Chapter 20

Are you drunk?

The next morning your manager had you answer your fan mail. You didn’t want to, and had told him to ask oppa to do it, but he reasoned he didn’t know what was going on. You told him that you were keeping him up to date, and even if he wasn’t, he’d followed the news and that he wouldn’t give any personal information away anyway, on which the manager reacted that you still had to do it because your oppa needed rest. After this you growled and opened the first fan letter.

Taemin I love your voice so much! I’m really looking forward to the show..- You put it side, since you could see that it clearly had no question whatsoever, and kept doing the same with other letters, until you noticed a small envelope. You picked it out and opened it. It read the following:

Dear Taemin,

I’m aware that you have very little time on your hands, and if you read my letter, I’m very grateful.

I would like to thank you for your hard work and your beautiful music. It helped me through a lot of rough times. My father passed away last year, but I won’t bother you with that.

I’m going to go blind in a few months, and I would like you to know that I love your music very much, and I want to lose my sight while watching you sing. I know that it’s not possible, my parents have arranged for me to go to your concert, and I will be very happy to see you preform!

So give it your best oppa!

Love,

Moon

"This is so sad.. Manager, find out where this letter came from!" You told him, while handing him the letter. After reading it, he nodded.

"I know that Taemin isn’t usually the guy for charity, but.. Can’t her sight be saved with an operation or something?" You told him, while staring at the soft purple envelope. Your manager nodded.

"I understand how you feel, we could.. Do something.. Maybe give her a backstage pass?"

"You think to small and greedy! How much money have I made in these weeks?" You asked. He stared at you like you were crazy.

"A lot, I’m not sure but..-"

"Is it enough to pay for her operation?!"

"I don’t think you can..-"

"IS IT?!" You yelled angrily, you were feeling very angry. That man was so greedy, he only cared about money! You felt sorry for the girl, you knew that many people send fake messages like these, but you just knew this one wasn’t. You wanted to help her, and you were going to. You called your brother while the manager was counting the money you had made over the weeks you had been working there.

"Yosobeyo? Dongsaeng, how are you?"

"Yosobeyo oppa. I got a fan letter from a girl named Moon, and it reads that she’s going blind soon."

"I think I know what you’re getting at. Have someone investigate the family, and when I’m sure, we’ll sent them the money for an operation." He said. He’d guessed your thoughts exactly. You knew he was right about this, and you made an agreement with the manager. You’d do another photoshoot, on your own, and then you’d be allowed to send the money to the girls family. After you’d agreed you wanted to start as soon as possible, and after an agent had confirmed that what Moon had written was true, you got to the studio for a photoshoot.

‘I hate this! I hate this so much! But I have to.. I need to help Moon..’ You thought to yourself as you were making very weird poses. Your clothes were torn, and the shirt that helped to make you seem male was so much like skin (skin tone, plus high resolution lines of muscles) that it seemed like you were posing with your chest exposed. Your brother must also hate this, you thought. You took a new pose, leaning against a wall with your arms to the sides, while gazing up. Flash!

"This is so perfect! This is going to be the covor of your new CD!" The manager yelled excitedly. The instructor nodded and took some more photo’s. ‘Maybe they should get a picture of the REAL Taemin for that.. I hate this.’ You leaned forwards, with your legs still against the wall, and your arms sliding a bit back your sides, giving the camera a ‘y’ look. Flash! Right in front of your eyes. Luckily you knew how to act as if you were not affected. You found your way to the couch and sat down on it like a king would.

"Stop! This needs a new pair of clothes!" The cameraman yelled. You sighed. ‘Thank God.’ You got a black suit and a lot of fake piercings in your ears, and the thing you hated most, mascara. The room was made darker, with a spot on your face. You tried not to blink, you thought your eyelids might stick together if you did that.

"I’m loving the agony on your face! The highest ranked that has everything, except what he desires most, love!" The cameraman yelled and for the first time in your life you wanted to hit someone. ‘Who loves agony on someones face?! I hate this guy!’ Suddenly your phone rang.

"What did I say about phones during work?" The manager growled, you sent him a death glare.

"It could just be the most important person on earth," you said coldly like you had told him the first time, "my twin." Then you answered it.

"Yosobeyo?"

"Yah! Taemin!" You moved the phone further from your ear when you heard Junsu scream through it.

"What’s going on pabo? You don’t have to yell." You told him, then you heard strange sounds on the other side of the phone, and discovered what had happened when Yunho spoke.

"Junsu is losing it Taemin, our singing practice starts in half an hour! Where are you?"

"Calm down, I’m working, I’ll be there in time."

"What are you doing that is so important you had to schedule it in front of practice?!"

"Photoshoot!"

"Without us?"

"Yes! I’m still popular as a solo artist! I’ll be there in time, now let me finish what I’m doing!"

"I’m sending someone to pick you up." You hung up and turned off your phone.

"Mianhae, we have to hurry and finish, I need to practice for the show." You said, facing the manager while you tossed the phone at your stylist. Of all people here, you trusted her the most.

"All right! Two more shots then you’re set to go to practice!" The manager said, you nodded and sat down on the chair you started to hate, it wasn’t really comfortable. Much to your dislike, the cameraman still wasn’t satisfied with the scenary.

"I’m missing something!" He yelled to himself and spun around, "you! Let your hair loose! Just like that! Now stand next to him! Taemin, you have to pretend that you can’t see her! She’s just not there at all! Perfect!" Flash! Then the scenary was changed, and you were in front of a window that showed a (fake) cloudy day. You were holding a rose, and were gazing at it, ‘deep in thoughts’. That was the last photo. You changed into your original outfit, and tried to remove your make up. After you’d recieved some help (and the phone) from your stylist, it was removed just in time before Jaejoong stomped into the chamber.

"Come on Taemin!" he said, while pulling you along, "why were you doing this anyway? You hate these!" You decided to tell him the truth, that you hadn’t even told Yunho.

"I’m raising money to pay for an operation." You said honestly.

"What operation? Is anything wrong?!" You shook your head.

"I got a letter from a fan, who wrote me that she was very grateful for my music, and that her father had died the last year, but she’d been able to pull through because of me. But now she’s going blind.. I want to help her." You summed up, while jumping in the car.

"I understand, but did you have them check the story?" You nodded, and told him what you’d found out.

"I did, and it’s all true. She’s been in a hospital for nine months now. But her family can’t afford the operation. So they gave her a ticket to our show. She said that the last thing she wanted to see before going blind was me."

"That’s so.. What a sweet girl."

"I know, that’s why I’m helping her." Jaejoong had been driving very fast, in fact he had been crossing the speed limit, and you were almost there.

"We’ll all support you on this." You smiled.

"Thanks, it’s much aprreciated. You know, she’s only eleven years old. The poor thing." You said, "but I can’t give her the show of her life if I keep whining! Let’s go!" You and Jaejoong raced for the entrance. Your teamwork had improved a lot, and you and Jaejoong did everything perfectly balanced together. Hen you explained the situation to the others, they agreed with you and Jaejoong, and you all gave it you best. After a very tiring day, you called your brother again. You told him about the plan you’d made, to invite the girl on stage at the endof the concert, and tell her that you would pay for her operation. He agreed.

"Dongsaeng! You’re the best you know? After the concert, I would like to spend some time with her, on days when you keep a low profile. I want to do something too!" You agreed, and understood him. Of course he wanted to help.

"You do that, we’re giving this our best oppa."

"You know, after the show, I’ll be fit enough to start work again. And you have to do none of this anymore! I’ll start working on the new album, so I can take it easy? Isn’t it great?!"

"Yeah, that’s great!" It wasn’t. Half you wanted him to take it easy, it would ask too much of him. The other half you weren’t sure. You didn’t really like the work, but then what was it? Yunho? You’d see him again.. After all you were friends. Junsu? But you’d also see him again, since he spend a lot of time with your brother. Jaejoong? Would you miss Jaejoong? You felt really confused, and went to bed. The next days, you worked as hard as you could to make the show perfect.