Ever Since

Powers

Song: Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson 


Laughing and smiling were all I can remember from the past. It was a time when I didn't care about anything except for popularity.

At least, until I met her.

Amber Liu was a unique being who didn't care about anything that i care about. We were polar opposites, and just as expected, we attracted each other like magnet. From the first moment I laid eyes on her, I knew she was special. Amber was a tomboy who loves sports and music more than anything, and she don't mind having boys like me as friends. All the other girls I know have always wanted me for one thing: my money.

But Amber? Oh no, she was too cool for that. She knew my struggle, and the first time she smiled at me was when my life turned completely upside down. I began to question what I have already absorbed as basic knowledge. 

"All girls only want money and good-looking guys."

I mean, that was the reason why I had focused on my looks rather than my intelligence. I neglected the girls who had been my friends from the beginning and instead doubt our stable relationship. The ending? It crumbled.

However, Amber didn't try to approach me first. I was the one that came up to her and say hello. It was a very successful first impression...or at least, I would like to say so.

 

"Hey bro, what's up?" I asked as I walked up to her with a swagger grin. "New to this school, huh? And who's this pretty girl next to you? Your little girlfriend?" I winked at the girl with the typical blond hair and blue eyes. 

The guy next to her turned toward me and that was when I looked into the pair of mesmerizing eyes. It was bright and innocent, unlike what I expected for a guy my age to be like. 

"Hey Amber, I think he just barked up the wrong tree." the blond girl nudged her friend before whispering something into his ear and scurrying off, winking at me teasingly.

"Did she just say...Amber?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at the dude. "It's a pretty name for guy. Too pretty."

Chuckling, the guy took off his snapback and locks of beautiful dark brown hair fell down toward his shoulder. Jumping back in surprise at the sight, I looked down and for the first time, noticed the skirt that he....no, SHE, was wearing.

"You're a girl!" I squeaked like a little mouse and the girl, Amber, bursted into laughter.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious, playboy" she said with a cute smile. Wait...did I just called her cute? 

Stop it, Max Changmin! Stop your halluncination! You made a mistake, but that was stupid! 

"Oh god, what did I just do?" I groaned and slumped against the wall.

Amber kneeled down to my eye level and ruffled my hair like I was a little boy. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone your secret. After all, there isn't a better way to blackmail the school's Prince Charming, right?" she winked and I immediately knew I was in deep trouble.

I had let someone witnessed my most embarrassing moment.

 

 

 

"Hey oppa! What are you doing over there?! You're attracting too much attention!" 

Shaking my head, I pulled myself back to reality as I stared at the girl, no, woman, in front of me. It was unbelievable how much time has changed my girl bestfriend from high school. After graduation, I had to move away because of my dad's work, and despite me protesting against the unexpected change, Amber barely blink when she heard the news. She had smiled cheekily, gave me a hug, and said to me that if I didn't come back after college, she was going to hunt me down and make my life miserable.

So of course, being the smart gentleman that I am, I immediately moved back to town as the summer began. Calling up her old number, I was surprised to know that she never change it. Learning the reason why years later, I was embarrassed to not have known that then.

"Wow, Amber. You had changed so much!" I complimented her as my eyes unconsciously checked her out. Slapping myself, I could feel myself getting dizzy as my heart beated faster and faster against my chest. I knew I had a crush on her back then, but I got over her.

Or at least I thought I did.

"Oppa, what's wrong?" she asked, peering at my face closely "Are you okay?" 

Putting up a hand, I backed away "Too close for comfort, Amber. Too close." I shook her head "You're a woman now. Be more careful of men!" I warned her with a smirk. "Otherwise, they will take advantage of you!" 

Amber sighed with a contented smile. "Oh please, they wouldn't dare. I''m a famous Taekwondo champion after all." she grinned childishly at me.

"But they can still do this!" I chuckled, grabbing her arms and pinning her against the wall "In this case, you can't do anything." I smiled triumphantly.

"Oh my gosh, oppa, you're a babo." she said, before leaning in and kissing me deeply.

Releasing her arms in surpise, I stared at her, dumbfounded at what she just did. "Amber? Why did you do that?" my voice trailed higher and higher toward the top of the music bar.

"Because I like you" she tilted her head, and gave me an innocent smile "Now c'mon! You promised to go on a date with me!" she hooked her arm around mine and dragged me toward the cafe shop.

Who would have know, that ever since the first time, I had been a fool to not have see her for who she truly is.