...68

The Last Single Girl

 

JIYONG

“Fire away” I said nervously, and stared at her while waiting.

All of a sudden, from a serious face, it turned to a big-bright smile. “You got your best man!”

In disbelief, “Youngbae?” I asked, earning a nod from her. “How…”

She grinned. “I saw him at the hospital yesterday. He just had a flu shot. We had coffee at the cafeteria, and that’s when I told him how bad you want him to be at your wedding. That we should give you this as a consolation of another crazy chapter of your life that is about to begin”

This surprise means a lot. Having my best friends with me is like an assurance that things will go just fine.

“Thank you so much!” I didn’t think twice and hugged her. “It means a lot”

She pulled out. “Happy wedding!”

This is insane. The woman I dreamed of marrying is right in front of me, and I’m married to another woman. I may have brought myself a huge problem and responsibility, but the fact that Areum’s going nowhere and will still be by my side, is what keeps me going.

“Are you sure you don’t want a bachelor’s party?” Noona asked, after I told them that I cancelled it.

I nodded and put Yong on my lap. “I’d rather spend the night with this man than party my off”

Areumie sighed. “You’re missing the fun!”

I looked at her. “This is fun”, then I tickled Yong, making him squeal.

His laughter is enough to uplift my spirit. He’s my light at the end of the darkest tunnel.

An hour passed with me and Yong playing in my room. He’s so fond of crawling around and pulling himself up with the help of every cabinet handles.

“Oh!”

Areumie barged in with a tray of pastries, biscuits and cheese. Noona followed, with a bottle of wine and glasses.

“Don’t you dare spill wine on my sheets” I threatened them.

As expected from the girls, they will take every opportunity to party.

“Yah! Why aren’t you drinking? This is one of your favorites” I noticed that Areumie is only eating biscuits, while Noona and I are almost a glass empty.

Noona smirked. “Her stomach is not good”

Areumie chuckled. “Yeah. I’ve been feeling a little sick since this morning. I don’t want to risk it, you know. Your wedding is tomorrow, if my stomach worsens, I might not make it”

“That’ll be a nightmare for me” I said, and she nodded, smiling.

After two glasses of wine, “I still cannot believe it” Noona is about to go sentimental, I can feel it. “You’re already married. My Dongsaeng. The boy who always make my head hurt. The only kid that can make me lose my marbles in a snap, will put himself in deep , or should I say, is already in deep ”

It made Areum laugh, while I roll my eyes. What a way to boost my spirit up, Noona!

I laughed it off. “Do you guys think Lena and I will still be in good terms? Are we even going to live as a normal married couple?”

To my surprise, Areumie leaned forward and flicked my forehead with so much strength, yet again. “Just be positive. The success of your marriage lies on both of you. If you aren’t up to working it out, consider your marriage, TRASH! You guys have already made a bad decision, don’t make it worst” she smiled at me without a tinge of bitterness. “Change how you treat her. Respect her. Understand her. And, tell yourself over and over again that you need to love her. I know, it’s easy to say but hard to do, and it sounds like I’m forcing you to do it, but it’s the only way”, then she snapped her fingers. “Don’t just see her flaws, but the good in her as well”

Wow! Coming from an ex, this is amazing.

Noona raised her hand all of a sudden as if in class. Areum and I looked at her curiously. “Tell me, you two…” she emptied her glass, gulping hard. “How are you going through this? I mean, I’ve been wanting to ask that question for some time now. I just don’t know how to voice it out”

Looks like our little party will turn into something serious. A minute has passed and none from Areuum and I are answering. She’s busy watching Yong, crawling and standing all around the room, while I just stare at an old picture of us on my work desk.

“Ok” Noona is sensitive enough to feel that we’re not comfortable to talk about it. “Let’s just for….”

“Let him go. He’s got a different life now” Areumie said all of a sudden, cutting Noona off. “I keep on repeating that like a mantra. As much as I want to get away from him, curse him for hurting me, and beat him to death for his stupidity, my love for our friendship still stands out. After all, he never left me during the stupidest and darkest moments of my darn life”. She’s not making eye contact. Her eyes are still with Yong. “Honestly, it’s hard to accept that he can never be mine. That because of a mistake, the beautiful life I’ve pictured in my head with him won’t become real anymore. You might be thinking, why isn’t she fighting for him? Well…” she take a breath and exhaled with a smile. “There’s no need to do so. Destiny has already taken over. I wasn’t the chosen one to be with him, so I’ll just settle as the one who almost did”

I’m speechless. There are things I want to say but they all faded away, like bubbles popping out. The tears in my eyes says it all. I’m regretful and thankful at the same time.

Regretful, because I wasn’t careful enough in making decisions. Thankful, because Areumie is still sticking with me through it all. Her strength and support is what I needed in this unexpected journey. With her behind me, I know I can do well. If not, even better than expected.

“You guys” Noona, who is the root of my tears and killing the supposed to be fun bachelor send off, pulled Areumie and I for a group hug. “I love you both so much, even when you’re two crazy idiots” she said, making us laugh.

Playfully, I pinched their noses. “You girls have to keep me sane at all times. Don’t you dare leave me to do things on my own” I told them.

With me still pinching their noses, Noona pinched our earlobes. “Just promise us that you’ll stop being stupid” she said.

 In the zone, Areumie joined in, pinching our cheeks. “Don’t you dare play around, especially with other girls, including me” she said as a joke, but I know there’s a truth in it.

Looking silly, we laughed our asses off. This night is better than any bachelor’s party out there. I’ve got my most important people with me, and it’s enough to make me happy.

“Oh my!” Areumie pointed behind me. Noona looked at the same direction.

I turned my body. “OMO!”

Yong is already walking. And it’s not just a few steps.

“Is this real or I just had too many wine?” I asked, then laughed at what I just said.

Out of instinct, Areumie and I sit on the floor. I’m behind Yong, while she’s in front of him. Noona, is the one taking a video while comfortably lying on her stomach, on my bed.

“Come to Omma, big guy!” Areumie lured him to walk towards her. “You can do it!” she cheered.

“Oh! He’s wobbly!” I said in alert, alarming Yong.

“ Jiyong! You’re distracting him!” Noona scolded.

Areum and I looked at her, and at the same time said, “Don’t say bad words!”

Embarrassed, she bowed her head down and laughed.

“He’s falling!” Noona is rattling us.

“Seriously wobbly” Areumie’s anxiety if her son is going to make a step or fall on the floor is intense.

As for me, I’m holding my breath. I want to see him walk farther.

“He’s tapping his toes as if thinking if he’ll move forward or continue playing with us” Noona said, making us laugh.

I’m sweating. This is more exciting than my wedding. That by the way, will happen fourteen hours from now.

Desperate, Areumie reached for a slice of cheese. “You want this, big guy? Come! Get it from Omma”

“Aish!” Impatient, I stood up and walked in front of Yong. I jogged on my place, exciting him. “Walk walk walk” I sing, making Yong giggle. “Step step step” I continued.

“He’s standing way too long” Noona said.

I grabbed Areumie’s arm and made her stand. “Just follow me” I told her and we started jogging in place then walking small steps.

“Here we go!” Noona, who is so loud like a commentator in a basketball match, telling us every movement Yong makes.

“WAAAA!!!!” we squealed when Yong started walking.

Seriously, this is a milestone. My Little Man is already walking on his own.

“Woops!” and we all dive in front of him when he’s about to fall, face front of the floor.

                                                    ****