Taken Away

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

(Soldiers barges into Eun’s residence in the middle of the day, Eun and Soondeok runs out in the midst of all the fuss)

Eun: WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON?

Soldier: We’re here to take Lady Soondeok.

Eun: Who?

(Soldiers move forward to tie Soondeok up, Eun pushes them away)

Eun: How dare you do such a thing? Why? You must have a good reason to arrest my wife, and I’m not letting ANYONE touch her until I-

Soldier: For deceiving the entire family, Your Highness. Your grandpa called for her to be investigated, saying that she lied about her pregnancy. I’m sorry Your Highness, but I don’t do laws, if you want to do say anything, say it in front of the judge, I’m just in charge of bringing people to the palace for investigation.

(Soldiers again try to inch forward and arrest Soondeok, who this entire time has been hiding behind her husband. Eun kicked one of the soldiers, snatched his sword and points it at the others, not allowing anyone do what they came for)

Soldier: Your Highness!

Eun: If you want to take her, you have to get pass me.

Soondeok: Your Highness! Please stop! I’ll go, I’ll go with them, please drop your sword.

Eun: Honey-

Soondeok: Don’t worry, Oppa, I’ll be fine.

(Soondeok tries to act strong)

Soondeok: It’s just an investigation, Oppa, don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I love you.

(Eun won’t let go of her hands, but Soondeok pulled away in the end, following the soldiers out)

--------------------------------------

(Eun enters the palace to find out what’s going on – he meets with the person in charge of the case after meeting the king, his brother, who can't be able to help him)

‘Just what did my grandpa say?’

‘It’s not as complicated as you think, Your Highness, it’s simply just the divorce law he wants to follow.’

‘The what?’

‘You know, there are seven conditions which one can divorce his wife – Not obedient to the in-laws, childless, adultery, jealousy, disease, talking too much and theft. Your grandpa has every right to ask for a divorce between you and Lady Soondeok if she’s indeed childless by your 3rd wedding anniversary.’

‘But she’s with child! She is!’

‘I also don’t understand why your grandpa wants this to be investigated, family issues should be solved within the family, in my opinion, nonetheless, I’m in charge of this now and I have to do my job.’

‘Is there anyway to…not make the divorce happen?’

‘Your Highness…are you saying that Lady Soondeok really isn’t pregnant?’

‘I…I love her, sir, I can’t let her go like that.’

(That man remained silent for a good time, then finally spoke)

‘Well, you know…there are laws that might help you. Laws that forbid people from divorcing his wife, if you find one that fits your situation, you can use that to defend your marriage.’

‘What are those laws?’

‘Um…like, she has no family to return to or her parents have passed away.’

‘Her family is alive and well…’

‘Yes, Your Highness. Also, one about having observed a full, three-year mourning for a parent-in-law.’

‘Does my father count?’

‘I’m afraid not in this case, since it’s been less than 3 years since the late king has ascended.’

‘Anything else?’

‘One where her husband was poor when they married but is now rich.’

‘Darn it…Is there NOTHING else?’

‘Not a written law but I remember a case that happened a couple of years back when the husband asked for a divorce but the wife wants to stay with her husband, that case was pretty much a simple one. However, the wife gave evidence that her husband was found to have committed adultery, and with the backing of Confucius’ words, she fought for her rights and the man was eventually punished, not allowed to divorce her for the rest of her life.’

‘Confucius? Is that allowed?’

‘We’re a country who follows traditions based on that great man himself, that’s how our laws were written, basing on the very words of him. Of course I’m not encouraging you to commit adultery now just to save your wife-’

‘Wait…Mi-ah…grandpa’s winter residence…hold on! I already have!’

‘I beg your pardon, Your Highness!’

‘Evidence! What kind of evidence will be enough?’

‘I…witnesses’ account, I suppose, but Your Highness, are you really going to-’

‘I’ve got to go now, when’s the hearing?’

‘It’ll be in 3 days’ time.’

‘That’ll be enough for me!’

‘Your Highness-’

-----------------------------------

‘Your Highness, you did what?’

‘Butler, listen to me, this is very important and I need your help!’

‘But I can’t just visit to your grandpa’s winter villa and go around the town asking “Who’s seen the 10th Prince sleeping with another woman while he was staying here with his sick wife?” I can’t do that, Your Highness, I can’t!’

‘Shh! You don’t have to! The entire household knows, just bring some maids and servants here. Oh, and I remember that night, many came – soldiers! Grandpa barged into our room with lots of soldiers! Soondeok and I put up a great show too, I remember, there’s no way those people will forget about it. Just bring them all here to the capital before the court hearing, please.’

‘I…’

‘I’ll give you a raise, if that’s what you want.’

‘Your Highness…it’s not that. I mean, that was your wife you have in bed with you back then in fact, but other people won’t know, your reputation will plummet!’

‘I don’t care about my reputation! I have no reputation to begin with, don’t you know?’

‘Your Highness-’

‘A prince who’s not good in anything, who can’t study, who can’t fight, a son who’s reckless, I don’t want to be labelled as a husband who can’t protect his wife.’

‘But you’ll be labelled as a husband who cheated-’

‘YOU GET MY POINT! Now go or you won’t make it back in time!’

‘Yes, Your Highness, if this is what you truly want, I shall go without delay!’

-----------------------------------

Eun’s diary

Will I be able to do it? Will I be able to save my wife? What went wrong? Everything was perfect, we fooled everyone, who was it that grandpa got to know about Soondeok’s condition, that fact that we’re faking it? In a way, I’m relieved that I’ve found a way out, if everything works well, my wife and I can stay together forever, but then there’s this level of uncertainty which I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing or if my plan will actually work. I pray it’ll work. I miss my wife, I tried to meet her but I’m not allowed to, I hope she’s warm enough, I hope she can sleep well, though I can guarantee I won’t be able to catch a glimpse of sleep before that big day.

[Recap: You may want to recap what happened by reading Chapter 100 'Escaping' again ^.^]