Chapter 87

Are you drunk?

 

 

“Shut up Hyunseung!” You growled not for the first time that drive. It was really hard to get you to use foul language but Hyunseung managed to push your buttons very well. He chuckled.

“Aigoo Hyunnie.. You don’t hate me that much.. We’re almost there, can’t I just ask you some questions on the way home?”

“Not if it’s questions like.. That last one.. Or the one before that.” Hyunseung shrugged.

“I’m a very open person, I don’t have secrets so you don’t have to keep secrets from me. Besides, it’s not like you can hide them that well from me.. I can see it when you’re trying to hide something.. So, you’re worried about the media attention. Why not move out for a little? Stay away from the company for a while.” You sighed.

“Can’t you just remember that? I work here!”

“Then quit! You can always do a different job, I mean, you studied and everything, there’s got to be tons of things you can do.. How come you didn’t get any friends while studying, did Taemin influence that too?” You sighed.

“That’s all very personal..” You told him. He was way to curious for your liking.

“I don’t care.. I’m curious. Tell me all about your life.” You groaned.

“What use does that have if you forget it the second I tell you?!” He smirked and took a sharp turn.

“I didn’t forget about that, I just don’t get why you’re so intent on keeping this job, I mean, it causes you trouble doesn’t it?” You rubbed your temples and looked outside. Hyunseung was giving you a headache. He talked a lot, mostly about himself, and asked a lot of personal questions but questioned every answer you gave him. It was simply frustrating.

“Even if it causes me trouble I want to keep doing it. I’m not a quitter..” Hyunseung shrugged.

“Whatever you say Hyunnie..” You blinked at shot up straight.

“What do you mean by that?” You snapped. He turned to you and you immediately gestured for him to look where he was driving. Instead he pulled over and looked straight at you.

“What about Eunhyuk? You never fought for him did you?” You narrowed your eyes and he realised for the first time that day he said something wrong. Really wrong.

“Shut it.. Eunhyuk..” It was still painful to talk about, “Eunhyuk needed being apart more than being together.” Hyunseung sighed.

“And you? Were you really ready to let him go? Did you fight for it? Did you even tell Keela what you thought?” You tried to punch him but he easily grabbed your wrist and smiled at you.

“It’s not important.. Just let it be already..” He shrugged and put your hand on his knee.

“Then why are you still hurt whenever he’s mentioned?” You bit your lip.

“What are you, a stalker? Why do you know all that? I’m not hurt..” He nodded.

“I’m your friend. Of course you’re not hurt. Silly girl..” You pulled your hand against your chest and glared at him.

“You’re noisy. And nosy too. None of my other friends are this nosy..” Hyunseung shrugged.

“I’m not Changmin who can easily adapt to whatever you need, nor am I Yui who seems to know all about your past. That’s why I have to ask. Even if it’s a bother, friends have to do that.” You shook your head.

“Aniyoh.. Friends support each other.”

“What do you think I’m doing here?” He asked seriously.

“Trying to confuse me?” He laughed.

“Alright.. I admit it’s not the best talk we ever had..-”

“We never had good talks!” He flicked your forehead softly and smirked.

“As I was saying, I’m just hearing you out. Taemin doesn’t talk about you that much. He just yells at me. But I don’t really care, Changmin worries about you. He was complaining all day.” You nodded.

“Today started really intense.. I guess he worried about that.” Hyunseung nodded.

“Maybe you should give him a call and tell him you’re okay?” You smirked.

“And miss my precious time of talking with you?” You made sure to emphasise precious. He laughed.

“Yah! I’m not that bad.. Don’t act like a missy, it doesn’t suit you Hyunnie..” He pouted and you smiled softly.

“Arasso. I’ll give Changmin a call now. Thank you for driving me home Hyunseung. Say hi to oppa for me when you see him.”

“It’s oppa for you. Try saying that.” You chuckled.

“Aniyoh.. Oppa is only for Taemin and Jaejoong.” You joked and quickly got out of the car.

“Good day Hyunnie, I’ll see you Monday.” You blinked.

“Wae?” You asked but he already left. You sighed. What a guy. He meant good and talking with him wasn’t that annoying but he was a little too curious for your liking. ‘What did he mean by see you on Monday?’ Maybe he was working with Taemin again, but he knew you couldn’t be close to Taemin while the recordings were going on. Also he knew you actually worked as a guy, was he planning to drop by? He really frustrated you. You opened your phone and dialed Changmin’s number. It was on speed dial, number two. Taemin was number one of course. You smiled as you thought about Jaejoongs reaction when he first discovered that. He had been a little upset and demanded that you would put him as number one with speed dial but had let you be when you told him it was fine like this because this way you would easily learn his number by heart.

“Yoboseyo? Ae how are you?” Changmin had answered his phone within one ring. He really had been worried.

“Yoboseyo. I’m fine. Someone told me you got worried.” Changmin chuckled.

“Aish, who is that sneaky tattletale? But I guess I should be thankful since you’re not abandoning me any more. Even if you dated the king I still want your attention!” You blushed and giggled.

“Mianhae Changmin.. Today was really tiring..” You walked up to the door and opened it while continuing to tell Changmin about your day. It felt nice to talk to someone who wasn’t as involved. Changmin didn’t say much while you talked and just let you finish.

“Sounds like a tough day.. Those girls just had to post those photo’s.. Do you think they even know how much trouble they cause for us?” Changmin sighed and it sounded like he tossed something away. You chuckled.

“I think they just really want their idols to be happy.. But you’re right. It’s a lot of trouble.. Did you just include me as a famous person?” Changmin laughed at your slightly irritated voice.

“Mianhae.. You must have been bothered by people all day. It’s amazing how fast news travels. I guess it’s because Taemin showed his sensitive side for once and also because you’re very mysterious. No one even knew you existed. They’re really curious about you so they make up things.. You should have an interview.”

“Aniyoh! I’m not going to draw more attention to myself.. The longer I disappear the sooner the news will disappear too.” You heard a noise which indicated that Changmin shook his head.

“It won’t disappear like that. It might take months. Rumours don’t die so easily. You have to make a statement for yourself. Produce a single, go on a show, act in a movie, anything. If you do that you won’t be known as Taemin’s sister or ‘Key’s girlfriend’.. Gosh that sounds wrong.. But do something. If you make yourself stronger you won’t be seen as the completion to something.” You smiled softly, it didn’t sound like anything you wanted to do but it was nice how Changmin tried to help out. He did make it sound logical.

“But I don’t like the spotlight..How do you know so much anyway? Did you just study everything?” Changmin laughed at that and you sat down on the couch.

“I did not in fact. I just know that people tend to get forgotten easier when they try to get into the spotlight. We’ll help you. Just try it okay? You can just quit anytime you want..” You shook your head.

“What company works like that?!”

“YG Entertainment.. I don’t know, you can get it inscribed in your contract! They’ll be happy to have you.”

“Aish. Can’t I just sign my name next to Taemin’s on his new album? I sung one of those songs..”

“Yah, are you even listening? Your best friend is putting his best efforts into this. You have to do it yourself. Otherwise you’ll just be Taemin’s sister who can sing.” You sighed, this was going to be hard.

“But I’m going to be that anyway if I sing..” Changmin sighed and you heard a door slam nearby.

“What’s that? Is someone else home?”

“Ne.. I believe it’s.. Yunho hyung! Ahnyeong! Say hi to Ae!” You chuckled as Yunho mumbled some kind of greeting in the horn.

“Yah! That’s no proper greeting!”

“She’s only across the street! We can go say hi properly if you want.” You nodded.

“Yunho is right! I’m just across the street. You should remember that when you try to drag me over for some kind of sleepover!”

“Yunho! You gave her bad thoughts! Say Ae.. Is Taemin home yet?” You laughed nervously.

“I think I’m going to lock the door now..”

“No use.. I have a key.. Let’s go play Ae! You have been neglecting your best friend and now you’ll make up for it!”

“Who’s Ae’s best friend here?!”

“Not you again! Aish! Ae I’m coming over right now and it doesn’t matter if you try to lock me out because I will kick in the door if you try!” You mumbled a sound of agreement and ended the phone call. A short five seconds later the doorbell rung. You got up and walked up to the door.

“I thought you had a key?” You said while opening it.

“No you’re wrong.. I am Key, I do not have a key to your house.” You looked up and saw Key standing in front of you. Changmin was nowhere to be found but you assumed that might be because Yui was trying to strangle him. ‘Mianhae Changmin..’

“Ah.. Good evening.. Would you like some tea?” You asked uneasily. Key nodded shortly and followed behind you after you had closed the door behind him.

“So.. What brings you here?” You asked while the water was boiling. Key sighed and leaned back on the chair you had offered him.

“Things have become complicated.. I’m really sorry to come here and ask.. But.. The thing is.. The manager has threatened to end SHINee.. Unless I somehow convince you to pretend to be my girlfriend..” He seemed a little stuck on the last word. As soon as he finished his sentence he dropped his head on the table in front of him.

“Mianhae.. It feels and sounds so wrong.. I’m really sorry Ae.. But for the others.. I have to ask you.” You coughed. This was a very complicated situation indeed. You could clearly see that Key disliked the idea maybe even more than you did.

“That’s really.. Can he do that?” Key nodded.

“Of course he can. One word of his and we’re done.” You gasped.

“That’s horrible..” You couldn’t help but think about it.

“But.. Why would he do that? If a manager can really do that.. How come oppa didn’t get fired yet?” Key chuckled bitterly and sat up straight to look at you.

“Taemin hyung is really talented and really wideknown. As a new idol you have to obey every order that’s given to you.. Taemin hyung probably suffered that too, only now that he’s really something he can ask demands like this. Mianhae Ae.. I shouldn’t have come..” He got up. You grabbed his hand automatically. ‘What do I do? What can I do?’ You looked at Key who gave you a surprised and still sad look. ‘This person.. Just like my oppa performing is his dream.. If I don’t help him, his dream that he has worked for so hard will be gone. And not just him.. Onew, Jonghyun, Minho and Tae, they will also lose their dream.. I can’t just do that..’

“If it’s really like that.. I guess I could pretend.. For a little.” Key’s eyes filled with tears.

Jeongmal?(really; jinja also means ‘really’ but jeongmal is more usual when asking about something someone said.. I can’t explain it! Go watch a drama and you’ll see for yourself!)” You nodded and he bowed to you.

“I can’t tell you how grateful and sorry I am noona.. I really never intended for this kind of thing to happen..-”

“I know.. It’s fine.. I’m just going to call Jaejoong.. He’s not going to be happy when he hears this, but he’ll be even more upset if I’m not the one to tell him.” Key nodded.

“Mianhae again.. I really didn’t want to in on your relationship with hyung..” You shook your head and suddenly felt it sting. ‘Aish.. It hurt..’ You brushed it off, grabbed your phone and dialed.

“Yoboseyo oppa..”

“What’s wrong? I can hear by your voice something’s wrong.. Is there anything I can do for you?” You swallowed. Jaejoong was so kind. It felt even worse now.

“Oppa.. I called to tell you that I accepted to pretend to be K-Key’s girlfriend..” Jaejoong fell silent for a while. You wondered if he was okay.

“Wae?” He asked shortly.

“Because their manager is going to put an end to SHINee unless I accept.. Mianhae Jaejoong oppa, but I can’t let their dreams end like this..” You heard him sigh.

“That’s just like you.. I wish it didn’t have to be this way.. But I trust you and if you say you’re only mine at heart it’s enough for me.”

“Jaejoong oppa, I only like you. I promise.”

“I believe you.. I’ll come see you tonight.. As soon as I finish this stupid commercial..” You gasped.

“Omo, oppa you’re still at work? How can you still work this late?!”

“Gokjonghajima, I’m just working a little harder so I can spend more time with you later on.. I’ll see you soon arasso?” You smiled and ended the phone call. Even if the circumstances were like this hearing his voice made your heart feel lighter.

 

Author's note: I promise this is the last subplot I'll add! I'm heading towards a .. But no spoilers!