The Redemption

Powers

It was simply a mistake, he had told her when he turned to walk away from her life, breaking her heart into a million pieces for the last time before she promised herself that she would never get hurt again. Even though it had been more than 10 years since she last saw him, she couldn't keep her promise to herself and before she knew it, she found herself falling into his trap once again.

 

It was simply because he was scared, he told her when he refused to accept her into his heart as his last love. All his life he had been the flamboyant playboy that had a different girl in his bed every night. And yet when he met her, his whole world went into a whirlwind and he couldn't find his way out of the maze that is her heart. He told himself over and over again that she wasn't the right one for him, and he left her world in order to save his own heart.

 

It was a selfish decision, however, when they both met each other again and decided to exact their plans in their own ways. She wanted to toy with his heart and then leave him like when he left her, and he wanted to redeem himself and see if she really is the one. But unbeknownst to them, fate has always been there, stringing them along with the promise of true love. Only...she now didn't believe in love anymore. And he didn't want to leave his bachelor lifestyle behind even as he found himself falling in love with her over and over again. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amber sighed in annoyance as she followed her best friend, Ailee, into the night club that she always called nutty. Amber couldn't understand the appeal in being in a place where she will be jam between large masses of people all looking for a one-night-stand, and yet the moment her eyes spotted his, she simply didn't want to believe in her good luck. It had been more than ten years since she last felt the spark inside her heart, and she wondered about the irony of the situation as she made her way toward the man that broke her heart without batting an eyelash a decade ago.

 

A woman had caught Sungjong's eyes, and she seemed to have know the effects she has on him as she made her way through the crowd smoothly, gliding along the mass with almost an air of poise. Sungjong couldn't hear the music. He couldn't feel the tug on his shirt by her. He couldn't even hear the teasing catcalls his friends were making. All that had occupied his mind was the woman in front of him. The familiar physique, the same smile, the same short-crop hair that she had always sported, and he felt himself took in a sharp intake of breath. Amber. 

 

She didn't know whether she should feel flatter or not when her name emerged from his lips. The priceless look of recognition on his face had brought her much joy, and yet nothing of that sort was reflected in her brown eyes. The easy-going air around her had changed into one of much caution from the terrible memories of him, and every time she closes her eyes, she could see the scenes play out in her mind like a haunting video of her mistakes. She didn't like this. He still has her guessing his thoughts, wondering what he was thinking of just like so long ago when he had her in the palm of his hand. She was his temporary toy, she reminded herself, he had played with her heart, stringing her along for the laugh at the end when he told her he never love her. He never thought of her, of their relationship as anything more than a game of monopoly, with her broken heart as a price. 

 

"Hello Sungjong."

 

Her voice, the same sound he had missed when he left her in his wake. The melodic vibrant sent a shudder through his spine as he looked down into her large, brown orbs and he found himself drawn back to the beginning of their relationship. He had been happy every moment he was beside her. He didn't find himself needing another girl to satisfy his wanting, and the thought scared him. Lee Sungjong was not a man who should be satisfy with only one girl, but she did exactly that to him. She made him think of nothing but her. She made him want to only be beside her and no one else. She made him jealous, an act that no girl before or after her had manage to accomplish. But when he finally realize that he love her, Lee Sungjong was too late.

 

"Hello Amber." 

 

The duplicate voice from her memories replied back and Amber bit her lips to kept herself from blurting out her true feelings. His voice used to have a calming effect on her, an effect that proved to be disastrous when it was no longer there to comfort her in her moment of pity. After all, the one who hurt her wasn't supposed to be the same one who comfort her.

 

"How have you been?" 

 

She don't care, Sungjong thought. He would have been so mad, so angry if the person in front of him had broken his heart and never apologize, but the Amber in front of him show no sign of anguish, of heartbreak, of...nothing. He could not read her like he used to do, and as though an invisible wall separated them, Sungjong found himself losing hope over redeeming his action from so long ago.

 

"I'm good. How about you?" 

 

Amber snickered silently, crushed over the fact that the man seemed perfectly fine to face the woman he deliberately bruised. She had hope that he would at least seem sorry, that he would at least look remorse, but his face was a mask of thoughts she could no longer recognize. She hates it, wondering if he had found the dream woman he used to tell her about. The woman who he feels like he could let his guard down around and she would not care. The woman who could read him like an open book.

 

"I'm glad to hear that. I see my friend over there...I'm just gonna go..." 

 

No! Sungjong reached out and grabbed her arms, preventing her from stepping any further away from him. No matter what, he couldn't lose this chance to tell her how he really feels. He was positive she no longer feel the same way, but the icy glare she shot him made his courage dissipated into thin air as his grip on her arm automatically loosen. Steeling his resolve, he pulled her toward him and frowned. If he was to allow her to get away from him one more time, Sungjong knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself.

 

"We need to talk."

 

"About what?"

 

"About us."

 

"Us...it's already gone. There is no us anymore, Sungjong." 

 

"Please Amber...give me a chance to explain!" 

 

Wringing her arm away from him, Amber turned around and started to walk toward the backdoor. She couldn't take this atmosphere anymore. She couldn't let herself be deceive more than she already was, and she simply could not let him convince her otherwise about anything. Amber Liu was not ready to give him a second chance.

 

But Lee Sungjong was never the weak-willed man everyone thought he was. As long as someone make him feel completed, he will not let that person go. Following Amber through the backdoor, he grabbed both of her shoulders and slammed her against the wall. He saw her wince in surprise, but now wasn't the time. Before he could talk himself out of it, Sungjong crushed his lips against her, shutting any remarks she had been planning on saying to him.

 

A sound slap resonated through the open air as Amber's palm came into contact with Sungjong's cheek. The impact from her hit threw him against the ground and Amber glared at him angrily, but the words that she wanted to say was choked in the back of as she tried to look through the blur of her tears. She didn't understand where they came from, but all the feelings from years ago came rushing back at her like an incoming waterfall. She did not know that even being near him could bring her so much pain. The coldness of her masquerade long gone as the two fated lovers stared at each other.

 

"Amber..." 

 

His voice echoed from his lips, but seeing the pained expression on her face made him wanted to go and hurt the guy who had inflict such a big emotional hole in her. But he couldn't. After all, he was the one who did that to the only woman who could ever make him feel whole.

 

"What have I ever done to you, Sungjong? What did I ever do to deserve this?!" 

 

The scream ripped from violently, her mind no longer controlling the adrenaline that pushed through her guarded heart. She didn't understand why the man did such a thing to her. So harmless, and yet it brought her so much torment, even though it only happened for the split of a second.

 

"You made me fell in love with you! You made me question myself, Amber. No one had ever done that to me before, and I was scared!" 

 

Both pair of eyes stared at each other in shock as Sungjong betrayed his deepest feelings in the heat of the moment. However, the man felt himself shrank back from the accusation of her eyes and he slowly got up. 

 

"Am..."

 

"How could you, Sungjong?! How could you made me hope for the impossible? You're not the type of man who want to settle down, so why are you making me feel as though  I could be the one to change you...?"

 

Her helpless voice ripped his heart open and before he knew what he was doing, Sungjong had engulfed the petite figure of Amber in his arms. She struggled to get out from the embrace, but he wouldn't let her. He will not let her go away again.

 

"Because I truly do love you, Amber. All of these years, I have never once forgotten you. You were the one who kept me awake at night. The one who occupied my mind 24/7. Do you know how much damage you did to me when you suddenly up and disappear from my life? I thought I would never see you again!" 

 

Amber felt her knees weakened but she used all her strength to push the man away. No, she didn't want to rely on him again. The pain from losing her heart had made her strengthened her resolve around men and become an independent woman. And yet, as she felt the warmth from his arms, she felt as though it was where she belong. 

 

"I don't you anymore, Sungjong. You hurt me. I won't forgive you..."

 

As the words trailed from her lips, the tears streaming from her eyes told of a different story as her whole body shook from the impact of her own harsh altercation. No, she couldn't lose him again...not when he had finally given his own heart to her. 

 

"Amber...I will die if I lose you again. You have no idea what you do to me..." 

 

And with that, Sungjong lifted her face and gently pressed his lips against her, enjoying the cherry taste that he had so desperately miss. Amber neither resist nor response, but she knew deep in her heart that he had convinced her to take him back once again. She knew it was an idiotic decision, but the woman also know that she truly did suffered whenever she woke up and relinquish the fact that she will never have him by her side. Her heart had ached. Her whole world fell. And yet here he was, giving himself a second chance back into her life through the memories of their past love, and Amber Liu could not resist the temptation.

 



A long chapter had finally come out from my writer's block. I hope that you are all enjoying the story I wrote, and I hope y'll will forgive me for being absent for so long. 

This story was meant to become a happy ending, and I guess it kind did, but I just wanted to say that even though there was no mention of a New Year in the story, Amber and Sungjong's relationship in this chapter reflect the fact that a new year give all of us a second chance to accomplish thing we never did in the past year. 

Overall, this chapter mark the end of the Infinite era, and up next is VIXX! After that, I would like to do Big Bang and then BTS if everyone don't mind. I know that most people requested BTS, but Big Bang has less members than BTS and I think I could get through them faster since there are a lot more inspirations for me out there. Meanwhile, I'll be searching up resources that will make me squeal and hope for the best that BTS and Amber will have some special moments together. 

Thank you for sticking with me this far, and I hope you will all continue to read my story with much enthusiasm! Comment below and tell me what you think about this particular one-shot. Did you like it? Did it make you cry? Did it make you dread that I will make this a sad ending? Let me know down below! Your comments truly make my days :)