Sick [Part 1]

Nyongtory one-shot anthology

PLEASE COMMENT AFTERWARDS!!

 

The drip was hurting my arm and I closed my eyes and tried to block out the pain. It was my third day in hospital. Mum couldn’t stay, she had to go to work, after staying with me for the past two days, she knew that she couldn’t miss anymore if she didn’t want to be reprimanded. Dad was away again, he wouldn’t be back from his business trip for a while.

 

After I had collapsed again on Thursday, my dad had been calling non stop to see how I was, I missed him so much. Having cancer , the loneliness got too much sometimes and I just wanted somebody to be there with me 24/7, when I was crying, when I was feeling low – I sighed and opened my eyes, knowing that wasn’t going to happen.

 

There was only two other families in the ward today, a small girl sat with her parents, she was eating and her parents were talking quietly. The other family was an older man, his wife was sitting with him and I smiled as they talked quietly, but the loving glances were clear enough.

 

I reached to the side and picked my phone up. The reflection that greeted me in the shiny screen always shocked me, every time I saw myself. My face had lost all of its baby fat, it was skinny and slightly gaunt, and my dark circles were to be reckoned with. All of my hair had fallen out months ago and my sister had given me a dark knitted beanie to keep my head warm, I wore it at all times. A tube was stuck up my nose and the wire spread across the side of my face, it kept me fed – so I couldn’t complain.

 

I was lost in my thoughts and I didn’t here the door open, I looked up to see a guy, around my age, possibly older, rushing towards the family with the little girl. He dropped his bag and wrapped the little girl in his arms, she hugged him back.

 

“Oppa, I missed you so much!” she yelled, burying her face in who I assumed to be her older brothers neck.

 

“Omo, Hyo-ie – you look so much better.” He pulled back and pinched her cheeks slightly. “How are you feeling?” he asked kindly. I watched the interaction with envy. I wanted an older brother or sister to take care of me.

 

“A lot better, Oppa. The doctor said I can go home in a few weeks!” I saw a flicker of a frown cross her brothers face before he recomposed himself.

 

“That’s such good news!” he paused “I got you a present.” He whispered, bopping her nose playfully.

 

“Omo, what did you get me?” the little girl exclaimed excitedly. The brother reached down and brought a big bag out from his other bag. She leapt up excitedly and he handed it to her.

 

It was the fluffiest toy I had ever seen, it was so big. The little girl pulled it to her chest and hugged it tightly. “It has a necklace, see?” The brother undid it from around the toys neck and swiped the little girls hair out of the way before doing it up around her neck. She looked down and examined the charm with wonder.

 

“I love you.” She smiled, pulling the boy into an even tighter hug. He smiled into her hair and I looked away, not wanting to invade their privacy. They talked quietly amongst themselves and I got back to looking through my phone. I had to call Hanna and see how her school work was going, mum hadn’t told her I collapsed again and she didn’t know I was still in hospital. It went to voice mail and I assumed that she was still in the study hall so I put my phone away again.

 

A few minutes later, the nurse came in and took my blood pressure. The boy from earlier glanced over and I met his gaze before looking away again. “How are you feeling, Seunghyun-ah?” the nurse asked kindly.

 

“Light headed, the blood transfusion was quite tiring.” I answered honestly.

 

“Neh, I can imagine, you lost a lot of blood in your last collapse.” I nodded along, not wanting to remember the blood coming out of my nose, my ears, my mouth – it was horrible. I shuddered at the memory.

 

“How much longer do I have to stay?” I asked.

 

“A few more days, Seunghyun-ah, you can’t rush yourself with this.” I nodded. When the nurse had left again, I curled up on the bed and picked my manga up from the table. I was half way through and I pulled the bookmark out before carrying on. It soon got dark and the other family left, the boy looked at me again as he was leaving and I shrunk under his gaze. It wasn’t that it was a mean look, he was just quite handsome and I was shy.

 

The little girl tossed and turned in the bed next to mine before she finally turned around to face me. “What is your name?” she whispered.

 

“Seunghyun” I replied “but my friends call me Seungri” I replied in a whisper.

 

“Seungri” she repeated. “Why are you here?” she asked. I blinked at the question.

 

“I have cancer. Lymphomas to be precise” I said simply. She nodded, and didn’t seem sympathetic – I liked that.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“I’m HyoKi, but Oppa calls me Hyo and you can too if you’d like” she sighed “I have cancer too. Neuro- neuro something.”

 

“Neuroblastoma?” I finished for her and she nodded.

 

“Yeah that’s it!” she sighed “my brother said that you looked really sad and that I should talk to you.” My head snapped up at the mention of her brother.

 

“And what is your brothers name?” I asked, awaiting her answer eagerly.

 

“JiYong.” I mouthed the name to myself. “He asked me to find out your name for him.” I smiled at the comment.

 

“Oh did he?” she nodded eagerly.

 

“Yeah and he kept looking over at you to see if you were still sad.” I lowered my eyes and smiled to myself.

 

“I wasn’t sad, just lonely.” I commented.

 

“Don’t your mummy and daddy come and visit you?” I shook my head slightly.

 

“They do sometimes but they are both very busy at the moment.” She nodded and yawned.

 

“Goodnight Seungri Oppa.” I smiled.

 

“Goodnight Hyo, sleep well.” I laughed quietly to myself about how abruptly she had ended the conversation. I sighed and turned over, trying to forget the ache at the back of my head.

 

Weeks passed and little Hyo and I became fast friends. We went on walks around the hospital together when I was strong enough to get out of bed. JiYong had only been a few more times and I had only caught a glimpse of him as the nurse was examining me when he came. Hyo was the most energetic and sweet kid I had ever met, she idolised her brother more than anybody in the world and I wanted to have a proper conversation with him, he just seemed to wonderful.

 

The treatment was going alright, but I found myself in bed more and more, it got harder and harder to keep my food down and I had another collapse when I was walking with Hyo. It had been horrible.

 

JiYong was coming to see Hyo and we had gone for a walk because she wanted to show him how strong she was getting. I had been feeling sick since the morning but had agreed because I didn’t want to let Hyo down. So we went off and decided to meet her brother half way. As we had begun walking, I started to notice that my hands were shaking, even the one Hyo was holding onto.

 

My knees began to shake. “Look there’s JiYong Oppa!” Hyo called and I smiled down at her, not noticing the blood that began to run out of my nose. She let go of my hand and I immediately wiped the blood away.

 

“” I muttered to myself. A pounding headache quickly had me on the floor. It was as though somebody was shoving a pin through the side of my head.

 

“Omo, Seungri!” I heard Hyo call. I clutched onto my head and cried out in pain. I felt soft hands on my shoulder and I opened my eyes to see warm brown ones that resembled Hyo’s staring down at me. Soon I felt other hands on me and I passed out in their arms.

 

I woke up to bright light, I was back in my hospital bed, the IV drip was back and I groaned subconsciously and opened my eyes. “Seungri?” it was Hyo. She was looking at me anxiously with her brother by her side. I winced at the light and winced at the pain in my head.

 

“Crap, I collapsed again didn’t I?” Hyo nodded sombrely.

 

“You scared me so much, Ri, I didn’t know what was happening.” She sniffled slightly and I didn’t know what to do.

 

“Hyo-ie you should go; mum is waiting to take you out.” JiYong said. Hyo wiped her eyes and looked at her brother.

 

“I don’t want to leave Ri alone, though.”

 

“I’ll stay with him until you get back don’t worry.” JiYong smiled, ruffling her hair.

 

“Are you sure?” She asked with wide eyes, looking between us. I nodded reassuringly and gave her small hand a squeeze. She gave me one last look before skipping out of the doorway and to where her dad was waiting. I was left with JiYong, he looked at me intently.

 

“Hi” he simply said, “I’m JiYong.” I smiled back.

 

“I’m Seunghyun, but you can call me Seungri if you like.” 

 

 

hi guys!!! This was just the first part of this scenario, I don't know how many chapters it will have, maybe three or so but please read it and tell me your thoughts.

upvotes are always appreciated, and comments are the nicest things to get ever! so please do leave one!!!