Little dove

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun's diary

I told her – what I had in mind, about being her big brother. She will now call me Oppa, she will be mine forever and we shall have a good time together. Guess what? I feel much better now, telling her what I had in mind, and the fact that she wasn't angry at me for telling her so. Now, I can truly be myself around her. 

The grand general came to us this morning while we're washing up and getting ready for breakfast, he told us to visit the new king in the palace today, so that's what we'll do. I'm not close to Moo Hyung, I mean, His Majesty – I'm not close to him, but he's been good to me. Once, I cried because I missed mother after she got kicked out and he came to me with sweets, telling me not to cry. He's way older than I, but he's a nice hyung. I hope he will be a great king, not like father. I hope he'll care about his family more, unlike father.

The news shocked me, father's death. It's not like we are close anyway, but still...the news of him made me sad. If only he could just play with me once...have picnic once or even ride with me once. All he did was scold me, telling me to study - the only time I was grateful to him was when he forgave Haesoo for beating me up. I didn't cry, of course I didn't. Why would I cry for someone who abandoned mother and I? Never! Now if mother dies, then I would cry till my eyes pop. If grandpa dies, I too will cry for him – he's my good grandpa, though he scolds me a lot. What about Soondeok? When she fainted last time, I wanted to cry as well – not the tears of sadness, but rather, tears of regret. I'll make it up to her, I'll mend our bonds, I'll be good to her from now on.

Last night she fell asleep fast, I gazed upon her sweet face as she slept next to me – there's this peace I get when I look at her sleep. I wanted to kiss her, I wanted to kiss her so very badly, I guess it's because it's night time and I tend to think about those things at night. It's normal, right? For me to do that...I mean – I will act like an Oppa to her, but I'm still her husband, so I can kiss her if I want to, right? It's okay for me to want to hug her, right? It's normal for a man to do that, right?

Soondeok's diary

The carriage will come soon to pick us up, we'll be greeting our new king today. Eun didn't like the idea of entering the palace, me neither, but I think it's a gesture of courtesies for us to do so. The prince talked to me yesterday, about our relationship – he said he wants to be my big brother. Is this what they call 'sister-zoned'? But I'm not angry or sad, no, not at all. I'm extremely happy, I think it's nice to keep our relationship that way now – where Eun can feel comfortable being with me. I can be with him all day while he can be himself in front of me, isn't this a win-win situation? Sure, it's not the love I was after, but I won't push it. I'll wait, like a bud waiting to bloom when the right time comes – I will wait for the prince.

Mother sent us a letter today saying that we can move back next week! It's not that I don't like living here with father and my nephews, but I can't wait to move back and be with mother again. Oh, how she must've missed us! Will Eun let me sleep on the bed with him when we return? Or will I continue to sleep on the floor? Well...I guess I'll sleep on the floor, you don't see brothers and sisters sleeping together, do you? To think that we can do all sorts of things together! The prince said that we may go to the South sea after moving back! How awesome is that? Autumn trips are perfect! If Prince So is not too busy, I really want to hunt with him, and Prince Jung as well! Maybe I can ask them to find the answer for me, why the queen hates Eun so and went to the extent to kick his mother out. Oh, I think I have to go now.

---------------------------------

'Ahh! Finally, it's over! Deok ah, let's leave. Let's get out of this hell of a palace.'

'Your highness, can we stop by the garden? It's so pretty there.'

'The garden? Why would you want to go there? It's boring.'

'Then, can we visit the kitchen?'

'You hungry? Wait...you want to visit that friend of yours, right?'

'Yes! Minseok Oraboni! I want to see him, I miss him. And he makes this awesome bun!'

'No, don't even think about it.'

'Why not?'

'Just 'cause...let's go home. There's something I want to do with you.'

'Ooo, what is it?'

'I...I want...I want to paint with you.'

'Really?'

'You said you'll teach me.'

'Then, can we visit Kyungsoo Oraboni?'

'What?'

'He's the royal painter, isn't he? Can we? Oh please oh please!'

'Deok ah, no is no! I'm your man, you're not seeing other men, get it?'

'Why? Are you jealous?'

'Me? Jealous? Ha! Of course not! I'm just protecting you, as a brother should.'

'Mindeok Oraboni lets me see them and he's my real brother.'

'Well, I'm not just any brother of yours, I'm your Oppa!'

'What kind of excuse is that?'

'Deok ah, what say we go shopping together then, huh? Let's visit my friend Yixing's shop! Maybe he's sent another letter to me! Oh, you'll love his shop! All these things you've never seen before from Persia! Maybe, if we're lucky, we can see toys that came all the way from Rome!'

(Eun pulls Soondeok's hand, both smiling as they walk, but then they saw Queen Yoo)

Queen: 'Look at you two, the king just died but here you are, laughing happily. How disrespectful.'

Soondeok: 'H-How have you been, Queen Yoo? Your highness, say your greetings.'

Eun: 'Why should I?'

Soondeok: 'Just do it.'

Eun: 'How have you been, Queen Yoo?'

Queen: 'Funny, what's the odd duckling doing in the palace? Shouldn't you go back to your natural habitat of the muddy swamp?'

(Eun wants to protest, Soondeok stops him)

Soondeok: 'Thank you for your concern. We were just paying respect to His Majesty.'

Queen: 'What bad luck for him, to have a brother like you greet him. Don't you feel a bit ashamed, Prince Eun? Out of all the sons your father had, look at you, what have you done so far? Unlike my Jung, he's so handsome and mastered martial arts since he was 15. Odd ducklings should stay out of the group. Oh dear me, to think that my Jung have a brother like you. Well, what did I expect? Like mother, like son.'

Eun: 'Don't you dare talk about mother with that mouth of yours!!!'

Queen: 'I guess kicking her out was not enough, huh?'

Soondeok: 'Your highness, let me handle it. Why don't you wait by the gates, I'll be with you in a moment.'

Eun: 'Deok ah...'

(Soondeok nods, Eun leaves)

Soondeok: 'Mother has been doing well, in case you're wondering, Queen Yoo. We're living happily right now with no concern of the throne whatsoever. And just to let you know, Prince Eun, that is, my husband, is the best man in all of Goryeo. I'd appreciate it if you stop bringing him down to praise your own son.'

Queen: 'Ha! I guess the odd duckling married another odd duckling. You two make a perfect match.'

Soondeok: 'Ducklings will grow, so will we. You'll have to wait till the end to see what we'll become – whether we really are the odd ducklings you say we are, or we will grow into beautiful swans you have failed to reckon.'

Queen: 'What?'

Soondeok: 'All seeds look the same, it's what it grows into that counts. Parents are simply gardeners. Right now, I see you have watered yours too much – its roots didn't get a chance to grow deep enough. A strong wind came, thus the entire tree collapsed.'

Queen: 'Don't you dare talk about my Yo like that!'

Soondeok: 'I didn't refer to anyone, Queen Yoo. Why? Did you think so too?'

(Queen slaps Soondeok)

Queen: 'How dare you talk back to me?'

(Soondeok stares straight to the queen's eyes, then smiles)

Soondeok: 'I'm glad not all your sons grew up to be like you, Queen Yoo. Mother did a good job nurturing my husband, despite the fact that you kicked her out. I hope you will stop treating him like that. Greed is a bottom-less cup, no matter how hard you try, it won't fill up. Now, if you'll excuse me, my husband's waiting outside.'

(Soondeok leaves, Queen Yoo shouts from behind)

Queen: 'Let's see how well off you two will be! You can't compare your mother with me! I'm the queen! I have my children and grandchildren, all loving me! How about your mother? Does she have grandchildren? No!! Who's better off now, huh?'

-------------Later--------------

(Soondeok and Eun taking a bath – inside bathhouse, different sections)

'Uh, that old lady. I hate seeing her!'

'It's a good thing I stopped you today, your highness.'

'Why did you? I'll pull all her hair out if I could! After what she did to mother!'

'Learn to calm down, will you? Oppa, you can't constantly do what you feel like doing.'

'I don't know, I don't know! Uh, forget it! I'm never going to the palace again. By the way, what did you guys talk about after I left?'

(Soondeok thought about the talk, the slap...)

'N...nothing special. A...anyway...it's the first time, Oppa.'

'What is?'

'You talking to me in bath.'

'Well, come to think of it...we don't usually take bath at the same time, do we? Oh, I wish I can see through the walls, who made this wall anyway?'

'Why do you want to see through walls? The girl's part of the bath house is exactly the same as the boy's.'

'Never mind.'

'Ah...a nice bath before bed. But the bathhouse here is just not as good as the one at your place, your highness.'

'Deok ah – if it's just me and you, call me Oppa, stop calling me "Your highness", it really stresses me out.'

'But you're a prince.'

'Prince my ! I'd remove that title if I could! Without getting to prison, that is.'

'You have no idea how many people wish they can be born into the royal family, you know that?'

'Wish? It's not good at all! It's a curse! I don't know what I did in my past life to deserve all this! My life now is a punishment I tell you! Punishment!! Aish.'

'You mean being born a prince and marrying me is a punishment?'

(Eun panics)

'N...No! Not at all! Deok ah, that's not what I meant. I...'

'I heard you. Never mind, Oppa. Forget it. I'm not talking to you anymore. Why? Because I'm your "punishment"!'

'Ya! I said I didn't mean it that way! Ya! That's not what I meant!!!! Deok ah, answer me!'

(Silence, Soondeok keeps washing her hair)

'Oh? Daebak. You're giving me the silence treatment now? Ya, Deok ah, I'm your Oppa. Will you do that to your brother?'

'Aigoo, the bath sure is nice tonight. Oh, if only I can take a bath in silence, wouldn't that be lovely?'

'Ha! W-what? You're mad at me? You're ignoring me now? Deok ah! Deok ah! Deok ah!!! Soondeok ah! Soondeok ah!!!!! Soooooonnnnnddddeeeooookkkk aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!'

(Soondeok continues talking to herself)

'Gosh! Why is that person in the other side of the bathhouse so noisy? Should I get someone to kick him out?'

'Soondeok ah~~~ Talk to me~ Please~~~~'

'That person is doing aegyo, why? Does he think he's still a baby? Guess so, he's a baby indeed.'

'Aish! You woman! I'm going back to our room! I'm sleeping! Don't bother talking to me!! Aish!!!'

(Eun gets out of bath-tub, wraps towel around his waist and walks back to room)

'W...was that too much of me? Oh no...what if the prince really got mad? I was just joking...my my, look at him – throwing tantrum again. Isn't he cute? Maybe I should go back after he's slept.'

(Soondeok finishes up, gets dressed, dries her hair then goes to her nephew's room)

'Aunty! What are you doing here?'

'Shhh, Luhan ah, don't be so loud, Tao's sleeping. Where's your hyung?'

'Hyung is talking to papa.'

'What were you doing just then, Luhan ah?'

'I was practising. I like kicking!! Kicking this ball.'

'Ah, you like playing football, don't you?'

(Luhan nods)

'I'm sure you'll be a pro later if you keep practising.'

'Aunty, what are you good at?'

'Me? Well, I'm pretty good at martial arts I suppose.'

'Really?'

'When I was young, father wouldn't let me learn martial arts, saying that's not proper for a girl. So, guess what I did?'

'What did you do?'

'I followed him to work and sneaked into the training camp where they train men for war. I watched them and gave them snacks, asking them to teach me! All done behind father's back, I mean your grandpa. I managed to stay away from him for a few months, but then he found out.'

'What happened after that? Did grandpa scold you?'

'Well...not exactly. He told me to show him what I've learnt, so I did! And after that, he said I can continue to learn marital arts! After that, I trained with his men. Ah...that was one of the best days of my life, you know.'

'That's awesome! Grandpa's an awesome grandpa.'

'I think so too, Luhan ah.'

'Where...Where's uncle?'

'He likes to sleep by himself, so I come in here for a while. I guess I can go back now. Goodnight, sweetie.'

(Soondeok kisses Luhan on the forehead, Luhan kisses her cheek back)

'Goodnight aunty! Kiss uncle for me too, will you?'

'I'll try. Night.'

(Soondeok goes back to her room, slowly opens the door to enter. The room is pitch black. Soondeok tip-toes to the beddings then slowly slips into the blanket. She turns away from the prince. The prince suddenly hugs her from behind, shocking Soondeok)

'Gosh! You scared me!'

'Naughty of you, staying away from me for so long, huh? You thought I'll sleep without you? Don't even dream about it. I told you, you're my person, didn't I?'

'W...why haven't you fallen asleep yet?'

'The room feels empty without you. Deok ah, you're not mad at me anymore, right? Come on, say you're not mad anymore~ Say it~~'

'Alright, alright! I'm not mad. Aigoo, such a kid.'

'What did you just call me?'

'Throwing tantrum like that, I was just joking back then in the bathhouse you know. And you still deny that you're a kid.'

(Eun hugs Soondeok tighter)

'Ya! Oppa! Watch where you're touching! Ya! Your hands!'

'I told you to think of me as a man, didn't I? You broke the rule first.'

'Then start acting like one, please!'

'Act like a man, you said? Hmmm...does this seem manly to you?'

(Eun uses his legs to wrap around Soondeok's, embracing her tight.)

'Hahaha, Oppa! What are you doing? Are you a monkey? Hahahaha! Let go!'

'Soondeok ah...what say we take a bath together next time?'

'W...what? You...You crazy?'

'Why not?'

'Didn't you say we're in this brother-sister relationship? Brothers and sisters don't do that.'

'Deok ah. I want to hear you call me "darling", please? Darling~ Say it, or I won't let go.'

'What's gotten into you? You're acting really weird these days. And please, cut out the aegyo!'

'Say it~ Come on darling, say it.'

'D....darling.'

'There you go! That was easy, wasn't it?'

(Eun lets go)

'Goodnight Oppa.'

'Goodnight, my little dove~'

(Silence, then Soondeok and Eun suddenly cracks in laughter)

'KKKK!!! Oh!! Oh dear me!!! Tears are coming out!'

'Hahaha, oh, my stomach hurts from laughing.'

'Hahaha...I...I thought you hated calling me that! You did it only for your friends.'

'Aigoo...little dove! HAHAHA!!! Deok ah, this is just between us. Don't let anyone know, okay?'