Chapter 12 REDONE

Are you drunk?

"Taemin Wait!" You heard a voice behind you calling after you as you rushed down the stairs. It wasn’t Jaejoong so you turned to see Yunho. He jumped down the stairs and grabbed your shoulders.

"Hyun Ae I can tell things are hard for you. Just tell me what’s going on alright? I said I would help you and I will. Please just let me help you." He looked so worried that you sighed and caved in, momentarily careless about your emotional outbreak.

"Everything is wrong! I hate being like this! I hate being here when I should be back there looking out for my twin and I hate Jaejoong!" You almost yelped while tears were sliding down your face. Dong Bang Shin Ki’s leader sighed in return and pulled you into a hug. It felt strange to you and a tad uncomfortable. Yunho’s shoulders were as stiff as yours felt.

"You don’t hate him, you just hate his attitude. Please, he doesn’t really mean bad. I know that he can come across as a cold person but he really isn’t. If you rest you will see it that way too. Hyun Ae, please don’t cry like this.. I’m horrible with sad girls.." Well what else were you going to you?

"Then why not pretend I’m a crying guy?" You hiccupped as you tried to calm yourself. No matter what Yunho said, you couldn’t believe that Jaejoong was nice the way he talked.

"Because oddly enough crying guys are even more difficult for me. I won’t be able to tell if they’ll get angry. You miss Taemin don’t you..?" The sad look in his eyes reminded you that he too had siblings. With a sigh you rubbed your eyes, wiping away the tears as well as smudging your make up.

"I’m sorry. I’m not making this easy for you either." You muttered, glancing down at your hands. Since you played this roll you felt like you had to be as tough as you could, even rejecting Yunho’s help when you really needed it. Yet he had never given up on trying to help you. Yunho smiled and brushed your cheeks, wiping away the leftover tears.

"Don’t be. I promised I would help you and I don’t go back on my word okay?" You nodded in silence at his words. How could you get Taemin to accept his help though? For a few moments you stood there in silence, trying to come up with the next plan of action.

"When this is over we should hang out. I mean, it’d be fun to get to know the real Hyun Ae." Yunho mumbled. If Taemin didn’t skin him first, you thought to yourself. That made you grin a little.

"Taemin calls me Ai. I can give you his phone number and then you can ask him about me. I’m too confused to be me at this time. I can’t promise Taemin will want to tell you though." That last comment made Yunho laugh as he stepped back to create a more comfortable distance between the two of you.

"You’re still doing a good job at being Hyun Ae. I can see how different you are." He said. His gaze was powerful and you felt a bit uncomfortable trapped underneath it. It was like he was trying to see through you and you weren’t sure you wanted that.

"I should go find a bathroom. I need to clean my face." You told him partially because it was true and partially to get away from the situation. Yunho nodded and gave your shoulders a few pats. You turned away and wandered along the halls, making sure not to show off your face to anyone. ‘I can do this.’ You told your mirror image. ‘Yunho’s helping me, I can do this.’

You didn’t get to see Taemin that day.

The days continued to drag on day by day. You didn’t like it but you started to see your hips become bony and your arms a little bulgy with muscles. Taemin didn’t like it all that much either but the fans seemed appreciative of your selca’s. They weren’t really selca’s, the manager had recruited people to help you take them after all.

Even though you had been promised you would be able to see Taemin soon there was a new excuse every day. There was practice you needed to do. There was a radio show. There was a song you needed to demo for Taemin. There were scripts you had to review. Every waking second seemed to be full of reasons why you couldn’t see your twin and you hated it. Every new day felt more miserable than the day before and it really started to show.

 

"I’m so tired." You groaned as you sat down at in the lounge and dropped your head in your hands. For some reason the manager had decided you would have a public appearance, which scared you. It’s one thing to go on national television but meeting people in person felt more wrong than that. It was cheating them. They were spending money to come see a fake Taemin.

"Who came up with the brilliant idea of a fan meeting whilst I’m still here?!" You yelled at the manager. He didn’t’seem at all fazed by your repulsion and sat down across you. Something about him seemed more threatening than it had before.

"Actually, you’re the one who made this happen. Taemin has never been more popular than he is right now. You wouldn’t want them to go looking for you somewhere else after all.." You glared at him some more. He seemed utterly satisfied with your suffering, as long as it brought him money. Unbelievable that he wouldn’t give your brother a break whilst he was still recovering.

"Alright then. Get me some soju and send them in." You said in a dramatic fashion which made your supporting crew laugh, but you were done. Drinking felt like a great option at the moment. After you had a few shots of soju the door to the lounge was opened and three girls entered the room. For a few moments they stood there in silence. Then one of them let out a shriek.

"It’s really oppa! Taemin we love you!! You’re so handsome!" They chorused. You smirked even though you saw no real reason to smirk at anything. Alcohol again seemed like a good option. Would they smell it? Maybe so.

"Please ladies, you don’t have to yell. My hearing is just fine and you’re close enough to talk to me comfortably." You assured them. You felt cockier than Taemin had been in any of his videos. Maybe it was out of anger at the situation you were in. The girls didn’t seem to notice and quickly scooted closer to you. You got up from your chair and pushed a pair of sunglasses into your hair. It dragged out another sigh.

"You only have me for five minutes I’m afraid. So tell me your wish, huh?" You asked them, almost laughing. Their faces were so happy but you couldn’t even tell them apart. You were somewhat aware that the manager was watching you anxiously from the corner.

"Taemin oppa, take a picture with us!" The tallest of the girls yelled. Though she was the tallest amongst them she certainly wasn’t as tall as you or Taemin. She did wear a lot of make up but no more than you currently were.

"Alright, let’s take a picture." You gave her a smirk and she clung to your arm immediately while taking a picture from above. Apparently that would make her look thin or something. You smirked at the camera and winked as the picture was taken. Finally there was some use for your muscles. She really seemed to buy into this crap of you being a guy. Was it that easy to fool people? Maybe you should just have a surgery done. The girls smiled at you seductively, apparently. You still hadn’t figured out what guys actually found seductive about it. After wriggling your arm free you turned to the other two girls.

"Wouldn’t you like a photo as well?" You asked them. They had been quiet since the tall girl had made her move. You expected that the tall girl was the leader of their friend group. As the girl grabbed hold of your arm again and let out a whiny “oppa” you knew you were right.

"What’s wrong? Wouldn’t you like a picture with all of us?" You said the last words very slowly in a low voice to make sure she caught your meaning. As unhappy as you were it felt like an injustice. They had paid money to see a fake Taemin and they would get a picture with him too. The tall girl shook her head and she seemed a bit frightened. You wondered if your bad mood had seeped onto your face and took the smallest of the girls in a playful embrace as the other two moved to either sides of you.

"Satisfied?" You asked the three of them once the pictures were taken by a friendly staff member. The smallest girl nodded and stared at her feet. What a cute kid she was, you thought to yourself and ruffled your hair. Maybe today wasn’t that bad. It probably was, but maybe not.

"Don’t turn your face away. Have some more confidence and remember Taemin told you so." You whispered at the girl, causing her to blush a very dark shade of red. It was time for them to leave. The tallest girl waved very enthusiastically at you and the other two just smiled at you. You took a very fancy bow and they left. Once they’d gone you dropped yourself back on the couch with a cry and looked around for the soju. The manager seemed to finally grab hold of the situation and sat down beside you.

"Sorry about your fans. And I’m sorry about this whole thing. It’s just that the president doesn’t know about your trick and he expects high productivity." You leaned back against the couch and made and attempt to relax your shoulders.

"Just let me meet my brother." You asked him with a pleading look. He sighed and nodded but as for usual nothing would happen. For the next hours you were visited by at least 120 girls and to you it was all confusing. They tried often to give you gifts, which the company took away because you could not accept gifts from fans. Some girls had very strange requests like asking you to crawl into a ball with them next to you for a photo. As the day dragged on you felt increasingly sorry for Taemin.

 

"Are we done yet?" You asked for the 40th time that evening. After many hours the manager finally nodded as he closed off the entrance from that side. Finally. You stretched out and laid yourself over the couch, glancing up at the ceiling.

"It looks like someone is tired. You sure have a lot of fans Taemin!" You heard a familiar voice call as five pairs of footsteps neared the couch you had planned to fall asleep on.

"Go away hyung. I don’t feel like being looked down on." You said in a cold voice, not even bothering to look at them. It wasn’t that you were mad with them, the day had just been too tiring.

"You’re so mean!" A different voice which you knew to belong to Junsu said. As you heard his footsteps approach you moved your legs back because you knew he would jump on the couch next to you. He did. You glared at him but dropped your legs over his lap when he didn’t respond.

"Taeminnie, don’t be like that. You know we love you!" He tried, glancing at you. You rolled your eyes and leaned back, groaning.

"Taemin you smell like alcohol." Junsu said in a more worried tone. Four other faces appeared on the other side of the couch so you just sat up and shook your head.

"It’s not like that at all! I just..- I’m very tired okay? I’m going home for tonight." You mumbled and got up. Yunho glanced at you, clearly trying very hard to make eye contact with you. Today he wasn’t the only one who seemed worried.

"I’ll drive you home." Yunho  finally said, "you can’t drive like this you idiot." You nodded, too tired to protest. You couldn’t even drive anyway, so you threw him the keys. As they were in mid-air another hand suddenly grabbed them, it was Jaejoong.

"I’ll drive him home. I have things at home that need tending to." He insisted. It sounded like a really lame excuse but you didn’t feel like arguing with him tonight. You followed him to your car. Much to your surprise he didn’t say anything, he just kept walking. That worked out for you. As soon as you got into the car you curled up in your seat. Shortly afterwards you fell asleep.