...93

The Last Single Girl

 

JIYONG

Having my family with me after so many years of looking for them makes me the happiest. Who knew our paths will cross when I’m so near to giving up on them already? We can call it fate, but it’s too real to be true. They’re finally here, and I don’t have to worry anymore.

“You got to be careful, Jiyong” Hyun Suk Hyung said with a sigh. He called me to his office for a short talk. “There’s not much at stake with regards to your career, I know, for you’re already established. The reason why you have to keep all this down for a while is for your kids. You know how bad chaos can affect them. They will be feasted on that’s for sure. But of course, this will still affect your image, but it is what it is. We can always fix you”

All are true. My career will get a big blow once the truth about my secret family comes out. Then again, it’s not as important as keeping my kids’ privacy intact. I will do everything for them not to be shattered in pieces by the media.

After a minute of thought, “To be honest Hyung, I want it out as soon as possible. I mean, with the truth known there won’t be a problem taking my kids anywhere anymore. I don’t have to hide myself or pretend that I don’t know them in public like what happened in the plane and at the airport a while ago”. Recalling the memory breaks my heart. I hate the feeling of them near me yet I feel so distant. “I’m torn between being careful and careless because I feel like the longer I keep them, the tougher things can get”

Hyun Suk Hyung leaned forward and stared straight at me. “It’s your call Jiyong. I’m just waiting on the sides for your cue. But in my opinion, I think you should give it a little more thought. Talk it out with Areum. This is not for only you to decide” he finished with a warm smile.

Of course Areum will have a say on this as well. I will lay out all my thoughts and make her see my point clearly, hoping we can be on the same page.

“Oh! By the way, I decided on giving Lena a shot”. This doesn’t surprise me. I don’t have anything against it as well because as Areum said once, I should let Lena find her niche, maybe this way she wouldn’t need to feed off me and leave me already. “Your wife is too pushy. She keeps on coming here and making appointments to talk to me. I agreed on meeting her and there she showed her willingness to learn and work hard. She’s very straightforward, she told me what she wanted without second thoughts. She knows what she wants Jiyong, and I can see in her that she’s going to do what it takes to get it”

With a sigh, “And what is it that she wants?” I asked with not much interest.

“A modelling and an acting contract” Hyung answered and handed me a folder, “I made her sign that day”

A two year contract under YG Entertainment and YGK plus. She’s to get eighty percent of the negotiated talent fee in every project she’ll get, a big amount of money compared to what newbies usually get. Hyun Suk Hyung really made a big deal with her.

“Aren’t you investing too much on her Hyung?” I keep on reading the contract that is blowing my mind, “You will send her to New York for special training” I chuckled, “I love that, but isn’t it too much?”

I will not lie, with Hyun Suk Hyung sending Lena to New York, things will surely be smoother and easier for me here. The thing is, I don’t see in Lena a great potential when it comes to working in any field, most especially when she’s not used to being a follower anymore. That woman has lived, for years, with almost everything she desires within reach, making me doubt if she can lower herself to when she’s got nothing but a dream to strive hard for.

“Jiyong just see this as part of the plan to make life easier for you”. This moved me. Though I know that Hyung cares for me a lot, I’m not expecting him to help me this much. “I know how difficult things will be with Areum and your kids here. Not to mention Lena who is sure to give you the hardest time. Sending her away is not an answer to your problem, but it will help you fix everything up without hitches. Two years is enough time for you to clean out and come out”

What a great heart Hyung has. If I were to handle my matters all by myself, there’s a huge possibility of me screwing it up. I’m so lucky to have people who are more than willing to help, giving me enough confidence to get through whatever obstacle I might face.

After an hour or two in YGE, I head straight to Areum’s apartment where I’m planning to stay for a few days. My innards are flipping in excitement to be reunited with my whole family again. Maybe by now Areum’s eyes are already swollen from crying, while my Parents are overwhelmed with how the children have grown, and Noona, maybe she’s too emotional to even let reality sink in.

Like what I have imagined, they are too emotional. Noona is on top of it all, she told me she’s about to go crazy with the different emotions playing her. Omma and Appa cannot believe that their grandchildren are just an arm reach. Areum on the other hand, still feels as if she’s dreaming.

In the middle of dinner, the doorbell rang. I wonder who it is. As far as I can remember, I didn’t invite the boys over even when they want to come just to see how our family reunion will be like.

“Did you tell anyone about Areum?” I asked Noona before standing up to open the door. “Maybe one of the boys decided to come over” Omma said, making me look at her curiously.

Walking to the door, the smile on my face won’t disappear. I’m on a high by the fact that my whole family is finally dining together, a thought I’m losing hope that will happen.

“Hel….” I froze

“Hey Babe!” Lena is in front of me. Her hair now cut into a bob, making her age a couple of years. It’s obvious that she prepared well for this meeting, looking so proper, dressed in a body hugging pastel blue dress.

“W…w…why are you here?” my head is mixed up. This is not how I want Areum and the kids’ first day to go. The kids are not supposed to meet their ‘stepmother’ this early.

She hissed, her arms crossed across her chest. “How can you not inform your wife that you’re already home? How can you not invite her to your family reunion? Seriously Jiyong, you’re purely being mean”. Lena is talking casually, when she’s like this I can’t help but be annoyed.

“I thought you’re in Japan with your Dad?” I reasoned out, “And, as if I tell you my whereabouts”. She hissed, “Even so, you should’ve told me” Lena’s attitude is stinker than ever that all I want is for her to disappear in thin air. Keeping my cool, “How did you know that I’m already back and that I’m here in Areum’s apartment?” I’m guessing she saw my arrival on the internet. What intrigues me is how she knew where I’m at.

I didn’t get a respond from her. Instead, she pushed me back and confidently walked inside, welcoming herself in the apartment. The living room hints that there are kids because of the toys lying on the couch and on the carpeted floor.

“So it’s real” Lena faced me, her left eyebrow raised, “You really found your kids and brought them here”. Well, I guess there’s no need to hide anymore. To whom she knew about me finding my kids, I don’t know, but this might be better than keeping a secret from her. I take a deep breath and nodded, “They were in Chicago all along” is my simple reply. She managed to pull out a smile, “Is their Mother here as well?” I knew she’s going to be more concerned of Areum than the kids. Lena’s competition is not them in the first place, it’s their Mother. Without hesitation, “Yeah. Of course she’s here!” I said, “I won’t have the kids if she didn’t come with them”

At that point I know Lena is starting to fume. For years she thought her greatest and strongest rival is finally out of the game. This woman doesn’t love me at all and is only sticking with me because of the unlimited luxury I give to her, but now that Areum and the kids are already here, I’m sure she’s starting to strategize how to keep me for herself. I have a strong feeling that she will do everything not to share anything to them, which I will not allow to happen. Not to mention, she hates Areum more than anyone, a fact that she’s truthfully vocal to me about.

“Ji…” all of a sudden, my heart seemed to stop. Areum came out of the dining room, all smiles. “Oh!” she froze in place upon seeing Lena.

“Hi there!” Lena faked a smile and walked towards Areum. My innards are flipping. “You’re back!” her voice is strong. “I completely thought you’ve ran away with that Doctor. What’s his name again?” Lena asked me. Tensed, I glanced at Areum whose face hardened. I cleared my throat, “Aden” I answered, “They didn’t run away though. He just helped her start a new life”. A loud sarcastic laugh came from Lena, “Oh Jiyong, I think you’re being a fool again. You believe her too much!” then she walked closer to Areum with confidence, “I bet you’re done with your Doctor that’s why you came back. You can’t seem to live without a man. Now, I’m sure as heck that you’re going to try snatching a MARRIED MAN by using your damn kids”

“Oh Lena, you haven’t changed. You’re still the I ultimately hate I know” Areum is untouchable. From shock, she shake off to being fierce. “What are you going to do if I tell you that you’re right?” she gave out a teasing smile, “I’m here to get your HUSBAND” with a soft chuckle, “No. Let me change that…” she leaned closer to Lena, their faces only inches away from each other, “I’m here to get back the man you snatched from me. The man that is originally mine. The man that’s never yours to begin with. THE MAN YOU NEVER OWNED”

                                                                                                ****