Christmas is Complitated

5 White Girls and 5 Asian Boys (A SHINee SuJu story)

 Kaitlyn's Point of View:

Big puffy clouds that looked like they were going to dump down snow any minute, Christmas carols filling the air, and couples holding hands and giggling as they whispered sweet nothings into each others ears. That was how everyone else's Christmas dates were working out. MinWoo and I sat at a table in my favorite cafe, The Foreigner Cafe, sipping hot chocolate and just being awkward.

"It's so freakin' cold!" I exclaim, taking a long sip of hot chocolate, trying to warm my self up from the inside.

"Of course it's cold, it's winter!" MinWoo replies, laughing at me. It's not my fault I hate the cold, I'm a summer baby! And MinWoo is too, so what's he so happy about?

"Why do you like winter so much?"

"Because of all the people out shopping! It's fun to people watch! Why do you hate it?"

"Because it's cold and there are WAY to many people out... Especially here!" I reply, gesturing to the sidewalk traffic outside the cafe. "The only things that makes winter worth it is Winter Break and Christmas! ... and hot chocolate!"

"Christmas is amazing! All the decorations and presents!"

"MinWoo-Oppa... that's not what Christmas is about..."

"Its not?"

I was shocked. No, Christmas is not about plastic decorations and a fat old guy in a red suit that sneaks into you're house and leaves you presents... MinWoo's going to need to learn a few things.

"Okay, first of all: The Santa in a red suit that leave you presents under your tree or in your stalking- not real. Second of all: Reindeer can't fly. Third of all: Christmas is a day to celebrate Jesus' birthday, even though he was most likely born in September..." I trailed off at some point, leaving MinWoo confused.

"Are you alright Katie?"

"Yep! Perfectly fine! Anyway, where did you learn about Christmas from?"

"My parents..."

"Well, this Christmas you will learn the true meaning of Christmas, even if it means dragging you to the one place Paige avoids like the plague..."

"Wait, you don't mean...?"

"Yes... Church."

 

After explaining to MinWoo the Christian views on Christmas, he walked me home. I was finally forgetting about TaeMin, when suddenly, out of thin air, a note fluttered down from the ceiling of the dorm building.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I can't help but think

Of how much I like you

If you want to know who I am, meet me at the dorm building roof at 8. If you don't show up, I'll know you just aren't ready yet.

"What's this?" MinWoo hands me a CD in a blank case, the CD saying, 'Christmas Song For Katie'.

"It's just a CD," I take the CD from him, for once thankful that someone here DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH! Sorry... Most of the time I want everyone I meet to know English... just not in this case.

"Well, goodbye and goodnight Oppa!" I say, giving MinWoo a hug.

"Yeah, night..."

 

When I get upstairs, almost no one is awake, except for Paige, Key, Oona, and SiWon. When I got there, Key and Paige were talking while taking Vance to bed and Oona was practically passed out on the couch. I walked to my room and knelt by the window, looking up at the barely seeable stars.

"Knock Knock..." It was SiWon. He always knew when something was wrong. He was like a third father* to me in a way, like Paige was a second mother.

"Come in..." I shouldn't have to invite him in, we almost always pray together when he's over here.

"What's on your mind tonight?"

"MinWoo... he didn't know what Christmas was really about, and I explained it to him, but not before I threatened him about Church..."

"About Church," he said with me, already knowing what my threat was.

"I swear, if we don't take everyone to Church this holiday season, I think I might punch a tree... and I like trees!"

After SiWon and I prayed, he left the dorm as far as I could tell. I started to think about TaeMin again. Stop thinking about it Katie...

I see the CD sitting on my desk and walk over, getting it out of the case.

"What am I doing?" I ask out loud, sticking the CD in my Walkman, putting the head phones on and nervously pressing play.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*First father is my Heavenly Father: God, second father is my Earthly Father: my dad, and third father would be an Earthly father that doesn't share you're DNA... I guess.