...66

The Last Single Girl

 

Life is full of twists, just go on and work it.

“Aden?”

The moment I opened my eyes, I saw him. I’m in a hospital bed.

“Hello” he said “You suddenly became the patient”

I sighed. “I don’t know what happened to me. Last time I checked, I’m healthy”

Well, there are a lot of possible reasons why I passed out after meeting Hong Shik. 1. I may be hungry. 2. I may be stressed. 3. I may be shocked from his revelations that my system wasn’t able to take them well.

“You are healthy” he said, making me sigh in relief. I cannot be sick. “However, you need to be healthier”

Ok. That’s not easy, but not hard either.

Dr. Miller stared at me. Then after a while, gave me a curios look. “You didn’t know” he said.

Confused, “What?”

His surprised reaction made me nervous for some reason. “Areum, you’re pregnant”

The moment I heard this, I almost lost consciousness. Wow! This day is full of surprises! I wish I was given a memo to prepare for it.

Out of words, all I can do is stare in front of me. I’m zoned out. I haven’t gotten over Hong Shik, telling me that it’s impossible for him to be Yong’s Father, and here comes another big blow.

“Are you sure?” I asked, half-wishing that he’s not.

He smiled. “Dr. Oh did a blood test, suspecting that you’re low blood or anemic. When the result came out, it turns out that your hCG levels high, and what does that mean? ‘You got a bun in the oven’”. The way he breaks this to me is so light, I don’t feel panic at all.

After about five minutes, “!” I break loose. I pulled myself up. “It seems like Jiyong got me twice”

Actually, I don’t want to assume just yet, that he’s Yong’s Father even though all arrows are pointing clearly at him. However Hong Shik’s one percent may have worked. I guess the best way to do to now is a paternity DNA testing. It is complicated in some level, but that’s the only way to the truth.

To get Dr. Miller out of confusion, I told him about Hong Shik and his infertility.

“One percent is far from possible. Its count wouldn’t even make it far. The will die right after they’re released. But, there is still a small window of possibility, though I haven’t heard a case of success in that rate yet”

His statement made me lean on Jiyong more.

“I keep a menstrual calendar. I note every time I have a ual activity. Dr. Nam and I are so sure that it was Hong Shik” I told him.

“You might’ve skipped a day or two, Areum”

All right. Dr. Miller is hitting point after point. If only I can remember if I skipped, it would’ve been great. Unfortunately, I can’t, for it’s been over a year already. The calendar isn’t with me anymore. I threw it out while cleaning my old apartment for our move out.

“The best way is to do a DNA testing. It will give you solid proof” Dr. Miller said, and all I can do is stare at him.

Seriously, Jiyong getting me pregnant is giving me chills. In this pregnancy, I’m sure he’s the Father of the baby, and I honestly don’t know what to do. Telling him about it will definitely change everything. His marriage to Lena is going to be on the rocks even before it starts moving forward. That girl will surely make things so complicated for me. She’ll probably cause trouble. If there’s one thing I want in this pregnancy, it is for me to be at peace.

“You’re four weeks pregnant!” Dr. Lim, my OBGYN, said after the ultrasound. “The embryo looks good. Your bleeding a while ago may be caused by stress and fatigue” she smiled at me. “You know how you are when pregnant, Areum. You’re not that fit to work, especially when you’re so hectic”

Oh no! I couldn’t take another year off from work. During my first pregnancy, I was so bored doing nothing. Thank God for Dami Unnie and Jiyong, they kept me sane.

“You’re still here!” I’m shocked to see Dr. Miller outside Dr. Lim’s office, waiting for me. I thought he’ll go home already after he walked me to the office.

He stood up from the steel chairs and got my things from me. “You need someone who will take care of you. At least until you figure out what to do”

It made me smirk. “I swear, I can manage”

He shook his head. “No you can’t. I will take care of you, and that’s final. Push me away all you want, I will not budge”

Ladies, good men hasn’t ran out yet. Chivalry isn’t dead. There are just some who chooses to be a douche bag, but trust me, there are still good ones.

While walking out to the parking lot, “From now on, I will go to your place after every shift” he said.

I stopped walking, and he did too. “You don’t need to” I told him.

He sighed. “Your pregnancy is sensitive. Dr. Oh told me that when you were pregnant with Yong, you also had spotting, and that you were even requested on be on strict bed rest”. I must say, he really cares for me. “Given that you have a toddler, it would be hard for you to keep up with him without risking the baby. I can babysit while you rest. I’ll clean your apartment, wash your dishes and do other chores too”

Honestly, I’m in bad need for help right now. During my first pregnancy, I have the family to take care of me and do things I can’t, for me. Now, even though I’m itching to tell them about this new blessing, I came up with the decision to not say a word. All because I don’t want to mess things up again.

Don’t be in rage. The reason why I don’t want to tell them, is because I’m sure Jiyong will cancel his formal wedding and wriggle out of his marriage carelessly. Lena will surely hunt me down and might even result to doing something to ruin my pregnancy, and if that happens, I don’t know what I will do to her. I might even kill her.

We arrived at my apartment past midnight and I invited Dr. Miller for tea, while I drink a glass of milk.

“Not telling him will put you in a difficult situation, Areum” he said, after I told him about my decision.

I sighed. “I know. But, I don’t want to wreck a marriage”

“What are you planning?” he is looking straight at me. I feel pressured.

I shrugged. “Go somewhere far from here. As much as I hate it, I know I have to stay away from them to be able to keep the peace”

“But that means cutting ties with them. If not forever, for a very long time” he reached for my hand on the table. “I have an idea. You may not like it, but it’s the only way I can think of to keep the family you’ve known for so many years”

Given that Dr. Miller is a great thinker, there’s a huge possibility that I might like his idea. And if going by it means I get to keep the family, Jiyong included, I’m more than good to push through it.

“Let’s say I got you pregnant.  I will take your child as mine. We can go to Chicago and stay there throughout your pregnancy and go back here after you give birth if you wish” he squeezed my hand. He got this look that is assuring. He’s making this sound as if it’ll work smoothly. “Don’t worry, I will only play as your lover. I won’t force us to be real”

So, he will take responsibility of my baby. Tell everybody it’s his. That way, Jiyong is free from it. We may have to lie about the baby’s age, a little sketchy, but doable. Leaving the country is the best way. There, I can start a new life and finally learn how to live on my own and can still be in contact with the family.

“Jiyong might find a glitch in this” I started backing out. “He knows our score. He also know that I’m not the kind who will leave my life here just to be with someone somewhere unless it’s him”

Of course, I have to think outside the box. Jiyong knows me too well. He will look for glitches in my stories and reasons. Soon after, he will bust me. If I were to agree with Dr. Miller, we have to polish this plan perfectly.

“I am your rebound. You ran to me after knowing his marriage. Something happened to us” Dr. Miller seemed to have this in the bag. “You’re heartbroken. You have me on your tail. So, you recklessly take me”

After a few minutes, I agreed. I know this might go wrong, but I’ll take the risk, just for me and the children’s peace. Time will only tell when these lies will unravel. For now, I’m going to live by it, for everybody’s sake.

Two days in and I’m beginning to feel the swing of pregnancy. My morning sickness is still tolerable, but I’m always sleepy, which is not the case during my first pregnancy.

“Oh gosh!” I rushed to the bathroom and throw up. I can still remember the times Jiyong holds my hair up. He will complain how disgusting it is, but will continuously be there for me.

All of a sudden, my mood changes. From being normal, to feeling extremely emotional (the curse of pregnancy).

While rubbing my not-yet bulging stomach, “I’m sorry I can’t give you a Father”

Thinking that I will have another Fatherless child is hurting. If only things aren’t as complicated as they are.

“Anybody home?”

My drama moment was disturbed by Dami unnie who barged into my room with bags of groceries in hand.

“Good Morning!” I greeted.

Ever so lively, “Good Morning!” she flashed her beautiful smile, making me smile as well. “Someone’s back from Paris!”

And I’m not ready for him. Jiyong walked in with large paper bags in hands. He put them down on the floor and stood in front of me with narrow eyes. “Something is not right” he said, then moved my head from left to right, holding my chin.

“Is it just me or did you lose weight” he asked. He hold my arms and used his hand to measure it. He sighed. “Are you starving yourself once again? Yah! If Yong lost weight too, I’ll lose my marbles”

I rolled my eyes at him. “Go and check him out yourself. He might even be heavier than you”

If only this man knows that the reason for my weight loss is my being so picky with food, caused by pregnancy, he’ll flip out. Like my first, there are only a few I like to eat. My staple food these days are oatmeal (as usual), sweet fruits, butterscotch cookies, and skittles.

“I miss you two bickering” Unnie said, on our way out to the living room.

I chuckled. “He’s still so childish”

She knocked the back of my head lightly, “Same as you!”

Ok. I’ll shut my mouth now.

After playing with Yong who woke up wonderfully because of his ‘Appa’s’ happy greeting, Jiyong prepared our breakfast. The smell of onions and garlic is making my stomach turn. I’m just holding up.

“Excuse me” I really can’t take it. Eating the food he prepared is going to be another problem.

Half an hour later, our food is ready and the table is also set. Jiyong insisted to feed Yong, while I try to swallow the Kimchi fried rice he made.

“I bought you a dress” he told me, after cooling down Yong’s food.

I sighed. “You should’ve not bothered. I bought one already”

He smirked. “It’s too plain for me. The one I bought is very beautiful”.

Unnie laughed, making us look at her. “Areumie, your dress is more beautiful than Lena’s I saw both dresses and without a doubt, yours is truly breathtaking”

I will not even argue with that, because it came from Dami Unnie herself. It’s just so crazy because Lena might take it badly.

“Where is your wife?” I asked, and his happy face turned into a smug.

Unnie smirked. “She’s with her friends and family in Jeju”

I looked at him in disbelief. “Shouldn’t you be there? Yah! You should be kind to your new family. It’s the time you can bond with them” I scolded, earning a smirk from him. “Show them even a little care”

Jiyong suddenly became serious. “Respecting them is enough for now. I don’t want to force myself to do everything all out at once. It’s draining”

I get him, and I feel bad that I scolded him. I just want to make him realize that they are part of his family now. And, he should be in good terms with them.

After that, awkward air brushed us until the end of our meal. It only faded when Yong started showing off his new skills – studying on his own, walking a few steps and laughing once he falls down on the floor, dancing, and saying ‘Hey! Ho! Go!’ with swag (Dami Unnie taught him).

“This is how you do the fist bump” Jiyong is on the play mat with Yong, right in front of me.

Like always, whenever they’re together, they’re inseparable. Yong follows Jiyong even when he’s going to the toilet. He obeys him without fail. They are so attached to each other, it’s just awesome.

“Who’s our baby?” Jiyong asked Yong playfully. “Raise your hand if you’re our baby!”

My son raised his hand with a gleeful squeal. “Ong!” he shouted, pointing at himself “B!” B!” he shouted, making all of us laugh.

“What does that mean?” Jiyong asked me.

I chuckled. “Baby”

“Aigoo…you know a lot already” he Yong’s head carefully and sweetly.

For a minute, I’m just staring at the boys. I noticed that Yong resembles Jiyong sideways. Their eyes are alike when smiling. This is weird, because I really don’t see these before.

Can it be? Is Jiyong his Father? It’s unbelievable that I’ve mistaken, but the possibility of it is huge right now.

“Appa loves you so much, Little Man” Jiyong and Yong has been ‘talking’ for a while now. Actually, Jiyong cannot understand most of what Yong is saying, but he’s so enthusiastic and into their conversation.

After giving birth to Yong, in my eyes, he somewhat resembles Hong Shik. The shape of their faces are the same. Though the Kwons have noticed Jiyong and Yong’s resemblance at an early age, I’ve always seen a little my Father in him. I suddenly realized, maybe I see him differently from others because I don’t want to confuse myself on who my son’s Father really is. If only I know this time will come, I should’ve confused myself earlier and found out the truth right away.

I need to get this cleared as soon as possible.

On my seat, I started plotting my plan. I need a Buccal sample from Jiyong. How? I don’t know. It’s tricky. He might suspect something is going on if I randomly ask him to rub a Q tip on the inside of his cheeks. His used toothbrush can do. Most of the time, blood samples are used, but according to my study and what I’ve been taught, it’s not as accurate.

“All right” I clapped my hand to get Yong’s attention.

It’s time for bed and he’s still so active. I blame the chocolate mallows Jiyong gave him for dessert.

“We’re going to clean your mouth and brush your teeth” I told my son, and he buried his face on Jiyong’s chest.

“He doesn’t like it” I mouthed at him.

He chuckled. “Let me handle it”

Energetically and comically, Jiyong lived Yong to the bathroom. He put him down on the countertop near the sink, while I watch them from behind.

Turning to me, “Do you have another one of this?” Jiyong asked, showing me the small toothbrush.

“Yeah” I replied “It’s in the second drawer to your left” I pointed.

And they are brushing their teeth. Jiyong told Yong to follow him, which he did willingly.

“Oh!” I gasped. My eyes go big.

I have Jiyong’s sample already, and it’s the toothbrush he’s using! My gosh! It seems like God is truly helping me in finding the truth. There’s no need for me to think of other ways to get a sample, for it’s laid out to me already.

“Done!” Jiyong said to Yong and kissed him on the lips. “Good boy!”

“Ah!” I rushed beside him when he’s about to throw the toothbrush he used in the bin.

He looked at me weirdly. “What’s the matter?”

I got the toothbrush from him and smiled. “I’ll clean this up. You change Yong’s clothes instead”

Phew! I almost lost my sample.

Once out of sight, I get a Ziploc, and put in the toothbrush. In another, I put Yong’s toothbrush. All I need now is to get this to the hospital.

“Aden!” I called him right after. He’s about to stop by tonight. “I’m on my way there” he said.

I nodded. “Jiyong is here”

Silence.

He cleared his throat. “Should I go home or can I still go there?”

In a whisper, “I got the samples. They just need to be at the hospital tonight”

Dr. Miller agreed to bring the samples to the hospital for the testing to get started. I cannot be thankful enough.

While waiting for him, I decided to join Jiyong and Dami Unnie in the living room. They are watching a tennis match over wine and organic cheese and crackers.

“Yong fell asleep only a few minutes after I tucked him in” Jiyong told me, while settling on the single couch opposite him. “I bet he’s tired with all the playing he did”

Unnie chuckled. “A while ago, I was watching the two of you play, and I can’t help but notice….” she glanced at me then back to Jiyong, “You and Yong resembles each other so much now”

My heart started beating fast. I guess the universe is playing a prank on me.

Cautious, “I don’t know, but the older Yong gets, the more he looks like Jiyong. I can see myself in him too. Mind you…” she emptied her glass of wine, “I’m not the only one who say this”

Please! This is messing me up.

No one from Jiyong and I was able to react. My mind’s floating that I’m pretty sure nothing sensible will be produced by it.

After some time, Jiyong chuckled, and my eyes darted to him. “Yong and I are well bonded. We’re always together. In one way or another, our tight bond radiates physically. He may get my facial expressions and mannerisms too”

Nice explanation. This is him, obviously ruling out the possibility that he may be my son’s Father.

Before I can even vocally agree, the doorbell rings. “It’s Aden” I told them, rushing to the door. “He’s going to borrow some books for a study” I lied.

“Hi!” Dr. Miller greeted the Kwon siblings.

They welcomed him warmly. He and Jiyong shook hands.

Nervously, I dashed to my room and put the samples in a bag. I stuffed it with a couple of books (that I borrowed from Dr. Miller for a study months ago), to make it look heavy and full.

“Everything’s already in here” I told him.

He nodded. “Thank you”

Dr. Miller and I are acting and we’re doing a good job. I’m just so fortunate to have a friend like him.

“I better get going” he said after a while “I still need to study for a major surgery”.

Seriously, he’s acting so well. He’s so effective.

Jiyong was the one who walked him out. I was about to do it, but Yong woke up all of a sudden. Oh well, Dr. Miller knows what to do with the samples anyway. I’ll just check on him later.

As the night gets deeper, my energy level is near to draining. I only had an hour nap for the whole day, when pregnant women naps almost the whole day away. It really is a task to stay up.

“Thank you for today” Jiyong said before leaving.

I awkwardly patted his shoulder. “Any time”

The cold air is too much to handle. We were fine around other people, but when it’s just the two of us, it’s a different story.

“Areumie” he called.

Looking into his eyes, “Jiyongie”

To my surprise, he pulled me for a tight hug.

                                                                                                                                                       ****