The Past and the Present

Infinitely Dangerous

Cornered in the alley and nowhere to go, I turned around to face my pursuers. I will never forget the creepy smiles on their faces. “Are you lost little girl? We’ll take good care of you.” The one in the front said and even cold, hungry and tired, I never believed his words, even for a second.

I remembered to never stop fighting. To survive was to keep on fighting. Giving up wasn’t an option. When he grabbed for me I evaded and bit down on his arm, hard. He cursed and slapped me.

My ears rang from that slap, but that didn’t keep me from blindly punching and kicking. I landed some solid blows, but they did as well and I felt my right eye swell up and my rib cage throb. Then suddenly, I heard three thwacks. Thwack. Thwack. Thwack. And with some blood droplets spilling on my skin and my clothes, the three creepy men were face down on the ground of the alley, unmoving.

Standing in the mouth of the alleyway was a figure holding a gun. But the hand holding the gun soon dropped and an empty hand extended to me.

“It’s okay little one. You don’t have to be afraid. I won’t hurt you. You’ll be warm and safe from now on.” the gentle female voice said.

Hesitantly I walked forward, closer.

“What’s your name?” the kind looking woman asked squatting down to my eye level.

“Will you try to sell me, like they did?” I asked, trying to control the fear in my voice. “No. You’re going to be safe. You’re a fighter; I can see it in your eyes. Do you trust me to take care of you? Because I will.” She said and her eyes, even in the darkness showed nothing, but kindness towards me.

“My name is Minji.” And I put my smaller hand in hers.

That was ten years ago…

The cold wind made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was probably my fault because I tied up my hair into a tight bun, but if there was a fight in the near future, I’d rather be cold than give anyone a chance to yank my hair.

If all went well then there would be no fight. No one would even see me do my job. I usually liked smaller guns or knives I could hide but today’s target and mission called for my sniper rifle.

I looked through my scope that was perfectly trained at the doorway of the hotel. He should be coming out any minute now.

I blew out a breath, calming my nerves. I’ve done this almost too many times to count, but I always needed to remind myself to steel my emotions and nerves to feel nothing.

Melina, my godmother had briefed me on the mission about 24 hours ago. The guy I was going to kill deserved it. He was the owner of a casino, but his underground work was selling drugs to teenagers and anyone who didn’t know better. It made me sick. And if someone would pay enough to want him dead, then I would be more than happy to solve the problem.

Tossing aside my thoughts as the front doors of the hotel opened, my finger curled on the trigger and my eye went to the scope. “Bye.” I muttered before flexing my finger and seeing his head jerk back with a spray of blood before he went down. His body guards looked around wildly into the night but they would never be able to see me…until it was too late that is.

Not wasting a second, I dismantled my gun and put it in what looked like a violin case. I took my hair out of the bun, letting it fall down my shoulders and I left the roof.

The poor guy didn’t even know what hit him.

Getting back to our condo, I went around the back and when I got to the door I typed in our excessively long password. Going inside only the kitchen light was on. That meant all was well and that I could safely open all the lights. I went over to the dashboard and flipped the switches.

“I’m guessing it went well?” Melina came out of the shadows. I wasn’t going to ask her how she hid herself so well because she would never tell me.

“Of course, when have I ever failed you?” I said moving a book on the bookcase. It flipped over and revealed an assortment of guns and knives. I stowed away the violin case and took off my long sleeve black sweater and just plopped onto the couch in my tank top and black jeans.

“Never.” She smiled bring me a sandwich and a bottle of water.

“Thanks.” I said as I took a bite of my turkey sandwich.

“How much are we getting paid?” I asked despite my mouth being full. I was an assassin; I didn’t really need the manners of a lady.

“Ten grand before the job and the other four should be getting routed into our accounts now.” She said checking her watch.

I nodded approvingly. “Nice.” I said downing my bottle of water. “So do I get a rest or are you whisking me away on another mission?” I asked, my lips twitching.

“You know that if you don’t want to do it, you can tell me.” She said seriously. My godmother crossed her arms. I knew her age to be not a day over 35, but her presence just screamed that she experienced more than a 35 year old should have. My godmother didn't looked the least bit intimidating. At 5 feet 6, she had an agile and athletic build. Her black hair with light chesnut highlights was swept into a high ponytail. But, if you looked at her closer or stared into her eyes long enough, there was something there. Something that would make you think twice about messing with her.

“You’re studying me again.” She suddenly said and I straightened. “Sorry.” I said. “No worries.” She smiled warmly. “I promise that I’ve told you all about me. And I know that you trust me with all your heart, I won’t do anything to break that. Even if it kills me.” She said and I set down my plate on the glass coffee table.

“You know it’s not like that. I don’t doubt anything you have said. I do trust you, even though we both know it’s a dangerous thing.” I said.

She nodded. I sighed and hugged her. She was surprised, but she hugged me back and my hair. “I know I’ve been hard on you. This isn’t an easy job. I pulled you out of one misfortune into another world of misfortune.” She said softly.

“You know as well as I do that I didn’t want to be in that other world anymore. I was sick of jumping at every shadow and fearing for my next meal.” I muttered.

“It’s not a safe job. I don’t know if I can guarantee safety anymore.” She said softly. “I know it isn’t, but I’d do anything you’d ask because you aren’t just the person who gives me missions and targets. You are my godmother and you pulled me out of the miserable world I was in when I was ten.” She sighed. “Ne, Ne.” Now go shower and get some rest. There will be a mission soon, but the higher ups aren’t letting anything leak. I have a feeling this one is going to be big.” She said releasing me.

“Alright.” Was my simple reply and I went to take a long hot, steaming shower before getting into my pajamas and going into my room.

The walls were a light beautiful turquoise blue and everything was a warm color. I purposely made it this way. I looked into the full-length mirror, at my tousled still damp dark hair and a laugh escaped me.

Dressed in a tank top and sweats, I didn’t look like anyone dangerous at all either. I stared at my hands for a moment. “But, it’s what doesn’t seem like it’s the most dangerous that is.” I muttered softly to myself before climbing into bed and drifting into the darkness of sleep.

 

------------------------------------

I tend to write a lot so don't be surprised if the chapters are kind long sometimes. This is my first fic to be made public for other people other than my bestie to read. So I want some constructive critism. Like it? Hate it? Stuff I need to work on? Comment :]