Under the public eye

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Park Ha’s POV

 

 

            “Thank you so much for sending your lawyer…” I tell Yoochun on the phone.

            “Don’t mention it. So, what happened?” he asks.

            “The ajusshi decided not to sue because of the counter lawsuit that ‘my lawyer’ would file if he does….”

 

The police told that ajusshi to pay for my moral damages but I refused. I don’t want to accept money from that person. I just want it all to be over.

 

            “Thank God…” he utters.

            “By the way, I just saw the drama teaser photos on the net.” I switch the topic. He’s

currently working on a new drama.

            “Ah..that?”

            “It looks great…I will look forward to it……Are you still on the set now?”

            “Hm. I feel lonely…Come here….” his voice becomes child-like.

We weren’t able to meet because of his busy filming schedules.

            “What will I do there?” I open the fridge to get some water.

            “Let’s pretend that you are my new stylist.” He suggests making me stop getting the pitcher for a moment.

            “Do you think your fans won’t find out? They know everyone around you.”

            “Yeah…except my lovely girlfriend..”

            “Do you want your fans to kill me? I don’t want to die…”

            “Aishh….” He sighs. “Maybe, I’ll escape during the break and go there.” He says.

            “Okay….I won’t sleep yet and wait for you.” I reply.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Hae Won’s POV

 

 

I look at the wall clock once more. I sigh. It’s already late….maybe he won’t really come again this time. I pick up my bag and heads out of the studio. It’s not the first time that Junsu broke his promise.

 

I open the door and see him rushing out of his car.

           

            “Hae Won ah…” he holds my arm. I didn’t look at him.

            “Sorry, I’m late….the sasaengs kept following so I have to get rid of them first…”

            “Why didn’t you call me?” I ask trying to control myself from bursting out my frustration.

            “I think they already found out about that phone. Someone sent me a message earlier. If I contact you using that phone, they’ll find out about you.”

 

Sasaengs….fans…reporters….why do they always get in between? I know Junsu is just trying to protect me from them so he’s doing his best so that we won’t be found out but there is a part of me that gets hurt because of this. Why do we have to hide our relationship? I’m trying to do my best and understand whenever he tells me that he won’t be able to come because of work or we can’t go anywhere aside from the studio and some selected restaurants because fans or reporters might see us but it really makes me sad inside. It’s like making the relationship a secret becomes the first priority now.

 

            “Let go…” I say.

            “Huh?”

            “Let go of me.”

He let go of my arm. He swallows knowing how upset I am. My tears roll down my face.

            “Hae Won ah…” he says in a worried tone.

I look down because I can’t stop my tears.

            “Hae Won ah….I’m sorry..” he  tries to hold both my shoulders but I refuse. I bit my lips and shake my head before walking away. I hail the first taxi that comes. I cry and cry inside the car.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

                                    

I stare at Athena as she focuses on the movie.

            “Athena…”

            “Hm?” her eyes are not leaving the TV.

            “Popcorn…”

She holds up the popcorn bowl.

            “Feed me…” I say using a cute tone.

 

Again, without looking at me she grabs some popcorn and put them towards my mouth. I munch for a moment and asked again for more so she feeds me for the second time.

 

            “Athena, popcorn…” I say again after.                            

She passes the bowl to me.

            “There. Eat as much as you want. You have your own hands so don’t disturb me. Can’t you see I’m watching here?” she looks at the monitor again.

            “Chincha....So cold-hearted….” I mutter.

 

She’s the only woman who can ignore me like this but still; she’s the woman I love.

 

I stand up and go in front of the TV pretending to be looking for something.

 

            “What are you doing? Move aside…you are covering the TV…” she complains.

I turn to her and dance foolishly. She stares at me with furrowed eyebrows.

            “Yah! Are you retard?” she says.

I ignore her and continue to dance like a fool until she smiles and laugh.

            “Finally….” I stop. “I have to be a ‘retard’ just to get your attention…”

            “So you find the movie your competition? But you are the one who suggested for us to

watch it….” She talks back.

I join her on the couch. She turns off the TV with the remote control.

            “Dance for me again.” She says. I know I already got her attention.

 

I stand in front of her and dance foolishly. She laughs. Her laugh is the sweetest. It’s like a reward I get whenever I make her laugh. It is also contagious that I always end up laughing too.

 

            “Your fans will leave you once they see you like that.” She says in between her laughter.

            “No, they won’t.” and I dance even more.

 

After a while I lean down and give her a peck on the lips before sitting next to her. I kiss her again but she blows air to my face because of the laughter she’s holding.

 

            “We have a viewer..” she says.

I turn to see Jiji on the floor looking at us.

            “Jiji….play around…” I try to make him go but he didn’t. “Chincha…” Why did I ever think of bringing Jiji now?

            “I remember, tomorrow’s the premier of your movie, right?” she asks.

            “Yup.” I try to hold Jiji but he runs away. Bad cat....

            “I don’t think I should go.” Athena says making me turn to her.

            “Huh? Why?”

            “It’s your first movie so people should only focus on you and your acting.  My presence won’t help.”

 

I get her point. She doesn’t want to attract people’s attention to her or to the two of us on the  movie premier.

 

            “Okay.” I nod. She looks at me.

            “Don’t worry….everything will be good. People will like your movie because you did your best in it.” She encourages me. She knows how anxious I am about it since it’s my first ever film.

            “I couldn’t be there so instead, wear this.” She takes off her left earring. It is a simple, round, diamond earring. “It’s like I’m with you.” She says putting it on me while keeping the other one to herself.

 

 

Diamond-Earring-Diamond-Stud-Bezel-Set-6

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

I found out that some of my fans and some JYJ fans had a fight earlier outside the building. The bazaar got hold for an hour because of that. I feel bad about it so I decided to leave the bazaar and visit some of my fans who were brought to the hospital.

 

            “Are they sasaengs or regular JYJ fans?” Hae Won asks. She came to the event to help me out so she heard about the incident too.

            “I’m not sure….” I sigh.

            “Can I go with you Athena unni?”

I stare at her for a moment.

            “A-alright.” I answer after.

We ride the van.

            “What really happened?” I ask Ms. Go.

            “The security said that the two groups had some argument about you and Jaejoong. You know, fan stuff….so the security didn’t pay much attention to that. The next thing they know is that it turns into a physical fight.”

 

I close my eyes. Why do they have to go that far?

 

            “Do you think they are JYJ sasaengs or just fans?” Hae Won asks her.

            “I don’t know. We are not that familiar with them since they are JYJ’s…”

She didn’t say anything after. I’m sure she’s thinking about that too.

 

 

We arrive at the hospital. I want to know about their condition. They are five in total and all of them are high schoolers. I feel even burdened when they smile at me as if the injuries are nothing. They are still happy to see me. I told them how sad I am that this happened and made them promise not to fight again just because of me.

 

            “Athena unni, don’t let those crazy girls meddle with you and Jaejoong oppa…”

            “Yes, you should be happy with the one you love. It’s you and Jaejoong oppa’s business so they don’t have any rights to make you break up.”

            “We’ll always be here to support you.”

            “As long as the two of you are happy, don’t mind about anything else. They are just jealous that Kim Jaejoong chose you and not them.”

            “Those fans are out of their mind. Let them die because of envy.”

I give them a half smile.

            “Don’t worry….just don’t get involve with any fight okay?”

They nod.

            “You are still students…you should be in school not here…I’m sure your parents are so upset now.”

 

Once I left the room, I met the parents outside. I bow at them and apologize for what happened. One of the mothers is really angry and scolds me but the rest are understanding enough not to make a big fuzz about it.

 

I ask my manager to go to the cashier and pay for the hospital bills of those fans. Hae Won and I proceed to the van outside.

 

 

 

            “Omo! Some girls are following us…” Hae Won says with wide eyes.

            “Don’t mind them.” I tell her.

            “Yah! You really are thick face!” a girl says.

            “How dare you seduce Jaejoong oppa?!”

            “Unni…”

            “Just ignore them.” We continue to walk.

            “You even have the guts to wear a couple earring with Oppa?! Are you really making us annoyed?!”

 

Then somebody throws an egg to me. I was very surprised that I stop walking.

 

            “Unni!” Hae Won exclaims.

            “Your face makes me sick!” the girl even spits at me.

            “Stop it! What are you doing?!” Hae Won yells at them.

            “Don’t say anything Hae Won…” I whisper. It won’t be good if she gets involved too.

            “Don’t think that you’ll be happy with Jaejoong oppa! We will make you miserable, !”

 

I grab Hae Won’s arm and pulls her towards the van. The driver comes out and helps us get into the vehicle.

 

Hae Won gets some tissue paper and wipes my hair.

 

            “They are really bad! How could they do such thing?” she utters. “Why didn’t you fight them unni?”

            “That’s what they want. If I do that, they’ll just reverse the situation telling everyone that I hurt them. I’m a public figure so I have something to lose than them. I need to be careful too.”

 

She looks at me like she’s hurting too.

 

            “Being on a relationship under the spotlight is quite tough….Junsu did a good decision to keep you away from it.”

 

She didn’t say anything and falls into her own thoughts.

 

Ms. Go boards the van.

 

            “Why did you move here?” she asks the driver. She’s wondering why the van moves to the hospital gate.

            “Omo! What happened?!” she worriedly asks when she sees my hair.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

I finish washing my hair. I look at myself in the mirror. This is the first time in my eight years as a celebrity, to be thrown egg at and have somebody to spit on me. I thought being slapped and cursed are the worse but I was wrong. I couldn’t defend myself and decided to bear it because of the consequence that it may bring. It’s now different from before….I cannot only think of myself and handle things the way I want to. Jaejoong will be affected if I won’t think well.

 

But the truth is I am disturbed by this and it can’t get out of my head. To be able to protect Jaejoong that way is good but having my pride stepped on like that hurts. Letting myself get treated like a rug by those girls is degrading. It lessens my morale.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Yoochun’s POV

 

I read the online article about Athena getting egg bombed by a sasaeng fan. They even spit on her.

 

            “Well…she deserves it.”

 

            “I don’t feel sorry for Athena. She puts herself in this kind of situation.”

 

            “God! Fans do such things?! It’s scary to be a celebrity!”

 

            “Ottoke?! What will Jaejoong do now?”

 

            “It’s because of a couple earring?! What’s wrong with those sasaengs? They are a COUPLE so what’s wrong with wearing a couple item?! They really are sick in the head!”

 

            “What’s good with that woman that they try to defend her? She dates one after another, she behaves like a diva, she is an attention-seeking , and she’s a home wrecker too. She doesn’t even address Jaejoong as her boyfriend with her own mouth! There’s nothing good on her!”

 

            “Yeah…I agree. She denied him but when he admitted that he’s dating her, they start showing themselves in public?! She’s not even saying sorry for lying! She’s really shameless to think that she can date him just like that. She doesn’t respect the fans!”

 

            “That’s true! Jaejoong went and supported her in her movie but she was a no show on his movie premier. She doesn’t value Jaejoong oppa at all!”

 

            “Fans are getting overboard. Why do you have to bully her like that? Do you know what’s really happening between them? You are pathetic and just trying to put harm on other people’s relationship. Seriously, give these two a break!”

 

 

I bit my lower lip after reading some comments under the article. I feel sorry for this couple especially to Athena. She’s getting all the backlash from people. She had been through a lot in the past making her mum about her private life. The people should not be dragging her private life like that in public.

 

            “I don’t want anybody get in between us in exchange of telling them of who am I to you.

I’m contented knowing that I can also protect you this way.”

 

I remember what Park Ha said. Maybe she’s right. Keeping our relationship from people’s knowledge will be better. It’s hard but no one will meddle. I could go on with my career without any problem and she can continue having a quiet life.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

I stop the car. Athena looks at the shopping district in front of us.

 

            “This is where we are going?” she asks.

I nod.

            “But, it’s a public place…can’t you see, there are lots of people in the street?”

            “More people, the better.” I took off my seatbelt and go out of the car. I go around to the other side to open her door. She looks at me with a confused expression but she goes out anyway. I hold her hand.

            “Jaejoong…”

            “This is our date not theirs…let’s go.”

 

 

 

I found out about the sasaeng incident through internet. I was on another place for a schedule that time and she didn’t even tell me.  When I asked her, she just dismissed it saying it’s not that important. I know that our sasaengs are harassing her since day one though Athena is not making a big deal about it. I know that it is really difficult to get bullied by them so I worry a lot about her.

Today, I decided to take her on a date in a public place. We are not doing anything wrong so we  shouldn’t be hiding. I’m proud of her as my girlfriend so I would like everyone to know that especially my sasaengs.

 

We stroll the crowded street. We visit different shops and even sit at a bench while sipping on our drinks. People are gathering around taking some pictures and that makes Athena feel awkward. It shouldn’t be like this I thought. I hold her hand and we stand. We walk while people follow us  around. Athena looks only at me and the ground. She’s not comfortable with all the attention we are getting.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

People follow us as we walk around and it makes me uncomfortable. Jaejoong holds my hand tighter and we enter a record store.

 

            “Annyeonghaseyo. How’s the business, ajusshi?” Jaejoong greets the ajusshi on the counter.

            “Great…great…aren’t you a singer?”

            “Yes…I am.”

            “She’s an actress too, right?” ajusshi asks looking at me. I bow slightly.

            “Yes, she is…Ajusshi, can we look around for a moment?”

            “Sure…sure..”

And we walk inside.

            “Whaa….there are lots of new releases…” he utters looking at the music albums on display.

He stops at the JYJ album rack with the ‘HOT’ label on it.

 

            “Ajusshi, how’s the sales for this?” he asks the ajusshi on the counter while holding on to JYJ repackaged album.

            “Ah, that is one of our top-sellers.” He answers.

            “Really?! Wow, I feel relieved.” Jaejoong says with a smile.

I couldn’t help but smile. How shameless….asking about the sales of his own album?

            “Do you really have to ask that?”

He shrugs his shoulders.

            “It’s an instinct…” he says.

 

My smile fades when I notice the people from the other side of the glass walls. They are snapping some pictures using their phones. I look around the store and see some girls not far away from us. They are looking at us too. Again, I feel stuffy. Could it be possible that some sasaengs are around too?

 

Jaejoong suddenly puts on a headset on me. He presses a button and a random song plays. He probably noticed how I’m feeling so he did it to keep my mind away from that.

 

 

I wanna run (run)

Smash into you

I wanna run (run)

And smash into you

 

He hold on to both sides of the headset and focuses my sight on his face. Through the song that comes from the headset, I read his lips.

 

            “Don’t pay attention to what other people will say. Look only at me…Listen only to me…You don’t have to be perfect for them because you already are for me and that’s the only thing that matters…” he says.

 

Tears start clouding my eyes.

 

Ears closed

What I hear no one else has to know

Cause' I know

That what we have is worth first place in gold

And I'm soaked in your love

And love is right in my path, in my grasp

And me and you belong, oh...

           

            “Do you trust me?” I hear him asks.

 

I nod. He smiles and I do the same.