Do you want to build a snowman?

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Thank goodness Jongdae came yesterday! Soondeok was in so much pain I didn’t know what I could do for her. All I did for the past few days was holding her hands as she grunted in pain and singing to her softly in hope that she’ll feel a bit better. When the butler came in and told me that Jongdae’s visiting us, I was over the moon – I knew Soondeok said doctors can’t deal with her period cramps no matter how, but still, I did hope Jongdae could help her, and he did! He’s visiting our town and stopped by after hearing that I’m stay here. So, he took a look at my wife, took her pulse then started massaging different acupuncture points for her. Immediately, her cramps stopped, and she was in a much better shape than before. Jongdae said it would’ve been better if he could actually use a needle but Soondeok’s too weak for it, if he did it’d probably worsen her condition. In any way, I’m ever so grateful to him for helping out.

We had dinner together, just the both of us, and we had fun catching up – he told me about his clinic and how he wished to build more in other parts of the country to provide health services to the poor. He was so excited when he told me his plan I couldn’t help but envy him so, he’s got a dream and he’s fighting hard for his dream – what about me? I suppose the only dream I have is to live happily with my wife till the day we die, not a big dream but a dream good enough for me I suppose.

Soondeok’s still asleep, indeed she should keep resting, the past 5 days have been awful for her and for me too, I’m glad it’s all over now. Speaking of sleep, I am still tired myself, I can’t stop yawning even though it’s morning. Maybe I should nap a bit myself.

 

Soondeok’s diary

I survived yet another day. So glad it’s finished now. No words can describe my joy at this moment. The prince’s still sleeping, he must’ve been so tired out, he’s snoring quite loudly meaning he’s probably having a super deep sleep at the moment. I mustn’t startle him. The snow stopped, I can’t wait to go out! I want to play in the snow so badly, all I could think of was that when I was in bed the past few days – how the prince and I will walk on the snow together and admire the beauty of nature, and a snowball fight! We’ve never had a snowball fight and I’m dying to have one! And snowman, gosh I want to make a snowman so badly. I don’t know why but I just want to run around right now, maybe it’s because I’ve been forced to stay in bed for days straight. The prince probably won’t let me go out for another few days if I tell him I want to go out, he’d say I’m still to weak for it. Maybe I should sneak out myself for a brief moment, should I? Just then Eun murmured something in his sleep, sleep-talk I presume – he does that sometimes, I can’t always make out what he said, but that’s just the cute side of him I suppose. Time and time again I would still ask myself if he’s really in his twenties when in fact it would seem he’s still 5 years old himself! Yet when he sleeps with me, he’ll suddenly become like another person – a y, charming, handsome man that could kill you by simply breathing. I guess I still love him so, oh what to do? I can’t possibly keep falling deeper in love with him! Where did all the love come from?

------------------------------------------------

‘There you are! Soondeok ah! I’ve been looking everywhere for you!’

‘Everywhere except here, Oppa~’

‘Ya you…gosh…’

‘Catch your breath first, honey.’

‘Deok ah, don’t you ever, EVER do that again! At least leave a note or something when you plan to leave the house, please!’

‘I didn’t know you’d wake up that early… I thought you’d sleep till noon or something.’

(Eun takes off his coat and puts it on Soondeok)

‘It’s freezing out here, Deok ah. Let’s go back.’

‘Oppa, can’t we stay here a bit longer? Please?’

(Finally, Eun nods and sits next to Soondeok, holding her hands)

‘Your hands are so cold, Soondeok ah…’

‘And yours are so hot!’

‘Aigoo…let me warm it up for you.’

(Eun rubs her hands for her)

‘Oppa.’

‘Hm?’

‘I just want to call you, that’s all.’

‘Why?’

‘To be able to call you…and you being able to answer me…how many days like this do you think we’ll get?’

‘Many! I’ll make sure of it. Aigoo, it’s so cold I think your fingers might fall off! You should wear mittens when you come out in the cold, Deok ah…’

‘I’m fine.’

(Eun looks at Soondeok)

‘Your ears...and cheeks…wa…they’re like red! Gosh, that’s it, let’s go home, at this rate you’ll become a snowman yourself!’

‘Oppa. Do want to build a snowman? I do!’

‘Deok ah, your period may be over now but you’re still as frail as any sick person, we’ll come back tomorrow, okay?’

‘I knew you’d say that… Oppa, please? I promise I’d be quick.’

‘You’ll catch a cold if you stay here a second longer and…Ya! Soondeok ah! Come back here!’

(Soondeok runs away and starts building a snowman before Eun can stop her, she starts rolling a huge snowball on the ground)

‘Honey…alright, I’ll help you make one, but we’ll need to get home after that, okay?’

‘Okay!’

‘Here, let me help you with this…boy, you’re making a huge snowman, aren’t you?’

‘Yes, a big one! One as tall as me! Oppa, when I was young, daddy used to make a whole family of snowman in our backyard!’

‘Really? We should make another one then, shouldn’t we?’

‘What for?’

‘For us of course! One snowman for you and one for me! A couple!’

‘Oh! And mother too! And father too! Oh oh oh! And Mongryong too!’

‘Of course!’

--------------------------------------------

‘Beautiful, aren’t they?’

‘Yes Oppa, you did a wonderful job. Ha! I love Mongryong’s one! His cute short legs!!’

‘I think it’s a bit out of shape…it looks more like a pig now than a dog!’

‘Well…it does seem a bit chubbier…but we’ll just say he’s got thicker fur...’

‘Nice one.’

(Soondeok suddenly shuts her eyes as she feels a bit dizzy)

‘Deok ah, you alright?’

‘Yeah, I’m fine…’

‘Let’s go back now, will you be able to walk back into town? No, this won’t do, I’ll carry you.’

‘I’m fine, Oppa, really.’

(Eun squats in front of his wife, smiling as he looks back at her)

‘Come on my little dove~ Hope on the Wangeun carrier~’

(Soondeok chuckles)

‘Do I have to pay for it then, Mr. Driver? Or do I need to buy a ticket?’

‘Just a kiss will do.’

‘That’s a bit expensive.’

‘You call that expensive? Ya, Deok ah, I was going to ask for 5!’

‘5 is a bit cheaper.’

(Eun smiles)

‘Young lady, I’ll give you a cheap ride, just 10 kisses will do!’

‘That is cheap! Alright, 10 kisses for a ride then~’

(Eun laughs)

‘Just hop on already my wife! My legs are shaking from squatting so long.’

(Soondeok giggles as she gets on his back. Eun stands up and makes sure his wife’s feeling comfortable on his back.)

‘Comfy?’

‘Oh yes, warm and comfy…’

‘Let’s go then.’

(The snow’s quite thick and Eun’s having quite a hard time walking back, but still, he’s enjoying every moment he can with his wife in such a gorgeous place. Soondeok giggles as she thinks of something.)

‘What are you giggling about, Deok ah?’

‘Nothing.’

‘It didn’t seem like nothing to me. Come on, tell me.’

‘It’s nothing really, just that…Oppa…you remind me of the time when I was young, that’s all.’

‘How? The snowman?’

‘No…I mean now, with you carrying me in the snow…This exact feeling…Daddy used to carry me on his back…I remember that one time when…when…’

‘What happened?’

‘It’s just that...once… I was really sick in the army camp and we had no doctor there so father carried me all the way to another camp to see the doctor…he walked from morning till nightfall with me on his back that day…not stopping once to rest…’

‘He really loves you, your father…’

‘He does…and I feel sorry for him… for always giving his children so much…’

(Sounds of Eun’s feet crunching the snow)

‘Deok ah. That’s what parents do, there’s nothing to be sorry about. I wish my old man would just do something like that…but anyway.’

‘What about you, Oppa? Do you play in the snow often? You know…as a kid?’

‘I suppose I did. I hate staying inside, that’s why I hate winter – and rainy days too.’

‘Oppa, remember the time you pretended to love me in front of the boys? You know, when your friends came over on a rainy day and called you Mr. Love Expert?’

‘Ah…I remember.’

‘Memories flooded back when I saw your friend Jongdae yesterday…he’s a nice guy. He didn’t change much did he?’

‘You’re right. He is an angel. Well, I suppose there are things that change while others didn’t. Back then I still disliked you but now we don’t have to pretend we love each other anymore because we do love each other, hm?’

‘That’s right…the good old days.’

‘It’s just last year, Deok ah!’

(Soondeok grins. Eun starts to pant a bit.)

‘Oppa…you can put me down if you’re tired…’

‘I’m not tired, honey…you can sleep on my back if you want.’

‘No…I’ll stay awake…I feel super happy now, I don’t want to miss any of it.’

(Soondeok rests her head on Eun’s shoulder comfortably)

‘Really? You’re feeling happy now?’

‘This moment, this second…with you, yes, I’m really happy now, very…I wish time would just stop, I don’t want this to end…’

‘Then should I walk around the town a couple more times before we go back?’

‘No Oppa, you’ll die of exhaustion, I mean, you’re panting already.’

‘I’m not panting! It’s just…loud exchange of breaths, that’s all.’

‘That is panting, Oppa! I’ll walk from here, I’m not dizzy now.’

‘Nope, not going to.’

‘Ya, put me down~’

‘Not going to~’

(Soondeok starts wiggling around and suddenly Eun loses his balance and falls on the snow, both of them crack in laughter as they chase each other around.)

‘Deok ah! What was that for?’

‘I didn’t mean to Oppa~ But it was so much fun when we fell! Oh gosh, Oppa are you alright?’

‘Aish my back…My my…I guess you’re still a little girl. Come on, let’s go back, here.’

(Eun reaches his hands out, Soondeok holds it in response.)

‘Deok ah, tonight-’

‘Can we Oppa?’

‘Hm? I was going to say can we have dinner outside tonight.’

‘Oh…’

(Soondeok looks down in disappointment)

‘Deok ah, what’s wrong? Did I upset you?’

‘Then…after dinner…can we?’

‘What are you talking about? Wait…Oh that? No, you’re still not fine for that, no.’

‘But Oppa, you’ve been waiting for so long…’

‘Honey, you don’t have to worry about me, your health is more important. You’re more important! Okay?’

(Eun kisses Soondeok gently on her head as they walk back to their residence)