Their Past II

Action, Handcuffs...& Love?

Sandara Park fell more and more in love with Kwon Jiyong with every passing day.

She found out that his full name was Kwon Jiyong, that he loved music and was very well talented in it. He hadn't dated before because he said he was waiting for the special one.

Dara hoped she'd be the one, but what are the odds?

She hadn't even talked to Jiyong before and only watched him from afar, crushing, falling, deeper and deeper. She'd hide her face everytime he walked past, afraid, scared.

The seniors had a few more days of school before the graduation ceremony, and after which their holidays would begin. Then came the playing and enjoying themselves part where all the seniors looked forward to. The boys had a few months until their enlistment into the army and they were welcomed anytime to visit the school as alumis and use the school facilities.

Dara fervently hoped that Jiyong would be one of those few who would do so.

She contemplated on whether to tell Sohee about her crush but decided against it.

*She'd laugh at me for liking someone so unattainable.* she thought. *I better not.* she told herself.

Perhaps if she told Sohee, things would be different. But knowing Sohee, that's really hard to say.

 

 

Then came one day when Sohee finally didn't go out with her other popular friends because they all had something to do with their boyfriends and families. Which was why she turned to her backup friend: Sandara Park.

Sohee looked at Dara as she put on nail polish on her dainty fingers. She pouted lightly, a cute expression. "I want a boyfriend too, Dara."

Dara looked over at Sohee. Why would she be bothered about something like that? She could have any boy she wanted. Any.

"You fancy anyone?" Dara asked, thinking about Jiyong and biting back a smile. Thinking about him gave her tingles.

Sohee brightened and crept over to Dara. She looked around the dorm even though they were the only two around, since Sohee wouldn't want to be caught with Dara. "Yes I do." she whispered. "Don't tell anyone alright?"

Dara nodded enthusiastically. "Who is it?" she asked, curious. Was that guy anything near as wonderful as Jiyong? NAh. Impossible.

Sohee let out a giggle and leaned closer. "I think I've fallen for Kwon Jiyong."

 

 

Dara didn't even have time to digest the information. That her best and only friend was in love with the same guy she was. That perhaps her little crush would forever be unknown to the world, even her best friend.

The very next day on the senior's graduation night, Sohee confessed with a love letter and Jiyong accepted.

But unexpectedly, Jiyong talked to Dara as well. He seemed fine with her, didn't think she was a disgrace to be with. But deep inside, Dara knew that he only paid her the attention because she was Sohee's friend.

That's all everyone would know about her. Sohee's friend. Sohee's follower. The girl hiding in Sohee's shadow. She really wished she'd be known as Sandara Park instead.

But no matter, because now Jiyong and her were at least friends.

They had a lot of common interests, a lot of things to talk about all the time. It was like they knew each other even before they met, and were just waiting for fate to throw them together. They had so many things to say every time they saw each other, and even Sohee would be left out of the conversations sometimes because she couldn't catch what it was about.

Dara fell in love with Jiyong more and more with every passing day. He was quirky, he was fun. He teased, he laughed, he was completely charming.

He didn't mind talking to her. He didn't mind walking beside her even though none of the other boys in school would be caught dead doing that. He didn't even mind going back to school sometimes to coach Dara on studying even when Sohee wasn't around.

It seemed Jiyong had developed a little friendship with Dara and Dara loved that. She treasured every second with all her heart. She was falling in love deeper and deeper with him and she could find no resistance to it.

Then the good things came to an end. Jiyong had to go to the army and the girls sent him off together with his family. Dara turned away as Jiyong gave Sohee a lengthy kiss, trying to focus on the other things in her life but only managed to repeat "do not cry" in her mind for thousands of times.

Dara missed Jiyong when he wasn't around, but it wasn't that bad.

But not to Sohee.

Sohee began complaining how little time she was spending with her boyfriend even though Jiyong would always come to see her the first thing after he visited his parents when they had a day off from army.

Dara didn't see why Sohee was complaining. If she had been Sohee, she'd be the happiest girl alive.

So what if he didn't spend time with her anymore because he was in the army? At least he called every single night before bed to say good night.

So what if she could see the other girls going out with their boyfriends and she'd be alone? She had the most perfect boyfriend in the world.

Dara really didn't understand Sohee's complaints, but she did understand her displeasure when she found out that Sohee was meeting more and more guys than usual.

There was Wooyoung from the next class. Taecyeon from the Math Lecture. JunHo from the Track and Field team.

Dara didn't even know where Sohee got to meet all these guys and the next moment they were hanging out. There were so many guys in Sohee's life all of a sudden, coming and going. It was like a sushi train that came and went, never ending. It was the same for those guys and Dara could never keep track how many Sohee had.

They were close friends. Too close. So close that Dara could hardly believe the relationship was platonic.

"Sohee ah, I don't think you should be meeting up with those guys when Jiyong's in the army." dara frowned. "He won't be happy if he knows."

Sohee shot Dara a look as she applied her lip gloss. "Don't be silly. Jiyong isn't going to know right?" she snorted. "What he doens't know won't hurt him." she narrowed her eyes at Dara. "And don't you dare tell him either."

 

 

And so Dara naively believed Sohee that she was just pure friends with those guys. Until she caught Sohee kissing Seulong on the day Jiyong was supposed to be discharged from his army duties.

Dara immediately yanked Sohee away, ignored the protests, ignored the attention, ignored the screaming from about. She pulled Sohee to a quiet corner in the school and shoved Sohee to the wall. "what was that?" she demanded.

Sohee glared back. "What was what?" she snorted. She glared at Dara. "What were you doing? You could have let me have time to say goodbye before we're off to see Jiyong oppa."

Dara wanted to puke. See Jiyong after hugging and kissing another guy?

"You're cheating on him!" Dara hollered. "You're despicable!"

Sohee opened to say something when she had an interested look on her face. She looked at Dara and snickered. "Oh I see." she smirked. "Someone has a crush on my boyfriend."

Dara stilled. Damn. She shouldn't have gotten so agitated in front of Sohee. The mild and meek kitten finally transformed into a tigress.

"But too bad isn't it?" Sohee crossed her arms and circled Dara. "He's not going to believe it because he loves me too much. Hear that? He loves me. He's my boyfriend."

Dara felt her blood rushing to her head. "But you dont' deserve him!" she screamed. "I want you to break up with Jiyong as soon as he comes back. You're not worthy of him at all! He deserves someone better, someone perfect. Defintely not someone like you!"

Dara was surprised to see Sohee crumpling to the ground and letting out a feminine sob. She expected her to retaliate, to shout back and cuss.

Until she felt a hand on her shoulder that spun her around. Before she could look to see how it was, a palm came into contact with her face and the slap resonated loudly. She held onto her cheek in shock and gaped.

It was Jiyong.

"How dare you say such things to Sohee." Jiyong growled dangerously. Dara's breathing quickened. He heard? "Wait Jiyong-"

Jiyong ignored her and went over to Sohee, picking her up. He wiped her tears away tenderly, his attitude a whole lot different from how he treated Dara. "Don't listen to her, Sohee." he cooed. "You're good enough for me. It's me that's not good enough for you."

Sohee shook her head. "I think Dara is right. I'm not good for you." she sniffled. "Let's break up Jiyong."

With that, she ran away before Jiyong could grab on to her. Dara suspected that she just used the chance to break up when Sohee had been wanting to do so for a long time.

Jiyong whipped around and glared at Dara, who was facing him with her tear stained face. "Jiyong, you don't understand-" she whimpered.

"ENOUGH!" Jiyong growled. "I know what I heard. You're the spawn of the devil. I never want to see you for the rest of my life!"

 

 

"And that was it." Dara finished.

The girls stared in shock. Something so big happened to their Ssantoki before?

"I can't believe..." Minzy whispered. "That's so traumatizing."

Dara sighed. "It's over now." she told them. "I'm over it."

Bom frowned. "Are you sure? Because you still aren't dating other guys. Is it because you still like Jiyong?" she questioned suspiciously.

Dara her lips. "No." she murmured. "I don't think so. It's been four years. I think I got over him already." she shrugged. "Everything's fine now."

"But why didn't you tell him what actually happened?" Minzy asked. "If he didn't listen, write him a letter or something. Explain what Sohee did."

"I did." Dara nodded. "I wrote a letter but I didn't give him to him. I threw it away."

"Why?" The girls frowned.

"Because I don't want to burden him with the knowledge that his girlfriend cheated on him." Dara muttered. "It's better to think the one that betrayed you was some unimportant friend instead of the love of his life you know?"

CL flinched. How can someone love so whole heartedly, so selflessly?

"You loved him so much, Dara." CL looked at her. "Are you sure it's okay now that you two are pretending to be a couple? You made that sacrifice for him."

Dara took a few moments to answer. She swallowed hard. That wasn't the only sacrifice she made back then, but she wasn't about to tell the girls that. One story per night was enough.

She took a deep breath and looked right in CL's eyes. "Yes I'm sure." she said firmly. "I'm never going back again."