A helping hand

Nyongtory one-shot anthology

*Alternative universe chapter*

 

Seungri
 
It was freezing and I wrapped my fingers around the edge of my jacket and pulled it further around my body. It was mid December and nearing Christmas which meant that people were on the hunt for Christmas presents. I was on my way back from work, not really in the festive spirit. I had left work later than usual as I had to nail the new dance routine for the students – that was my job, a dance instructor. It was nearly eleven o’clock at night and it was starting to snow. 

I got to the bus stop and sat down before hauling my furnace flask of coffee out of the side bag I had at my hip. It was only when I heard a sniffle that I realized I wasn't alone. At the other end of the bus stop, there was a figure hunched over. 

His hair was a washed out pink colour and he was wearing battered ripped jeans and a thin jacket. The converse on his feet were falling apart. His head was slouched on the side of the bus Stop and his eyes were closed. His cheekbones caved in and worry lines were etched above his nose as he was frowning. 

I hesitated. Maybe he was waiting for his bus home and if I didn't wake him, he would miss it. I got up and approached the figure. He was shivering in the cold and I could see how skinny he was the way his jeans hung low from his hips. 

When I hesitantly reached out and tapped him, he jumped up and clutched onto the small falling apart bag that he had on his lap. His eyes were wide and terrified as I stepped back in shock. 

"Please, it's all I have. Don't take it away." he pleaded and I saw the immense weight in his eyes before it hit me. He was homeless. 

"Whoa, I'm not going to take anything. I promise" his shoulders stayed tense and I took a step back. "I thought you might miss your bus if you stayed asleep" his face creased in embarrassment. 

"I uh- I wasn't waiting for the bus" he mumbled. I nodded. 

"Oh" it went silent and all that could be heard was the soft pitter patter of the rain mixed with snow hitting the ground. 

"How old are you kid?" I asked, thumbing the outline of my flask thoughtfully. "T-twenty three" he answered. I almost dropped the flask. How was he older than me? He looked seventeen maybe eighteen. 

"And your name?" I probed again, hoping to get something out of the boy. 

"J-JiYong" he stuttered. I nodded. 

"I'm Seunghyun or Seungri whichever you prefer" 

"Why are you talking to me?" he said abruptly. I twisted the flask in my hand again and thought about it. 

"You looked like you needed someone to talk to" I shuffled my hand through my bag and brought out my uneaten lunch. "And something to eat" his eyes widened as he looked at the fully packed lunch box with wonder suspiciously. 

"Here" I put it into his trembling hands and watched as he stared at it with disbelief. I saw my bus coming and slid off the cheap but warm coat I was wearing. His eyes were too engrossed in the food and he didn't even see as I placed it next to him on the bench before getting on the bus. 

Maybe I was feeling festive after all. 

It was only after the bus started to drive away that he looked up and saw the coat. Tears filled his eyes and I watched with a happy smile as he clutched it to his chest and pulled it over his shoulders. A gummy smile filled his handsome features and he looked after the bus with a look of wonder in his eyes. 

A week and a half passed and I didn't see JiYong again. It was Christmas Eve and I finished earlier than usual so I decided to walk around Seoul. I hadn't made any plans to visit my family for Christmas so I was spending it alone. 

My apartment was small and I didn't mind, I would just sit out a few Christmas movies and some popcorn and it would be fun. It was times like this that I wanted a girl friend. 

My dance school was near Yongsan and as I walking down one of the alley ways I saw a group of boys having a fight. Usually I would choose to ignore it and carry on walking, but as I glanced over the fight- as one does- I recognized the mop of faded pink hair on the ground. JiYong. 

It wasn't a fight, I soon realized, he wasn't fighting back. It was seven against one. He lay in a fetal position whilst they kicked at his body like it was dirty washing on their bedroom floor. The insults they hurled at him were cruel, they tore the jacket I had given him a few days ago off of him and he finally cried out, clawing to get it back but he was just kicked down again. 

I dropped my side bag and ran over. "What the hell do you think you are doing?!" I bellowed in the deepest and most threatening voice I could manage. 

"Piss off farm boy" one of them laughed. 

"My brother is a police officer" I lied "and unless you want to end up behind bars waiting for you pretty mummy to bail you out, I would skit. NOW" I shouted. They looked at each other before rolling their eyes. The ring leader gave JiYong one more kick before slinking off with the rest of his s. 

"He isn't worth it anyway" one of the last ones hissed, spitting on JiYong’s hair " for brains" he flipped me off before finding the rest of his group. 

Only when they were out of sight did I relax. They actually bought the bull about my brother. I jogged over to JiYong and helped him up. His face was pretty badly bashed and I cringed at the sight of blood and spit in his hair.

"Let’s get you cleaned up ey?" I smiled fondly at him. He curled into himself as I guided him back to the bus stop. He was barely conscious and kept his head low against his chest. I pulled him back to the bus stop and asked him about it. 

"Why were they attacking you?" he looked away and I only noticed that his shoes were gone and he was left in just his socks - his big toe was poking out the hole and I cringed in pure pity. 

"JiYong" his head snapped up at the sound of his name. 

"C-can you say it again?" he whispered. 

"JiYong" I repeated. He smiled and leant his bruised head against the back of the bus stop. 

"You don't know how long it's been since somebody else said my name" he whispered, mainly to himself. I reached under his chin and lifted his head up. 

"JiYong. Why were they attacking you?" he closed his eyes. 

"They just hate me" it was barely audible, more like a sigh than words. 

"Why?" it was a simple question. 

"I slept in their territory" he smiled grimly. "Apparently they own those bins" I winced, he knew I would be uncomfortable with those words. 

"B-bins?" I gulped. 

"Sometimes I can get some cardboard, if I'm lucky" he was no longer smiling. A sincere and sad look had over shadowed his face.
 
“You know it’s Christmas tomorrow right?” his face lifted in shock. I had tried my best to change the subject.
 
“I-I saw gifts in shop windows and the lights were really pretty. People gave me more money than usual so I guessed it was nearly Christmas.” He looked down at the floor in embarrassment. “I’m sorry, I’m burdening you with all my ‘problems’ you probably don’t care” he mumbled off at the end.
 
“I do care” he shivered even more and wrapped his thin arms around his torso. “Why – if you don’t mind me asking – don’t you go with your family?” I knew that this was probably a sensitive topic.
 
“T-they abandoned me when I – I started being stupid. It’s my fault I’m like this, I started doing bad things-“ he stopped and pulled the sleeve of his thin shirt over his hand.
 
“It’s fine you don’t have to tell me” I urged, not wanting him to be uncomfortable.
 
“I don’t do drugs anymore, I stopped a while back when I overdosed and woke up in the Han River, nearly .” He shivered. “No, never again” he choked. I hesitantly wrapped an arm around his shoulders.
 
“D-do you want to spend Christmas with me I mean you don’t have a home and I was going to spend Christmas alone” JiYong tensed up as I asked him that.
 
“W-what do you want in return?” he asked suspiciously. “I really don’t have anything to give you but I could-”
 
“What? I don’t want anything; I was just wandering if you wanted to stay.” He visibly relaxed and looked down at the floor. “I need to clean you up anyway…” I encouraged. His whole frame was shaking with cold as he considered my offer.
 
“I guess…I mean- it would totally inconvenience you so-”
 
“Hey, I’m the one who offered, I wouldn’t have offered if it inconvenienced me” he nodded and agreed to what I said.
 
There was a tense silence before he spoke again “Sorry if I smell, I haven’t showered in ages” he mumbled, cocooning into his old embarrassed self.
 
“You don’t, but you can shower at my place” I smiled. He nodded again and chewed on his lip nervously.
 
“Thanks man. I mean it, thank you. Nobody has talked to me like this in more than a year, nobody gave me food or a coat or offered to take me in” he sobbed slightly and started tearing up. I pulled his shoulder in to my chest and cradled him whilst he cried silently. People walking past the bus stop started looking at us weirdly. It was pretty obvious that JiYong was homeless and I was not so we looked a bit weird right now but I didn’t care, this boy was too young and too innocent to be living out on the streets.
 
The bus soon came and an hour later we arrived at my apartment. He looked around nervously as he stepped over the threshold and into my meagerly decorated apartment. I had put a fake Christmas tree up and some lights around the mantel piece. JiYong looked around in wonder.
 
“Your house is huge” he gaped as he carefully kept his hands to himself.
 
“Do you want to eat or shower first?” I asked, slightly nervous myself.
 
“Uh, if it’s okay, I – uh would like a shower” I nodded and guided him to the bathroom at the other end of my apartment. He looked even more shocked and I handed him a white fluffy towel.
 
“Use any of the soap and stuff. I’ll leave some clothes outside” he nodded and I shut the door before going into my bedroom and looking through my wardrobe. When I had pulled out some comfy sweats and one of my pajama shirts, I left it by the bathroom door and was about to leave when I heard JiYong’s voice.
 
“Seungri-ssi, could you help me please” I opened the bathroom door and looked inside. JiYong stood next to the shower enveloped in one of the huge towels I had left him. He didn’t need to explain the problem and I realized that my fancy shower was probably beyond confusing. I smiled and opened the door to the shower before turning some of the knobs and sliding the temperature up. “There you go” I grinned, leaping out of the shower before I got wet.
 
“Thanks” he said, beyond embarrassed.
 
“No problem” I laughed, closing the bathroom door behind me as I proceeded to the kitchen. I heated the pan of Kkongchi-jorim soup up on the stove. It gave a glorious smell and I hummed as I served it into two bowls. I felt really pleased that I had asked JiYong to stay; I would give him a nice Christmas.

 

I jumped as JiYong appeared in the door way, he stood there silently, obviously nervous. The clothes that I had given him were way too big for his tiny frame. The pants hung low at his hips no matter how much he pulled them up. The ends of the sweater hung a good three inches below his hands. His pink hair was wet and hung over his eyes as he observed me from the doorway.

 

“Dinner?” I offered. His face lifted and he inched forward slowly and I had to push him into the chair and shove the bowl in front of his face so he knew it was real. I gave him a pair of metal chopsticks and a spoon before sitting opposite him and starting on mine. He tasted the food tentatively before picking up the spoon and digging into the meat. I watched with smiling eyes as I slurped on my own food.

 

He had seconds, and thirds and then we did the washing up together. He was quiet and jittery and I could understand why. It wasn’t every day that a random man let you stay in his house. He broke a glass and started crying. I reached up to comfort him and tell him that it was fine but he flinched away from my touch and I pulled my hand back.

 

“It’s fine, JiYong. It’s only a glass, don’t cry” he still sobbed “Did you think I was going to hit you?” I asked, softly.

 

“Um, I thought you’d be angry” he choked through the tears. I hugged him quickly.


“Of course I wouldn’t hit you” I scoffed. Damn I felt bad for JiYong. When I had cleaned up the glass from the floor, I set up a bed for him in the spare bedroom. He looked at the thick duvet and mattress with wonderment in his eyes.

 

“For…me?” he questioned. I nodded and encouraged him towards the bed.

 

“Make yourself at home” I smiled. He nodded and carefully sat down on the bed. As I was about to leave the room he spoke again.

 

“Thank you, Seunghyun. Sincerely, thanks” I walked over to him and ruffled his now nearly dry hair.

 

“It’s fine, I like helping out. Everybody deserves somebody to be with at Christmas” he nodded and I left him alone in the room before going to my own room to get some sleep. As I tried to sleep, I couldn’t help but wonder what I should do with JiYong tomorrow. Maybe we could just watch movies and I would try to feed him up.

 

 

I was woken up at half past nine by somebody ringing my door bell. Who the hell was it? I stumbled out of bed and threw a t-shirt on before doing a bee line to the front door. I opened the door and was greeted by an enthusiastic man named Youngbae.

 

“Merry Christmas, Ri” he shouted and hugged me. I was barely awake and I returned the hug without enthusiasm.

 

“What are you doing here?” I questioned uncertainly. He grinned and dropped his shoes onto the rack before answering.

 

“You said you didn’t have anybody to spend Christmas with so I decided to pay a surprise visit. I brought a load of DVDs so you can’t refuse.” He smirked, hanging his coat up and entering my living room. “Damn you have meager decorations, my mum went all out this year, fake reindeer in the front garden and everything.” He breathed out and grinned before placing a parcel under the tree.

 

I smiled softly to myself. “Do you want some tea or something?” he looked up from the couch, cheeks red from the cold outside.

 

“Yeah, sure anything you got is great” I grinned and went to the kitchen before freezing in my tracks. , I forgot JiYong was here. Not that Youngbae would care. I shrugged and decided that Youngbae could meet JiYong when JiYong woke up. I boiled the kettle and made tea for both of us before going back into the living room.

 

He was looking at my CD shelf and was thumbing through the Christmas playlists. It was tradition for my sister to give me a Christmas CD every year. Last year it had been Michael Bublé and I hadn’t enjoyed it when she forced me to listen to it. I handed him the cup of herbal tea and sat on the sofa with a sigh.

 

He sipped the tea with a thanks before going back to rummaging. “So what about your family, don’t you want to spend Christmas with them?” he looked up.

 

“Nah, I do every year, plus my dad was trying to set me up with some chick from his company. That was a no go area, I’m y free and single. I don’t need no woman holding me down.” I grinned at his attitude to woman.

 

“Fair enough…play boy” he chased me with a CD case and laughed, jumping over the sofa to get away from him.

 

“You know, of all people – that I’m not like that” I nodded, knowing that he was right. Youngbae was as innocent as they got. We both jumped when someone coughed on the other side of the room. I spun around and saw JiYong standing there. His hair was sticking up everywhere and his eyes were still puffy from sleep.


“S-Sorry to interrupt” he sniffed “I – uh I can go if you want Seunghyun-ssi” he was stuttering and I immediately felt a pang of guilt.

 

“No no JiYong, stay – I’m sorry. This is Youngbae, my best friend” I gestured to the confused man on my right. Youngbae was looking at JiYong weirdly, probably because he thought that he had met all of my friends.

 

“Uh- hi…JiYong…” he stumbled. “Should I call you just that or are you older?”

 

“I’m 23” JiYong mumbled and Youngbae’s brows lifted in shock.

 

“Whoa, no offence but you look way younger than that” he stuttered “I’m 23 as well so I’ll just call you JiYong” that settled it.

 

“I suppose I should call you hyung” I suddenly thought and said to JiYong. It was his turn to be shocked and then he turned beat red and looked away.

 

“If you like” he mumbled bashfully. I let a smile slide onto my lips.

 

“Seungri-ah, can I talk to you for a moment.” Youngbae asked, pulling on my sleeve. I nodded and looked at JiYong.


“Go ahead and help yourself to anything in the kitchen.” I said directly to JiYong before being pulled away by Youngbae.

 

“Who the hell is that, Seungri?” he whispered “I’ve never met him before” I debated whether to tell Youngbae that JiYong was homeless and decided to, seeing as Youngbae was an understanding person and he wouldn’t judge JiYong.

 

“He – uh. I found him on the streets” Youngbae choked on his own spit.

 

“What?!”

 

“He’s homeless Youngbae, he got kicked out by his own parent and I saw him being beaten up by some gang and I saved him” I was speaking way to fast and I saw Youngbae trying to process the information. “He looked so lonely and pitiful and I just had to take him in.” This time he nodded.

 

“Okay, I mean your twenty one years old and can make decisions for yourself but what about when he has to go. You can’t keep him here forever!”

 

“I’ll help him find a job, bae. I just want to help him – he’s so thin and I don’t know how much longer he could have survived out there” Youngbae chewed on his lip nervously.

 

“He seemed nice enough,  I guess so I will try and get along with him” I pulled him into a hug.

 

“Thanks Bae, it means a lot.” He pulled me back into the kitchen and found that JiYong hadn’t moved from where we left him. He just stood there, playing with the ends of the shirt I had given to him.

 

“Hey, Ji – I said help yourself to whatever” he looked up quickly and frowned softly.

 

“Sorry, Seunghyun-ssi –”

 

“Call me Seungri, or Ri, I don’t mind” he blushed again and I smiled to myself.

 

“Sorry Seungri, I just didn’t know what I could and couldn’t have so I waited for you-”

 

“Aish, Ji- take whatever you like” he nodded but still stood still. I groaned and grabbed his hand, leading him to the table. “I’ll get you something then” he blushed for the nth time this morning and I went to make him some breakfast.

 

JiYong and Youngbae talked over breakfast and JiYong opened up a bit; telling us more about what it was like being homeless. I was shocked at some of the things he had been made to do to get a little food or money. It was a horrible life and I shuddered to think about what it was like for him out there.

 

After breakfast we started our movie marathon and as promised, I made pop corn and got all the junk food from my cupboard out. We lay on the sofa under piles of blanket and pillows. JiYong rested his head against my lap and I tugged my fingers through his thick pink mop – he sighed with pleasure before returning his eyes to the television. Youngbae sat on my left with his feet resting on my legs. I leant back and rested my head against his chest before I continued playing with JiYong’s hair.

 

JiYong fell asleep at some point and I watched him fondly, seeing the happy look on his face made me happy. The way his eyes lit up when I turned the lights to the Christmas tree on and the way his face shined when I introduced him to his first eggnog – it was so pleasing and it filled my with joy knowing that I had made somebody’s Christmas special.

 

“You’re a really good person, Ri” Youngbae whispered to me. We both looked at JiYong before I answered.

 

“He needs a family, Bae – I just want to be there for him”

 

 

Thanks for reading my alternative universe chapter.

Thank you so much to all those who have been commenting and upvoting and subscribing. 63 subscribers might not seem like a lot but it means so much to me that people actually want to read my story!!