...22

The Last Single Girl

Oh, Love! Hard to explain but so easy to express.

“No. Way.” my feet are planted on the marbled floor. I cannot believe my eyes.

“Yes way!”

The moment I heard him speak again, I jumped into him, my arms wrapped around his neck and legs around his waist, like a Koala on a tree. His smell is so him. It really is him.

JIYONG!

“Aigoo” he lifted me up a little, for I’m slipping down already. His arms under my thighs. “Missed me?” he asked, his lips so close to my neck.

Heart racing, I tightened my arms around his neck, hugging him with all my might, my face buried on the crook of his neck.

“Yah” he my back ever so gently. “Can we go inside first?”

And I’m back to my senses. Good thing there is no one in the hallway or else, they will think of us weird.

When I was about to go off him, he hold me tighter, keeping me in place. I looked at him. “I doubt if you can walk with me clinging onto you”. He smirked, bent down to grab his huge red Birkin bag. “I’ll have that” I said and snatched it from him. Gosh! It is heavy! With my arms resting on his shoulder, I hold the bag, dangling behind him. Then he bent down again to pick up another huge bag.

“Omo!” This man, he’s really working so hard. With a light kick, he was able to close the door. He walked me to the bed and carelessly dropped me on it. “That’s quite a workout” he said, stretching his arms and twisting his upper body.

What is this, some kind of mental telepathy? Last night, I was talking to him in my mind, telling how bad I want to see him and my excitement to go home to start our relationship. If he’s here because of my text message, isn’t it too fast? No matter how powerful he is in Korea, he cannot book a flight right then and there, and leave. Ugh! Why am I tiring myself with thinking when I can just ask him?

“Why are you here?” I asked, curiously. He raised an eyebrow. “You don’t want me here?

I rolled my eyes. “Of course, I want to! Do you think I’m going to cling on you if I don’t?”

He laughed and joined me in bed. We’re sitting face to face. His eyes looks at me differently. I still see my best friend, but there’s something new to it. “A couple of days ago, I went out with Seunghyun Hyung and Youngbae for a drink. I told them about us”. My eyes go big. “And they are so happy. They said, they have a strong feeling we might work. Then, they asked me how I’m capable of waiting for you to come back when I can fly here and celebrate our first days together. I see the point, so I wrapped my recording up and go here”

Nice!

“Does Appa and Omma know?”

He smiled and hold my hand that is resting on my thigh. “Yeah. They know, both our relationship and my sudden trip”

Oh gosh! This is beyond shocking. I know we’ll get to a point where we really need to tell them, but not this soon. Not, when I’m still getting used to our new relationship

Flushed, “What did they say?”

Silence.

“What?”

He chuckled. “They congratulated me. Omma is thrilled. I can see clearly on her face. And Appa, well, he’s a bit shocked but very happy” his smile assured me that everything is all right. “You want to know a secret?”

Here we go again.

“What?” I leaned forward, our faces so close to each other. He smiles and tapped the tip of my nose. I wrinkled it, and he giggled (too cheesy, I know). “Omma has been praying for this for a very long time. Turns out, she can also see the spark between us. It’s not just Noona. She even said that she nearly forced me to make a move on you after you graduated college. If only we don’t see each other as siblings, and of course, if only I’m single that time”

I guess there’s no need to worry anymore. I cannot believe that Omma is rooting for me. All this time, I thought she only see me as her adopted daughter.

“So…all is well” I said in relief.

He gave a small nod, smiling widely. “Almost. We still have the public and Hong Shik to take care of”

Oh yeah. Gosh! These two are the hardest to handle.

“Have you checked Hong Shik?” I asked, feeling bad just by saying his name.

How will I not feel bad? The guy already treats me as his girlfriend. And as much as I don’t want to break his heart, I have to.

Jiyong sighed heavily. “I went to your apartment last week. He wasn’t there, mid-morning. Then I dropped by again before my flight, and he’s out again. The place looks fine. Clean. Your things are still on its places. It’s Hong Shik that’s missing”

I wonder what’s going on with him. We talk the day after I landed in London and he told me that he got a lot of gigs for the week. We weren’t able to talk any further because of my bad headache.

“Do you think he’s doing fine?” I asked, worry, clear on my face.

Jiyong take in a breath, exhaled slowly and nodded. “I’ll have Manager Hyung to check on him”

I don’t know why, but I feel like I have full responsibility of Hong Shik. Even if we didn’t work out, he’s still a dear friend.

Time is ticking way too fast and I’m behind schedule. Lexi who is in the same hotel keeps on buzzing me, for I told her that we’ll go to the university together.

“This is beautiful” Jiyong is really handy when it comes to fashion. As usual, he picked my outfit.

In a black straight wide leg cut jumpsuit, , I slip in my red killer heels. My hair in a tight ponytail with only light makeup on. In all fairness, I look better than when I was in London (stress is surely washed out). Maybe, it’s the glow.

“Why do I have a feeling that you’ll steal the spotlight from all of us there?” I asked, not in the tone of a girlfriend but a best friend.

He laughed. “Don’t I, always?”

Playfully, I pushed him. “G-dragon effect”

Don’t take him seriously. Truth is, he doesn’t mind whether or not he gets attention. Sometimes he tell me that he’s had enough of it. Well, he’s G-dragon. It’s given that wherever he goes, people notice him. Even the ones who don’t know him, can’t help but to turn their heads.

“Good?” he asked, after finishing off with a very expensive jacket. I stare at him, nodded and smiled.

We are the elegant black couple of the evening. Nope. We didn’t plan it.

In a sponsored car to the university’s auditorium, I kind of toured Jiyong around by pointing at the places I’ve been to, telling stories that he has already heard from me before (it gives a different feeling, seeing where it happened).

“We’re here!” my voice is full of excitement.

Jiyong looked out the window then turned to me, giving me a questioning look. “I thought you hate reunions, why so jumpy now?”

I smirked. “I realized that maybe, all I got to do is give it a try. If it’s boring, like it always is, we can leave and have fun somewhere”

Smiling cutely while biting his lower lip, he patted the top of my head like a master complementing his dog. “Aigoo. I have a feeling that you’ll enjoy”

“I hope so”

Cool! The moment we stepped out of the car, it’s already the red carpet that ends at the mahogany doors. Just like in award shows/premieres/ special events, we were ushered to the photo wall where photographers are waiting. It looks and feels like the Oscars or the Grammys. With my arm hooked on his, I glanced at Jiyong and didn’t see nervousness on his face at all. He’s giving off the ‘G-dragon red carpet attitude’, proving that he really is a pro. He’s so used to this, while I’m awkward as ever. I’m so tensed, Jiyong has to my back to loosen me up a little.

So this is how it feels to be on the red carpet, getting your picture taken, and with a hot date.

“Elle!” Joy, a batch mate, one of the organizers, recognized me. “Hi!” I waved at her and she walked towards us, out of camera shot. I was a little surprised when she hugged me tight, for we’re not close at all. In fact, I cannot remember talking to her longer than five minutes.

Delighted to see me, “Good to see you again! Wow! You really changed”

What do I say?

“Good to see you too” I replied politely, then I noticed that she’s not looking at me, but at Jiyong.

Oh no no no, missy! You’re not giving my man that flirty look. OFF LIMITS!

I smiled. “This is Jiyong Kwon” I looked at him who gave out his cute gummy smile, then turned to Joy, “My boyfriend”. I sounded so possessive.

“Oh!”

Jiyong nodded and holds out his hand. “Nice to meet you”

Alright. This is weird.

Walking to the double mahogany doors, “My BOYFRIEND” he teased, making me laugh. I pinched his arm. “Stop it”. And he laughed.

Entering the hall, I cannot believe that I’m really here. The decorations are over the top. Elegance and class shouts from every corner. I’m not surrounded by students anymore, but Doctors, Professionals, who were are all part of my college life.

Registering my name, I can see familiar names. There’s Morgan, the girl who I always share a table with in the library. I wonder what she looks like now. Is she still wearing braces? I hope not. Then Lincoln, the guy who used to be my ex-boyfriend’s sidekick. Wait. They have the same surname. Oh! They got hitched? Wow!

“Do I really have to wear this? Isn’t my face enough?” I asked Jiyong, holding the gold pin that has my full name on it. He grabbed it from me and pinned it top left of my chest. “Yeah” he answered and winked.

We end up standing near the door. Jiyong, as expected, is a head turner. I have a feeling that everybody will have the GD virus by the end of the night.

“Where are they?” I’ve been looking for the girls for half an hour already. Been buzzing them but no one’s picking up. “They told me they will get a table here at the back” I told Jiyong who is feeling the music, swaying his head to the beat and tapping his foot.

     FROM ROBYN:

                Where are you? We already walked the carpet. Lexi said you’ll go here alone instead. Don’t tell me you changed your mind and not coming anymore.

           TO ROBYN:

                Already here. Been looking for you guys. Where in classy hell are you?

Finally, we found them. They are at the center of so many round tables, close to the stage. It turns out that we were designated to sit here. Good thing, they save two seats for one person (in case he/she have a tag along).

“Oh my gosh!”

“Holy Guacamole!”

“Wicked!”

The girls squealed upon seeing Jiyong.

“Hello! Hello! Hello!” Robyn is the first to give him a hug. She’s so jumpy, I can feel the thrill from where I am.

“This is so unexpected!” Lexi’s turn. She’s so loud, I nearly covered with my hand.

“Handsome as always” Phoebe hugged him, way too long. He’s playing with me, by sticking his tongue out at me while locking Jiyong in his arms.

There’s really no need for introductions. They know Jiyong and he knows all of them, including husbands and fiancé. But, I feel the need to, especially when his role in my life has changed already.

“Guys”. I smiled and touched Jiyong’s arm. “This is Jiyong Kwon” I said, and we looked at each other. Without looking away, “My boyfriend”

The girls shrieked and once again, hugged Jiyong who is nothing but accommodating. We take the seats between Phoebe and Lexi.

“This is unbelievable!” Phoebe is bursting out in glee. “The four of us are finally complete, after so many years. We are in the institution that made us who we are today. With our partners who we love so much!”

Nice words. I love it.

Lexi raised her wine glass for a toast. We did the same, genuine smiles on our faces. “To love and friendship!” she said enthusiastically and we clinked glasses.

“Look at me in the eye” Robyn says every time someone clinks her glass.

Lexi made face. “What the heck?”

Phoebe and I just looked at each other and laughed.

Robyn sipped her wine and looked at all of us. “Didn’t you guys know, that if you clink glasses without looking at each other’s eyes, it’s seven years of bad !”

“!” Phoebe hurriedly grabbed her glass and elbowed her fiance. “Eye contact” she said to Andy, and I burst out in laughter. Lexi and Caden did the same. Seriously, who would bite that superstition?

Jiyong turned to me, glass in hand with a wide smile on his face. “Cheers” he said, looking straight into my eyes. I sighed. “Not you too”. He chuckled, grabbed my glass, and gave it to me. “Cheers” he repeated, eyes fixed on mine. I rolled my eyes and give in. “Cheers” and we clinked glasses.

Looks like the man doesn’t like bad . Who does?

Oh my gosh! . With him. I don’t know how to put my feelings in words, but it’s disturbing. Weeks ago, I will never even dare to think about us, in bed, doing something , but now that we’re on another level, it’s so possible. I’m going nuts!

My deep thinking was distracted when Amelia and her ‘gang’ went up the stage, and the crowd roared. So weird, the four of them still give out y feels, which is totally annoying.

Phoebe leaned on me. “Le didn’t change at all. Her tan is still over-baked. She’s still orange!” she said, making me laugh my out.

Not to be mean, but Amelia really needs to stay away from tanning beds. If someone is caring enough to tell her this.

“Welcome to our annual homecoming!”

Cheers are so loud, I wasn’t able to get what was said next.

“Before I call out our ever loveable Dean, let me acknowledge the presence of Ms. Elle Jeong, our batch’s wonder brain!”

Oh !

Really?

“Where is she? Elle?”

I swear, this is embarrassing.

Amelia’s head goes left, right, front, looking for me. I’m not moving an inch. I will hide under the table in a while.

“Here!” Jiyong called out, grabbed my wrist and raised my hand up.

Seriously, Kwon Jiyong?

The spotlight transferred from the stage, to me, and next thing I know it, everybody’s cheering and our table is the loudest. Lexi looks like her lungs are going out of anytime soon, while Robyn is so hyped, she’s pumping her fist up.

“What?” Jiyong shrugged when I looked at him. I leaned on him, hitting his shoulder with my shoulder, a little too hard. “Why did you do that?”

He sighed, turned to me and smiled. “You look beautiful. I love you”

What a counter attack!

Areum tip on relationship: DO NOT be carried away by sweet words easily. If you do, your boyfriend/girlfriend will use it as a technique to get pass you.

“Not working” I said and stick out my tongue at him.

He laughed then leaned on me. “Lights are dim but I can see you blushing”

Shoot me!

The way he talks, moves and even teases are already different from before. He’s more….intimate. So, boyfriend-ish. He’s transitioning fast and I think I should too, but how?

“Hey!” Phoebe nudged me, holding a wine glass in one hand, cracker and cheese in the other. I smiled at her and I clinked my glass at her (with eye contact). We’re off our tables now. The program ended with a lot of inspirational stories. Oh, good thing I don’t have to do it. I must say, Amelia really prepared for this.

Just standing in a corner, I’m once again a wallflower, with Phoebe beside me. Lexi came to us. “Seriously, are you guys going to just stand here and let this night end without meeting people?” she asked and took my glass. In one shot, she emptied it. Pointing at me, “Mr. De Souza, our Microbiology professor, remember him?” she asked and I nodded.

“What about him? Don’t tell me he’s already dead”

She slapped my arm, laughing. “No! I just finished talking with him and some other professors. He wanted to see you, because according to him, you’re his favorite student”

I smirked. “Yeah. Yeah. Yeah”

That old man is over seventy years old already. Last time I heard, he’s retiring but didn’t push through because he finds it so boring to do nothing.

And I’m faced with my monsters again. By that I mean my Professors. They are in one table. Mr. De Souza welcomed me with a warm hug. We talked about me and of course, work. He’s not surprised to know that I specialized in two fields, and said he’s so proud of me. I’m beyond touched.

“Ms. Krosno” Mrs. Brown, my Human Anatomy Professor said, looking over my shoulder. I looked behind me and saw Robyn. “Hey!” she touched my elbow and smiled at our Professor.

“Good Evening Mrs. Brown” she greeted and politely acknowledged the others. “I’m no longer Ms. Krosno” she told her proudly “I’m now Mrs. Morton. I got married two years ago”

“Congratulations!” Mrs. Brown gave her a tight hug.

“Hmm…” I don’t know what’s with Robyn, but I can sense something is going on. “Can I borrow Ms. Jeong for a while?” she asked, and Mrs. Brown nodded with a sweet smile on her face.

Pulling me away from the ‘monsters’ table, Robyn leaned closer and whispered in my ear. “You need to put a mark on your property”

                                                                                                *****