Chapter 42

Are you drunk?

 

 
“Sorry I’m late Cheon-shi.” You said as you handed him and Taemin the coffee.
 
“That’s fine, I figured you’d be held up a little.” Cheon said. You then checked the schedule and felt very sorry for Taemin. There were 90 more minutes of this ‘clothes picking’ left. At least they had decided on the fabric, it was going to be silk. While waiting for Taemin’s personal hell to end, you assumed they had also picked a theme colour. Cheon confirmed this. The theme colour was dark blue.
 
“I’m done!” Taemin said at a point. You agreed with him and could clearly see the unhappiness radiate off him. You wanted to help him.
 
“It’s almost break time. You should make the final decision now.” You said, “you need three outfits, and now we have five to choose from.” You said, trying not to make it sound like you were in charge. But it ended up like that anyway.
 
“Since you seem to know so much about Taemin, why don’t you choose?” The manager asked, he didn’t even seem mad. He really believed you knew what both Taemin and his fans would like best. You thought for a moment.
 
“Well, the first suit definitely. And the fancy outfit with the shirt with cut open arms, the black pants and the coat. And the baggy pants with the blue tank top.” You said, and they all liked it.
 
“And the shoes?” One of the designers asked, pointing at the shoes they had brought.
 
“Shoes that are like army boots, but less brute.” You said calmly as if you did this everyday. Taemin picked a pair of boots out of the large collection. Cheon smiled at you.
 
“You would make a teriffic assistant manager. Do you want me to look and see if there’s a position left?” You laughed shyly.
 
“I don’t think I’m that good.” You muttered.
 
“Well I think you did very well. And this way Taemin can watch over you a little while you’re working.”
 
“But what about tours? Aren’t you oblidged to be with Taemin too during the tours?” Cheon smiled softly.
 
“Yes, but I can pull some strings. You know that Taemin has a tour soon, right?” You nodded.
 
“Because of his new album; ‘Say goodbye to me’ he has to tour.” Cheon laughed.
 
“Did you two discuss this?” You shook your head. It wasn’t neccesary for you and Taemin to talk. You understood each other even without speaking. 
 
“It’s a twin thing right?” You nodded. There wasn’t really a magic line between you and oppa, but you could understand easily what others couldn’t. Then, at last, it was break time. Taemin and you walked outside to get him some air.
 
“So, I heard you two talking. Are you going to be assistant manager?” He asked while eating chicken. You had coffee. You sighed.
 
“I don’t know.. I don’t think I can do it..”
 
“Who’s assistant manager are you going to be?”
 
“Changmin!” You smiled at him, “Junsu, Yunho. Ahnyeonghaseyo!” Both of them smiled.
 
“Ae, are you really going to be assistant manager?” Yunho asked curiously, it made you giggle.
 
“If Cheon-shi finds me something, I’ll aplly. But that’s all there is to say about it.” You answered.
 
“Hyung, do we have an assistant manager?” Junsu asked. Yunho chuckled.
 
“I’m not sure, but I suppose we do. Changmin, do we have one?” Changmin laughed at them, clearly thinking that it was stupid of them not to know. Then he smiled widely.
 
“We have two, used to be three. But one was fired recently.”
 
“Then you have to apply!” Junsu exclaimed, hugging you happily, but he jumped back when he saw Taemin glare at him.
 
“You said you’d apply if there was a position. Why did we have three anyway?” Yunho asked, turning to Changmin again, “Taemin only has one.” Changmin seemed to prepare himself as if he had to explain something to a first grader. And he seemed to enjoy it.
 
“We have a financial assistant manager, he takes care of payment issues. We have a preformance assistant manager who always comes with us when we’re on tours or preforming, he makes sure everything is arranged. And we have a schedule assistant manager who was recently fired.” You smiled, if it was just schedules, you wouldn’t have to go away. It seemed like a good idea.
 
“If you apply for it, you will have to deal with us. All of us.” Changmin said. You nodded and sipped your coffee.
 
“Ahnyeong Ae!” You almost coughed up the coffee again, “would you like something to eat?” Junsu, Yunho and Taemin stared at Jaejoong. It was their first time seeing him acting this way. For Changmin too, be he seemed to know what was going on. Of course, he was the one who told Jaejoong, you were sure. And he thought it was funny.
 
“No that’s fine..” You said shortly.
 
“Yah! Don’t hit on my dongsaeng!” Taemin yelled, snapping out of his trance. Jaejoong protectively raised his hands and took a step back.
 
“I’m not hitting on her! I just wondered if she wanted something to eat. You’re eating without her you know?” He pointed out. Taemin growled and you quickly stepped in.
 
“It’s really okay!” You said, moving a little closer to Taemin to stop him from attacking Jaejoong if he was stupid enough to say another thing about doubting his care for you.
 
“You have to eat!” Changmin laughed loudly, causing Jaejoong to shoot a glare at him. Changmin stopped laughing and stood up straight.
 
“Mianhae hyung. Ae, as your best friend..-” He started but was interupted by both you and Taemin.
 
“When I’m/oppa’s not around.” You and Taemin said at the exact same time. Changmin shrugged.
 
“Whatever, as I was saying. Ae as your best friend it’s my job to keep you healthy. So I’m treating you to lunch now bye hyungs!” He grabbed your hand and before anyone could react ran for it.
 
“Don’t kidnap my dongsaeng!” You heard Taemin yell, but Changmin ignored him and continued to drag you into the maze of the company. After more turns and stairs than you could count, he finally stopped.
 
“Phew, we lost them.. Did hyung bother you?” He asked, giving you a concerned look. He let your arm go and you nodded.
 
“Why did you tell him?” You asked, Changmin had promised to help keep your secret, he must have had a good reason for it, you were sure.
 
“Because he was acting up about how stupid you were for hanging out with ‘those guys’ (SHINee) because it was o so dangerous for you blah blah blah. So I decided to point out to him that they were a lot more careful with you than he was. My guess is he feels ashamed right now.” You sighed.
 
“I don’t want him too. It’ll only make me feel guilty. And it’ll upset oppa.” Changmin grinned.
 
“I’ll make sure to tell him that. Now how about that lunch?” Of course, there was no one in the world who loved eating more than Changmin. You gave him your arm and he somehow sneaked you into the Girl’s Generation break room. They weren’t there, but Changmin said he knew they’d be okay with you eating some of their food. 
 
“They don’t really eat a lot.” He said while examening the food. ‘Maybe you just eat a lot so it seems to you like they eat little.’ You thought, and smiled at that. Changmin was great. 
 
“So, Jaejoong.” Changmin said, after he had piled food up on a plate for himself and you had gotten yourself about a third of that amount. You sat down and gave him a curious look.
 
“What about him?” You asked, it didn’t really make sense for Changmin to bring him up again.
 
“Do you honestly find him annoying?” You frowned, and then shook your head.
 
“It’s really awkward. He’s older than I am.. I don’t want to see him like this.”
 
“I’d crawl through dirt for you! And I’m older than you are!” Changmin exclaimed, seeming a little upset.
 
“With you it isn’t as forced. Ever since he met the real me, he’s been mostly cold or plain weird. You’ve always been nice to me so.. It doesn’t feel as fake.” Changmin chuckled.
 
“It isn’t as much fake.. He’s shy around new people. But I suppose you’re right. He doesn’t dislike you, he’s just clumsy.” You nodded slightly and he smiled at you.
 
“It doesn’t matter, you like me better right?” He said in a childish voice. You giggled.
 
“Yes, you’re my best friend when oppa’s not around.”
 
“What about when he is around? I feel neglected!” He pouted, and faked a heartache. 
 
“Then you’re my second best friend.” You said. He smiled at that and sighed.
 
“Good enough for me. Let’s promise to be best friends forever! Taemin is related to you so he doesn’t count, arasso?” He had a point there. You held out your pinkie and you swore to be best friends forever. After eating lunch together, you decided to wash up before heading back to the others. While you were washing your face, a girl walked in.
 
“Ahnyeonghaseyo! Eh, who are you?” She asked, you quickly dried your hands and face, jumped straight and bowed for her.
 
“Han Hyun Ae imnida.” You said. She laughed softly, but not unfriendly. She glanced at you.
 
“Well I can’t say that rings a bell, but you do look familiar.. Han Hyun Ae.. Are you possibly related to Taemin? As in Han Taemin?” You nodded.
 
“Ne..” You said, “not to be rude, but who are you?” She smiled. She was really pretty.
 
“I’m Lee Ji Eun, but I’m usually called IU so you can call me IU too.” You nodded.
 
“I should go now..” You said, she nodded and you left the bathroom. Outside Changmin was pacing.
 
“Why are you late?” He asked. You looked at your feet.
 
“Someone saw me.” You muttered, and saw him move his hand through his hair in distress.
 
“Who?” He asked, “maybe I can..-”
 
“IU.” He smiled and then sighed. He explained to you who IU was, and that they were in fact friends. He sent her a short text message telling her not to tell people about you, and that he’d explain everything later. Five seconds later he got a reply from her saying that that was fine, as long as he’d bring you with him for the explanation.
 
‘She looks really cute! Are you two dating?’ Changmin blushed slightly at that and quickly hid his phone.
 
“Let’s go back before your oppa skins me.” He said a little absent minded before walking off. You quickly followed him.