Chapter 6 REDONE

Are you drunk?

Author's note: I decided to add chapter six and seven into one. Once I figure out how to delete a chapter I will remove chapter seven from the chapters.

"Yoboseyo?" You only barely managed to answer the phone before Taemin started speaking to you. Rather loudly, too. You glances around nervously and hoped that nobody could hear him on the phone and if they did that nobody would recognize him. They couldn’t, right?

"Ai! Do you have any idea what you just did? That was really dangerous! They could have.. Ai please don’t ever endanger yourself like that again. Didn’t manager hyung warn you? That Chun guy is sharp, dongsaeng!" As he continued to scold you, you bit your tongue. That was something you hadn’t thought about. Just being there had made you nervous. Did Chun notice anything? Your heart felt as if it was smashed by a hammer. Taemin didn’t usually get mad with you. Then again you hadn’t spoken to him in a long time before the day of the accident and he had reason to be worried. You were in a dangerous position.


"He told me nothing like that!" Realizing your voice was wrong you corrected it to sound like Taemin and continued. "The only thing I was told was that there’d be an interview. I had no idea it was for the television and that old guy was either shaking his head violently or refusing to give me a clue. Besides, would you have let a fan down?" You felt your cheeks heat up as you defended yourself. It felt strange. Normally you had to be docile, which you had no problem with when you were treated fairly. Standing up for yourself made you feel itchy and slightly nauseous, but also very good.

"Ai! …I’m sorry Ai, I’m just worried about you. I’ll kick his for you in a few more weeks." Weeks?! Before you could protest Taemin continued. "I guess I’m just not used to seeing my cute dongsaeng act so.. So cool. You were cool up there, too. I’m very proud of you Ai. Just hold on a little more. I believe in you. Mom does, too. We both love you." From the tone of his voice you could tell that he would have to hang up soon. ‘Don’t hang up!’ You wanted to tell him. ‘Just a few more minutes..’ Even when he was reprimanding you, Taemin felt safe. He made you feel like you weren’t so alone in this world. The harsh reality of actual people surrounding you soon crashed upon you when you saw Yunho closing in on you.

"Alright. I love you too. Tell mom.. Take good care of yourselves. I’ll see you soon." At least so you hoped. Feeling miserable and dejected you ended the phone call and slipped your phone into your pocket, sighing before greeting Yunho half-heartedly.

"You’re really working the bad boy vibe aren’t you? My strange dongsaeng." Even Yunho was a critic, though only in his words. In his eyes lay a bright smile that made you feel a little better, though you didn’t let it show. He reached out and lightly nudged the side of your head.

 

"It’s in my nature. Why hide the things people like about me?" You replied boldly, though you tried to keep your words formal. Things they like about Taemin, you repeated mentally. His image sprung into your mind and you felt yourself straighten up more.

"Alright, no need to bite." Yunho laughed, clearly not phased as he poked your cheek yet again. That was quite nice in a way. You couldn’t help a smirk from spreading over your face as you swatted his hand away.

"I won’t make any promises." Somehow the atmosphere had become light hearted between the two of you despite the age difference. Maybe it was because Yunho was the leader of his group. As soon as you noticed Jaejoong entering as well you started feeling uneasy. He grinned as soon as he saw you, perhaps having caught up on your nerves.

"You were nervous, weren’t you?" He spoke as he approached you and stopped just before you. Against every instinct you managed not to swallow and looked up at him. It was hard to look him in the eyes. His eyes seemed to pierce everything he directed them to look at. "You bastard.. You didn’t do bad."

It seemed liked that was all there was to say about that. You excused yourself and left after mockingly wishing them a good show. As soon as you left the building, led by the manager, journalists seemed to be everywhere with cameras, microphones and questions. No comment, the manager told them all before stuffing you into the car.

"I’m so tired.." As you sat down you dropped your head into your hands, trying to ignore the stinging pain in your back. The sound of the door closing indicated to you that the manager had gotten into the car as well and sat down by your side. Painfully slow the seconds ticked by as you waited for him to start scolding you.

 

"That wasn’t a good start. However just because of the situation I won’t scold you too much. I should have told you that it was a TV show." That probably wasn’t his real reason. You sat up and looked at him curiously, wondering what else he had to tell you. As he started talking your jaw dropped. He explained that he wanted you to start doing more joined activities with DBSK as you were apparently very convincing as Taemin. He didn’t leave out that your version of Taemin’s song was almost indistinguishable from the original. His expression as he dropped you off made it fairly clear that you couldn’t refuse this.

Once at home you were left with a busy schedule for the rest of the day. It consisted mainly of learning every part of Taemin’s career by heart as well as all of his songs and dance routines. An attached note mentioned that you wouldn’t be having any public appearances all too soon before you were fully prepared. Unwilling but helpless you started off by searching for any shows that Taemin might have been on as well as any other interviews he might have given. When you suddenly heard the doorbell ring, it gave you quite a shock. After rapidly shutting off the show you headed to the door to find a brightly smiling Junsu.

"Hello! I heard you were free for the rest of the day." He started. You contemplated for a few seconds and decided that you could use a distraction before plunging yourself back into your Taemin-studying.

"And you came to play a game, come in." Came your answer. Junsu raised his eyebrows as he looked over you. His inspecting gaze bothered you and you crossed your arms as if to hide yourself from him better.

"You look exhausted. "

"I am exhausted. Come in." You grinned and stepped aside to let the boy enter. He still seemed a bit jumpy since he was fidgeting his fingers whilst following you to the living room. You waved your hand in front of him to try and get a reaction out of him. With a light blush Junsu asked you if it was okay for him to invite the others, from which you drew the conclusion that he’d already invited them.


"I see Junsu once again got you to play with him." Yunho, who seemed very pleased with himself at the moment, said as he carelessly strolled into Taemin’s living room. You tried not to be too surprised by his sudden appearance. After all Junsu had admitted that he invited the others.

"Have you come to add to my misery?" You scolded playfully, ignoring Junsu’s offended cry. "Just sit down and join us. Your dongsaengs will show you some humiliation." That should teach him to be so self-righteous!

After scolding you for your big mouth Yunho too sat down to join you in your game that was ultimately won by you. You had won by sheer dumb luck but that didn’t stop you from cheering and teasing Yunho as much as you could. Junsu joined in on the celebration, which Yunho really didn’t seem to mind. Instead he just smiled and challenged the two of you to a rematch in another game.

"Let’s play poker!" Junsu declared, appointing you to find playing cards quickly. You reluctantly agreed to since you were supposed to live there. As you scurried through the house you were painfully reminded by it that Taemin lived here. Even with these people here you still missed him. In fact you only missed him more.


"Taemin." You raised your head to have your gaze meet Changmin’s. who was holding up a stack of cards. He handed it to you, squeezing your hand lightly as he did. "Why are you so out of it right now?"

"It’s nothing. Where is Jaejoong hyung anyway?" It was an attempt to move the subject onto something else but Changmin let you go with a meaningful look as he nudged you to get back to the others.


"Jaejoongie hyung is on a date right now, in our home. Which is kind of why we’re all here. Do you want me to deal?" The mischievous glint in his eyes told you not to take that kind offer.
 

"No, I don’t trust you to deal." You smirked and started shuffling the cards as the other’s all sat down to form a circle with you. The first round didn’t go all that well for you, which pleased Yunho who was smiling brightly right now. Eventually you found yourself loosening up to them a little, toning down the Taemin like outbursts. It was good that he had them for neighbours. People who he could relate to.

 

Even in the second round Yunho remained the winner. After proudly showing his cards he leaned back and winked at you.

"I think that I have earned a drink right now. If we are playing for your hospitality, Taemin. Get your hyung a beer."

 

You got up with a smirk and touched his cheek before heading to the kitchen, checking to see if Taemin kept his beer in the fridge. The creaking sound in the wooden floor informed you that you were followed. Yoochun leaned over your shoulder and took a can of beer for himself.

"You have to be good to all your hyungs, Taemin-ah~ Our little dongsaeng. Aren’t you cute?" He played, even squeezing your cheek. You flushed with embarrassment and anger, reaching to hit his head. He only laughed and the two of you rece you’d made sure he carried the rest of the beer as a punishment. Still you couldn’t help but grin at Changmin who openly laughed at Yoochun.

The game continued for a couple more hours and a dozen of beers. In the end, Changmin made a huge comeback and wiped the floor with his hyungs and you. You laughed it off and called it the revenge of the maknaes, which he accepted proudly.

 

"Taemin-ah~ I’m staying the night." Yunho proclaimed, slinging an arm around you. His breath smelled of alcohol though you doubted he was actually drunk. You shrugged and pushed him away gently.

"Fine, but you get the couch." You retorted at him and got up, feeling your knees wobble a little. Even though you’d tried not to drink a lot you too found yourself slightly intoxicated. Junsu grabbed hold of your hand, demanding that he too would be allowed to spend the night.

 

"Do I run a hotel? Fine! Just don’t bother me anymore for the rest of.. Is it tomorrow yet?" Dazed you stumbled forward to get to Taemin’s room. Just as Junsu entered the guest room that was across from Taemin’s, you realized that your bag was in that room. Quickly you turned back and entered the guest room, grabbing hold of the bag before Junsu could open it.

"Yah Taemin.. What’s all this?" Junsu replied, whining slightly at your actions. You shrugged and pulled the bag with you, feeling slightly agitated. Just as you managed to drop the bag in Taemin’s room Yunho called out to you from the living room.

"Yah Taeminnie. Who is this pretty girl?" Shocked you hurried back to him to find him with a picture of you. It was a picture of the New Year’s ceremony that you had attended together with him two years ago. In silence you stared at the picture of you and Taemin, posing happily together. Your hands balled to fists as you turned to Yunho. The alcohol in your body was making it hard for you to act normal.

 

"Nobody. Put that down and go to sleep." Your words were impolite as they had been all evening but now you couldn’t help it. Seeing Taemin like that made your stomach turn. You remembered it more clearly now. Even during the car accident Taemin was willing to put everything on the line in order to save you. You swallowed and turned around to head back to your room.

"Taemin.. What’s going on?" Yunho’s voice became more stern as he laid a hand on your shoulder. You closed your eyes tightly but could stop a tear.

"I told you. Leave it alone." Your voice shook and you tried desperately to get back to Taemin’s room. Junsu now came out of the guest room as well and stopped in front of you.

"You can tell us. Taemin, what’s going on? You don’t seem like yourself these days." He repeated. Nervous as well as feeling miserable you let yourself slide down against the wall and grabbed the picture from Yunho’s hands, hugging it to your chest. Now you just let the tears you had bottled up flow.

"It wasn’t supposed to happen like that." You sobbed, leaning your head on your knees. "I.. As an oppa, am I not supposed to protect my twin?" You looked up at the others and tried to hold on to the lie. Taemin. For Taemin. You might have been mixing up the names, but your feelings were true.

"My dongsaeng was with me that day.. When our car was hit she threw her arms around me.. And she protected me. She was supposed to be with me here right now.. But instead.. She’s in the hospital now hyung! She is.. She is suffering the injuries that should have been mine.."

Yunho and Junsu both stared at you with their mouths gaping open. They weren’t used to seeing Taemin like this. Taemin didn’t cry, nor did he ever show any weakness. Finally Yunho sat down by your side and wrapped an arm around your shoulders.

"I understand your feeling Taemin.. I have a sister, too." His voice was low, trembling slightly. You wiped your tears as quick as you could and nodded. Junsu helped you up and took you to your room.

"Taemin-ah.. I.. I have a twin brother.. I just want you to know that this feeling.. It’ll be okay. Your dongsaeng will be okay." He muttered the words. You nodded slightly as you had calmed down a little. Slowly you placed the picture on your night stand and traced your fingers over it.

"I see.. " You muttered. "Junsu.. Sleep well."