First Love

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok's diary

I can finally breathe with ease! Father did it! He did it! He saved us all! The crown prince safely returned and Yo is no more! It's all over now, all's well. I didn't sleep a wink last night – I waited and waited, then finally this morning, our servant came in with the news. I've never been more relieved! Eun can return and we can be together...living free of fear forever! If all goes well, I may be able to find a way to help mother and get her title back, since now the queen has lost her son, her strongest support.

Winter is almost here...I hope we can move back to Eun's place soon – I wouldn't want mother to be too alone there, thinking of us and the king every day. The news of the king's death must've hurt her so. Even though the king threw her away and did her injustice, I could see that mother still loves him very very much. She would write letters to him which she'll never send, she'll make the food he likes which he'll never taste, she would dream of the days she can return to be with him which will never come true. Do I love Eun as much as she loves the king? Do I?

Bogum is back with father, we'll have a feast at our place tonight in celebration to the rise of our new king! Oh, if only Eun was here! He loves going to parties, he would drink wine though he's not good at it and he'll be drunk after a few cups. He's the cutest after that, doing things he'll never remember doing. I should've kissed him then when I had the chance, but there were always so many people at the party I've never really got to.

Mother joked about making Eun drunk and have him kiss me. I'd like that, but having too much wine is not good for the prince. Besides...if he likes me, he likes me no matter what. If not, I won't even try to make him. Like what he's said before, you can't force love.

Every night when I look to the sky, I feel like the moon...all alone in the darkness, wanting for the lonely night to end, waiting to meet the sun – but every day before the sun comes up, the moon must leave. Will there come a day both the sun and the moon can unite in the sky? Even if it's just for a brief moment?

--------------------------

'Raise your cups! A toast, to our new king!'

'Long live the king!'

'Everybody, enjoy this evening! I, Goryeo's Grand General, invite everyone to enjoy it tonight! Our Goryeo's future is bright as can be!'

'Yes sir!'

(Party starts, full of dance and music. Soondeok sits by herslef, drinking wine)

'Soondeok ah!'

'Oh...Bogum...'

'Care if I join?'

'Not at all. Here, let me pour you a cup – good job on helping my father. Cheers!'  

'Cheers!'

'This wine is good!'

'You think so? Since when did our Soondeok start drinking? You've grown up so much already!'

'When you're married, you'll learn to drink your troubles away.'

'Are you happy now? Married to the prince, I mean.'

'Sure I am! What kind of question is that? He's my first love! They say first love never succeed – I guess I'm just really lucky.'

'Lucky for you...here, another cup for you. Cheers!'

(After a few drinks)

'Bogum ah...you...have you experienced first love?'

'Me? Why are you asking?'

'I'm just curious...you're always fighting...running around...doing your job...it would seem you don't have time for love. This won't do, Bogum ah. Guess what? I'll introduce you to some girls I know...I may not hang out with them much...but I can...'

'Enough talk, Soondeok ah. You've been talking nonsense.'

'Tell me then...do you have one? First love, I mean.'

'It'd be a lie if I say no. Another drink!'

'Really? Oh gosh! I can't believe it! Who is it? Is it someone I know?'

'It doesn't matter now...who my first love is... Wait, we're running out of wine...umm...EXCUSE ME! More wine over here please!'

'Here you go sir.'

'Here, Soondeok, want another cup?'

'Ahh...it must be someone I know then. Or else you would've told me her name! Who is it? Wait...is she older than you? Seriously?'

'No...she's not. Forget it. Forget I even said it. Here, more wine...let's not ruin the happy mood tonight!'

'With wine comes stories. I want to hear yours! Come on, please?'

'Soondeok ah. My first love ended a long time ago...there's no point talking about it.'

'Did she marry someone else?'

(Bogum stares at Soondeok then looks away, pouring more wine to his cup)

'Yes...yes, she did...'

'I knew it. Man. That's sad...did she know you liked her or you've never told her?'

'I...I've never told her...'

'See? Gotcha! You boys should have the guts to do say it! Stop thinking we girls will know how you feel! What's so hard anyway? Just walk up to her like a man! Walk up to her and say, "I like you! I like you very very much! Want to hang out with me?" Isn't this simple? Just like me! I walked straight up to the prince.'

'It's not as simple as you think...'

'Ya, Bogum, you've got the guts to kill people, but you don't have the guts to say that to a girl? Come on! You can do better than that!'

'Anyway, the past is in the past...'

'Ah... this wine is so good! So...tell me...is your first love happy now? You should be if she is. That's true love. You should be happy for her then forget about her and move on.'

'She says she is...but I'm not sure if she really is happy. I still worry about her.'

'Why?'

'S...Soondeok ah.'

'Yes?'

'You're my friend, right?'

'Sure I am! Your best friend!'

'Why's that? Why...why are we friends?'

'What do you mean why?'

'Never mind...I need to go.'

(Bogum gets up)

'What? Why? It was getting interesting...'

(Soondeok stands up but then falls backward, Bogum catches her)

'You girl, don't drink so much if you can't handle it, Soondeok! Deok ah!'

'Hehe...I want more wine! More wine!!!'

'This won't do...you need to go back to your room now, seems like you've been drinking too much. Aigoo, look at you!'

'Someone call the doctor~ I've been overdosed~~~~'

'Funny. You even sing when you're drunk now? Aigoo.'

(Bogum carries Soondeok to her room and puts her to sleep)

'You fool...how can you not get it?'

(Brushes Soondeok's hair)

'Would you have liked me if I told you how I felt sooner? Did you know you stabbed my heart when I read your letter saying you've married the prince? How is it that you don't know how much I cared about you?'

'Prince....prince...'

'And even now, all you think about is the prince, when he's been treating you this way...maybe I should've been meaner to you...is that what you like?'

(Bogum sees Soondeok's hairpin)

'At least you've kept what I had given you...that's enough for me. Good night, my love.'