...82

The Last Single Girl

 

Yesterday is like a dream. Jiyong’s sudden appearance took me by surprise that I cannot give a huge reaction to it. Most of what happened I cannot even remember. All I know is that he already found us, and that he already know that he got another child with me, which he actually know about even before.

“Oh!” I reached for the kids in bed but they’re not in their places anymore. Still sleepy, I opened an eye and saw none of them. I sighed. “Maybe they’re playing in the living room” I said and positioned myself to go back to sleep again.

“AAAHHH!!!” I sit straight up upon hearing Emma, screaming. With my head spinning and my soul still not in my body, I run out of the room.

“What’s going on?” I am seeing two kids, kneeling in front of the center table, doing art on colored papers. Both looked fine, but the table and the carpet, is not, because of spilled paint all over it.

Emma looked at me, smiling. She raised her hands up, covered with pink paint. “We’re painting Mom!” she energetically said. If only I can pull out that much energy in the morning.

I chuckled. “I can see that”

Ethan is using a paintbrush, but his hands have paint on them as well. Without looking at me, “We’re making sorry cards for Daddy. In case he comes back today”

To surprise them, I didn’t tell that Jiyong is coming today. Truth is, I don’t know what time he’ll be here or if he can even make it, for according to him, they’ll be filming their comeback music video. God knows how long it takes to finish. I swear, it takes FOREVER!

About last night, when we’re left alone, I can say that we’re not as awkward as we are during his first hour here. Of course, we’re not the same anymore. We will never be (I think). But, we are civil, and it’s better than fighting each other.

And oh! He was about to hug me when I got emotional because of Aden. Drag is, it didn’t happen, because his manager arrived just in time. I must admit, I got pissed it didn’t happen, all because I want to be hugged by him again, even for the first and last time.

“Mom” the kids are so into their art, all for their Daddy. Emma walked to me and watched me cleaning the top cabinet. I chose not to go back to bed and just do my morning chores instead. After all, I only have a few minutes before I wake up. “Can you tell us more about Daddy?” she asked, making me stare at the ballerina display I just dusted off.

This is the hardest part of all, answering countless questions. Knowing my children, they will continuously fire until all the questions in their heads are answered. Oh well, I don’t have a choice. They will only get to know him through me, aside from him, himself.

I finished what I’m doing first and joined them in the living room. The sight of our center table and carpet with paint spills is horrific, so I try hard to ignore them for a moment.

“What do you want to know?” I asked, while looking at their doodles. The two are very creative. Ethan is the one with a good hand for drawing.

My son raised his paint filled hand enthusiastically. I pointed at him, “Yes, Superman?”

He giggled. Being called as his favorite superhero makes him tingly. “What’s his favorite cartoon character?”

It didn’t take a breath for me to answer. Of course, I know it. “Spongebob, Pikachu, at some point Mighty Mouse. I remember, he was so convinced that Mighty Mouse is Mickey Mouse, just in a superhero outfit”

In case you didn’t know, Mighty Mouse is a character way back. He was once famous. Ask your parents, maybe they know who he is. I’m telling you, he’s fun.

The kids pouted, “I only know Spongebob” Emma said, making me laugh. I don’t know, but this made me feel ultimately old.

“How about his favorite color?” she asked.

“Black”

“How about pink?” our daughter will definitely be happy if I say he does like pink.

Emma is crazy about pink. Though she’s not that into Hello Kitty, she’s all about pink stuff. The bed that she hasn’t sleep on, ever, has pink pillows and sheets, and all she does is look at it, appreciating the goodness her favorite color is giving her. And just like any little girl out there, she wears pink almost every day.

“He wears pink” I told them. “As a matter of fact, there were even times when his hair is pink”

And that shocked them. The look on their faces tells me that they cannot imagine Jiyong or anybody per se, with pink hair for they haven’t seen one. If only they know that their Father has tried almost all the colors humanity knows, I’m sure they’ll flip out.

*doorbell rings*

“I’ll get it!” Ethan put down his paintbrush and scrambled to the door.

Emma almost threw the box of crayon to catch up with her Brother. “I’ll get there first!” she raced him to the door.

If it’s Maddy and Caden, I’m sure the mess in the living room will double in a second. It’s Sunday, which means day long playdates for the children.

“DADDY!”

The moment I heard this, my heart skipped a beat. He’s early. Doesn’t he have work? As far as I can remember, he told me last night that they got a full schedule, starting in the morning until late afternoon.

“Good Morning” he greeted awkwardly upon seeing me.

His presence still surprises me. I still cannot believe he’s real, and that he’s in front of me. “Good Morning” I greeted back, smiling.

Our kids are so happy, their faces show it. They are really excited he’s here. They’re holding Jiyong’s hand when they walked in. Ethan on the left. Emma on the right.

“Ah!” Emma snapped, shocking us. We looked at her at the same time. “We made something for you Daddy” she pulled him to the couch.

“Sit here!” Ethan patted the couch, and like an obedient dog, Jiyong does what he’s told.

He looked at me after settling down, worried. “They made a mess” he mouthed.

I sighed heavily, “All good” I said, and he just chuckled.

GAH! That boyish look when he chuckles is still very attractive. It is killing me!

The kids are on each other while showing Jiyong their artworks. Their comments on each other’s work is hilarious. This exact scene happens whenever they make artworks for me too, just a little tamed. The two has never been so loud.

“This is you…Ethan…Mom…and Me!” Emma, as usual, is at it. Good thing, Ethan gives way to her. If not, it’ll probably result to a riot. Her drawing is stick like figures. In the background, there are pink flowers, pink house, pink trees, pink birds, and even a pink car. “This one is only you” she’s now on her second artwork. “Mom told us that you smile like us, so I asked Ethan to smile for me while I draw”. She smiled at Jiyong who smiled back, widely, at her. “To be on point” she finishes, making the both of us laugh.

I’m sure Jiyong is enjoying this. Full attention on him. I hope that even in this small way, he felt special.

“My turn” Ethan shoved his Sister to the side, and instead of getting mad, Emma just laughed it off. The difference between them is, Ethan can write by copying the words. He asked me what Sorry spells a while ago. I wrote it on a sheet of paper and he copied.

“This is you…Me…Emma….and Mom”. Just like Emma’s, he also made a family. Actually, they rarely draw a Dad in their family pictures. I remember asking them why once, and they just shrugged it off. I don’t know, maybe the thought of not having him around is not a big deal to them at all. But I’m so sure, this time, Jiyong will never be left out. “At the back of this, I wrote Sorry” our son is explaining everything in detail. “I’m still learning how to write. That’s why, it looks ugly” he forced a smile when I can easily tell that he’s ashamed of his writing.

Jiyong hugged him from behind, “It’s beautiful, Little Man” he told him.

Oh my heart, it’s melting!

“What’s this?” Jiyong closely looked at Ethan’s other artwork.

My curiosity heightened when Emma giggled as if it’s a busted secret or an inside joke.

“Our sibling” Ethan answered casually.

With my ears ringing, “Your what?” I cannot help but to react.

Jiyong looked at me, smirking, and all I can do is sigh.

“We want another baby, Daddy” Emma’s sweet voice made my ear ring, again.

Ever since the Thompsons had another baby, the kids have been asking me for one too, as if it’s just a doll that I can buy in a toy store. There was even a time when they told their playmates I’m pregnant that made me lose my sanity. I have to tell everybody I’m not, for a whole day. I remember, that day, when the kids broke my ‘pregnancy’ news, Aden called me, asking if I had a stupid one night stand that resulted to another baby. I even have to take a pregnancy test for him to believe me.

I cleared my throat. This is awkward. “Kids”. I will handle this, even when I’m blushing, which is so embarrassing. “How many times do I have to tell you that having a baby is not as instant as you think it is?”

Ethan ignored me and focused on Jiyong. “But, babies are delivered by storks, right Daddy? All you and Mom have to do is pray for one”

Emma nodded in agreement. “Ms. Brown said that it won’t work if only one of you prays for it. It has to be done by the two of you”

Tip for Parents: This phase really happens. Don’t be shocked. Kids around their age are so imaginative. They also believe everything you tell them, unless they find out it’s not. The most common they ask is a baby, how they’re made and where they come from. The story of the stork, delivering the babies are the best story to get through this phase. You can always use it. Thing is, you have to make sure that you also inject some facts to it. This way, they won’t get too confused once they finally know the truth.

Jiyong looked at me, asking for help. It’s just funny because I know he badly wants to answer his kids’ question. It’s really hard to get through it, using words that their young minds will understand.

After a while, “All right” he pulled the two close to him, wrapping his arms around both of them. I stared at him in interest. “Honestly, storks doesn’t have anything to do with babies. However, praying to have one is true”. Well, it looks like Jiyong is not the kind of parent who sugarcoats.

It’s so obvious that our kids are lost. “Personally, I prayed hard for the two of you. And luckily, God heard it. He granted my prayer through your Mom, by putting you guys in her tummy where you were well taken care of and loved, and prepared for the world” he followed, and it just blew my mind.

Nice! He was able to pull it off.

The two are just silent. They’re probably thinking, ‘What the heck are our teachers teaching us all these years?’

“Also…” Jiyong isn’t done yet. “You are both made out of love”

The moment I heard the word love, my whole body tingled. Well, it’s another fact that both our children are made not only with passion but with so much love as well. Though we didn’t really plan them, the times we conceived, I know Jiyong and I are so in love with each other.

“Daddy” Emma rested her head on his arm, “Pray for another baby again. Please…” This is insane! She’s begging!

Ethan nodded and hugged Jiyong’s arm as well. “Ask God to put a baby in Mom’s tummy again. Like the last time, with Emma!”

These kids, they’re making it sound so easy. If only they know that what they’re asking for is far from possible, I’m sure they’ll totally be disappointed.

I sighed and brushed things off. “I’ll prepare breakfast now” I said, almost running to the kitchen.

Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t just run away because the topic of a baby is making me feel odd, but I felt emotional that I’m about to break into tears. I cannot believe that I’m seeing them together. Also, it freaks me out, because now I can clearly see Emma and Jiyong’s strong resemblance. It’s also heartwarming to see their eyes sparkling beautifully. They just met him, but there’s no doubt they love him so much.

In the kitchen, I kept myself busy. The thought of the kids asking for another baby hits me once in a while, and all I can do is laugh away. It’s epic, I must say.

“Do you need help?”

I flinched. Jiyong just popped out when I’m so focused on what I’m doing. Okay. I’m just whisking eggs, but my mind is too busy running. Gaining my composure, “Hey!” I gave out a forced smile.

He smirked. “Do you need help?” he asked again.

I shook my head. “I’m okay. I can manage”

“All right” he said, and when I thought he’s already going to leave, he just stood in front of me, watching, while I continuously whisk the eggs.

“The kids want water” he finally speaks out.

Casually, I walked to the fridge, pulled out a pitcher and poured water in a glass. “Emma is not good in using glasses yet. She’s still in sippy cups, but she’ll definitely push you to make her drink in a glass. So, you just guide her, because she might pour the whole glass on her”

He laughed. “She really is still a baby”

Oh please! Here comes the word baby again. I’m suddenly traumatized by it.

I smiled. “Yeah. She still is”

And when I thought that he’s going to leave after, he didn’t. Instead, he stood in front of me again and watched while I put cheese in breads.

“What do you think is fun to do today?” he asked, after a while.

I looked at him, curiously. “Don’t you have work?” I asked.

Don’t react violently. I just asked because I’m curious.

He take a breath and exhaled heavily, “I’m going to leave in a while. Truth is, I just squeezed in going here this morning only to say Hi to the kids”

Sweet!

“I see”. Gosh! Why do I feel awkward all of a sudden?

“Do you still want to see Aden?” I asked, thinking that he might’ve changed his mind or his schedule is too tight for it.

Nodding, “Yeah. Let’s go see him early evening. I just have to finish filming” he replied plainly. There was a long pause. “If it’s okay with you, can I take the kids out to the park later?”

Without hesitation, “Of course!” I snapped. “They will love that”

“I’ll be back this afternoon, after work” he said, and I nodded at him.

Minutes after that, he already left, leaving the kids excited for their date in the park later. I don’t know what he’s planning to do, but for sure it’s going to be fun.

“We asked Daddy over and over again to pray to God to give us another sibling” Ethan said randomly in the middle of breakfast.

Here we go again.

With a sigh, “Kids, it’s not…”

“He said he will” Emma cheerfully cut me off.

WHAT THE HECK JIYONG?

                                                                                                                                                       ****