Night by the Sea

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

She knew? She knew? She knew! We’ve finally arrived at the East sea this afternoon, such amazing views! But then when we visited the port – I made an excuse of wanting to go to the restaurant there – she told me that all ships leaving Goryeo has been banned because a war may arise. She looked at me as if she knows of my plan of leaving Goryeo. Did she read my diary? There’s no way she could’ve, I carry this in my sleeves all day! That’s it, all hope’s lost, all thanks to her! Now I won’t ever be able to leave this damn country!

While I was living in despair, she seemed to be enjoying herself – she knows the mountains very well, saying how her father and herself has been to every single inch of Goryeo. She can’t stop talking about her father, sometimes I envy her – of having such a nice father. Frankly, I’m afraid of the grand general, he reminds me of the king very much – that deep voice with weight of authority. If only I wasn’t born into the royal family!

Anyways, let’s not ruin the mood further – I plan to watch the sun rise tomorrow from our window. I got us a nice room in this inn by the sea – very lovely view of the beach, the port, the distant islands; I can smell the salty winds from here. Soondeok is now painting again – honestly, she paints real good, I wonder why she never sent me a painting for my birthday instead of those scary bear fur, I’d appreciate that much more. Oh, where should we go next? Should we visit the peaks? Or ride along the river? Or just find a nice temple and relax, doing nothing all day? I haven’t thought of it so far, maybe I should ask Soondeok about it, since it was my choice coming here, I guess it’s only fair I go to the place of her choice next.

Soondeok’s diary

When I told the prince that I knew his plan of escaping, he got scared, like a little boy who was found stealing food from the kitchen. Did he really think I wouldn’t know? Me? I’ve caught at least 10 spies for my father before so I know what he’s thinking just by looking at him…most of the time. I think I’ve crushed his last piece of hope…Sorry Eun, but I have to do it – for you, for mother…for myself. He seemed to appreciate my paintings – I guess I should’ve sent him paintings every year on his birthday instead of scaring him with my precious bear fur, which father wants so badly…then maybe he would’ve liked me…and not Haesoo…maybe, just maybe. I still haven’t got the guts to call him…out loud…maybe I should just call him brother or something. After all, our relationship is more like siblings than a couple…when we chat, it felt like chatting with my older brother. Come to think of it, I miss him dearly – ever since he’s got married, we don’t see each other as often because he’s all over his wife. I thought all marriages would be like that before I got married – romantic, joyous, enchanting.... At least now the prince won’t yell at me all the time even when I’m doing absolutely nothing. At least, he will now look at me when he speaks to me. At least, he will smile when we’re together even though the smile wasn’t for me. He may not be smart, but he’s got a good taste. He’s got us a room at this wonderful inn by the sea and we have this magnificent sea view! 5 days of travel all worth it! I feel so good I can’t feel my chest pain anymore! I plan to watch the sun rise tomorrow so I better sleep now, it’s getting late and the moon is almost right above us.

 

‘Ya, Soondeok ah! Hurry up and come to bed! I need to sleep!’

‘Coming!’

‘You blow the candles out.’

‘But the candle stand is out here…’

‘You expect us to sleep with that candle on?’

‘Well…no…I guess I can work my way in the dark.’

(Blows out candle)

‘Whoa….this is darker than I thought…okay, so it should be just a couple of steps forward…Where’s the bed…’

‘Hey! Watch where you’re placing your hand!’

‘Oh, sorry. Found the bed. Which end is the head?’

‘Here!’

‘Wait, where?’

‘Here! I’m holding your hand now! Can’t you feel it?’

‘Thanks…I’ll just get inside…why is this bed so high?’

‘Ouch! Careful!’

(Collapse)

‘Sorry…my hand slipped…this bed is really strange…oh no! Did I fall on you? I’m so sorry…you alright your highness?’

‘I’ll be better if you’ll roll off of me now.’

‘Oh, right, sorry.’

‘Phew! I thought you’ll squash me to death!’

‘I’m not that heavy…’

‘How would you know? You’re not the one underneath!’

‘Your highness…Your chest is…softer than I thought…’

‘My what?’

‘It’s just that, it’s softer than other guys I know, that’s all…’

‘You say what?’

(Eun rolls over and grabbed hold of Soondeok’s arms)

‘You touched other men’s chests? When? Why?’

‘Well…Not intentionally. You know too! I was with my father in the army camp so I see men walking around half all the time. And we train together and…’

‘Wa, you really, wa, really amazing! All these times and you act innocent.’

‘Is it my fault that I wrestle with them? You’ve seen me too! I once wrestled with Prince Jung – now his body really is tough, his chest thick and strong, and his arms…’

‘You dare say one more word about it!’

‘You’re the one who asked first…why is it that you always think it’s my fault something happened?’

‘Well, I’ve got a list, shall we go through it? It’s your fault that this marriage took place at all!’

‘It was the king, not me.’

‘You persuaded him!’

‘I only told father I like you…I didn’t ask him to get you for me…’

‘Well, he persuaded the king well enough! Next, because of this marriage, Haesoo won’t marry me!’

‘She rejected you, I had nothing to do with it! I even asked her to be your second wife, you know how hard that was for me to do? On our wedding day! I laid down my proud and did it for you!’

‘You came to this trip with me when I wanted to be alone!’

‘I never suggested it! It was mother!’

‘You were nice to her and sweetened her up!’

‘Isn’t it my responsibility to take care of my mother-in-law?’

‘Enough! It’s your fault! Your fault! All your fault!’

(Silence, except for the panting of the couple – eventually Eun let go of Soondeok and rolled over, with his back facing her.)

‘Indeed…I guess it’s my fault that I didn’t play with the kids in the palace that day…if only I had played with them, you wouldn’t have come to me with those flowers…I wouldn’t have tasted the nature of love…I wouldn’t have fallen for a prince who will later become my first love and my husband…whom I dearly love…’

(Soondeok rolls over with her face facing the wall)

‘Don’t worry, I may vanish quicker than you thought. Good night, my prince.’

 

Read with bgm and/or pictures: http://my.w.tt/UiNb/2ym8riiwbE