Taken

Infinitely Dangerous

 

“Minji, you have to wake up.” Someone tapped my cheek. I opened my eyes, gasping in pain. The first thing I looked for was my gun and my fingers curled around something, but I realized it was just sand.

“Mels. It hurts…” I said softly, my eyes beginning to close. “No. wake up MInji. You can’t fall asleep. I’m going to get you medical attention.” Her warm and familiar voice made me want to sleep all the more.

I heard her make a phone call and she slung my arm around her shoulders and got me to the car. She floored it and was headed somewhere, but the jostling of the car wasn’t helping. My hand was pressed tightly on the gunshot wound in my side trying to stop the bleeding, as futile as it was.

“Did I get the briefcase?” I asked softly. “Yes Minji. You did a good job, honey. Now we’re going to fix you up.”

We pulled up in a long driveway and she came to get me again. Someone opened the door just before we got there and the light hurt my eyes.

“Bring her in.” the female voice ushered and I was put on a cold gurney. She used scissors to cut away what was left was my shirt and pants.

“Melina, get me the anesthesia. I need to get the bullets out before they move any deeper and puncture something important.” After she said that I felt a cold needle slip under my skin and then even before I counted to five, I was gone.

I woke up, but I was confused on what time it was and where I was. “You’re awake.” Melina said sitting up. She had a slight bed head. I couldn’t speak so I nodded weakly.

Then her expression changed to one of sadness mixed with anger. “Do you want to kill you myself?! Why would you antagonize them? Better yet, why would you face them head on?! You were lucky they didn't all use you for target practice or else I would be arranging you funeral!” she slammed her fist down on the bed.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” I said weakly. “They had me cornered. There’s seven of them and one of me.” I said softly.

“Well Valerie took out the two bullets. You’re all stitched up. So don’t you dare exert yourself and pop your stitches. Shadow won’t have anything to complain about because you did your mission, not as beautifully as you usually would have done, but you completed it all the same.” She grabbed my hand. “Don’t scare me like that.” She said and kissed my forehead before leaving.

I sighed and sank back into the soft bed. Valerie was one of the many doctors that Shadow kept under his wing to deal with situations like mine.

I didn't know how close I came to dying, but I knew that I also gave myself an excuse to not go back to the guys for a long time, if ever.

I closed my eyes trying to rest, but I became painfully aware when I heard a gunshot sound and a scream ringing through the house. I looked around and was glad that Melina had the foresight to leave my gun nearby. I checked the magazine and clicked the safety. Suddenly a figure appeared in the doorway and I was about to shoo,t but I realized it was Melina and someone had a gun pointed at her head making her backup into my room.

Her hands were up and she had no gun. When she turned I saw that her cheek was swollen and red.

I pointed my gun at the unknown man but he just smirked. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you. I think I can put a bullet in her head, faster than you can put a bullet in mine.”

My teeth clenched knowing he was right.

“Where’s Valerie?” I asked. “The good doctor? Her leg is possibly bleeding out. And you can save her, as long as you come with us.” He said. And suddenly when I saw a flash of the watch on his wrist and I knew he was the one who had beaten me up two days ago.

His face was a classical, cold kind of handsome. But he had a small scar on his lower jaw, which almost added to the coldness in his gaze. “Let her go. I’ll come.”

“No!” Melina said and looked at him defiantly, like she was daring him to shoot her.

“Well she’s coming with us whether she wants to or not and whether you are alive or not. So take you pick.” He said voice hard.

“I’ll go with you. But Mels needs to be completely unharmed from this point on.” My eyes narrowed. My adrenaline pumping made me temporarily forget about my pain.

“We have a deal.” He smiled and I just wanted to shoot him in the face.

“Come now. Get up and eject your magazine.” He said eyebrow raised. I did as he said and slowly got up out of the bed.

I put on my shoes and walked towards them hands out to showed them I didn’t have anything. “Good girl.”

“Don’t do it Minji. You don’t know what they’re going to do to you.” Melina said her voice pleading.

“Oh just shut up already.” And he used the of his gun to knock her temple and she fainted, dropping to the ground.

“Don’t touch her again and I’ll kill you.” I growled.

“Puppy has some bark but in your condition, I’m pretty sure you have no bite.” He grabbed my arm and yanked me painfully towards him and slapped handcuffs on my wrists.

“Let’s go to a party.” He said in my ear and I elbowed him in the ribs. He growled. “I’ll pay you back for that.” And he dragged me downstairs and to his car. “Valerie. Call Ethan!” I shouted before I was blindfolded and shoved into the car. I sensed three other people besides the man.

“Where are you taking me?” I asked. “Just some place.” He replied and then they all stayed silent until we pulled to a stop somewhere.

“Move her to the room.” The man ordered. His voice was the only one I heard so far.

“Yes sir.” The one sitting to my right said and grabbed my arm none too gently and pulled me stumbling inside some sort of compound.

I finally got to sit when he plopped me down in a cold metal chair and removed my blindfold. The room was decrepit. Gray walls, metal table, metal chairs and along one was a one way glass.

He also undid my handcuffs before he left me so I was rubbing my wrists, trying to get the feeling back into them. My gunshot wounds were throbbing, but the bandages on them were still white so I was glad I hadn’t popped a stitch or something.

Suddenly the man came in and following him was the woman who had also hurt me. What were the chances? She was pretty. Long flowing back hair, agile figure, but there was coldness in her eyes, I only saw in a few assassins before.

“You might not know who we are.” He started but I interrupted him. “I do. You two beat me up in the alley.” I said leaning back in my chair.

“So she’s smart too. I knew her innocent act was an act. She didn’t even try to struggle.” She muttered.

“Shush.” He hushed her. “Well then we don’t need to beat around the bush. We already know you are working for Shadow. Why are you trying to get close to Infinite?”

I glanced around the room carefreely.

“They’re good looking enough. Maybe I was trying to snag myself a boyfriend.” I smiled.

He closed his eyes there was a twitch in his jaw.

“I’ll ask again. Why?” and I stayed quiet this time. I knew it was coming but I swear my vision out for a split second when the women slapped me, hard. I tasted blood in the back of my mouth.

“You can hit me as many times as you want. I don’t know why exactly I was set up there and since I don’t know I have nothing to say.”

“You little .” She raised her hand to hit me again but he stopped her. “Hold on.” And she put her hand down.

“Well then why don’t you just tell us anything you know about Shadow’s operation.” He said looking at the folder in his hands.

“If you did your research correctly you would know that I have never seen him in person and I always get my missions through a proxy. So this brings us back to, I can’t say what I don’t know.” I said casually.

I was Shadow’s assassin since I was little and the first rule you learned was even assassins had dignity and loyalty. I was loyal to Shadow because he allowed Melina to keep me and make me what I was today. I wasn't about to be loose lipped and tell them anything I did know.

“Well let’s see if a few days without food will make you more…willing to talk.” He smiled like we were talking about the weather. “I think we should just wait until her stitches set and then get on with the…more fun stuff.” The woman said her blood red lips curling into a smile.

It made me wonder if the guys ever dealt with these two before. They were nothing alike.

I didn't say anything and they left the room.