...97

The Last Single Girl

Love is about compromise. As they say, it takes two to tango. In order to make things better, and to come up with right decisions, communication is the key, without it, there’ll be no understanding.

“You kids are all sweaty and dirty” I can hear Lena clearly as I’m approaching them, the tone of her voice is as if she’s so disgusted by them which annoyed me to the core.

“Mom!” the kids rushed to me the moment they saw me. I welcomed them with a forced smile on my face.  Emma gestured for me to bend down so she can whisper in my ear, “She’s here” she said. I guess I don’t have to ask what she feels towards her Father’s wife, for it’s so obvious on her face that she’s very much afraid of her. I can also tell this early that it’s going to be difficult to have her around them.

I Emma’s cheek, “It’s all good my love”. To be honest, I’m not confident that this unexpected visit is going to be good, simply because we are talking about Lena here, right off we know she’s trouble.

I’m having mixed emotions about this, I cannot even point out what’s more dominant, anger or fear, so I just gathered myself up and prepared for a possible battle, that I think I basically have to do every now and then, especially with Lena being visible and present nowadays.

“Hi!” I greeted as civil as I can be. I may be a to her, but I still got my manners, most especially when my children are around. She, on the other hand, has forgotten it somewhere. Lena didn’t even look my way.

Upon seeing me, all Jiyong can do is sigh, just like me he’s not expecting this. “So…” Lena confidently gets up from the bench, and finally faced me, “I’m here to get to know your kids” she said to me.

Seriously?

Seems like this girl woke up at the right side of the bed. Did she really just say she wants to know my children? As far as I’m concerned, she doesn’t care about them. What’s with the sudden change of heart?

Jiyong is surprised by this as well, his eyes got big hearing what his wife said, “Look…Lena…” he needs to take control of this. Looking into his eyes and reading his movements, I can tell that a lot of things are going through his mind as of the moment. “What Ji?” his wife turned towards him, hands on her waist, “Are you really going to keep me out of your kids’ lives even when I have all the right to know them and to be known by them?”

Ugh! Her voice is so annoying, even my confused soul cannot take it!

Okay. I get it. She has the right. BUT, she has to consider me (the Mother of her husband’s children) and of course our children to all this. Personally, I’m cool with them knowing each other, after all, she’s now a part of their lives (at least for the meantime), but it has to be well planned by us, adults, for doing it abruptly might not result well. Ethan and Emma are intimidated by her and she can probably tell it herself. I don’t blame my kids though, for she’s coming off really strong to them.

“We already know you Miss” Ethan said all of a sudden, surprising me and Jiyong. All the while I thought he’s just comforting Emma who is hiding behind me. “You are Daddy’s wife, right?” he walked towards her and for another surprising moment, he extended his hand to her like a man, “I’m Ethan Yoon. I’m five years old…going six on September”

In these moments I feel so proud of myself for Ethan’s gesture just shows how well they put my teachings by heart. I may have lied to them about their identities and stole them away from their Father and the rest of the family, but I never lack in teaching them what’s wrong and what’s right.

Jiyong and I looked at each other, in awe of our son. His smile is enough to compliment me of a job well done.

With Ethan’s hand still out, Lena took it with not much interest. This girl might’ve missed out her Parents’ teachings or she’s just not really made to be kind.

And with a little coaxing, Ethan was able to convince his sister who doesn’t seem fine with all that’s happening, to introduce herself as well. Nervously playing with her fingers, she stepped forward, head bowed down. “Go ahead” her brother encouraged her with a gentle rub on the back. She looked at me and Jiyong as if asking for help, “You can do it” Ethan is pushing our little princess the best way he knows how. Finally, “I’m…Emma…Yoon” she said with the sweetest voice I’ve ever heard from her “I’m three” she showed three fingers up to Lena “Going four on August Eighteen”, then she ran back to me in victory.

Don’t even think that Lena’s heart melted by this, because it didn’t. She didn’t show any appreciation nor did she introduce herself formally to them. All she did was fake a smile looking very much entitled. Good thing my children are here, if not, I’ll give her one slap for being so obnoxious.

“Can we go to your apartment now?” Lena isn’t even taming a bit. She is clearly here to ruin my beautiful day.

I really don’t want to spend the day with her. I don’t even want her in my apartment. But, as much as I hate having her, a part of me wants to give her a chance to prove that she can be human after all, not a beast who is always ready for some action.

“No” Jiyong is totally against whatever she’s on “I’m driving you home already” He’s got enough of his wife’s unexpected visit that he’s so eager to get her out of our sight.

Of course, Lena is not to be told. She stood her ground, not shaken at all. “Seriously Ji…what are you afraid of? Are you hiding something from me?” her eyes darted from him to me, “An affair, maybe?”

This woman is testing my patience. How dare she talk about an affair in front of my children? Yes, they don’t know what it means, but they will definitely ask me or Jiyong what it is. How does she think are we going to explain it to them? Oh, it’s when a married man/woman cheats on his/her spouse for another man/woman. It is against the law. An extremely bad sin – this explanation alone is making my skin crawl, what more if they ask for an elaborate explanation? Like, are you and Daddy having an affair?

My children know what cheating is. I even exaggerated it a bit, telling them that any form of cheating is a crime, they’ll go to jail if caught and will never be able to play again. Ever since then they are afraid and won’t even dare to cheat.

“You are really sick in the head, Lena” Jiyong said in a whisper but I heard him.

In the end and mainly because of Ethan who grabbed Lena’s hand, leading her to our building, Jiyong and I were left without a choice. Our son made the decision for us.

In all honestly, I don’t like where this is going. All I can think about is how all this is going to wrap up. As much as I don’t want to be negative, I cannot help it, the chance of it capping off well and peacefully is as small as a grain of salt.

The moment we reach our unit, my heart started beating so fast and my nerves are all shooting up. “I’ve only been here once” Lena is pertaining about her surprise appearance days ago. To Jiyong, “So this is where you stay almost every night for three years” she is staring heavily at him, I find it uncomfortable.

A revelation I must say. Jiyong did tell me that he kept this apartment all these years but he didn’t say that he stays in it every now and then. Now it makes me wonder, is it really that bad to be in one roof with Lena.

Jiyong is close to flaring up. I bet he’s just holding it in for the kids. He didn’t say a word.

Talking to me, “This was his man-cave when you ran away” then she hissed, “I cannot count by my fingers how many times I told him to sell this out. I even tried getting it on the market without him knowing, but he’s too good in busting me out that he was able to stop me even before I make a huge move”

Evil. She’s evil.

Before saying anything, I turned to my children who are silently sitting on the couch, all ears on us. “Guys…” I called, keeping my calm, “Can you do Mom and Daddy a favor?” I bend down to their level, looking intently into their eyes, “Go to my room for a while” I finished.

This conversation with Lena, that I have a strong feeling will turn out for the worst, shouldn’t be heard by them.

“But Mom!” Ethan protested.

“Please guys” Jiyong stepped in and that’s when they obeyed.

There’s nothing much he and I can do to save the day.

“Alright!” I am ready to fire now that my children are out of earshot. If Lena thinks me chicken, I’ll give her a taste of a lion. If before I always back out, I’ve been through so much in the past years to be frightened by her.

Like warriors in a battle, Jiyong and I faced her head on. We may come off weak in her eyes, but the girl is yet to see what we can do together. Well, if you’ve already forgotten, we are each other’s strength. Together, we can fight anything.

Seated at the dining table (I chose to talk in the dining area, far from my bedroom in case there will be screaming and shouting from us, the kids won’t hear it) the three of us prepare for the talk of our lives with Lena sitting alone in front of Jiyong and I.

“How are you doing?” she started off “Are you enjoying so far?”

I take a breath and exhaled slowly, letting go of tension and pent up nerves, “I’m good…never been better” I responded coolly.

She smirked, “I cannot believe you even have the face to go back here Areum” and now she’s starting to fire, “When you left I thought I’m going to be free of my number one rival just to be surprised that you’re back with two more rivals for me…that’s seriously low”

Insane! This woman thinks of even my children as her rivals!

With every bit of my being holding in my anger, “I can only imagine how devastating it is for you to know we’re back” I flashed the fakest smile, “I hope this gave you a wonderful lesson…” I learned forward, “That is…to not be comfortable where you are because you never know when ” I pointed at myself “Will happen”

“YOU!” she was about to attack me when Jiyong swiftly stopped her. “Will you please have a little class?” he told his wife who is breathing heavily like a dog after a long run, “You are not in your turf. Act your age for once. Don’t use violence to win” he just pinned her down.

It took us some time to recover. For my safety, I moved back my chair a little so that I’m far from her reach. The last thing I want is to be scratched by her sharp long nails.

“Okay…” Jiyong is going to lead us through this talk and I have faith in him that he will finish it with no one bleeding. “First of all…” he sighed “My children are not to be rivaled with. They are topmost in my life. I will prioritize them more than anything and anyone in this world”

Eat that girl! Jiyong spilling tea is just so good in the ears.

Still in her fighting stance “Whatever Jiyong” Lena is too tough “Anyway…” she is preparing to dart out again and I’m game for it “Are you two back together again? Cheating on me?”

I feel awkward all of a sudden. I’m lost for words. This made me think, what are we, really?

“Well…” Jiyong seemed so certain of what he’s going to say, that I’m anxiously waiting for it “We are in a…”

“We’re not in a relationship” I suddenly burst out, shocking him.

Don’t get mad at me. You may be thinking, why the heck did Areum tell Lena she’s all in, in snatching her husband from her then now acting like she doesn’t want anything to do with him anymore?

Yes, Jiyong and I seem like we’re together again, we act like it, but in all honestly (or at least just to me), we cannot be labeled anything yet. We share the same feelings, but that’s where it only is for now. Don’t you think it’s pointless to be together when he’s still committed to somebody else?

“Oh yeah?” of course, Lena is skeptic.

I take a breath and exhaled slowly, “Yes. There’s nothing between Jiyong and I”

For a thought, I might be saying all this as a strategy. You get me? To not trigger Lena any further, we can just lie to her.

“You see…” she gave out a fake smile once again “Whatever game you’re starting to play now Areum…I will NEVER back out. I’m my husband’s wife. I got his name. I own him. Unless you kill me…you won’t be Mrs. Kwon”

Isn’t she satisfied yet? They’ve been married for years now, I’m sure as heck she has used him so much for her convenience already. She might’ve saved up so much money to herself, to maintain her lavish lifestyle. Isn’t that enough?

Jiyong is silent all of a sudden. He lost interest, and I blame myself for it. He’s listening to us though.

“Do you really want to know why I’m here?” Lena leaned forward, while I cautiously move back again.

I knew it, she’s not here to get to know Ethan and Emma, she has another agenda. Whatever it is, I’m up for it.

Curious and anxious, “Why are you here then?” I asked.

I looked at Jiyong but his face is still blank. He just stared at me for good seconds then looked away.

“Well…” Lena fished something out of her fancy purse. It’s an envelope.

At this moment I’m fighting with my mind. I don’t know why, but I feel like I’m up for a shock with this. Envelopes can have anything in it, including a pregnancy result. But then again, it’s impossible for Jiyong told me that they are not intimate for a very long time now.

She slides it to Jiyong who doesn’t look intrigued. I moved closer to him, waiting patiently for the letter to be pulled out.

It is addressed to Lena.

“Here” Jiyong handed it to me.

 I looked at him in confusion, “But…”

I’m lost.

He sighed, “I already know what that is”

O…k…a…y

With shaking hands, I unfolded the letter and…

“Oh my!” I gasped.

PETITION FOR DIVORCE AND DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE

He already filed it.

This document is the first step to ‘Freedom’ as some call it. On it, are important information regarding their marriage, and the grounds for divorce.

In this case, these are the stated grounds:

  • UNREASONABLE BEHAVIOR
  • IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES

More than shocked, I am surprised of how fast and bold he was with this. All the while I thought he’s in the process of planning it with his lawyer, that he’s taking his time to condition Lena for what’s to come, but it seems like he’s getting to it like a wrecking ball.

“You’re too sneaky, eh?” Lena is looking straight at Jiyong who is not giving away any emotions at all. Her eyes are like daggers. He smiled, “It’s the only way” then he looked at me proudly. All I can do is look back, still wide eyed.

“I just want to remind you Jiyong…” she is holding her ground though I know she’s close to her boiling point already “This isn’t the first time you did this. It didn’t push through then, it most definitely won’t now”

So what is she going to do this time, threaten him again by harming herself?

Jiyong isn’t shaken by it. He is confident that he got this in the bag. It’s already a win to him.

“Let me ask you two…just…out of curiosity” Lena leaned back, comfortably sitting with her legs crossed, while her eyes bounces to me and Jiyong “If it happens that you get this “freedom” are you going to get married right after?”

Jiyong hissed, “It’s none of your business” he is in the same intensity as his wife now “Once whatever we have ended, you won’t have the right to me at all. I can do whatever I want to do whenever I like it, either I marry Areum right after or not, you’re out of it”

For years I’ve never seen him fight like this. It’s so new, overwhelming even, but applauding.

Cool and still full of swag, he rests his elbows on the table, leaning forward, while tapping his left foot, “I’ll let you take anything you want” he is starting to bargain “You keep the house…your car…even the one I’m lending to your Mother. Also, I’m willing to give you sole access to our joint account. I will tell my lawyer not to even bother splitting up our gained assets while married. You can have it all for all I care…just sign the papers”

What a bargain. It is a big deal, if not the biggest deal I’ve ever known in my existence. Imagine not taking part of everything you worked your off for years, just to give it to somebody who doesn’t even deserve it. Lena might’ve contributed something, all right, but from the stories I’ve heard, Jiyong is the one who invested so much, that it’s crazy of him to just give them all up.

I’m already there, he’s doing all this in hopes that it works for Lena. Thing is, it’s not practical.

Lena laughed, the kind that will give you chills, “You think I’m that petty?” she is really not going down without a fight.

Silence.

Awkwardness.

Disbelief.

Shock.

“I won’t marry him” I blurted out of consciousness.

Jiyong froze. Lena raised an eyebrow.

He looked at me, face washed out, “What?” his darting eyes brought shivers down my spine.

“Jiyong…you don’t understand…”

“What?” he cuts me off “What is it this time?”

Lena got our attention by slapping her hands down hard on the table, making a loud noise, “I guess I’m out of here” she looked victorious. “Ciao!” then she zoomed out of my apartment.

With their divorce papers still in my hands, I scrambled for words to say. I swear, I didn’t mean it to come off like that. Stupid mind. I should’ve blocked it for the meantime.

“Jiyong…” I chased him from the dining area to the living room “Let me explain” I grabbed him by the arm.          

****