Chapter 14 REDONE

Are you drunk?

Saying goodbye was always the worst thing about leaving. Especially when it was Taemin you were leaving behind, things were usually the other way around. Being left behind was not fun at all but Taemin never looked unhappier. The manager tried to cheer you both up by reminding you that you wouldn’t be apart for long but that just made you angrier. The thought of Taemin showing up at work again, especially now that you knew how bad he had it, angered you.

"Ai, be careful." Taemin muttered, squeezing your hands anxiously. He looked at you sternly and you knew it was more than just brotherly advice. Be careful with the weight loss. You nodded at him, glancing at your thin wrists. How careful could you be at this point? You sighed and pulled him in a hug before heading off. Today Taemin would still be home, but for how long?

The car ride was silent for the most part. Cheon was wise enough not to even attempt humor and you paid no attention to whatever the manager had to say. It wasn’t comfortable listening to that traitor. He was supposed to take care of Taemin, how would forcing him to work so soon help? Your thoughts were interrupted by a text. Junsu commented that your new photos were looking good. So Taemin had uploaded those already. What was this world coming to?

"Are you okay? You look pale." You glanced up at the manager. Was he actually concerned? How bizarre. You shook your head, stopped halfway then nodded. He had nothing to do with how you felt.

"I’ll be fine. Can you drop me off with TVXQ? I think we have some more filming to do.." He seemed happy to hear that. Maybe it was because Taemin was more difficult to control. Your brother had no difficulty in showing how much he didn’t get along with people, especially Jaejoong. The manager was probably trying to profit of it.

"While you are still here, try to establish a good bond with Jaejoong, for the public. It’d be good for Taemin especially since he’s going to be out of the spotlight for a while, right?" You’d guessed correctly. Of course TVXQ was still a rival of Taemin’s since they competed for popularity. Even under the same label there was such rivalry. Especially since Taemin hadn’t started out at SM.

"Sir, can you tell me something about oppa?" You asked, sitting up straight. The manager looked at you with surprise. He then nodded and leaned forward. It was more enthusiasm than you’d been able to fake, maybe it was good for him to see that. Seeing Taemin was good for you, he should know that so you would be able to see him more.

"Sure, what would you like to know? It must be bad to miss him. Is it something about his performances? I’m sure we can arrange for you two to meet more often." Just what was he planning? You raised an eyebrow but shrugged it off. Meeting Taemin more was good.

"About him.. How did Taemin end up at SM? He started out at YG didn’t he?" You distinctly remembered it. A long time ago Taemin had auditioned for YG and he had initially gotten in. The change to SM had been rather sudden.

"Oh that? It’s been so long, I wonder why you’d ask. I think Taemin did get the attitude at YG to be honest. He was training there to be part of a group, I forgot the name. They were going to debut but then one of the intended members got in a coma. It got postponed and nothing came of it. We’d seen enough of him to know he’d work well, so we offered Taemin to debut as a solo artist here." Strange how things like that happen. You glanced at your hands.

"Do you know what happened to the other members of that group? The intended one?" The manager just shook his head. So that’s where that trail ended.

"I do know there were supposed to be five of them. I think the three others eventually debuted, it was a long time ago. I think it’s been eight years." Incredible how fast that had happened.

"What about the boy who ended up in a coma? Did he..?"

"He died, unfortunately.. He was a talented kid." Taemin never told you that. Perhaps he’d been too busy but why wouldn’t he have told you that? You picked up your phone to text him but stopped. He probably had his reasons. Maybe you could just ask him for the name. The internet might have the information. The car suddenly stopped. You blinked as you grabbed hold of the seat. The manager nodded to the door as if to say ‘we arrived’. He then handed you a bag, containing a camera, to shoot something with the others. At least you’d have some privacy.

 

"Hey guys!" Yunho didn’t look very enthusiastic about the camera but waved at it anyway, "you said I could come over yourself hyung. Would you pour me some coffee?" Yunho flicked his fingers at the camera but opened the door and headed back inside. You followed him, moving the camera a little. There was some commotion in the other rooms; at least they were all awake.

Yunho let out a yawn as he poured you some coffee, pushing the mug towards you. You tilted the camera to film Junsu coming inside. He waved enthusiastically, clearly he was more awake than Yunho was, and ran towards you.

"Hey! I was wondering when you’d get back! Do you have time to play soccer today?" You put the camera down on the table and sipped the coffee. It tasted more like poison than soju did, if that was even possible. Yunho smirked at you but hid it behind a mug of his own.

"Possibly. Can we make him our target?" You motioned at Yunho. Junsu tilted his head but shrugged and headed over to the fridge to get something to drink as well. Soon the talking also lured the others into the kitchen. You filmed all of them, as well as some banter, and then put the camera back down.

"What’s this talk of Yunho being a target? I don’t know what it is but I’m in favor!" Jaejoong grinned as he sat down beside you, poking at your head. So casual, the manager would probably cry tears of joy. You weren’t going to film this though.

"Soccer, we’re going to wipe the floor with him." You nudged him playfully and pushed your cold coffee aside. You weren’t going to drink that. Yunho rolled his eyes at you.

"You say that now, but I’m actually good at soccer!"

"Don’t lie to our dongsaeng Yunho. You ." You laughed and high fived Jaejoong. What would Taemin think? Probably ‘I’m going to kill him’.

"You’ve never seen me play! I won’t go easy on you guys." Yunho warned. You shrugged your shoulders.

"We can take him. Junsu you’re on my team."

"Taemin I will get you!" Yunho’s threat held nothing but empty promises. You grinned and got up. Time to play!

Yoochun taped the match occasionally with the camera given to you, but for the most part the game would never be public to outsiders. That was good because none of you except for Junsu were exceptionally good at soccer. Taemin would have been amazing, you knew. You however were running low on energy between guys. Luckily Yunho did as much as you’d made him out to do.

 

"You know, for a girl you are insanely strong." Yunho scoffed. Once again you were seated at the kitchen table. Outside a downpour had started. Junsu and Yoochun were trying to get the TV going whilst Jaejoong and Changmin had gone off to buy dinner. Time flies when you’re having fun. You shot Yunho a glare for mentioning your gender but let it slide.

"I know you’re going easy on me. And thank you. I need your support more than I let on. It means a lot, really." You replied. It didn’t feel easier to say these things but goodbye was coming closer. You hadn’t thought of it before but Taemin was going to come back soon. Maybe you would never see them again.

"It’s no big deal, don’t worry." He smiled and you felt a tingle in your stomach, "You’re a good person, doing this. I like helping out, as long as Taemin doesn’t hunt me down for it." It made you chuckle but you covered your mouth quickly and shook your head.

"Taemin won’t get away with doing that, I’ll make sure of it." You replied and stretched out, yawning. Yunho looked over you, studying your features. You felt uncomfortable and zipped up your jacket.

"I’m sorry. I just can’t help it, even when I know it’s so hard to see the difference. Are you sure you’re okay? You look pale again." You nodded and flicked at his arm. That wasn’t good. You’d promised Taemin you would eat more or exercise less and you had been exercising just now.

"I’m good, really. Playing soccer all day is just intensive and I didn’t eat more than a few bites this morning." Yunho frowned and glanced at the clock. It was almost six in the afternoon.

"It’s evening already. I will make you eat three plates, and don’t try to get out of it." He demanded. You jabbed at his hand, motioning for him not to be so protective. As you were about to complain to him he interrupted you before a coherent syllable could leave your mouth.

"Let’s go out tomorrow." Yunho said suddenly, "you need a distraction and you need to be healthy. I think we can both use a day off." Even though you weren’t drinking anything the sudden notion almost made you choke.

"A-and do what?" You asked, trying to make your voice sound strong but failing miserably to do so.

"We could go to an amusement park? I don’t really know. Let’s just make it something you like." You sighed and leaned your head on your hands. This wasn’t a good idea. It made you nervous, plus Yunho shouldn’t be caught one on one with a girl who looked like Taemin by fans. That would be the worst.

"An amusement park sounds great in theory but..-" You looked up at him. Somewhere you hoped his protective instincts hadn’t crossed over any line, but there was no hint of it. Yunho looked as calm as ever. Of course it wouldn’t mean anything to him. You were like a guy and not just any guy; one of the guys who showed Yunho the least amount of respect.

"You don’t have to if you don’t want."

"No it’s fine! It sounds like fun I mean..-" You spoke in a hurried manner. Yunho sounded a bit disappointed and the last thing you wanted was the only person actually helping you to feel bad. Especially because he was going out of his way to make you feel better. Your flustered mumbles made him chuckle.

"I can’t believe I never saw through you before." He seemed about to say something else when you noticed Junsu and Yoochun getting up and heading to the kitchen. Quickly you hushed the man beside you and pushed cups of tea to the other side of the table.

"Hey guys, is the television working yet?" You asked with a grin. Junsu simply saluted you as an answer whilst Yoochun picked up his mug of tea.

"It’s working alright. We have a series of movies set up to watch." You smirked at him and crossed your legs, leaning back slightly. That would be interesting. Would they be scary?

"Let’s hope the others make it here soon. I’m starving." You said, laying your arms on the table. Just at that moment your stomach made a soft noise, alerting the outside world that what you said was true. Yoochun smiled lazily and sat down at the table.

"Too bad Jaejoong hyung isn’t cooking for us."

"No way, I heard that! I’m not cooking!" You heard an angry Jaejoong yell. You chuckled. They were home. Jaejoong placed a bag on the table as you tipped your head at him. He smirked and took the seat on your other side.

"Want me to feed it to you? If you can bring up the patience." He jokingly proposed. You rolled your eyes and spat back that you’d feed yourself. Jaejoong laughed and the bag was opened. Out came wonderful take out. Black bean sauce-covered chicken with noodles, it was one of your and Taemin’s favourites.

"That smells so good.." Changmin said, smiling as he pulled one of the bowls towards himself. The rest of the bowls were quickly distributed. You picked up the camera to film everyone get ready. They all waved excitedly, even Jaejoong. Changmin was already wolfing down his food.

"Today is a good day." Jaejoong commented, poking at the camera. "Yah Taemin, you’re supposed to eat too! Give me that!" You laughed and handed it to him, taking the chance to eat yourself.

"Ah this is so good! You should cook this for all of us once hyung." You grinned at him. He moved the camera away to film Changmin’s table manners. They were less than decent.

"Hyung! I’m glad you wouldn’t cook! This is far better!" Changmin replied. Jaejoong flicked a noodle at him. Changmin simply chose to eat that as well. Dinner was fun. Everyone joked around. That must be what it’s like to be part of a group. You wondered why Taemin hadn’t ever told you about it. It was strange that Taemin had never been put into a group at SM. Perhaps there hadn’t been enough time.

"We should drink tonight" Jaejoong said, looking at the others as if they were conspiring together in some sinister plot. Yoochun grinned and nodded in agreement. Alcohol again. You weren’t sure if you wanted to do that. You promised Taemin you’d be healthy and lately you had been drinking. Very unattractive when a lady does it but somehow for guys it was a cool, fun thing. Yunho exchanged a glance with you.

"I should go." You muttered, picking up the camera. Jaejoong frowned at you and poked at your side. You quickly moved away. He did not need to know about your actual bodyshape.

"Good night guys." You waved at them, heading out to Taemin’s house. There was some protest but no one stopped you and that was good. You wanted to sleep now. There were a lot of things that worried you. After you made sure the doors were locked you let yourself fall into bed.