Chapter 50

Are you drunk?

 

 
You opened your eyes and rubbed them. It was dark around you, and you guessed it was night time. You felt better now, and looked to see if oppa had gone to bed. He hadn’t, but he was sleeping on a chair next to the couch.
 
“Oppa, you can’t sleep there.” You said softly, though you knew he couldn’t hear you. He was too heavy to move, so you covered him with a blanket and sat down on the couch again. Poor oppa, he had been taking care of you all night. It was three in the morning. You hoped oppa wouldn’t be too tired the next day.
 
“I guess I’ll go to bed..” You thought while walking towards your room. You picked up your phone to see if maybe someone had tried to contact you. You had to apologize to Eunhyuk. You saw three new text messages.
 
From: Eunhyuk
 
‘Ae I’m really sorry.. I understand that you dislike me now. I was just really afraid I might lose you. I hope you’ll talk to me tomorrow..’ You blinked some tears away. That wasn’t it. You still liked him. 
 
From: Changmin
 
‘Hey best friend! I went home about three minutes ago. You were sound asleep and Taemin says that’s a good thing. Call me when you feel better okay? Doesn’t matter what time, you can call me at three in the morning!’ You chuckled since it was now three in the morning, but decided not to call him. He needed some rest, he had been working all day!
 
From: Unknown number
 
‘Changmin said you were ill. I hope you feel better now.’ You wondered who that might be. Maybe it was Yunho! It probably wasn’t. You sighed and texted Changmin back, if he didn’t have his phone on he wouldn’t wake up. You hoped he wouldn’t, he needed his rest.
 
From: Ae
 
‘Ahnyeong Changmin. Thank you for taking good care of me and oppa. I hope it didn’t tire you out too much. You’re probably sleeping right now, so I hope that you had a good night sleep when you read this ^^. Ae’ You decided to send Eunhyuk a message too. You didn’t want him to feel so down.
 
From: Ae
 
‘Ahnyeong oppa. When I came home I just went to bed, sorry I didn’t call you anymore. I’m all better now! Of course I’ll still talk to you. I like you oppa ^^.’ You glanced at the message from the unknown number. You couldn’t reply to it, you didn’t know who it was. You thought it would be stupid to ask for the name. He, or even she, had your number, so you probably forgot who you gave your number too. How stupid. You were about to switch your phone of when the screen lit up. You have one new message.
 
From: Changmin
 
‘You’re welcome. You’re my best friend you know. But why are you awake right now? Get to bed before I make you :P. And that’s okay, I wasn’t sleeping. I’m never tired :P. Okay, admitted I am. Want to go stargaze with me? You’d say yes if you saw me, I’m very cute right now :P’ You giggled and replied that you wanted to go stargazing with him. You quickly dressed in warmer clothes and opened the door. Changmin stood outside and smiled at you. The night was really clear and the stars were bright. Changmin swung his arm over your shoulder.
 
“Come on, you can see the stars form our garden.” He whispered. You smiled and nodded, wondering why you were whispering. You checked to see if you had your house key, and left after that, closing the door behind you softly. You crossed the completely silent street and sneaked through their house. All the others were sleeping soundly, and you didn’t want to wake them.
 
“Here you go..” You were sitting on an improvised couch, consisting of two blocks of wood and a between them. Changmin wrapped a blanket around the two of you. Though it wasn’t freezing yet, it was getting cold during the nights. He didn’t want to risk you falling ill again.
 
“It’s so pretty.” You whispered, glancing at the billions of sparkles in the sky. The sky wasn’t completely dark, but blue. Dark blue. A cresent moon shone brightly.
 
“What do you like best, the sun or the moon?” You asked. He laughed softly.
 
“The sun of course. The sun gives us light and warmth.. The sun brings live to us.” You nodded.
 
“I like the moon best.. The moon is always resembling the light of the sun, like me trying to resemble oppa. So in a way, that makes me like the moon.” You said. He pulled you close under the blanket.
 
“Yah! That’s so deep! But you’re more like the sun than Taemin. You always shine brightly, you’re kind and warm. Taemin is nothing like that, he only looks like you. That makes him more like the moon.” He said.
 
“Who’s deep here?” You joked. He chuckled and your gazed at the stars. If you watched closely, you saw them shine brighter for a short time, then they would shine less bright. They seemed alive and breathing, even if you knew they weren’t. It was nice to think this way. You suddenly saw a bright line in the sky, dissapearing faster than it had come.
 
“It’s a shooting star!” You said happily. You both smiled.
 
“Let’s make a wish.” He said in a very childish tone. You nodded and you entwined pinkies. You thought for a moment. ‘I wish Jaejoong and I got along better, and we didn’t fight anymore..’ You thought. It was the first thought that came to mind. You smiled at Changmin and knew he made his wish too.
 
“I hope our wishes will come true..” He said, “look, it’s Cassiopeia!” You smiled as you watched the constellation after which DBSK’s fanbase was named.
 
“It’s pretty..” You said, then you sneezed.
 
“You’re getting cold aren’t you? Let’s go drink something warm okay?” You nodded and you sneaked back into the house. You didn’t turn on any lights, afraid it would wake the others. Changmin heated up something, but didn’t tell you what it was.
 
“You’ll like it. Just wait okay?” You nodded and sat down near the kitchen table. A few minutes later, Changmin gave you a cup. It was warm and it smelled nice. You softly sipped it. It was hot, but it was sweet and tasty too.
 
“This is hot chocolate.. Do you like it?” He asked. You nodded happily.
 
“I do.. It’s really sweet though.” He laughed softly.
 
“I guess so. But I like sweet.” He sat down and you gazed out of the window.
 
“It’s less cold in here.” He chuckled.
 
“Jaejoong insists we keep the room heated even at night. He’s an idiot, but I’m kind of thankful for it.” You smiled and sipped your hot chocolate again. You had never had this before, but it tasted good. You were surprised people would heat chocolate up and drink it though. It seemed really weird to do.
 
“So what are you going to do tomorrow?” Changmin asked. You shrugged.
 
“Mollayo. I think look for a job.” You said, “is the job as schedule manager still vacant?” You added teasingly.
 
“You could always be my personal assistant.. We’d have a lot more fun like that.” He teased back.
 
“Oppa wouldn’t let me.” You said while shaking your head. Thinking about what had happened today, or rather yesterday, it didn’t seem like a good idea to work for DBSK. Eunhyuk wouldn’t like it. You rubbed your temples as you thought about what Yoochun had said. You didn’t want to hurt him, but you knew you didn’t like him as more than a friend.
 
“Yoochun confessed to you.. He told me about it. And now you’re worrying about it.” Changmin stated, it wasn’t even slightly questioning. You glanced at him, in the light from outside you could vaguely see the lines of his face turn into a soft smile.
 
“How do you even know that?” You asked. He shrugged.
 
“I’m supposed to know, I’m your best friend.” He said shortly.You nodded, even though that didn’t make any sense. He always seemed to know what was wrong exactly, without even asking. You were happy you didn’t have anything to hide from him. And you liked him too much to want to hide anything. You blinked. You didn’t hide anything because you liked him, and he liked you. So if you got Jaejoong to like you, then you wouldn’t have to hide things anymore, and you could be friends. But liking each other is part of being friends, said your conscience. You sighed.
 
“Ae, I can’t read your mind. This time you’re going to have to tell me. I can see it’s boy trouble though, otherwise you wouldn’t sigh like that.” You chuckled.
 
“I think that I don’t hide things from you because I like you. And you know all of these things because you like me.. So if Jaejoong liked me a little more..-” He laughed, making you stop. Was it really so strange?
 
“Ae.. You’re very much like a kid. But I guess that’s fine if it’s you.. I don’t know all these things simply because I like you and you like me. If that was the case, Taemin would know all of this too. But I guess, you do want to be friends with Jaejoong?” You nodded, slightly dissapointed that you had overlooked that.
 
“Let’s work hard on that then.. I’m tired now.” He yawned, “hug me. Then I’ll walk you home.” You got up and hugged him, but he pulled you on his lap and rubbed his head against your shoulder.
 
“You’re too tired to walk me home.. I’ll go by myself.” You said, brushing his hair out of his face.
 
“No! It’s dangerous at night!”
 
“It’s not even twenty feet from here.” He was silent. That was a good argument of course. He shook his head again.
 
“It’s still dangerous.. You should just stay here.. It’s not like we don’t stay at your place..”
 
“But Taemin doesn’t know I’m gone.. I should go back.” He pouted and you patted him head. After sending him to bed you left the house and went back to your own bed. You smiled contendly as you fell asleep.
 
The next morning, the events of the night seemed like a dream. But you could still faintly taste the chocolate in your mouth, so you knew it was real. You quickly brushed your teeth before heading to the living room. Oppa was awake.
 
“Ahnyeong.. I see you woke up last night?” He said, pointing at the deserted couch. You chuckled.
 
“Mianhae, I didn’t want to wake you but I couldn’t move you either.” You said, softly pushing your fingertips together. He ruffled your hair and smiled.
 
“No big deal. Saranghae dongsaeng.” You smiled and walked into the kitchen. Taemin followed behind you.
 
“Let’s go out for dinner tonight.. I want to spend more time together..” He whined. You laughed at him, but then hugged him.
 
“I know.. Me too. But I’m going to find a job today remember?”
 
“Try SHINee.. I trust them and I’m sure they could always use extra help.” Taemin said, it sounded very much like you expected it, but at least he was allowing you a job now. You nodded, but weren’t sure if it was really a good idea to work for the hyper and bubbly little Taemin. The doorbell rung. You sighed and walked to the door to open it.
 
“Ahnyeonghaseyo.” You nodded and bowed at him. What was he even doing here?
 
“Are you here for Taemin oppa?” You asked, “I’ll just call him..” He took your hand before you could.
 
“I’m here for you.. Not him.”