Specks of Ash

Powers

A/N: It's been a while, but I'm back~

Warning ahead of time, but this one-shot came with a bit more of a serious topic than all of my previous stories combined, but I still hope you enjoy this realistic piece of love story that I've written, combined with a little extra angst. 


There had been no tears when she her heels and left the threshold of their love story.

There had been no good-byes when he took a glance and saw her walking out with nothing more than her pride.

There had been no regrets rolling in his heart once she closed the door, not knowing the full effects of his actions.

 

Her heart was crumpled into dust, abandoned in the fireplace that used to fuel their love. She had been so stupid, so dumb, to not realize the immediate attraction he had felt toward her, the girl that was everything she wasn’t.

She really should have known, she reprimanded herself as she wandered lifelessly on the streets, her feet wordlessly taking her to places that held her bittersweet memories. She should have noticed his crescent smiles, his failing words, and his nickname, precious girl, for the woman he claimed was nothing more than an unrelated sister.

 

“I...I just don’t think we can works out as we thought,” he said, gazing fiercely into her eyes, hesitation no longer visible after his first word.

She didn’t say anything, already understanding the trauma he would leave her with, all smiles and butterflies as he fluttered toward his new flower.

“We weren’t meant to be, Amber. I tried, I really did...I tried to love you, but as I thought, our statuses are too big for us to take control of ourselves,” he suddenly turned away, and out of her peripheral vision, she saw the sight of his distraction. Of course. Of course it was her.

 

I would’ve tried everything and anything to be with you.

 

He would not understand, she knew, as her brown orbs bored into his, noticing nothing but distinct indifference within the depths she loves so deeply.

 

“I’m sorry,” he uttered, those two words full of pity stampeding onto the cracks that had already been formed, shattering and promising hurtful truths.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, voice cracking even as she shielded the empty cage where her heart used to be with the cap that was his present for her. “I’m sorry,” she muttered once again, invisible forces gripping and crushing every muscles in her body, extinguishing the light of her life.

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t good enough for you.”

 

With words left unspoken, she stumbled out of their cafe with nothing but her dignity, her pride. Even as tears threatened to stream down her face, she kept her head held high, fully aware of the many people waiting for her to crack under the pressure.

 

But she would not. She has a life to protect.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“Hasun,” she called out, voice filled with nothing but adoration as she gazed down at the little girl whose tiny arms were wrapped tightly around her leg. Bending down slowly, Amber reached out her hands and gently cradled the toddler in her protection, placing a kiss at the top of her head to reassure her that everything would be alright.

“It’s okay, she can’t hurt you anymore,” she continuously pecked loving kisses against the girl’s cheeks, what little emotions she had left tugging at her nonexistent heart once her sight set on the lash marks left on the little girl’s body. “It’s okay,” she whispered, “I’ll protect you.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Arms crossed defensively across her chest, Amber glowered at the male in front of her. She did not understand. With what reasons, with what purposes, with what madness had he come to the conclusion of.

“Why did you come, Jeon Wonwoo?” her venomous tone snarled at him, startling the man that had received nothing but flowery sweet-nothings from her before. Even when she was mad, even when he was foolish, she never once blamed him for anything, and the guilt tripped him over even before he could realized.

“I’m sorry” was all he could mustered before a resounding cry echoed across the room, the door creaking open as a little girl ran in and clinged onto Amber’s leg. Shortly afterward, his girlfriend stomped in, a large iron rod in her hand as her eyes wildly looked around the expensively-furnished office for the little rascal that ruined her life.

“HASUN!” the female snarled, gaze filled with fury before her eyes finally settled on the shocked Wonwoo and then to Amber, who had the toddler unabashedly hiding behind her protection.

“W-What...what are you doing here o-oppa?” the female dropped the rod, voice achingly sweet as she reached out her arms for her lover, welcoming him into her embrace.

“What the hell are you doing?!” Wonwoo finally snapped, jumping onto his feet as his glare leveled at the fallen weapon at his girlfriend’s side before he turned to the sobbing girl. “What the hell did you do to this poor kid?”

“I-I I didn’t do anything!” the seductress stumbled forward, mouth spewing out lie after lie. “My mom left her with me to babysit, and she was a little devil so I-I...I was just trying to scare her, oppa!” tears brimmed her eyes.

“Go to hell,” Amber finally let out, hugging the toddler into the safety of her arms. Sliding a stack of papers toward the woman, she tapped her pen by the signature line and waited impatiently for the female. “You either sign this, or you will go on trial for emotional and physical abuses toward a minor and child neglect, which are both charges that will put you in jail for the rest of your goddamn life. And don’t worry, I have all the evidences I need to make sure that you never see a day of sunlight ever again.”

Wonwoo’s eyes widened, the oblivious man finally noticing the matching wounds on the little girl’s arms and legs to the bloody marks on the rod that woman had brought in. Going over to Amber’s side, he dropped down onto his knees and gingerly touched the swollen red marks with trembling fingers.

“O-Oppa, please don’t believe her! I swear I didn’t do anything!” The she-devil cried, the fake emotions no longer baiting him like they used to.

“You’re a snake,” Amber spat out before calling in her security team. “As her mother, you should’ve done everything in your power to protect Hasun from the cruelties of this world, but instead, you used her as your punching bag whenever your league of boy toys abandon your sorry self. I was just testing you, but I can’t believe you still have the heart to say those lies. Everything will be counted against you, including all those security cameras the Child Protection Service planted in your house. I’ll see you in court.”

With wails of unfairness, the woman was dragged out from Amber’s office, peace restoring to the marble room as the sniffling child quieted down inside her arms. her hair gently, Amber sighed in relief and leaned back against her chair, forgetting momentarily that Wonwoo was still there.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“...Was that why you were so against her?” the male spoke up, feelings gushing up inside of him at the sight of his ex-lover nestled the toddler against her body. “Amber, why didn’t you say anything?’

“You need to learn how to choose your women better,” Amber muttered, looking up into his eyes to learn that her reflection in his eyes reminded her of when she was all he would look at, would love. But he had grown, and so had she.

“I could’ve helped you,” he plopped down onto the cushioned sofa heavily, face in the palms of his hands as he recalled all the cruel words he uttered to her face, the betraying smiles he shown, and the tower of white lies that shattered her heart into tiny particles of ashes.

“Wonwoo, stop blaming yourself,” familiar hand settled on his shoulder, and he glanced up to the most forgiving smile he never earn. “You didn’t know, and I didn’t even bother to explain. I could’ve try harder.”

“You have a habit of doing that,” the male said bitterly, tone crescendoing into melancholy. “You always keep your problems to yourself, you always plague yourself with so much sorrow that I don’t know how to shoulder them when the time comes to it. Amber, please, don’t torture yourself like that. I’m sorry I couldn’t handle the heavy load that comes with being by your side. I’m so, so sorry for not being there,” Wonwoo shook his head, his arms betraying his mind as they reached out to wrapped around her waist, “Please never forgive me.”

She had flinched slightly at the sudden contact, but her eyes softened once she saw how small his slumped shoulders made him look, how fragile he came to breaking. One hand threading through his hair habitually, Amber stole a glance at the little girl she had laid on the opposite sofa and she questioned whether she could takes a chance of getting hurt again. She questioned everything her heart thrown aside, and little by little, the trillion tiny sparkles fused together into recognizable pieces of her life once again.

“Can I trust you, Wonwoo? Can I leave this tiny, fatal piece of me with you and trust you not to cook it alive again?” her voice broke, and he felt the trembles that came as her hand fell away from his strands.

 

I will do everything and anything in my power to assemble your heart again, my precious lover.

 

On that one rainy afternoon, two souls discovered each other once more, arms gripping tightly onto the missing parts of their halves that is now glued together by a tiny, little miracle named Hasun.

 

 

 

Comment below and tell me whether you like this little change compare to my other works or not, and I apologize if I made you shed tears. But if you did cried, I consider my work as a writer accomplished ^~^ Thanks for reading this story!