To die or to kill

Another Day Comes

“Well, she killed someone”  the policeman looks from YongGuk to Seungho

“What?” Seungho frowns

“In self-defense” the first policeman adds in and smiles reassuringly “But don’t worry we have witnesses and even a video which shows that she didn’t have a choice but there are still some formalities which needs to be followed and until then she is a murder suspect”

At hearing this Seungho and YongGuk looks at each other with blank faces. YongGuk shakes his head and walks directly over to Alex dropping down in front of her. He tries catching her eyes but she keeps them closed and instead he takes her hands and just holds them starring at the bandage on her hand.

Seungho steps closer to the policemen “She… I’m sorry I’m having a bit problem with understanding this. Alex killed someone?”

“Yeah. Did society a favor if you ask me” One of the men says “He was a nasty guy, he had been arrested for violence and several times”

“Alex, remember you can’t go anywhere without being escorted by a policeman. If you don’t follow the rules we have set you will have to go to jail until the matter has been settled” the other man says. YongGuk feels his eyes becoming watery “Jail?” he mutter in such a low voice only Alex hears him and she opens her eyes just a little and meets his gaze.

Her eyes become watery the second she sees how hurt he is and they just look at each other as if nothing else exists in the world.

“What happened?” Seungho asks the two police men

“We really shouldn’t say” one says.

Seungho feels himself getting agitated he crosses his arms “Would you please tell me. Alex is like a sister to me. I should know!”

“Oh so you are the guy” One of the men smiles “You were the one who found her when she ran off”

Seungho frowns “How do you know about that?”

“We had to do a background check” one of the policemen says “It was not easy and Alex wasn’t much for telling us anything but she did after making a call”

“Because of the show about her dying she had some extra explaining to do” the other adds in

The first one looks at Alex “If it gets out who she is I think she can expect quite a lot of attention from the media”

Seungho scratches his neck “That’s not good” he mumbles and shakes his head

YongGuk is wiping a tear away from Alex’s cheek and she smiles a little strained just happy that he is there.

“Well we gotta go” the police man smiles at Alex who looks at them weakly and nods.

Seungho sighs “You can’t tell us what happened?”

The two men look at each other and then Seungho “The guy was causing trouble and Alex stepped in. As far as the witness accounts says she never did anything other than try to calm him down. He had apparently heard of her and he said he was gonna kill her and prove she wasn’t that great. Now we aren’t really sure what that is all about but it doesn’t really matter to the case. It got to a fight and as you can see he didn’t go easy on her and then he got hold of a knife. We are still trying to figure out where he got it. We have confirmed he was high at the time and we know he was close to hurting a lot of innocent people. He seemed to forget about Alex when other people started to scream and he just kind of lashed out with the knife in all directions. Alex…” he looks at her “He actually stabbed a guy in the arm when Alex stepped back in. The cut on her hand is from when she grasped on to the knife itself when she tried to get it away from him. There was a struggle and suddenly he fell to the ground. She hit an artery in his neck with the knife. He was trying to strangle her, holding her up against the wall over the ground and no one did anything because they were too scared of him so she had to save herself and she did”

Seungho swallows and stares at Alex who once again closes her eyes. YongGuk stands up on his knees and wraps his arms around her. He has his eyes closed as well and is frowning into her hair.

“We really have to go now” the police man looks at the time “I’m gonna repeat that maybe you should stay away but…” he looks at Alex and YongGuk “She might need you. But lay low alright. For your own sakes. We’ll let the officer outside know you two have permission to be here”

“Thanks” Seungho says as he moves to Alex’s side.

The two policemen leave.

When the door closes behind them Alex gently pushes YongGuk away from her. He reluctantly moves back sitting on his legs. She frowns and keeps her eyes closed “Sorry”

Seungho rubs her back “It wasn’t your fault. For once” he tries to smile but there really isn’t anything to smile about.

“I…” Alex looks at the two people who mean the most to her in the entire world. She knows that just before the guy tried to strangle her she had backed down. Not as in trying to get out of the fight but as in giving him an opportunity to do what he intended. She heard herself asking him to kill her. It was her voice and speaking the words but they seem foreign to her. She didn’t want to die but her body acted on its own. It wasn’t until he was strangling her and she felt how difficult it was to breathe that she got the knife and stabbed him. Her ghost tried to get her killed

She shakes her head and looks down trying not to accept that her ghost is getting that strong that it can just take over like that.

“Alex?” Seungho mumbles trying to make her speak her mind.

She holds on to her head “I have to move”. *If she can do that… My friends might get harmed* She stands up “I’m gonna go back where I came from”

YongGuk is feeling his heart break “You can’t leave”

Seungho shakes his head “I agree with YongGuk”

“Didn’t you just hear him?! I killed a guy!” Alex raises her voice “No way your managers will let you anywhere near me. I can’t blame them. I’m amazed I was allowed to be around you and the others in the first place” She gets up and walks towards her bedroom.

She turns and looks at YongGuk who’s head is hanging low “I-I’m sorry. You should move on” She looks at Seungho “Sorry Ani” She steps back “Just… please leave me now” She closes the door behind her.

YongGuk runs over and tries to open it but she has locked it from the other side “Alex!... ALEX!” He yells banging on the door. Seungho hides his face in his hands.