Goodbyes Once Again

Switched

“So you are really going to leave?” your mom asked.

“Yeah. Everything is going to be getting chaotic soon, so I need to head back,” Jin smiled, glancing over at you. You were standing next to your mom, but instead of looking at Jin, you continued staring at your feet as he said his goodbyes, shifting your hands awkwardly in front of you.

“Well come back to visit anytime you want!” your mom exclaimed, breaking the awkward silence she, most likely, hadn’t noticed.

Jin looked at you one more time and then turned back to your mom, “Okay, I will keep that in mind.” He bent over, “Maybe next time I have a break, you can teach me how to color so good.” He grinned at Tommy.

“Yeah!” Tommy exclaimed with a huge smile. Although all of you had known it was you who had come back to visit so many times in Jin’s body. Tommy had no clue, and thought it was only Jin the entire time.

“Promise?” Jin stuck his pinky out.

“Mmhmm,” Tommy nodded and hooked pinkies with Jin. Jin chuckled and rustled Tommy’s hair as he stood up. He was still smiling when he looked up at you. As soon as his eyes met yours, you tensed up and looked away from his eyes again. You heard Jin breath out slightly.

“I guess I better get going,” Jin smiled. “Goodbye.” And with that he turned around, walked out the door and left you staring at a closed door.

You breathed in, “Okay Tommy, lets go look at your drawings!” you exclaimed with fake happiness.

“~~~~~! Can I talk to you for a minute?” you mom said with a serious tone.

“Sure,” you said with slight confusion. “Go set up. I’ll be there in a minute,” you whispered to Tommy. “What is it?” you asked.

“What happened between you two?” your mom started in.

Your fake smile dropped, “What do you mean?”

“Don’t give me that! I know you know what I am talking about,” she responded.

You looked away from her eyes, “It’s nothing.”

“Don’t lie to me!” your mom yelled, staring you down.

“I’m not,” you defended.

“Look me in the eyes, and tell me that nothing happened between you two,” your mom commanded.

“Noth…”

“Nothing that made you miserable when you had to come home and be away from him. Nothing that made you act so cold and try to push him away!” your mom listed off, her voice growing louder.

“Mom, nothing hap…”

“Nothing that would make you look like someone tore your heart out when he left,” she said softly. It was these moments with your mom that made you forget she was actually your mom. The silliness disappeared and she thought perfectly logical, but the worst part was she made you admit things that you never wanted anyone to hear.

“I…” you looked down at your feet, tears b your eyes.

“You fell for him,” your mom whispered, bending over so she could look in your eyes. “I guessed so.”

“But I…”

“You don’t want him to give up everything for you. I’ve been there,” your mom laughed.

“With who?” you questioned.

“Your father,” she stated, “He loved to travel more than anything, and I wanted to be with him. But… traveling so much took a toll on me and being away from him for a long time when I didn’t travel was even worse.”

“What happened?” you had completely forgotten about Jin.

“He gave it all up… for me,” your mom smiled shyly as if she was a teenager. “And you know what I told him?” she asked leaning towards you. You shook your head. “I told him to go.”

“What?! But…” you were completely baffled, “Why?”

“I told him to keep doing what he loved, and I would always be beside him,” your mom smiled. “If he had given up doing something he loved, he may regret it for the rest of his life. So I travelled with him, but instead of going on all the adventures, I waited back at the lodge or tent for him.”

“I don’t get it. What’s that have to do with me?” you asked.

“It means that sometimes you have to follow the one you love, but you don’t have to be with him every minute, just close enough that you can see him often,” your mom smiled. You looked down at your hands. “I also know for a fact, that Japan has some pretty good colleges that love taking transfers,” your mom smiled.

“Really?!” you exclaimed. “But…”

“Go… we can visit you, you can visit us. Oh! We can even Skype!” Your mom laughed.

You gave your mom a huge hug, “Thank you.”

“Okay I get it! Now go surprise him! And don’t forget to call and give me all the details!” your mom went back to her giddy self. You smiled as you sprinted up the stairs to grab your suitcase. *Please be happy Jin! Don’t tell me I have lost you!*

 

 

Yippie! ~~~~~ you better chase your man! J Also if you are wondering, you are in college, either a Junior or Senior , so don’t think Jin is creeping on high schoolers. Your mom just meant you could switch to a new college over there. I just have to say this on a side note: who is paying for all these flights?! I mean dang! They are all going to be broke after this. I hope you look forward to the next chapter. PLEASE COMMENT!