Sweet, Sweet Revenge

Powers

Sweet, Sweet Revenge

"Let's break up, Amber. We were never meant for each other. And I was only taking up a dare when I agreed to go out with you" 
I stared at the guy in front of me with cold, hardened eyes. A dare, he say? I wanted to laugh. Here he was explaining this absurd situation to me like I was the one breaking up with him. Fate is such a twisted little thing. 
"You want to end this relationship. Jong Up?" I asked, stating what he was about to do clearly. Laid it out on the table for him to see. 
He nodded with a mocking gaze, though his facade pretended like he couldn't take it anymore. 
"I'm sorry Amber. It's just...your friends kept on pestering me about our relationship and..." He trailed off "I just don't think we should be together."
I nodded in understanding. At least be isn't being rude.
"I'm way out of your league" he chuckled and I glanced up with wide eyes. Here in front of me was no longer the gentleman I thought he was. Here he was, teasing me, punching and tearing at my already broken heart. 
"Jong Up, you're..." I started, but couldn't finish as I felt a painful tug at my heartstrings. Yes, there it was. The maze of strings were slowly, painstakingly untangling itself. 
The barrier between my heart and reality was broken.  
"I was nice enough to be your boyfriend for two whole months. Now, I think you should give my girlfriend and I something as payment" he sneered at me and my whole world shattered. 
I looked up at him, and could see the emotions dancing in his eyes. I watched the way he kept on looking back and forth toward his car, where a girl with long wavy hair was standing. She was beautiful. I could tell even from afar. 
"Alright" I pretended to laugh like this relationship was a joke. "I'll give you a hotel ticket as congratulations to your new relationship. Though...you better treat her carefully or I'll go after you" I winked and placed two tickets to a fancy hotel in his hands. As I lifted my hand away from his, I could feel the warmth and my soul lifting away from me. Going somewhere far far away where I couldn't reach. 
"Thanks, Amber! I knew you would understand!" He clutched the tickets with new founded happiness and ran toward his car, taking the effort to wave at me before climbing into the front seat and kissing the girl. He show her the tickets, and I could see her thankful eyes that looked right through my soul. I smiled back, and turned away as tears slipped from my eyes. I hurriedly wiped them away with the sleeves of my jacket and got out my phone. 
'Hey, you're welcome about the tickets. I won't take him away from you so no worry ^.^' I texted my best friend and strode toward my house. Yes, that's right. My ex-boyfriend's girlfriend is my best friend. She had always been the nicest to me and was like a mother hen. She was beautiful and caring, his type of girl. I knew it from the moment I introduced them to each other. I knew from the way they stared at each other as if glued. They were shot by Cupid's arrows the first time they met. 
"Stupid Jong Up." I muttered and stared at the sky, willing for it to rain. It would have the perfect weather to be under with a broken heart. "You couldn't have chose a better day, huh? It was our 100 days anniversary" 
It was ironic, really, how our anniversary coincided with this heartfelt breakup. I guess that's what happened when I fall in love too deeply. I knew he only saw me as a fun companion to be with. 

 

"Hey, Amber, what's with the sad face?" My roommate asked when I trudged back into our dorm room looking like a zombie. I looked at her with her worried and the strong me broke. 
"Amber?" She said in alarm as I collapsed right at the door. The trapped tears were now pouring out just like how much my heart had broke. "Amber?" She whispers, and came close to me, engulfing me in her comforting embrace. "It's okay, forget about him." She cooed at me like she was talking to a child. 
I wanted to laugh. I really did. Why am I crying when I told him it was just a game? Why couldn't I throw away my pride and admitted that I had fallen in love? Why did I even started this whole relationship when I knew...I was just a stepping stone for the happy couple? 
My heart wrenched as my breathing got shallow. My chest suffocated and I could barely breath anymore. I gasped at the pain and wished for it to go away. It was just too much. "Amber" somewhere far away I could hear the comforting whisper "It's okay. C'mon. Breath in, breath out" she repeated the instruction and I nodded, slowly obeying it to be able to live. Though, I didn't think I have the will to live anymore. But I have to. For my family. They didn't work so hard just for me to abandoned college. 
As one of my eyes started to opened and bright light streamed in, I groaned at the impact and shut my eyes tightly. Beside me, my roommate laughed and forced open my eyes for me to get used to it. After a while, I joined her and even though all of the hurt feelings didn't go away, it was still refreshing to be able to hear laughter. Real laughter. 

 

 

"Do you want some ice cream? And cookies? And movie?" She asked as she moved across the room and toward the living room. After forcing me into the bathroom and shoving me into comfortable pajama, she had made it her mission to get me to forget about it. Forget about all my pain. Even though we both knew tomorrow was right around the corner. 

 


"Good morning Amber, Michelle." A few students greeted us as we walked across the hallway toward our first lecture. Torturous, tortuous Monday. 
"'Morning" I waved with a small smile as I eyed a couple linking arms across the hallway. Michelle seemed to have noticed too as she poked my side and pointed with her eyes. I nodded and started to walk toward them, with Michelle pulling me back toward our original path. She thought I had gone crazy. 
"Hey Eunseo. Hey Jong Up" I said as Jong Up and I do our usual bro hug. I hoped he didn't hear the pounding of my heart. Michelle, who was beside me let out a force grin, and waved weakly. 
"Amber!" Eunseo squealed as she pulled me into a hug. "Thank you so much for the ticket yesterday! We had some great time, right Jong?" She smiled sweetly at Jong Up. He nodded blissfully. 
Michelle's eyes were widened and she quickly tugged at my arm, pulling me away while throwing the couple some random excuse about being late to class. 
"Have you gone nut?!" She yelled once she was outside, and I just smiled. 
"Maybe I have. But hey, it's not her fault. She didn't know Jong Up and I were dating before. He wanted to keep it a secret so we didn't tell anyone." I explained, and inside of me feels as cold as ice. It was as if I had really lost a heart. 
"You little...!" Michelle glared at me, laser shooting out of her eyes. If look could kill, this whole planet would have been dead. 
"Michelle...stop it" I said at last "It's already over, okay? I have nothing to do with him anymore. They were meant for each other! Anyone could've seen that!" I paused and for the first time, smiled a fake smile "We both know the moment he accepted my confession that he didn't want to be seen next to me. That's why he wanted to keep it a secret. So that Eunseo would know he's still available when he got her heart" 
Michelle sighed, clenching her fists at her side. I was glad she was getting mad for my sake, but I just want to let life played it course. If we were meant to be, we would have stayed together. 
"You know what, I give up" Michelle shook her head in despair "I've known you since middle school and almost nothing could stop your will of forgetting thing. I know you can get over him" she smiled kindly and patted me on the back "Now c'mon, wouldn't wanna be late to the most interesting class ever" she said, exasperated and I rolled my eyes. 

 


*5 years later*
I walked into the building of my company, the specially designed boot/heel clanking against the marble floor. I breathed in the refreshing air and opened the door to my office. 
"Good morning!" I smiled brightly at my team, getting a few greetings back and opened the door to my office. I set down my bag and sat into the comfy chair as my secretary set up a  tower of papers that needed to be sign on my desk. 
"Now hurry it up, Amber. You have got to beat your record from last time!" Michelle scolded me as I grinned. 
"Oh please, spare me a bit, oh Great Demon Master" I slipped  out of my chair as the first blow came down with great impact on the poor leather victim. 
"Amber!" Michelle screamed and I laughed, running around the room as she chased after me. Suddenly, the clicking of open door sounded and both of us quieted down, straightening our suits. 
"Good morning, Ms. Amber and Ms. Michelle. We have got a special guest. He said he was a friend of yours from college" the female colleague smiled with a seductive glint in her eyes and both me and Michelle knew it was instantly. Our eyes met as we looked at each other across the room and I gulped. 
"Let him in. And Michelle, go and do your work. Don't come here until I call for you. This is your superior's order." I instructed as I hardened my eyes and heart. Michelle glanced at me with worry but proceeded to do what was ask. As she passed by the door, a small "Good morning Jong Up" came from her, and I knew she wanted to inform me of my special guest. But I didn't need any reminder. It was enough. 
A tall man with dark brown eyes and a business-like look came in and eyed the office. The moment it landed on me, I could felt the dropping of my heart. So it was true after all. 
"Please come in sir" my remaining colleague bowed so low that he could have seen her s, and there was no doubt that was her purpose. 
"Didn't you just hear what I said, Xian?" I said in a dark, low tone "Didn't I just told Michelle to go away? If my secretary is not here, you shouldn't be in here, do you understand?" I looked up and I could see her jolted in surprise. She must've been, to see the happy-go-lucky boss goes all strict. But she followed orders and scurried away, closing the door gently behind her. 
I glanced up at my guest, watching the way his pupils dilated and chuckled. "Dear guest, do take a seat before your eyes are gone from your sockets" I warned teasingly, with my chin resting on my clasped hands. 
"Amber...you've changed" Jong Up squeezed out at last as his eyes roamed my body. He must have been shocked to see his favorite tomboy turned into a proper lady. 
"Of course I have. It had been many years since then. Did you think I would always be that way? You must've forgotten what my family business is" I smiled professionally. 
Jong Up narrowed his eyes in pure disbelief until I snapped my finger right in front of him. "Amber...I...I'm here to tell you that Eunseo and I had broken up a year ago. And that I'm transferring to this company soon..." He explained his purpose as he sat down on the sofa in my office. 
I sat down opposite of him, calmly sipping at the cup of tea Michelle left behind. 
"And? Why are you telling me this? Does any of this concerns me?" I asked. 
He nodded "You told me long ago...when we broke up that if I ever hurt her, you wouldn't forgive me. I'm here to ask for your forgiveness before you become my boss."
I smirked and chuckled, making Jong Up looked at me with eyes that seems so opposite of what he was years ago.
"Technically, Jong Up, WE didn't break up. You were the one that proposed it and I only accepted it. And besides, I already knew you were dating her while you were dating me. Quiet cruel, wasn't you?" I crossed my leg and watched him carefully. 
His eyes widened "I didn't mean to two-time. It...It just happened!" He said, alarmed "I swear, Amber. I really didn't know I hurt your feeling so much! Only when the guys told me after you left the town that I broke your heart, I felt really guilty. And Eunseo broke it off with me because she was one of the causes for your sorrow! She couldn't handle the fact that her best friend didn't do everything with her anymore. So she left me. And that's when I realized...I could care less about her. Eunseo was my sun at the time we started dating, but then as reserved and quiet and nice as she was, I missed our rowdy hangout when WE were dating. I found out I didn't care about having a proper lady. I didn't care about hair length. I didn't care about styles. I didn't care about anything except for you" he looked me in the eyes, and I softened inside a little "But by then, it was too late. You were already gone and I didn't know where you were. I didn't know how to find you. But a miracle happened, and words got out that your family actually owned one of the biggest companies in the world. Everyone was shocked, and there were even some rumors about you getting marry to someone. I was so scared. I didn't know what to do if I lose you before I could even fight for you" he finished, his head down. He had more to say, I could sensed, but that was it, and I hid a small smile. 
"Jong Up, I'll be honest here." He raised his head slightly with hope "if you had said that to me five years ago, I would have been smitten. I would have follow you everywhere like a lovesick puppy, but now is not then anymore" his face fell "I'm at a place where I can decide for myself who to trust. I have learned enough from climbing up this ladder of society to know who will be my ally and who will be my enemy." I paused and be in a deep breath "I have decided to place you as my ally, but you will have to prove that to me and Michelle. You've been place back in square one, but I'm guessing you won't mind. Beside, Michelle played an important part here. "
"Michelle?" Jong Up asked, puzzled. 
I laughed "Yes, Michelle. She'll kill you if she know what you're here for. She had taken over the position of an overprotective sister and had done well so far. Chased away some of my suitors." 
"Oh" He muttered, dumbfounded "Well, what should I do first to earn your trust?"
I smiled evilly and stood up, ringing Michelle to come on in. When Michelle came in and saw that Jong Up was still there, she lurched right at him, growling as I watched in amusement. 
"Your first task is to convince Michelle to let you stay here. Tell the story however you want but be warn that you won't come out of here unscathed. If you want to leave, you're welcome to do so" I pointed at the door and slumped down into my seat. I knew his answer already though and motioned for the peeping toms outside the door to close it. 
Jong Up swallowed his nerve and began his extravagant tale, adding a few things here and there, but it was mostly the same. I saw Michelle's face twisted in annoyance and closed my eyes as she punished him for all the pain he had put me through throughout the years. 

 

*5 hours later*
Jong Up laid in his bed in the hotel, dead. Literally. I laughed and brought up the food to his kitchen and placed it there before going over to his bed and writing him a note. 
'You're an official member of my team now. Report to the company at 8 A.M. sharp tomorrow. All the things you need will be at the office and if you failed to be there on time, you're out of the race. P.S: You'll have to work very hard to solve the puzzle, Mr. Detective. And I suggested you stop lying to yourself. Remember, I've known you for years and can see through you'
I grinned and put the note on his nightstand, turned off the  lights and exited out of his room. 
It's going to be very fun from now on, I smirked devilishly. His life won't be easy.