I'm getting impatient

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Guess who’s going to go to the north market tonight! We’re going there tonight after dinner! I begged and begged and begged Soondeok and finally this morning she said yes! Nothing beats a night market date on Friday evening, right? I’ve come to realize that I’ve missed so much fun not bringing Soondeok out as often as I could in the past, imagine how awesome it would’ve been if we had!

Soondeok’s slowly remembering things now, though most of the time the result wasn’t as nice as we expected. She’d take a day or two before she can re-accept her ‘new’ memories as part of herself everytime she remembers something new. My wife’s very cute when she blushes as the old memories flush back, it’s mean for me to say this but I like seeing her suffer this way, her reaction’s too adorable.

You know, I’ve been thinking, should I take Mongryong back from my aunt? Because we’ve been away from the house for so long, mother sent Mongryong to my aunt as she thought Mongryong will be too bored in this house and fair enough, aunt need some kind of companion as well. If Mongryong comes back, will it help trigger Soondeok’s memory to return as well? Maybe I should talk to mother about it. I miss him too, to be honest, thinking about his short little legs and his cute little as he runs in the garden makes me want to hold him again.

There’s something on Soondeok’s mind, something new, something different, something she can’t bring herself to tell me. I don’t know what but I sure hope it’s not bothering her too much. I hate to see her being upset.

 

Soondeok’s diary

Yuju came over yesterday and told me more about this second wife of the prince. She’s older than me, I’m told, but no one knows who she is exactly. I tried to find out myself, looking at the list gives me a headache, there are over a hundred of girls whom grandpa has visited, and many more whose father or grandfather is working in the palace for the king.

But to be honest, must I know? I won’t stop it from happening, is it really necessary for me to know? What if the ‘old’ me really did allow grandpa to do this? What if my ‘old’ self wanted this to happen after pondering upon this issue day after day, moon after moon? On one hand I want to just let it slide, but on the other hand, I want to make sure that this person, won’t bring any harm to the prince. I feel very uneasy about this, but I can’t bring this up to my husband. If he knows, he’d definitely make a huge fuss about it, he’d try to run away with me and all. Not that I don’t want to, but we can’t leave mum here, and we can’t just disappear overnight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Eun and Soondeok returns from the date that evening, Soondeok’s got her arms wrapped around Eun’s as they walk in their front yard)

‘How’d you enjoy tonight?’

‘It was lovely, Oppa.’

‘Should we go to another market next week?’

‘Hmmm…I’ll have to think about that.’

‘Aigoo~’

(Eun touches Soondeok’s nose. Then all of a sudden, someone dumps water over them)

‘YA! WHO IS IT???’

(A maid is standing in front of them, she quickly falls face-down on the floor)

Maid: ‘I’m so sorry, your highness! I didn’t see you coming!’

(Eun wipes his face with his soaked sleeves, not that it’s of much help then proceeds to scold the maid)

Eun: ‘How dare you? I ought to have you fired for this!’

Maid: ‘Please give me another chance, your highness! Please!’

(The maid’s trying to hold her tears back, Soondeok taps Eun’s shoulder)

Soondeok: ‘Oppa, it was an accident-’

Eun: ‘I won’t let this slide! She got you all wet as well! I won’t forgive her for this! What’s your name?’

(Soondeok pulls Eun back before he does something to the maid)

Soondeok: ‘Your highness. Please calm down. Gosh…’

(Soondeok walks over to the maid and help her stand up)

Soondeok: ‘It’s alright, no one’s hurt. Be careful next time, okay?’

Maid: ‘Thank you, my lady. I’m so sorry, my lady…I’ll be more careful next time.’

Soondeok: ‘Here, don’t cry now, this is a candy we bought in the market, you can enjoy it.’

Maid: ‘Oh no, my lady, I can’t.’

(Soondeok puts it in her hand)

Soondeok: ‘If you don’t like it you can give it to someone else, but that’s for you to decide, okay?’

Maid: ‘Thank you, my lady.’

Soondeok: ‘Where do you work? I know you’re new here, I’m not sure where they allocated you to.’

Maid: ‘I work in the kitchen, my lady. I do the dishes…’

Soondeok: ‘You may go back now, we’re good.’

Maid: ‘I can bring dry towels to your room, my lady-’

Soondeok: ‘No thanks, we have them inside already. You may go now.’

(Maid leaves. Eun storms back to their room)

‘AISH! Why do you have to be so nice all the time, Deok ah? She’s just a maid!’

‘She’s still getting used to our place, Oppa, and she’s new to this house, you can’t scold her for that.’

‘Any idiot would know not to dump water on someone walking by!’

‘She said she didn’t see us, Oppa…calm down already.’

‘Damn! She’s ruined the mood, darn it! And look at this! This outfit, I was going to wear it on my birthday!’

‘There’s nothing a good washing can’t fix.’

‘Whatever, I’m changing – don’t come in unless you want to see-’

‘You know I won’t…’

‘Just saying…’

(Eun walks into the dressing room and change as he grumbles while Soondeok waits with her back facing him)

‘Oppa…the snacks that we bought, should I put it in the kitchen?’

‘Why bother? You can keep them here. We can have some before we sleep.’

‘One of the many reasons I think I should put it in the kitchen…and I don’t want to attract insects and animals to our room. I’ll drop this in the kitchen, I’ll be right back. Thankfully we got two paper bags or else they’d be soaked through by now…’

‘Wait, shouldn’t you change first? Change into something dry.’

‘I won’t be long Oppa, I’ll change when I get back.’

-------------------------------------------------

(Kitchen, 2 maids talking as they pack up for the day)

Maid 2: ‘My lady, you must’ve wanted to stop working here! How could you dump water on his royal highness?’

Maid 1: ‘I just wanted him to notice me. And what did I say about calling me “my lady”? What if someone hears you?’

Maid 2: ‘Oh dear, if master…I mean…if your father finds out, he’ll not be happy.’

Maid 1: ‘Well, I can’t marry someone I don’t even know, can I?’

Maid 2: ‘My lady!’

Maid 1: ‘Shush!’

Maid 2: ‘At this rate, you won’t even last another day here…’

Maid 1: ‘The prince…he’s…he’s got a real bad temper.’

Maid 2: ‘Everybody in this city knows about that.’

Maid 1: ‘But her wife is nice. She’s real kind, I sort of want to keep her here with the prince now.’

Maid 2: ‘But master said-’

Maid 1: ‘I know I know…father wants me to kick her out after the marriage…but that’s just mean. I saw them together just then, they love each other…so very very much, I can tell.’

Maid 2: ‘My lady, you can’t just think of the prince, you have to think about yourself too! You need to give the prince a son, so you can have a higher position in this family and help your father’s family too! Don’t forget that.’

Maid 1: ‘Maybe I should just run away…maybe that’s more worth it.’

Maid 2: ‘My lady!’

(They hear someone coming closer, Soondeok opens the door and walks in as the two quickly gets back to work)

Soondeok: ‘Excuse me, are there any empty jars for me to store the snacks in?’

Maid 2: ‘I’ll give it to you, my lady.’

(Maid 2 hands her the jar)

Soondeok: ‘Since there are two of you, here, take one. I gave one to her a while ago.’

(Soondeok smiles at Maid 1)

Maid 2: ‘Oh no, my lady, I cannot.’

Soondeok: ‘Please? I can’t let the prince have too many sweets himself.’

Maid 2: ‘Thank…thank you, my lady.’

Maid 1: ‘How’s his royal highness? Is he still angry?’

(Soondeok smiles)

Soondeok: ‘No, he’s not, don’t worry. But try to stay out of his way for a while for him to cool off. I don’t want him hurting you because of what happened tonight, okay?’

Maid 1: ‘Yes, my lady.’

Soondeok: ‘It’s getting quite late now, do go to bed soon, alright?’

Maids: ‘Yes, my lady. We will after tidying up.’

(Soondeok leaves, the maids let out a large sigh)

Maid 2: ‘Oh my, did she overhear us?’

Maid 1: ‘Of course not. How’d she be so calm if she had? If she really did…and she still acted this way…she must be stupid, and I know she’s not.’

----------------------------------------------

(Soondeok goes back into the room, Eun shouts from the bed)

‘Honey! What took you so long? I thought you lost your way or something.’

(Soondeok replies as she changes into something dry & comfortable for bed)

‘It wasn’t that long…I just…felt like walking around tonight, that’s all.’

‘Without me?’

‘I’ve got a lot of thinking to do…’

‘You’ve been thinking a lot these days, and you’re not saying anything to me about it.’

‘Believe me, Oppa, it’s for your own good. Uh? Wait. Where…where is it?’

(Soondeok searches around her dressing table for the ointment. Eun sits up as he hears his wife rummaging through the stuff.)

‘Deok ah, what are you looking for?’

‘My ointment…the one for the scar, I left it here last night…where is it?’

(Soondeok gets on her knees to see if it had fallen onto the ground)

‘Oppa! OPPA! Did you take it?’

‘Me?! Why would I? For all I care, I wish you’ll put heaps of it on every day so your scar can fade faster! I’m getting impatient you know.’

‘Then I guess it’s still here…’

‘Hold on, I’ll ask mother and see if she has another one in her room.’

(Eun leaves)

-------------------------------

‘Deok ah, here’s a new one!’

‘AHHHHH! OPPA!!! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?’

(Soondeok swiftly grabs something nearby to cover herself while Eun turns and looks the other way)

‘Ooops, sorry about that.’

‘You…you did that on purpose didn’t you, Oppa? I hate you!’

(Soondeok tidies herself up as quick as she can, while Eun’s still behaving himself)

‘Ya! I did not do it on purpose! I just forgot…I…I thought you would’ve changed into something already.’

‘No, I was finding the ointment this whole time.’

‘Speaking of which, here…mother has a new one, take it.’

(Eun hands it over to his wife as he keeps his eyes shut)

‘I don’t need it now, Oppa, I found mine…’

‘Why didn’t you say so earlier?’

‘Well, maybe I would’ve had the time to tell you if you’d just ask before coming in! I was rubbing it on when you barged right in like that.’

‘Should I return this to mother then?’

‘Let’s not disturb her, Oppa, it’s getting quite late…’

‘Can I open my eyes now?’

‘Have you been keeping them close?’

‘Of course! Who do you take me for?’

‘I didn’t think you’d listen…’

‘Should I not then?’

‘Open them if you want, I’m done anyway…Aigoo…what a night…’

(Soondeok looks at her husband whose lips curl up as he gazes upon her)

‘What…what are you staring at?’

‘You.’

‘Yes, obviously…but…why? Is there something on my pajamas? A stain?’

‘Not on, Deok ah, but under.’

‘Hmm, under? What do you mean?’

(Soondeok frowns a bit as she thinks hard what Eun implied)

‘Oh come on Deok ah, stop acting so innocent!’

‘You mean…’

(Soondeok stares at her own chest then yells at Eun)

‘YA! You and your dirty mind!!!!’

(Eun snickers as he runs away from his wife)

‘I’m sorry wife! I’m sorry! Yahhhh, save me!’

‘You’re dead tonight Oppa! I ought to tie you up or something!’

‘Sorry honey! Stop! I can’t run anymore! Ya! I said stop!!!’

---------------------------------

(Almost morning, a small squeaking sound made Soondeok wake up, she remains motionless – there is someone in the room, someone not from this house, someone carrying a sword. Soondeok moves quietly, making sure she’s not waking Eun up and not alerting the intruder that she’s awake, she reaches for the sword at the head of the bed and waits for the right moment to strike)

‘HYAAAA!’

(Soondeok jumps up and points her sword straight at the intruder as he tries to get close to the prince. The intruder was shocked but reflected just in time to dodge out of Soondeok’s way.)

‘Who are you? What are you doing in here? What do you want?’

(Soondeok asks while pointing the blade straight at him)

‘Not what I want, but who I want.’

(Both of them walks slowly towards each other, ready to strike another blow – the prince is still sleeping)

‘Me? Or the prince? Who is it that you’ve come to kill?’

‘Kill? Ha!’

(The intruder lets out a cold laugh)

‘Not you, nor the prince…I just want my mother back.’

‘Your mother?’

‘Where is she?’

‘Who are you talking about?’

‘Don’t give me that! I know you know where she is!’

(A yawn, followed by Eun lighting up a candle which brightened up the who room)

Eun: ‘Gosh, why come in the morning? Can’t you like climb over the wall at night? Geez…’

(Eun stretches himself and takes a good look at them)

Eun: ‘Ah…I didn’t expect to see you come visit me dressed like this. I mean, your mother said you’d dress-up weird and all but I didn’t expect this! HA!’

Man: ‘You’ve been expecting me?’

(Soondeok sees it as her chance so she knocks the man’s sword off then pulls his arms from the back, locking them)

Man: ‘WHY YOU LITTLE!’

Soondeok: ‘Your highness! Run out now! Get to somewhere safe! I’ll deal with him!’

(Eun stands up)

Eun: ‘Soondeok ah!’

Man: ‘YOU! LET ME GO OR I’LL-’

Soondeok: ‘HURRY, OPPA!’

Man: ‘I SAID LET ME GO!’

(The man was about to flip Soondeok over when Eun pulls her by the arm and kicks him down, making his wife stand safe behind him)

Eun: ‘You alright honey?’

Soondeok: ‘Your highness…’

Eun: ‘Stop making things complicated Soondeok ah…he’s her son. That old lady we saved back then…he’s her son. She told me he’d be coming for her, we left a sign for him to trace us, you see. There’s nothing to worry about.’

(The man grunts on the foor)

Man: ‘My…my mother…where is she?’

(Soondeok looks questionably at both men)

Soondeok: ‘You…you sure about this?’

Man: ‘Answer me, you said my mother is alive?’

Eun: ‘She left you a letter…it’s in the box over there. But first, show me your proof of identity.’

Man: ‘My what?’

Eun: ‘Your mother told me be sure that you’re really her son before giving you the letter. Now, show me your proof.’

Man: ‘Gosh…mother won’t stop thinking I’m still her little kid…’

Eun: ‘Show me your birthmark.’

Man: ‘IT’S NOT A BIRTHMARK! It’s a scar, how many times do I have to tell mother?’

Eun: ‘I was told to find a birthmark on you.’

Man: ‘First off, it’s a scar, secondly, there’s no way I will let you see my birthmark!’

Eun: ‘Why?’

Soondeok: ‘Oppa, I’m telling you, this guy is suspicious, we should just-’

Man: ‘What do you mean why?’

Eun: ‘Where is your birthmark then, hmm?’

Man: ‘I said it’s a scar!’

Eun: ‘Where? Tell me or I won’t give you the letter.’

Man: ‘Urrrgh…fine! It’s! It’s-, oh darn it! It’s on my !’

(Eun claps cheerfully, obviously he’s been enjoying making fun of this unexpected guest)

Eun: ‘Congratulations, you’re really her son. The letter is in the box over there, second one from the left on the table over there.’

Man: ‘Gosh! Finally!’

(The man gets over to the table to retrieve the letter, Soondeok gets closer to Eun)

Soondeok: ‘Your highness, are you sure he’s harmless? I think your joke just made him even angrier…’

Eun: ‘Relax darling, the old woman told me he’d be coming…I’ve been waiting for him…a bit odd it took him this long to find us, I left him enough clues. Anyway…he’s not as dangerous as he seems to be, he just likes to act tough, that’s all.’

Man: ‘Hey! I heard that!’

Eun: ‘Found the letter yet?’

(Man finishs reading the letter)

Man: ‘So where is she now? Do you know?’

Eun: ‘My father-in-law took her to somewhere safe, he sent a letter not a while ago telling us where she is, it’s in that box as well, you can take it.’

(Man slowly walks back to the couple, head low)

Man: ‘Sorry for waking you two up so early, I can’t have people seeing me coming here, you understand?’

Soondeok: ‘Absolutely no-’

(Eun squeezes her hand to stop her from finishing her sentence and replies with a smile)

Eun: ‘Of course we understand, what’s important now is that you find your mother.’

Man: ‘I suppose we started off in the wrong foot. Anyway, my name is-’

Eun: ‘Park Hyung-sik. I know.’

Hyung-sik: ‘Yes, well…of course…how was my mother? Well, seeing how much she’s told you about me, I guess she’s doing pretty well.’

Eun: ‘It’s getting her to rest and not spill all your childhood stories that’s the problem…’

Hyung-sik: ‘Indeed…This won’t happen again, I promise, and thank you for saving my mother, I owe you for that.’

Eun: ‘Stay safe, both you and her, okay? That’s how you’ll repay us.’

Hyung-sik: ‘I’m sure one day I’ll be able to repay you properly.’

Eun: ‘I hope not, I’m not looking forward to bumping into any problems sooner. You’d better be on your way, the sun will be up soon.’

Hyung-sik: ‘Yes well, then, so long…’

(He leaves, Eun yawns then falls back into bed.)

‘What? Aren’t you going to sleep, Deok ah? It’s still quite early.’

‘This is all too much for me to take in, Oppa…this guy, he’s the son of that woman we saved…and…instead of thanking us the moment we meet, he came in with a sword…and you know it was him from the very beginning…this is a bit confusing for me.’

‘The old lady said he’d be looking for her, carrying that ridiculous sword of his. Did you not notice his sword?’

‘His sword?’

‘You did swing your sword about with him, didn’t you? You ought to have noticed.’

‘It…it was very long, now that you’ve mentioned it, curved too…it did seem pretty weird.’

‘They use this kind of sword in the middle lands, Yixing showed one to me once.’

‘What about the proof of identity? What was that all about? He didn’t show you anything!’

‘It was nothing – I just wanted to have some fun with him.’

‘How did you know he has a scar on his ?’

‘The old lady told me. He got that as he was escaping from my father’s men…Never mind, let’s sleep.’

‘How can I possibly fall asleep now? My heart’s still racing like mad…’

(Soondeok keeps pacing around the room, Eun gets frustrated)

‘Ya! Just lie down, okay? How am I supposed to sleep if you keep walking about like that?’

‘S…sorry…’

‘Come over here and sleep already…’

(Soondeok keeps tossing about in bed, she sits up)

‘Oppa, I need to go to the temple.’

‘What, now?’

‘Yes, now.’

‘Why?’

‘Who knows what he’ll do to the old lady? What if he’s not her son? What if he’s gone to kill her?’

‘Relax, it won’t happen. Trust me on this.’

‘I want to, but I just feel so uneasy…’

(Eun sits up and brings his face close to Soondeok’s, looking at her only inches away)

‘Are you saying that you don’t trust me now? Your very own husband.’

‘N…no, it’s not you, it’s him…’

‘But I told you not to worry, and if you continue to worry, that means you don’t trust me, am I right?’

‘N…not really…I…’

(Eun inches forward, getting closer to his wife)

‘Guess I need to work on that…show you how trust-worthy I am.’

‘I…you don’t need to show me, Oppa…I know.’

‘How do you know?’

‘You…you protected me just then…pulling me away from that guy…’

(Eun claps his hand)

‘Ah! Now that you mentioned it. Ya, Park Soondeok, you want to die? How could you do this to me?’

‘D…do what?’

‘You told me to just leave you, back then! “Your highness! Run out now! Get to somewhere safe! I’ll deal with him!” Heck, what’s that supposed to mean? That I should just save myself and leave you alone?’

‘It’s to protect you, Oppa.’

‘Still…I know we’ve had this conversation before, I understand that you may not remember it, but please, no next time, okay? If we run, we run together.’

‘Okay…’

‘Good girl.’

(Eun pats her head. She smiles – a big one. Eun suddenly feels weird, like all his blood is boiling up right now – he wraps his arms around his wife, pulling her to him then falls on top of her)

‘O…Oppa…what are you doing?’

‘I think you just hit my heart with that cute look of yours. I’m having a heart attack now.’

‘Really? Oh my Oppa, are you alright? Take a deep breath, Oppa! Slow deep breath, like me, breathe in, breathe out…’

(Soondeok rests her hand on Eun’s chest)

‘Breathe in, breathe out. One more time Oppa, breathe in, breathe out-’

(Eun holds her hand, then feeling her fingers, touching them…)

‘O…Oppa…’

‘I was just…joking…’

‘So…you’re fine?’

‘Well…I…I was, that is…before you touched me…Honey…help me…I think…I think my urge is kicking in…’

‘What does that mean? Wait…does that mean…’

(Eun embraces her even tighter as Soondeok tries to squirm out)

‘Shh, don’t move, Deok ah, if you move and I see your pretty face, I really might lose it. Stay still, so I can just embrace you like this… and do nothing more…please…’

‘Will…will you be alright?’

‘I’ll live.’

‘I’m sorry…’

‘About what?’

‘Everything…’

‘Don’t be…now shush, don’t talk to me, your sound alone is enough to .’

‘Then what should I do?’

‘Nothing, would be nice, Deok ah. Just…just stay still…gosh, it’s gonna be a long night…’

‘It’s morning already.’

‘You know what I mean.’

‘When will you feel better then? Will this last long?’

‘It will if you keep talking like that. It’s not like you don’t know how y your voice is in the morning…Urgh…distract me, Deok ah, give me an idea.’

‘So now you want me to talk? I thought you just said-’

‘Well, apparently, having you stop talking seems harder than getting you to talk.’

‘Oppa, can we go to the temple in the afternoon?’

‘You’re still worried about the old lady?’

‘Not really…it’s just that…maybe some of my memories will come back after seeing her…who knows?’

(Eun takes a deep breath)

‘Fine, I’ll arrange that when I wake up…’

‘We can ride in the forest as well! Oppa, what say we have picnic too? The temple is close to a nice picnic spot I know.’

‘Sure thing.’

‘Can we bring mother too?’

‘Mother will have guest today.’

‘Guest? Who?’

‘You’ll know, when we return.’

‘Fine…’

(Soondeok yawns and starts to get sleepy, she loves to fall asleep in Eun’s arms after all. She mumbles as she dozes off.)

‘I…I…love you…your highness…so…very…very…much…’

‘Me too, Deok ah…which makes this moment even more unbearable…’

(Eun pats Soondeok on the head)

‘Deok ah. Hey, answer me. Boy…and asleep she goes…I better run some laps outside…’