Forgiveness

Powers

"No. I'm not letting you hurt me again, Jaejoong...ssi." I said, my voice as cold as ice as I gently peeled his hand off of my wrist. "I had given you a chance. I had fallen in love with you. And yet you had hurt me." I looked up, smiling sadly. "You know...as much as I would like to say that you deserve a second chance...both of us know the truth. We, especially I, don't think I can handle another heartbreak. Not from you anyway, Jaejoong-ah. I'm sorry." 

Disconnecting myself from him, I turned to look at him one last time before walking toward the direction of the airplane. Yes, I've given up on our love. I broke our promises of being together forever. But when the one I truly loved betrayed me, I deemed our love...

Unfaithful.

Yes, I'm better off without him.

Yes, I have a better chance of recovering and finding someone much better over there.

And yes, I know I could have forgive him, however, I don't think my heart can possibly handle me crying like a broken woman a third time. If only I have no reminder of him with me, it would be for the best. But there was no way I could do something so cruel to an innocent human that had yet been born. It was too late for him to be the good boyfriend that he had promised me to be, but it wasn't too late for me to start a new life with my baby.

 

 

 

*4 years later*

Landing back in Korea, I gently picked up my baby and wrapped him in a blanket. Cuddling him protectively, I followed the line of crowded passengers down toward the lobby.

"Hello, Korea. I'm back" I said nostalgically as I looked up toward the clear blue sky. It had been four years since I left this cursed country, and yet every single moment I was gone, I had missed it so. 

"Mommy, where are we?" he asked as he rubbed his eyes and struggled against me to get down. Giggling, I set my baby down and grabbed his little hand as we both walked toward our luggage pick-up area. He really does resemble his father, to the point that I had give up on forgetting the man who left me. 

"Well, honey, we're in Korea. Our family is waiting outside for us, so if we just get our suitcase, we can go home." I explained to him as I looked at the pick-up area "You know which one it is, right? Do you want to try to find it for mommy?" 

"Sure!" he said cheerfully and ran everywhere. A while later, I heard a loud cry that sounded eerily like his. Running toward the direction of the crying, I gasped in shock at the sight I saw. Standing in front of me holding my baby boy was him who should have been gone from my memory. Coincidence, I think not.

Marching up to the man, I smiled politely as I took my baby from his arms "Excuse me, sir, I'm sorry for disturbing you." was all I said before I turned around and walked back toward the opposite end of the room. Please don't recognize me, please don't recognize me, please don't recognize me.

Just as I was about to crossed through the threshold, he grabbed my arm and stopped me still.

"A...Amber?" he stuttered as he took one look at my face and knew. Glancing at the boy in my embrace, his eyes widened and he shook his head in disbelief. "Amber, don't tell me. Is he mine?" he questioned, and I looked up at his face to see the stern glare he had always given me before. Back when I was just the clingy girlfriend he abandoned.

"No, he is not, Jaejoong-ssi. He is mine and mine alone."

"But he looked exactly like me when I was little! And his age is around the time when we...broke up."'

"Jaejoong-ssi, I'm sorry but please don't go around claiming other people's children as yours. That is rubbish." I mocked him and shook his hand off me.

"A...Appa?" my baby boy wailed as he buried his face into my hair "Where is my appa?" 

Eyes softening at his outburst, I sighed and set him down. Kneeling down to his eye level and giving him a smile, I replied "Your appa is...gone, Hyun-ah. But he will always love you no matter what, so smile for umma, ne?" I asked, grinning.

Hyun nodded with a cute smile and wrapped his arms around my neck "Saranghae, umma!" he said loudly and clinged to me. I laughed before standing up with him in my arms again.

"Amber, you can't lie to me like that. If he's mine, then I'll take responsibility." 

"What responsibility, Jaejoong-ssi? You was never one to even utter that word. Now, why don't you bug off, and stop denying the truth. He is not your child." I said, "at least not anymore." 

Walking toward the door, I grabbed my luggage that I spotted and ran out of that room. I knew it. This place is a curse! To have met the one person I would rather die than meet first thing when I landed. 

But maybe it's better this way...maybe since he's here, he got himself a family. After all, I did just saw a woman I don't know called his name just as I came out of there. Yes...this is good. Now, I can really forget him. I may not forgive him, but maybe replacing my memories with him will help dissipated my hatred.

After all, Hyun was something that we had both agreed to name our firstborn with. It was an idea that soon bloomed into reality. But Hyun isn't his. He's mine, and there is nothing Jaejoong can do to take back the time that he had missed in both of our lives. Yes, I was the one who deliberately left when I knew I was with child, but that was not my fault.

 

Right?