...76

The Last Single Girl

 

JIYONG

After talking to the hotel staff, my head’s a mess and my stomach is in knots. I don’t know what to do next. It seems like she’s so near me already, and it’s just a matter of time before our paths cross.

“I need a drink” I told TOP Hyung and Youngbae who are as confused and curious as I am.

“Let’s drink in my room” TOP Hyung said, and I nodded in agreement.

Youngbae pulled out his phone. “I’ll call Daesungie and Seungri”

This is what I’ve missed. Our Brotherhood. Now, it’s not just me who will go through a crazy journey once again, I have the rest of my members to walk me through.

“What? You saw Areumie Noona?” Seungri’s reaction is exaggerated as usual.

I sighed. “I think the woman is her”

Daesung nodded. “Maybe it’s really Areum Noona, Hyung. I mean, you can recognize her even from the back. There are even times when you can tell she’s near just by her smell. You can never go wrong when it comes to her”

Youngbae patted my shoulder while nodding. “Three years might’ve separated you two, but it can’t change familiarity”

As a matter of fact, I am too familiar that there are times I don’t know if I move by myself only or if I’m moving just like her. Our decades old friendship really confused me in so many ways, that even when we’re far apart, she still confuses me.

“Now that we kind of know where she is, what are your plans?” TOP Hyung stared at me, waiting for an answer.

Honestly, I can’t think straight to even come up with what to do. I have mixed feelings about this. I’m not even making myself believe so much that, that woman is her because it might not be her. The last thing I want to feel right now is disappointment and frustration, for I have work to do and I don’t want it to be affected.

“I think it’s better to research about Elle Yoon” Seungri’s mind is working. Thank God!

Proud of our Maknae, the other members playfully punched him. “Aigoo. You think really well” Youngbae teased and messed his hair, making him groan.

He giggled like a kid. “Mr. Google surely knows a lot about Elle Yoon. I’m telling you Hyung, I have a strong feeling we’ll find her here”

During the first year of their disappearance, there was not a day that I didn’t check her name on the internet, hoping that there will be something useful that will lead me to them. I went far when I looked at a Las Vegas marriage site where registration of marriages are. I was thinking that maybe, just like me, she made a rash decision to get married. Well, I found nothing.

TOP Hyung stood up from his chair, straightened his clothes and walked to the desk where Seungri is, in front of the laptop. “Let’s do this!” he exclaimed.

Gathered around the laptop, we searched her name with shaky hands. All five of us are silent as we browse every result given. The internet might not give us enough information, but it can help in some ways. What do we know? We might even find her address.

“!” TOP Hyung bursts out. “Why isn’t there any sensible information?”

Daesung sighed. “There are quite a few with the same name. We’ve checked on each one of them, but none is Areum Noona”

Youngbae walked back to his seat and gulped down, in one go, his wine. I can see frustration on his face, as well with the others. “Know what? I think we won’t find anything on the internet”

TOP Hyung faced him, “You think so?”

He smirked. “She’s hiding”

Makes sense.

The five of us are going crazy already, thinking how we’ll get a hold on this Elle Yoon.

“She may be married” I told them, cutting off their conversation as to why she changed her surname.

Youngbae snapped up. “If she is, then your children now has a Father”

That stabbed me bad. I can’t imagine them loving another man than me. Their Mother is really nuts. How can she give a different Father to my children when she didn’t even give me a chance to play that role to them?

“It’s just funny” TOP Hyung is at his second bottle of wine already. “All this time you thought she’s with that Doctor”

“Dr. Miller” I said, and he just brushed it off.

“What if she’s not really with him? What if it just happened that they both resigned from the hospital at the same time, that he’s not her accomplice in running away?” TOP Hyung has a point. I haven’t thought of this at all.

Now, I’m ed up. My head is in total mess and I don’t know how to clear it. I swear, I’m going to be doubly hurt if my children is carrying another surname and has another Father. It will make me hate their Mother again.

Seungri, maybe sensing that I feel horrible, leaned over and patted my shoulder. “I don’t think Noona is already married, Hyung” he consoled me. “Maybe she just changed her name for you not to be able to find her”

Daesung sighed and smiled. “We will find her. You’ve got us to help you. Married or not, we’ll not stop looking for her”

In this times is where you’ll really know the people you can turn to. With them behind me, I found strength to look for my children and their Mother again. I will prepare myself for whatever might happen. But I’m wishing hard that she’s not yet married, and I find myself so foolish in doing so.

“If we only have time to get this Elle Yoon investigated” TOP Hyung is still obviously frustrated. He got so into it, that I think he’s having a hard time pulling himself out. I’m in the same boat as him, even feeling worse.

Youngbae clasps his hand, making a loud sound, attracting attention. “What do we know? Maybe she’ll be back tomorrow” he said, sounding so positive.

A ray of hope is never bad.

The members and I parted ways to our own rooms after drinking six bottles of wine. None of us were drunk. My plan of working on a song disappeared in thin air because I can’t focus on it at all. So, I just bummed in my room and watched a baseball game to somehow clear my head.

“AISH!” I threw the remote to my side and messed my hair. “Where are you guys?” I groaned.

It seems like I really can’t pull myself out from thoughts of my children. My drive to see them intensified. If I have to look in every side of America for them, I will.

*phone ringing*

“AISH!” I’m not in the mood to talk. Whoever my caller is, I hope he/she is up for a senseless conversation. “Oh?” It’s an unknown number.

I’m not the type to entertain unknown calls, but for some reason, I feel like I should pick up. It might be important after all.

“Hello”

“Hi GD” a guy is on the other line.

Curious, “Who is this?” I asked.

His voice. It’s familiar. I wonder where I heard it.

“It’s Aden”

The moment he said his name, my heart leaped. It seems like God has heard my plea to lead me to sunlight, after being in the dark for so long.

“Long time, no talk, Dr. Miller” I said, plainly.

I wonder why he called. I wonder where he got my number. Is this just coincidence, or he’s going to lead me to my family?

“Yes. It’s been a long time”. His voice sounds weak. “Anyway, I heard that you’re here in Chicago”

Oh? Does he live here?

I sighed. This is killing me. Can’t he just go direct to the point?

“Yeah. I’m with my band. We have a show this Friday”

“Great” he doesn’t sound himself, to be honest. What’s with this guy? “Why did you call?” I can’t wait no more. The anxiety is getting the best of me.

He take a breath and exhaled heavily. There was about half a minute pause, before…

“I know where she is” he finally speak up, making me freeze. “She’s living here in Chicago all along. I brought them here. I will give you her address, so that you can finally see her and your children”

Just like that, my doubt about the woman at the reception, floated away. It’s really her. I feel like the universe is playing on me, but I must say, it’s a good game.

“I shouldn’t be asking you this, for I should be thanking you for leading me to them. But, why are you doing this? Why are you giving her out? Isn’t she going to be angry at you for doing so?”

He coughed. “Let’s just say that I’m granting a personal wish before things end for me”

                                                ****