Of Sunrise and Symbols

Aish! That Jung Daehyun!

 

“Seriously turtle, where are you taking me?” I insisted, smiling as Daehyun chuckled and shook his head.

 

“You’re one impatient puppy, aren’t you?” Daehyun asked curiously as I punched him on the shoulder.

 

I could’ve punched his face, but I was merciful enough not to.

 

“YAH! At least I’m not a jealous turtle-“

 

“We’re here!” Daehyun interrupted my complaint, grinning like an idiot before putting me down on the ground gently. I scoffed and rolled my eyes at the turtle.

 

I turned my back on him and my jaw dropped.

 

I didn’t bother looking at my surroundings, because I already have a pretty good view (cough Daehyun) so I wasn’t that amazed before. But now, when he put me down, I finally had the chance to appreciate nature.

 

We were just a little away from the camp, in front of a rushing stream. In front of the stream was a bench. Yes, a bench. As if someone knew two people will be sitting here and admiring the view.

 

And it’s not just the view I admired.

 

I didn’t even notice how much time has passed until I looked over the horizon.

 

I and Daehyun were watching the sunrise.

 

And I have only one word to describe.

 

“This is… beautiful Daehyun, how did you discover this place?” I asked in wonder as I hobbled over to the bench and sat down, looking around in awe. A squirrel passed by, and I almost jumped on Daehyun who was sitting beside me now.

 

Daehyun coughed uncomfortably and leaned on the bench lazily, focusing his eyes on the sunrise.

 

“I and Lime…we were walking and then we found this spot,” Daehyun glanced hastily to me before adding, “And then we were talking about our idol lives, how we could just go back to our families, how we could just…run away together,” Daehyun ended rapidly, casting a worried glance at me.

 

I sighed and played with my fingers, not looking at him.

 

“Look, if you’re tired with me-“ before I could even finish my sentence, my lips were sealed with Daehyun. I pulled away gently, staring at him with a poker face on.

 

“I will never get tired of you, Namjoo. That’s impossible,” Daehyun said sternly, cupping my cheek with his right hand and staring into my eyes deeply.

 

“But, you guys talked about how you two could run away together. You can’t say that it didn’t make you doubt your career now,” I retorted calmly, hoping he wouldn’t detect the sadness in my voice.

 

He didn’t.

 

“Namjoo…I always doubt my career. I miss my mom and dad, I want to go back to my old life, and I want to be a normal guy again. But,” Daehyun emphasized when he saw me open my mouth,

 

“When I see Yongguk hyung, Himchan hyung, Youngjae, Zelo or Jongup, I stop doubting my career. We’re all in this together,” Daehyun explained softly.

 

“Wow, wait to go make this ‘High School Musical’” I responded sarcastically, rolling my eyes and huffing. Daehyun grinned leaned down to kiss my cheek. He wrapped his arms around me as I laid my head on his shoulder.

 

“Then will you be my Gabriella Montez?” Daehyun joked, using his free hand to tickle my sides. I chuckled and bit my lip.

 

“Only if you be my Troy Bolton,” I retorted happily.

 

“No problem jagiya,” Daehyun replied in a contented tone. I blushed as I felt his head on top of mine.

 

“So, tell me more about Lime,” I prompted, lifting my head up his shoulder and smiling cheekily at him. Daehyun rolled his eyes and tried to stand up but I pushed him back down.

 

“Why do you want to know?” Daehyun complained as I shrugged, not really giving him a straight answer.

 

My secret plan was to make him guilty of what he did with that fruit.

 

Yes, I know, I’m cruel.

 

“Fine, she’s beautiful, she’s amazing in singing, she’s an amazing dancer, she has a bright personality, and overall, she’s tall and she has a girlish voice.” Daehyun looked at me defiantly, a frown placed on his lips.

 

He practically listed all the qualities I lacked.

 

“Oh really?” I asked timidly, swallowing hard.

 

“Yeah, and she has this awesome smile that could make me melt. Her laugh is just…sweet music to my ears,” Daehyun sighed contentedly as I scowled at him.

 

Okay, unfortunately, my plan wasn’t working. It’s literally backfiring now.

 

“Don’t get me started on Lime’s gorgeous brown eyes,”

 

“I haven’t told you about the kiss between me and L,” I interrupted, smiling casually. Daehyun’s smile vanished and replaced with a glare.

 

Wow, fast reflexes.

 

“Even though we were just acting, the kiss was…magical. He’s a really good actor, but I think he has some feelings for me,” I giggled and smiled as a vein throbbed on Daehyun’s right temple.

 

“I think I should give him my number-“

 

“Namjoo, the only number you’ll give him is mine so that I could call him to stay away from my girl,” Daehyun growled, his eyes flashing madly. I chuckled and patted his head.

 

“Now you know how I feel when you mention Lime,” I concluded, smirking. Daehyun’s glare was replaced with a confused expression.

 

“You were just…acting?”

 

“Maybe,” I retorted mysteriously, Daehyun back to glaring.

 

“Dude, I was acting! Sheesh, the kiss was awkward to say the least.” I shivered to emphasize my point. Daehyun smiled slowly and nodded as I leaned in and kissed his cheek.

 

“Look at the sun,” I commented, pointing at the horizon excitedly.

 

“Do you want me to go blind? Heck no!” Daehyun exclaimed, scandalized. I rolled my eyes and punched his shoulder.

 

“I didn’t mean it literally!”

 

“Oh, I’m sure there’s a figure of speech equivalent to what you said,” Daehyun muttered, rolling his eyes. Instead of killing him for saying that, I smiled.

 

We were back to normal.

 

~.~

 

“EVERYONE, LISTEN UP!”

 

“Ugh, stop shouting!” Himchan yelled at L.Joe who was up on the stage. A few people laughed as L.Joe chuckled in his microphone.

 

Yes, we all gathered again around the stage to hear today’s activity. My foot was getting better, and my walk looked slightly normal now than the weird hobbling I did before.

 

“Guess what we’re doing today?” L.Joe asked the crowd.

 

“WHAT?!” The crowd asked back.

 

“Hiking!” L.Joe responded with such enthusiasm that the crowd cheered happily alongside him. Jongup and Zelo were especially happy. Himchan and Yongguk went green, probably thinking about how their joints will react to hours of hiking through the woods.

 

“Aish, and I thought I could finish ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ today,” Youngjae muttered angrily, kicking a pebble. I rolled my eyes

 

Youngjae and his books.

 

“For the partners, the guards will give you a paper with a symbol on it. You have to find the person with corresponding symbol to yours. Example, if I had a picture of a boy, I’ll have to find someone with a picture of a girl,” L.Joe explained as we all nodded and chatted happily.

 

They handed me a paper and I saw that my symbol was a three-headed dog, and on the bottom was the name ‘Cerberus’.

 

“Oh gosh,” I whined as I realized who was my partner.

 

“What did you get jagiya?” Daehyun asked cheerfully, looking at my paper.

 

“A three-headed dog? Wow, three faces that resemble Himchan’s, that’s a nightmare.” Daehyun shivered as Himchan glared at him.

 

“A nightmare yes, but my partner’s even worse,” I mumbled darkly as Daehyun gave me a quick peck on the lips before finding his partner.


Thank you so much for still reading :)