Persevere.

We Are Just Not Compatible
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

47.

Author's Note: Here is 47 guys! It might seem cliche but I promise it won't be! Please leave comments :) Enjoy and thank you for all your love and support. Saranghaeyo <3

 

(Author's POV)

 

            “Omma why don’t you live with harabeoji?” YunHee questioned as they strolled along the orchards. Mrs. Zheng smiled and looked at the bright blue sky. She inhaled then exhaled before returning her gaze to her daughter.

            “Because the city is our home. That’s where I met your father and had you.” She answered. YunHee bobbed her little head and skipped up to where her grandfather stood.

            “Harabeoji!” She squealed hugging him around his legs. The old man let out a heart felt laughter as he patted her head. “I missed you!”

            “Aigoo Yunnie I missed you more! JinAe you guys should have told me you were coming to visit.” He remarked as he scooped his granddaughter up.

            “Abeoji it’s only a quick visit. I came to check on Phoenix and her newborn.” Mrs. Zheng said.

            “Phoenix? Who’s Phoenix?” YunHee pondered tapping her chin.

            “Would you like to meet her?” her mother stated holding her hand out. YunHee immediately jumped from her grandfather’s arms to latch her hand with her mother’s.

            “Wah Phoenix is a horse Omma? Why haven’t I met her before?” YunHee observed the beautiful black mare  before her eyes carefully. It was peacefully resting in its stall. At that moment the light deflected off its body giving Phoenix a glimmering affect.

            “Because Phoenix is Omma’s personal horse. But now that she has gone through labor you have your own.”

            “My own?” Mrs. Zheng pushed her daughter to the neighboring stall where two more horses laid. The bigger one was chocolate brown while the colt contained the same color as Phoenix only this one was much smaller. YunHee’s eyes widened and so did her smile. “Is this one for me?” Her mother nodded opening the fence which boxed the stallion in. Reluctantly YunHee tip-toed inside not wishing to awaken the two creatures.

            She bent down and sat like a frog with her hands on the floor supporting her. She shyly reached out and grazed her fingers against the colt's soft fur. Suddenly the horse jerked its head up and YunHee fell back in surprise. The horse got up on all four wobbling legs and followed her. It leaned in closer as if observing her. YunHee felt her heart pounding against her chest as she raised her hand.

            Ever so slowly she went for the forehead. The horse closed its eyes and lowered its head allowing YunHee to make contact. Once she did the horse returned to its deep slumber. YunHee got up and rejoined her mother. “What do you want to name him?”

            “Mhm I like the name Phoebus. It sounds like his Omma’s name!” she beamed.

            “Phoebus and Phoenix I like that. Aigoo my Yunnie is so smart! Where would I be without you?”

 

..

 

“Appa!” she exclaimed leaping into his arms. “Appa, O-omma she’s… she’s going to be okay right?”

            Mr. Zheng glanced at YunHee then at the crime scene. He her hair and cradled her. “Omma’s in a better place now.” He whispered biting his lip as a few tears escaped his eyes. “A better place.”

            “YunHee-ah we have to go now. Say your final goodbye.”

            “Ani! Harabeoji! I want to stay with Omma. Please.” YunHee pleaded but he shook his head in disapproval. Mr. Zheng sighed with agonizing pain inflicted to his heart as he held his daughter up tossing her over his shoulder. “Appa! Put me down I don’t want to leave! Omma will be all alone! She can’t be without me!” she cried as she watched the open casket of her deceased mother growing smaller and smaller. Her tears were beginning to blur her vision as she wriggled in her father’s arms. “OMMA!”

            It’s been weeks and YunHee was in denial. She was cooped up in her room refusing to come down to have her meals. She told her family that the only time she will eat was when her beloved mother was also at the table. The elders kept quiet because they knew what she was asking for was impossible but none had the heart to tell her so.

            She was a mere child. Living in the city Mr. Zheng soon realized this place, Seoul, the place he once called home was the reason his daughter was still so distraught. This place was a constant reminder of what had happened. One evening he poked his head into her room to find it dark. The curtains were blocking out the sunlight as if it was some infectious disease. At last he spotted YunHee in the corner. She was hugging her knees while rocking back and forth.  

            YunHee’s mind kept replaying the scene for her again and again. It never allowed her to sleep in peace. Her poor seven year old heart could no longer bare the pain she was experiencing. She didn’t know what to do. All she ever did was cry and think about her mother. After performing those things she never had the appetite to eat. She was becoming weaker and fragile as the days progressed.

            She stopped talking entir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter