...39

The Last Single Girl

 

The only thing that can make any relationship last is love. Without it, we care less. Without it, it’ll be easier to hurt somebody. Love is what makes good people. Love is beautiful.

Today, Jiyong is a trooper. He will experience fun in a different level and I cannot wait to see him go through it all.

In all fairness to him, he’s really making my pregnancy worth it. During my first months I thought I’ll just go through it without doing anything special. I’m not even expecting for people to care about me so much. I thought I’m going to be alone, but I’m lucky. Lucky to have someone that cares so much, he’ll do everything for me, even when I’m not deserving of it.

“Are you truly decided to do this?” I asked him before getting in his car.

It’s early in the morning and he’s unbelievably in his senses already. We all know he’s still in dreamland during this time, but his dedication to help me for easy delivery is so strong, he forced himself to do things that not all husbands will even do.

Still with chinky eyes, uncombed hair hiding under his cap, “I am” he answered, sounding confident but his face is washed with anxiousness.

We’re going to attend a birthing class called Bradley Method, commonly known as ‘Husband-coached birth’ because the men will have a huge part in class. They will be taught how to handle their wives during labor, how to prepare for labor and a lot more things. They will have an active participation before and during birth as their wives’ birth coach.

Walking in the room full of pregnant women is so overwhelming. We all look like we ate too much. Some bellies are so big, I feel like they’re going to pop already. And to top it all off, the heavy stare of the participants is making me feel conscious. They’re definitely wondering why G-dragon is here.

“Hi!” I greeted the woman beside me.

She smiled and extended her hand out to me. “I’m Eun Gi”

I took her hand and shook it. “Areum”

“Are you GD’s girlfriend?” she’s so straightforward. I didn’t see that coming.

Politely, I shook my head. “He’s my best friend”

“Really?” she doesn’t look convinced.

I nodded. “Best friend for twenty years”

This is going to be a challenge – explaining to people our relations. Raised eyebrows and doubts should be expected.

“How about your husband?” Eun Gi is unstoppable. She fires her bullets as if we’ve known each other forever.

I should prepare myself for this question from now on because I’m sure it’ll be asked over and over again in the future.

Coolly, “I don’t have one”

As expected, I’m given the sympathy look once again. The look I hate the most for people always give me that when my parents passed away. I guess having no husband is really a big deal. No wonder, some women just choose abortion. If only they know that motherhood and a baby is more than a good reputation.

The class started with each couple introducing themselves. Jiyong and I are the odd-couple.

“It truly is a pleasure to have him here” the teacher said. “Mr. G-dragon, kindly introduce yourself”

As if he needs any introduction.

Oozing with appeal and confidence even in his most casual clothes, Jiyong stood up, bowed deeply in respect and flashed a dashing smile (the soon to-be mothers are so delighted to see him to the point that they nearly left their husbands to sit closer to him).

“Good morning! I’m Kwon Jiyong. Thirty years old. A musician. I’m here to support my best friend, Areumie”

Once again, all eyes are on me. The people’s reaction upon hearing that we’re only best friends is the same reaction Eun Gi gave a while ago. In doubt.

“Hi! I’m Jeong Areum. Thirty years old. A Pediatrician and Neuro-surgeon. I’m a proud single mother”

As much as I don’t want to be pitied by everyone, I have to tell them ahead that I’m with no husband. I’ll just up their sympathy and brush it off after class.

“Our first lesson is relaxation technique. The Appas will have to listen very well because this is really important…”

The first lesson is quite easy. Actually, I’ve learned it in medical school already. Jiyong on the other hand, is so serious learning that he surpassed the husbands during the demo. The teacher commended him, saying that he’s going to be a great birth coach (I think the teacher is a fan and she’s being biased).

“What’s hard in this?” Jiyong bashed during the break.

I looked at him and smirked. “Just wait and see”

Each lesson, Jiyong took it like a piece of cake. If there’s a student ranking, he’ll be on top.

“Now, we will watch some videos to walk you through what you’re going to experience in months time”

This is what I’ve been waiting for. I’ve been looking forward to this ever since Jiyong told me we’re going to attend class. Now, we will see if Mr. Kwon can really handle a birth.

The first clip shows the movement of the baby inside the stomach during labor and the possible problems that can occur. In this process, with the baby moving around so much, its umbilical cord can possibly wrap around its neck. All of a sudden, Jiyong touched my stomach and rubbed it gently. His face, worried.

The next clip is how it’s like during labor. It showed different women with different approaches to it. There’s one thing that’s common, they are all in pain but very persistent and patient, all for the baby.

Jiyong leaned closer to me. “Do you think you’re going to be like that?” he pointed at the screen that is showing a mother, crying her eyes out in pain.

“Maybe more than that” I whispered in his ear, making him look at me in horror.

“I don’t think I can handle the crying” he said and I giggled.

A couple of clips done and we’re finally on my favorite clip – the actual birth. In here, we will see how babies come out in every birthing method. This is fun because I’m sure the men in the room won’t get over it fast. It can even be their nightmare for a few days.

“Oh my….gosh!” Jiyong’s jaw dropped upon seeing a crowning baby (it’s when the baby’s head is visible in the mother’s opening).

“Shh….izz!” at this time, half of the baby’s head is out.

“NOOOO!!!” he lost his marbles now. “It ripped!” he said in disbelief.

Playful, I wrapped my arm around his shoulders. “There’s more” with a grin.

“Impossible” he’s biting his nails while anxiously waiting for the baby’s shoulders to come out. “The hole is small. How can shoulders fit? I mean, c’mon! Don’t tell me it’s going to rip some more”

Let me correct myself when I said that this is going to be just fun. It’ actually very entertaining.

“Ow!” he screeched when the baby finally came out. Then he turned his back on the screen, “Now I feel like fainting”

Good thing he didn’t faint because if he does, there’ll be two of them. One of the husbands weren’t able to take it. Next thing we know it, he’s passed out on his seat already.

“Fun, huh?” I teased Jiyong after class.

We’re in the car already. It’s been thirty minutes since the video showing but like I expected, he won’t be able to get over it that easy.

Still out of his element, “It was, at some point”

It made me laugh. “That’s how it is” I said and smiled. “So...do you think you can eat? Because I swear, I’m starving!”

For most people, watching something like birth videos lessens their appetite. Believe me, us Doctors, have been in that position at some point. Mine is after dissecting a dead person.

Because I’m hungry and Jiyong really doesn’t have a choice but to feed me, we dined in one of our favorite fast food where I nearly ordered everything on the menu. A cheeseburger with fries won’t do, so I added a strawberry milkshake and chicken nuggets. And just like our classmates at birthing class, other customers of the fast food were shocked to see G-dragon with a pregnant woman. If only I can write ‘Not his girl’ on my forehead.

“Don’t touch my fries!” I slapped his hand.

“Yah!” he yelled. “Just give me some”

I snatched the tray away and move it closer to me. “Go buy one”, then stick my tongue out like a greedy kid.

It made him laugh. This is how we really are sometimes, childish. We are thirty year olds that turns into five year olds in a snap of a finger.

“Where are going after this?” I asked in the middle of our meal.

Excitement suddenly filled his face that made me nervous because God knows what he’s up to this time. If it’s another birthing class (Lamaze), I will not go anymore.

“What’s it going to be this time?” I asked with not much interest.

He grinned. “We’re gonna go shopping”

Whew!

After eating, we head to the mall already. Jiyong is once again like a kid in a candy store. His eyes are spotting good pieces like a hawk.

“Why are we here?” I asked when we entered a boutique for women. “Don’t tell me you’re eyeing on some girl clothes again”

Well, you guys know that G-dragon wears women clothes sometimes. I’m telling you, it amazes me (one secret, I stole a cardigan of his a long time ago, until now he doesn’t know I have it even when I’ve worn it a lot of times whenever we’re together).

“Dummy!” he playfully flicked my forehead (it didn’t hit), “We’re shopping for you. Get whatever you want”

“But…”

He pushed me gently to a rack. “Let’s change your wardrobe. Think of this day as your baby shower, since you don’t want to have one, and I don’t have enough time to organize one”

Sweet! He’s really pushing boundaries here. Who else in the world has a guy best friend like him?

“It’s all good” I told him while scanning the rack.

“You’re really so simple” he said.

 I looked at him. “And boring”

He patted my head. “I agree”

As usual, Jiyong picked most of the clothes for me. He doesn’t even ask if I want it, he’ll just hand it to the saleslady who I’m sure, is exhausted after following us in every corner of the store.

“Of course, a baby shower is not a baby shower without gifts for the baby!” he said when we stopped in front of a famous infant store.

Here, you can buy everything a baby needs. From cribs to feeding bottle cleaners. Actually, there’s still a lot of things to buy for the baby.

“We don’t have a sterilizer yet, right?” he asked while looking at a rack.

I nod. “Yeah”

To my shock, he almost bought the whole store. Whatever his hands land on, and whatever cool looking stuff his eyes sees, he wants. I even have to put back some things because I don’t find them worth it. A gem studded pacifier for forty thousand won is insane. That can feed a college student for days!

“Do you think we got all we need?” Jiyong asked, while pushing a cart loaded with so much stuff.

“More than what’s needed” I answered and he smiled at me in satisfaction.

“Yong is going to be ‘THE BOSS’” he said proudly.

My son is very lucky. He got an uncle who loves him so much even before seeing him. This just show how Jiyong will be as a Father. His children will be the greatest kids for he will surely shower them with love.

After all I’ve done, he’s still there, when he could just as easily be cold and unavailable. Up until now, I cannot believe that we were able to go back to what we are. I thought love will ruin us, rather it brought us to a much better place.

We came home with a lot of things. Jiyong even have to go back to his car twice just to get everything. My feet are aching from walking too much and I feel exhausted. I’m happy though, because I get to bond with my best friend again. This day is truly memorable.

The moment we settled in, all I want to do is lie down in bed and rest. I’m all good not eating dinner for I ate more than I usually take in a day a while ago. But of course, Jiyong forced me and even brought the food in my room so that I don’t have to walk anymore.

“This is for you” he handed me an envelope.

Curiosity building up inside me, “What’s this? If it’s money, I’ll give it back because you don’t have to give me any” I’m about to hand it back when he gently pushed my hand away.

He hissed. “There’s none inside”

“Then what?”

Smiling sweetly, “Just open it once I’m out of here”

And that’s what I did. I carefully opened the envelope and pulled out a ripped out lyric notebook page.

               

                 My dearest Areumie,

Remember when I used to write you letters back when I was too busy to even talk to you on the phone? The ones that I leave at your bedside table before I head to work. Most of them doesn’t have sense, for I will just write random thoughts on it, and some are too dramatic because of too many emotions playing me. Now, I’m writing to you again because I’ve read on the pregnancy book that good words, makes a pregnant woman happy and heightens their self-esteem. But because I feel shy doing it personally, I’ll just put it on paper.

Here it goes…

You have been a true light in my life. For twenty years, you made my every day fun and colorful. I know being with me can be really stressful but you stayed and I’m so glad you did. I don’t know if you can still remember, but I once told you that from our day one being friends, I can already feel that we’ll be together for a very long time, if not forever.

Areumie, a lot has happened these past months. We risked our friendship for love and failed to get through, but things do happen for a reason and we are stronger than ever now. I know you just did what has to be done. Yes, my heart was shattered in pieces when you broke up with me, but it will never make me stop loving you, so don’t hate yourself for it anymore. Even if you don’t say it, I know that you feel like a failure for being knocked up. Let me tell you this, you are not a failure.

Being a mother is challenging. You’ll sacrifice a lot and do a lot for Yong, but there’s no need to worry or fear because I will be here all throughout your journey, whether you like it or not. You now have a life full of meaning and worth living, so please, cruise happily through it. Your insecurities show every now and then. Oh Einstein, you’re perfectly imperfect, but you are perfect to me.

You will be a good mother. You have a tendency of being a crazy one and once again, there’s nothing to worry for uncle Jiyongie will save Yong’s sanity.

PS: Don’t make it so awkward for us tomorrow morning. If you want to say thank you, just send me a text message.

                                                                                                                                                                                                 Love,

                                                                                                                                                                                               Jiyongie

                                                                                ****