“My Promise”

Just So You Know

 

SEUNGHYUN’s POV

Flashback

I saw her crying that is seated at the bench in the garden; I approach her and give my handkerchief to wipe her tears.

“Tokkie!, why are you crying again? Did someone hurt you?” I ask her with so much concern. I kneel down in front of her and try to lift up her face to look at me, but she is controlling it.  I think she don’t want me to see her like that.

“I miss being with my mom and dad.” She said while sobbing.

“Don’t cry” I move to sit at her side and caress her back.

“I know that your mom and dad will come back, for you and your sister.” I try to comfort her with my word. And I think it works.

“Really?” she lifts up her face to look at me with a questioning look.

“Uhm!” I nodded as an answer. Then all of a sudden she just hugs me.

“Thank you oppa for being always there for me” she said. Her face is buried at my chest and her arms are enclosed at my waist.

I felt happiness the moment she hugs me.

“I promise you that I won’t leave your side. I’ll be you night and shining armor when you feel sad.” I made a promise to her.

Then I suddenly remember something, I releases from her hug and fish something on my pocket. It was a two necklace with a black strap and a pendant ring. I handed her the other one, and accepts it with a smile.

 

 

This is the style of the ring just don’t mind the STRONGER word that has engraved in it.                      

“Oppa, why are you giving this to me?”She asks curiously while observing at the ring.

“You can open it, by twisting that.” I was talking about the ring that she is observing, she look at me and did what I have told her.

“Years may fly, but my friendship with u will never die” She read what is written on it loud enough for me and her to hear.

“It means that our friendship will never be broken, no matter what. I promise to not leave your side.” I explain to her, and raise my right hand to swear.

“I’ll be counting on your promise oppa.” She smilingly said at me.

“Do you want me to put that on you?” I suggested at her. And it’s nice that she agreed on it. I gesture her to turn around then she followed it and put her long hair into the other side so I can have a better access of her neck to place the necklace. After I have put it, she turns back at me now while holding of the ring pendant.

“It’s so beautiful oppa.” She happily says it to me.

“I’ll promise to keep it forever.” She swears in front of me.

And as an answer I just smile at her.

“But oppa, why aren’t you wearing your necklace?” she ask me now looking at the necklace that I am holding.

“Coz I don’t want to wear it like a necklace, I want it to be my bracelet.” I started putting it like a bracelet in my arm hand.

“Why?” she ask again.

“Coz I always wanted to remember you and my promise that I have made.” As I explain to her.

“And this also means to me that I hold on to my promise, no matter what happen.” I finish putting it in my right wrist and now looking at it while I am smiling.

“Oppa, come!” she said as she grab my hand and drag me into the chapel of the orphanage.

“What are we doing here?” I ask curiously at her, and then my eyes are roving around the place. She is not letting go of my hand even we arrive.

“I wanted to thank him.” She said, then pointing her finger with the crucified Jesus Christ in front of us.

“Come on!” as she drag me again to sit and kneeled down to pray. I just followed what she did, but before I could say my prayer I heard her say her own parayer.

“Lord, Thank you for giving me oppa by my side as always. He is a brother and best friend to me. Me and my unnie loves him, so please take care of him every day.”  She is chanting her prayer, and I can’t help but hear it, I slightly open my right eye to see what she looks like while praying. I feel so happy and lucky to have her as my best friend. And then she caught me looking at her so I immediately close my eyes and prays silently with all my heart out. I didn’t notice that I took time of praying and when I finished praying. I take a look to my side if she is still there, but she is not, I look at my back and I saw her smiling at me sitting near beside me, while I was still kneeling. I stood up and give her my hand to ask her.

“We should go back now, maybe teacher Tea is looking for us.” My hand is waiting for her to response.

“Ok, but I wanna ask you something.” She said, that makes me wonders what’s in her mind again.

“Ok, but after that we should go back, alright?” I told her with a condition. I put my hand on my side and sit beside her. We are facing the altar

“Ok. I just want to ask what you prayed to him.” She is asking me and look to my face, waiting for my answer.

“Aigoo tokkie!.” I pinched her nose not to hard so it won’t be hurt for her. She quickly removes my finger to her nose and brush the part where I pinch her.

“Please oppa, tell me.” She is begging me now to confess.

“Why do I have to tell you, it’s a secret between me and God.” I reason out to her. I saw her pouting her lips and look sad with my answer.

“Please oppa!” she is now pulling my shirt.

“But it’s a prayer, and it should be kept as a secret.” I still didn’t agree at her.

“But I told you what I prayed a while ago.” She is giving me reasoning.

“Oh!, did I told you to tell me that?” I ask her.

“No!” she answers.

“So it’s not my responsibility to tell you what I prayed to God.” I try to explain.

“You’re so unfair!” she said getting annoyed with me.

“Please oppa, please.” But she still continues to plead.

I can’t stand seeing her like that, so I just ended up telling her only a part of my prayer.

“Ok fine, I also thank him for letting me know a person like you and unnie.” I told her.

“Is that all?” she looks like she is expecting more from me. But I just need to tell a lie at her coz this will cause us taking so much time.

“Yup!” I said. Then thank God, I think she believes me, and then we went back to teacher tea.

End of Flashback

“Tokkie, I am sorry that I have to leave you, but I am back now, and I will continue to look for you and unnie to fulfill my promise. I hope you still thinking of me, coz to tell the truth, I always think of you every time and everywhere. I miss you so much Tokkie!” My face started to wet up because of me crying as I remember it while I still hold the necklace.