Your Dad

Switched

“Oh! ~~~~~! What are you doing here?” Jin exclaimed quietly. “No! That won’t work.” He rubbed his head and paced around his bedroom. It was 1 a.m. and Jin had woken himself up to go to one of your morning practices. At the moment he was trying to figure out how to act as if he just happened to go to the dance studio. “~~~~~! What are you up to? Me? I heard some music so I was wondering who was in here,” Jin laughed and pointed at a wall as if talking to you. *I have officially hit rock bottom.* Jin thought sliding his back down the wall. After finishing practice, you and Jin talked about normal stuff and neither of you yelled at each other, which Jin liked more immensely than he let on. So he was going to try to talk to you this morning or help you with a dance.

“I just need to walk in there and be casual, cool and calm,” he muttered, standing back up and taking a deep breath, but stopped mid breath. *Why am I getting so worked up? It is just…~~~~~…* Jin looked at himself in the mirror and sighed, rustling his hair. He walked out of the room, making sure to quietly shut the door behind him. He felt strange that he was sneaking around in his own apartment at night, scared to be spotted by anyone, including you. He got to the studio door and saw no light coming from the crack under the door, so he cautiously opened the door. Inside it was pitch black and there was no one there. Jin shut the door, letting out a loud sigh. *I should have known better* he thought, slightly depressed. He turned to head back to his room when he saw a light glow coming from around the corner. Jin scratched his head and walked towards it. *Is someone in the kitchen?* He suddenly heard a drawer slam and another drawer being shuffled through. *Did a thief get in somehow?!*

Jin ran into the kitchen, “Whoever you are sto…!” Jin froze in place realizing it was you in the kitchen. You had your back partially turned to him and were looking through a drawer that had random things like a spatula and a turkey baster.  “Oh! Hi ~~~~~,” he laughed embarrassedly. You straightened up and looked at Jin wide eyed.

You were slightly stunned, but managed to respond, “Hi…” You both stared at each other awkwardly for a few seconds, until the oven timer went off. Without a word, you spun back around, grabbed an oven mitt and pulled a tray of cookies out of the oven. Jin watched you silently as you put the cookies on a separate plate.

“Why are you making cookies? At 1 a.m.?” Jin breathed, leaning against the counter.

“I don’t know. It’s just a habit,” you smiled, walking over to the counter on the opposite side of Jin. “What are you doing up?”

Jin slid into a chair nearby, “Nothing much,” he said casual, “Just couldn’t sleep.” He reached forward and grabbed a cookie off the plate.

“Oh…” you nodded. *Something’s strange about this.* You bit into the cookie that was in your hand, still keeping an eye on Jin.

“Did you make these from scratch?!” Jin exclaimed, after finishing his first cookie.

“Yeah!” you laughed, “But Junno might be mad tomorrow because I used some of his chocolate bars.”

Jin chuckled at the picture, “That is the one thing that could get him mad.”

You peered at Jin for a few moments, “Are you thinking about something?” you finally asked.

Jin looked up at you from his second cookie, “Hmm…”

“Are you thinking about something?” you repeated.

“I…um…” Jin stuttered, trying to think of an excuse. “Not really. I just was thinking that…. this is the one of the first time we have… you know… talked like this,” Jin said, pointing at both of you with his cookie.

You smiled gently, “It is.” You laughed quietly as if thinking of some inside joke. Jin smiled too. *She is sweet when she is like this* but he quickly shook away those thoughts.

“Have you been up long?” Jin asked, taking his third cookie.

You shrugged, “Not really.” Jin stared at you, unconvinced. “Do you like the cookies?” you asked, switching the topic.

Jin nodded, “Yes! Where did you learn this recipe?”

Your smile dropped, “my dad.”

Jin did not catch the change in your voice, “Really?! I didn’t meet him last time did I?! What’s he like?” Jin asked like a little kid, completely oblivious to you.

“He… is amazing,” you smiled painfully. “He always knew how to make me feel better when I was sad and loved going out fishing.”

“Oh,” Jin nodded.

“Actually he made up this recipe especially for me,” you added, “He told me it will get rid of nerves and give me confidence. So ever time I got nervous about something, we would make it together, just the two of us. Then we would eat the entire batch of cookies,” you laughed remembering the amount of cookies you ate each time. “I miss him so much,” you slipped out on accident.

Jin set down his cookie as his mood changed, “I’m sorry about that,” he muttered. You looked up at him surprised that he was actually apologizing for something. “I know you are so far from your family, and I am only yelling at you all the time, but it really means a lot to me that you are here.”

You sighed and looked at the plate of cookies, “No, it’s not that.”

“What do you mean?” Jin asked. You looked up into Jin’s eyes and felt yourself coming unraveled. He was staring at you with concern filling his eyes and for once you felt as if you could tell him anything.

“He died a year ago,” you breathed quietly. Keeping eye contact with Jin, waiting for his reaction.

Jin’s eyes shot open even wider, his jaw dropping, “What?!” You crumbled the cookie in your hand, dropping the eye contact. “~~~~,” he spoke softly, but still trying to gain your attention. You refused to look up at him and you bit your lip trying not to cry. Jin stared at you and realized what Kame had meant. *She is so fragile.* Within a second, Jin slid out of his chair walked around the counter to where you were and wrapped his arms around you, in a tight warm embrace. You tried to look at him as you felt his arms constrict tighter around you. His sent filled your nose, mixed in with the smell of the cookies. He rested his chin on the top of your head for a second, and then dropped it down to your shoulder. Once again tightening his arms around you, pulling you closer. His warmth seemed to soak into you and warm your heart. You loosened up as he tightened his arms one more time and shifted his head.

“It’s alright…” he whispered gently, “Don’t cry. If your dad could see how hard you are working and how much you are helping us, I think he would be extremely proud of you and be happy that you are his daughter.” You felt your heart overflow with emotions. Tears began to stream down your face uncontrollable, but you did not feel sad. You felt as if a giant weight had been lifted. No one had ever said anything like that to you before. It comforted you and made you feel like your dad was with you. You did not make a sound, but wrapped your arms tight around Jin and rested your head against his chest. As all the tears of confusion and uncertainty fell down your face and you listened to the soothing sound of Jin’s heart beat.

 

 

Looks like Kame didn’t have to spill the secret. Jin was so sweet though. When I am writing I normally get really into my story so during that last scene I actually started to cry. It was a strange sight. Anyway, I hope you look forward to the next chapter. PLEASE COMMENT!