfort. Surely, I’ll always wonder about how life would turn out if I chose that path but I’m definite that Junsu is worth turning it down.

 

            “Whoever that guy is...he’s very lucky..” Mae Ri says.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

 

Finally, a work came. I have an exclusive magazine interview so there’s something to focus on aside from the problems I have about work and mom. I had a pictorial first before the interview.

 

Everything went well and I’m so glad with it until the actual interview.

 

            “Kim Jaejoong sshi, can you please tell us how your romance with Athena sshi blossomed?”

            “What kind of girlfriend Athena sshi is?”

            “As her boyfriend, is there a side to Athena that the public is not aware of?”

            “How do you spend time together?”

            “Is she a jealous girlfriend?’

 

 

The reporter kept asking things relevant to Athena making me uncomfortable and irritated. She only asked three actual questions about me and the entire interview turns into an Athena exclusive not mine.

 

 

            “How was it?” manager hyung asks after.

I sit in the van quietly and he notices the difference with my mood.

            “What happened?”

            “Next time, we’ll choose what project to do and not.” I put my headset on to listen to music. I didn’t say more and just close my eyes.

 

 

I got so excited to work that we didn’t look at the offer thoroughly. It’s not that I’m upset that they want to know about Athena but the fact that they are disrespectful. They couldn’t get them from her so they are trying to get it from me because we are dating. It was not an exclusive about me and my work but my personal life instead. I feel like I had been disrespected. They clearly took advantage of me.

 

It’s stepping on your pride as a man! They only see you now as Athena’s boyfriend and not the Kim Jaejoong who made name for himself!

 

I shook my head to get this thought away from my mind. 

           

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

I fix my stare on the cup of coffee in front of me that the waitress served a little while ago. Like the first time, it is still awkward to meet Jaejoong’s mom. Together with one of Jae’s noonas, they came to see me.

 

            “I hope you didn’t have a hard time travelling to Seoul just to meet me. You could have just called me and I’ll come to your house.” I say.

            “I know how busy you are so I decided to come personally.” She says.

Another awkward minute passed before she talks.

            “Treating you coldly the last time, I apologize for that...”

I look at her. Her facial expression is much better than the last time.

            “I’m not really like that. I tried to hold back my feelings but I think I’m not that good in doing that...so, I’m sorry.” I can say that her apology is genuine.

            “Don’t worry about it. I’m not taking it to heart.” I answer.

            “However, my opinion is still the same. I don’t like you for my son. It is not because of your upbringing...I don’t think I should ever judge other people’s way of upbringing their child but, I only think that you are no good for him. As a mother, I like only the best for my children. I don’t wish to see them having a hard time so as much as I could; I will guide them into the best path.”

 

I cannot contest with that. That is a given...no parents would like to see their children to suffer.

 

            “I admit...I may not be the best woman for Jaejoong. I will not try to defend myself in front of you on those matters for that’s been a part of my life before I met him. I made mistakes and no matter how I want to change them, it won’t be changed. Ma’am, if I have to look at it in your view, I’ll have the same opinion as you. He’s way too good for me and personally, I can’t even figure out why would Jaejoong choose me...I don’t know why he loves me...but that’s why I love him.”  My hand is curled into a tight fist under the table.

 

 

After being with him, I start to look at things I used to ignore and care about things I didn’t care about. Before, I don’t waste my time reading what people say about me online but now, I get to read comments about Jaejoong. They throw him harsh words he never received before and it’s because of me. I used to think that there’s nothing to regret in each action I did in past because they made me who I am today but now, realizing these deeds are being used by others to hurt Jaejoong, I can’t help but feel sorry towards him.

 

 

            “Kim Jaejoong for me is someone I value the most right now. He’s a half full type of person...with him, I feel like I can leave any burdens behind. I can breathe freely and be happy. I can hold my head up high because he’s there for me. My worries and insecurities, he can erase them with his stares. In every single sense, he means a lot to me.”

 

Tears start to cloud my vision and I stand from my seat and kneel in front of her.

 

            “This child! W-what are you doing?!” Mrs. Kim looks really surprise so as Jaejoong’s noona.

            “Athena sshi, you don’t have to do this....come back to your seat. Omma just want to talk to you...”  

I shook my head and look straight into their eyes.

 

            “Jaejoong never gave up on me so I will not give up on him too.” For him, I wouldn’t mind kneeling for as long as it needed to get his mother’s approval. “I know how important you are for him. Jaejoong loves you and he’s having a hard time because of us...I’ll do my best in order to be suitable for him in your eyes. I will work hard to show you and your family how sincere I am....Forgive my rudeness or rather my greediness, but I’m hoping that you’ll consider it carefully and give me a chance. One chance.....that’s all I’m asking...” tears fall from my eyes.

 

I don’t know if I can even fill at least half of what he did for me but I’ll give my whole heart. This time, I want to be the one to do something for Jaejoong.

 

            “I don’t understand why are you making it hard for me....” Jaejoong’s mom comments as she shook her head.