...99

The Last Single Girl

Sometimes, the universe gives you one heck of a good time, grab the chance and enjoy every bit of it, for you never know when it’ll come to you again.

It’s been three days and I’m still having a hard time adjusting my body clock, which is not the case when I moved to Chicago. The kids however, are past it. Ethan slept so well last night, his mood is bright and light early in the morning. As a matter of fact, he was the one who woke me up by showering me with kisses until I open my eyes. Emma on the other hand, seemed to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, her brother and I was alarmed hearing her loud cries.

With a strong feeling that I’ll get a worse headache within the day, I forced myself out of bed the moment my daughter cried louder. I tailed Ethan to his sister’s room, wishing for the crying to stop the moment we get to her. I must say, this isn’t the first time this happened, but with my current condition, I don’t know if I can keep up with it.

“Stop now Emma” If there’s one thing that never fails to melt my heart, it’s seeing my kids care for each other, “I’m here now” Ethan continued consoling his sister who is actually trembling – this is a first.

In all my years being a Mother, crying and meltdowns are what I hate the most. Thing is, it’s inevitable. There are even times when they will start crying just for the heck of it. Sometimes they will act up in the middle of a good stroll in the mall, and next thing you know it, you’re heading home already just to not get embarrassed in public. I must admit, there are times when I get frustrated of these actions, but like any Mother out there, I have to be patient and just hope that the act will stop soon. After all, I’m going to miss it once they are old enough to keep their emotions to themselves.

Mom Areumie Tip: Wait until your child stops crying before asking him/her what’s up. This way, they can calmly answer your questions and share what’s on their mind. After hearing everything, that’s when you console and enlighten them.

Ten minutes in and Emma is still crying but not as loud and hard anymore. I have a feeling that she might have a nightmare. Back in Chicago, I can somehow prevent their nightmares by waking them up before it escalates. It’s easy to tell by their tossing and turning in bed, and the sound they’re making. I feel bad one way or another because I wasn’t able to prevent my little girl’s nightmare now that she’s in a different room.

“Drink water first” At last, Emma calmed down. After giving her a glass of water, I sit her on my lap and hugged her tightly. With her looking straight at me, “Mind telling Mom what happened?” I asked softly. In between hiccups she nodded her head, “Aunt Lena is chasing me Mom. She got fangs like the vampires Ethan used to watch on TV!” her storytelling is too cute, “She’s got claws that are so sharp, it can rip you into pieces!”

Seriously, I don’t know whether to laugh or be concerned. I cannot help but imagine it. It seems like my daughter is really not good with her ‘Step-Mother’, that she even haunts her in her sleep.

So into her story, Emma stands on the bed and animatedly re-enacted her dream. “She keeps chasing me, EVERYWHERE I GO!” she jogged in place “And then…” her eyes bounced from me to her brother, as if making sure that our interest is on her, “SHE ROARED LIKE A LION!” she mimicked, roaring with her cute small voice “I was so scared… that all I did is run” so she jogged in place again, “I’m calling out for Mom and Daddy…” then her face turned sad, “…but they’re not there”

This dream is intense. I feel bad for not rescuing her in it.

Emma is so pumped up in telling everything, while Ethan is starting to shrink beside me in fear. I’m claiming it this early, this day is going to be something.

Our unit is filled with laughter again afterwards. With the kids playing in the living room, I prepared breakfast, and we all agreed to pancakes and bacon – a staple back in our old house.

“Who wants fresh squeezed orange juice?” I called out.

Omma and Dami Unnie filled our fruit bowl with different fruits to the brim. I think they brought the whole aisle of fruits in the grocery store. It’s going to be such a waste if the fruits rot which I think will happen if we consume it little by little. I am going to think of creative ways to use each of them. For the meantime, I’ll juice up oranges.

“Oh gosh…” Just by looking at how packed our fridge and pantry is, my head is already spinning. There are only three of us but the amount of food we have can feed a party of fifty and even more. With me being the only adult, it’s going to be challenging to finish everything before everything expires.

“Ack!” Emma pushed the glass of juice far away from her “Mom…” she called, and I looked at her with a smile on my face, “The orange juice we used to buy in Costco is better than this” she said in a whisper and I cracked up in laughter.

“Nope!” Ethan just took a sip and it seems like he doesn’t want it as well.

I wonder what’s wrong. These kids love fruit juices but they normally drink ready-made ones. Honestly, I really think there’s not much difference from my home-made juice.

“It tastes so…” Ethan cannot get over it even when we’re almost done with breakfast, “Healthy” he looked satisfied finding a word that fits what he wanted to say.

Oh the things they learn from me and Aden. I remember when he was still alive, he will always slam me whenever I try to ‘Go Healthy’ by saying “You know, stop fooling yourself and the universe with every bit of that salad”. The kids always hear it from him and now, they are slamming me the same way he does. How I miss him.

“Is Daddy going to visit us today, Mom?” Ethan asked while chomping down the last piece of bacon.

I shrugged, “Not sure. Last night he told me he’s going to work long hours today, but…what do we know…maybe he’ll drop by even for a while”

Jiyong is going to be in rehearsals for the whole day today. Big bang’s comeback is just around the corner and just like the millions of VIPs in the world, I cannot wait for it! I heard the boys are going to gift everyone music and performances like never before. Jiyong is actually so secretive of it, he didn’t let me hear at least one of their new songs when I usually does before.

My kids are not as active as they were after knowing that they might not see their Daddy today. They spent the whole morning in Ethan’s room, making a mess by finger painting. Don’t worry, I made sure that the paint they’re using are non-toxic, and I covered the floor in plastic beforehand because I’m sure there will be splatters and spills of paint everywhere.

“Unnie!”

We have an unexpected visitor in the name of Dami. Last night, Jiyong and I video called her to say hi and see what she’s up to, and she promised to visit the kids to  bond more with them. I didn’t think that she’ll come today because as far as I know, she has an appointment with some stylists this afternoon or maybe it was moved or cancelled.

Cheerful and energetic as ever, “Your favorite person in the whole wide world is here, children!” she shouted. As if on cue, Ethan and Emma came running to her, still wearing their aprons that are stained with paint and their hands dirty with different touches of colors.

“Aigoo…” Unnie doesn’t mind the mess. She’s got paint all over her designer dress, that I’m the one grieving for it. “Why do I feel like you’ve grown taller since I last saw you?” she is hugging them both so tightly.

The two giggled “I only look tall because of my hair” Emma showed her hair that I tied up in a high bun that looks like a medium sized onion on top of her head.

“It must be the lettuce that Daddy forced us to eat last night” Ethan followed, sounding really convincing.

Thank you to Unnie, the kids’ spirit is high once again. They almost fought because they don’t want to share their Auntie to each other. Ethan is tugging her to his room, while Emma is tugging her to hers. It was chaos for a minute or two with none of them backing out.

“Alright!” I’ve had enough of it. I need to do something.

The three looked at me. From the look of it, I can tell that Unnie is enjoying this. “Why don’t we let Auntie Dami choose where she wants to go first” this might not end up good with one kid sulking for not being picked, but I cannot think of any other way to end this.

“Yah!” Unnie lightly slapped my arm, “Why do I have to choose?”

I chuckled, “Unnie…unless you can split your body in half…you got no choice but to pick one”

This is fun! I bet Dami Unnie is not expecting that having a niece and a nephew is going to be tough. I’m telling you, they don’t give way easily.

After what feels like forever, “I won’t go anywhere but here” Unnie finally made a decision and plopped herself on the couch “After all…I designed your rooms with your Daddy. I know everything that’s in there”

As expected, she’s half of the wonder team who did the kids’ room. The kwon siblings really have creative blood running in their veins. I wish my kids inherit it.

The kids looked disappointed but instead of making a fuss, they just brought out Jenga blocks in the living room and the four of us played like we’re in the Olympics.

“Woohoo!’ Unnie celebrated after winning third time in a row. She is really good at this. In my case, I , Ethan is even better than me.

By lunch, we decided to have food delivery instead of cooking. If you’re going to ask me, I would rather cook just to use our stock of food and somehow put a dent on it. Well, having food delivery is all good too because I’m able to eat my favorites from one of my favorite restaurants. We nearly ordered everything on their menu.

“Lettuce again!” Emma is in disbelief.

Last night, Jiyong and I introduced them to an authentic Korean meal complete with side dishes and barley tea. Believe it or not, we cooked at least three main dishes and even made sugar coated peanuts from scratch (thanks to the internet, we were able to get by). Our kids, though used to eating vegetables, just cannot get over the fact that most dishes have them. They even asked if we’re turning them into vegetarians, that made their Father and I laugh so hard.

“This is a pickled radish” Unnie picked up a piece using her chopsticks and showed it closely to the kids “We call this…Dan…mu…ji”

“It’s delicious!” I told them then grabbed a piece for myself.

As expected, the two tried it and made us laugh with their sour faces.

“Egg rolls are better” Emma keeps on saying but keeps on eating Danmuji.

Yes, egg rolls. She ate plates of it last night, it’s insane! Jiyong even has to make another batch for us because we were only able to get a piece each.

“Can you still remember what those egg rolls are called?” I quizzed them.

One of the best ways to teach children another language is to incorporate everything including food to the lessons. So far, Ethan is getting a grip of it, while Emma is taking her time even when I know that she got all of it stored in her mind, she’s just not as focused as her brother.

Cutely, my lovely daughter tapped her temple, pretending to think deep making Dami Unnie laugh. “Gae…I coached then she snapped her cute little fingers but didn’t make a sound, “Gaeran Mari!” she answered in glee and we clapped like seals in celebration.

“Aigoo…” Unnie ruffled her niece’s hair “You guys are learning well”. Her compliment made me feel proud. Jiyong and I are working hard on it, though we can only do enough, at least in one way or another they know a few things already.

Our meal ended with more laughter as Dami Unnie teased the kids of gluten-free cupcakes. We all know how healthy she eats. She’s the one feeding Ethan before when he was still a year old of everything organic. I will never forget the taste of the all-natural baby snacks she used to buy for him. I’m telling you, they taste nothing I can compare to.

Mid-afternoon, after Unnie left, the kids asked me to bring them to the park, which I agreed to right away so that they can release their excess energy and to also breathe some fresh air. Being in the park makes them feel at home just like Chicago. Back then, they can go to the park by themselves and play for an hour with their friends. Now, they always have me around and instead of playing with other kids, they prefer to play amongst themselves only. I know they will get a hang of it sooner or later.

Night came and Jiyong hasn’t even called to check on us. Maybe he’s really so busy to spare a minute or two. I don’t mind anyway, since I’m used to it, and I explained to the kids that there will be times when they won’t be seeing much of their Daddy.

“Daddy’s here!”

The moment we heard him, we rushed out of my room to the living room where he is waiting with paper bags in hand.

“Heeyy” Jiyong welcomed the kids with open arms. He hugged them tightly like he’s hugging life sized teddy bears. Our mood instantly changed now that he’s here.

“Hey” he walked to me, smiling brightly “I’m here” his voice is too sweet for my soul.

Happy and glad, “It’s so good to see you” I said and gave him a tight hug.

His smell alone can perk up my spirit. I love seeing him every day. I really cannot believe how I lasted three years without him around.

“I have gifts!” he cheerfully showed the kids the paper bags he’s holding and instead of sitting on the couch, the three slumped on the carpet.

“WOW!”

“YES!”

Turns out, the Big Bang boys bought Emma hair bows and a do-it yourself jewelry bead kit, so big, I think she will be making accessories out of it till she’s a teenager. And for Ethan, they bought a cool-looking light up watch matched with led lighted t-shirts that personally, I’m afraid to make him use it because, well, we’re dealing with itty-bitty bulbs and short wires here.

Leaving the kids on the floor with their gifts, Jiyong joined me in the kitchen where I’m preparing food for him. If we only know he’s coming, we should’ve waited to eat dinner with him.

“I thought you’re packed for the day” I said, while scooping a bowl of rice for him.

He plopped himself on the chair in the dining table, and with a sigh, “We wrapped up early because the boys have other schedules” he answered.

Oh yeah! Daesung and Youngbae started appearing on variety shows once again. I heard they are going to be the newest additions to Stage-K, while the rest of the boys are focused on their comeback.

As a matter of fact, Jiyong is being asked to be a mentor in a survival show, as well as be a judge for the K-popstar as YG Sajangnim’s replacement. Sadly, he turned them all down, for he doesn’t think he is fitting for the job. Also, there are drama series offers for him too, which will take good convincing for him to even consider.

“Ack! What’s this?”

Well, I gave him a glass of the orange juice I made this morning. There’s still a full pitcher in the fridge. I was thinking maybe he will love it, but it seems that just like our kids, he’s not into it as well.

Snatching the glass from him, “I squeezed some oranges this morning. I thought they’re good”

He laughed hard, “It tastes crazy”

I roll my eyes at him, “I guess this will go down the drain now”

Smoothly, he grabbed me by the waist and sit me on his lap, “Yah! Are you offended?”

I shake my head, “No” I faked a smile and was about to get up when he get the glass from me, “Don’t tell me you’re going to drink it”

With a wink, “Bottoms up!” he emptied the glass and almost puked after.

“You’re the one who’s crazy not the juice” I told him while laughing.

With the four of us complete, I can proudly say that this day turned out really well.

After eating dinner, Jiyong finally decided to wire the kids’ Playstation after days of being asked when they are going to be allowed to use it. The three of them are once again on the floor, in front of the television, in Ethan’s room. I’m only watching them from the doorway. I’m going to empty a few more boxes we brought from Chicago when I stopped on track to savor the wonderful sight of the three of them together.

“Fight games!” Emma was given the honor to choose the first game they’ll play. I was expecting for a cute game, but it seems like she’s up for some action.

“Let’s go Lili!” she excitedly picked a girly character and transferred at the foot of Ethan’s bed, away from the boys. “Let’s go Panda!” Ethan picked his character next and even practiced his fingers on what buttons to press.

“Aigoo…” is all Jiyong can say.

Just like him, our kids love playing video games. I remember when the first playstation were released. He dragged me to the store to buy it, spending his weeks allowance without asking his Omma if it’s okay. The game console ended up in my room because Omma scolded him bigtime upon seeing it and told him to return it back to the store. He’s too stubborn to obey. For months, he will go to my house after school and before he trains at YG to play for a while. He was able to convince me to play with him. I got addicted to the fight game our kids are playing now as well, thing is the one we used was the very first version of the game.

An hour passed and they are still engrossed in playing. Jiyong gets to play once and a while, and I can hear grunts and cheering from where I am.

“No!”

“Don’t you dare!”

“STOP!”

“Get out of here!”

Next thing I know it, Ethan and Emma are on each other’s throats, while their Father is shell shocked by what’s going on. This is the first time he was ever in this situation. This is where his parenting will be put to the test.

Still calm and composed, I walked in the room and stood not too far from them. I made sure they can both see me. Normally, they will stop right away once I appear, but this time is different. I don’t even think they care that I’m there. They continue to shout at each other, exchanging petty blows that I clearly told them is not allowed to be said anywhere, most specially in front of me.

They are not cursing at each other. A good example of a petty blow is “You !” (that they always hear from the Thompson kids) or “You go back to where you come from” (that I believe they got from a TV series, Aden used to watch).In instances like this, I scold them enough to the point they get scared just by hearing my voice the next day.

“GET….LOST!” Emma throws a punch at Ethan’s arm, shocking Jiyong and I.

All of a sudden, “YAH!” Jiyong raised his voice…

                                          *****