Don't you dare leave me

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok's Diary

I've bought gifts to send to the people who kept my Eun safe, I hope they'll like it. I'm going to write a letter to them afterwards. They're really loyal to father, to brother and to me, I can't thank them enough. 

Mother sent me a letter yesterday saying our room will be finished by next month! That's just before mid-autumn kicks in, perfect timing! Last winter Eun was sick for one whole month because the nights were too cold and he kept kicking his blankets around. I remember I was worried about his fever – his forehead had been so hot I'm sure I can fry an egg on it! Thankfully it didn't get worse. He kept uttering the name 'Haesoo' every night...I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The way he calls her name...so softly, full of affection, full of care...Oh when is he coming back? I miss him so!

------------------------------------

(Eun returns and heads straight to the kitchen, surprising the maids)

'Here! I've brought them back!'

'Your highness! You're back!'

'Yes. Yes I am. Which one of you is in charge of my wife's medicine?'

(A maid comes forward)

'It is I, your highness.'

'Here, I've brought the herbs back. Were there enough for Soondeok? Did it run out? Is my wife alright?'

'Your highness...I don't understand...we...we've never had the trouble of running out of herbs.'

'But Soondeok's brother said...here, look at these.'

(Eun opens the box and the servants examine it)

'Yes, your highness, this herb is rare...and Lady Soondeok needs it in her medicine...but we've got enough supply of it.'

'What are you saying?'

'Where did you go, your highness, to get these?'

'Far north, the borders.'

'Ahh...I guess you must've not heard then.'

'What?'

'The king passed away...'

'The king? The king...he died?'

'Yes, and Prince Yo almost seized the throne in his riot...surely you must've known!'

'No...not the faintest idea...so are you saying that the Crown prince is now the king...but Yo could've been the king?'

'Exactly sir! Just a few days ago! Your highness, are you alright?'

'Wa...Wa! Daebak! She tricked me? How dare she? She tricked me!!!!! Ha! I'm gonna kill her!!!'

(Eun runs to bedroom, Soondeok was writing letter, Eun snatches the letter away)

'Let's see what we've got here shall we? "Thank you for keeping the prince safe in times of desperate need. May my gifts find favour in you and your men's eyes. My brother and I will never forget what you've done for us. Just one more favour to ask, please keep this matter a secret, especially from the prince. He must not know of it, nor my plan of staying in case Yo becomes king, which gratefully, didn't happen..."'

'Prince! Your highness! Please give it back! Give it back!'

'So that's what you're going to do? Help me out and you stay here, waiting to die?'

'Your highness, what are you talking about?'

'It says so right here! You plan to help me out of Goryeo if Yo becomes king – while you will stay and what, help your father? Was that your plan? To leave me alone?'

'It was to protect you!'

'Telling your men to lock me up for days was protecting me??? You know how I panicked for you, worried about you in those long miserable days? You selfish fool!!!'

'Same thing went for me, your highness! You know how much I went through after the king died? If Yo had been king, he could've killed you! No, I'm sure he will definitely kill you! That was how worried I was...every second of the day, worried that he'll be king and go after you! By sending you away, at least I don't have to...'

'Then you, what about you? Why do you always give me everything? Your love, your protection, your care...everything! Look at me!! LOOK AT ME PARK SOON DEOK!!! I don't deserve all that! I've told you before, stop being so nice to me! If I had lived and you died trying to save your father, would you have been happy?'

'Yes! Yes, I would! Because you're all that matters to me, whether you like it or not! That's love! That's the only way I can express my love to you!!!'

'So, because you love me you'll die for me?'

'Yes!'

'Because you love me you'll abandon me to protect me?'

'Yes!'

'Because you love me you'll just kick me out of the country to save me while you die here, all alone, by yourself??'

'Yes!'

'Who said you can do that? Who gave you the permission to decide all these? Tell me!!! Who allowed you to leave me alone? Who allowed you to save my life with your own? WHO?! TELL ME!!!'

'You wouldn't have minded anyway! You've always wanted to go to the middle lands, to travel, to stay away from me, to get rid of me!!! Didn't you say so? To always stay a few feet away from you! Your own mouth had said it! You told me to stay away from you!!!'

'I TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM ME BUT I'VE NEVER TOLD YOU TO LEAVE ME EITHER!!!!'

(Eun pulls Soondeok by the arm and embraces her, Soondeok struggles to run free)

'Your highness, let go of me! Let go! Let go!'

'Listen to me, Park Soondeok! I will never allow you to leave me! Don't leave me, Soondeok ah...'

(Soondeok stops)

'Deok ah...don't you dare leave me alone. Don't leave me alone in this cold, ruthless world...'

'Y...Your highness...'

(Soondeok embraces the prince)

'I was scared, Deok ah. I was very scared...where were you want I needed you? Where were you when I wanted to embrace you? Where were you when I wanted to see you?'

(Eun lets go and stares at Soondeok, touching her face then smiles)

'Seeing how well you're arguing with me, I guess you're all well now.'

'Prince...'

'Good...that's all that matters, my wife is fine now, back to her energetic self.Oh how long I've prayed on those tedious nights.'

'Your highness...you're not mad?'

'I was! But then, how could I? It was all for my sake...Soondeok ah - I've missed you.'

'Me too, your highness.'

'Deok ah, I have something to tell you...'

'Tell me.'

'But first, I want you to come to the park with me.'

'Park? With you? Now?'

'Yes, with me, now.'

----------- In the park -----------

'So, what is it that you wanted to tell me, prince?'

(Eun smiles at Soondeok and runs his finger through her hair.)

'First, I've got you this on my way back.'

(Eun holds out a box, Soondeok opens it)

'Oh my gosh! Isn't this the ink from the middle lands?'

'Yes! It's said that it gives extraordinary colours! Since you love painting so much, I thought you'd like it. Ah, and I drew this hairband for you-'

'Wow! Look at this ink! It's splendid! Look at it – black, but glowing with all sorts of colour under the sun! Isn't it amazing?!'

'Honey...look at this first, I spent all night drawing this...'

(Soondeok totally mesmerized by the ink)

'How expensive it must've been! How on earth did you get this ink? Was it at the borders? I knew it! I should've gone there myself...'

(Eun kisses Soondeok on the cheek to get her attention, Soondeok looks at Eun in shock)

'Look at this, Deok ah...I drew this for you...do you like it?'

'You drew this? All by yourself? When?'

'Those miserable nights I was locked away...'

'Wow! Your highness, you've really got this talent for painting. I should teach you...I'm not saying this flower painting is not good, it's gorgeous! But I think you can do even better!!'

'I'd like that...but you can't hit me if I hold the brush wrong...and no punishments! I hate copying stuff...'

'I'm the teacher, I'll do whatever I want!'

'I'm your husband! You can't do that to your husband!'

'Then you must pay full attention in class, my dear husband.'

'W-what did you just say? Did you just call me "husband"? Boy! It's the first time, am I right?'

'What? No! I didn't call you that! Not at all!'

'I heard it! Soondeok called me husband!!!!!!'

'Shh! People will hear you!'

'Let them! This is true! Haha!!!'

(Both smiles at each other.)

'What are you suddenly giving me this, Your highness??'

'It's...you know... for our first wedding anniversary. You were away – and I forgot, so I'm giving it to you now. Isn't that what people do? They celebrate their wedding anniversaries?'

(Soondeok kisses Eun on the cheek)

'Thank you, your highness. Thank you, very much.'

(But then Soondeok's smile vanishes)

'Deok ah, what's wrong? Do you not like it?'

'You can tell me the bad news now.'

'What?'

'Isn't that why you did all this? This date in the park, this gift, saying it's for our wedding anniversary...all this, to make me feel better before hearing your bad news. Why? Is something wrong?'

'I really can't hide anything from you, can I?'

'I'm ready. Go on, tell me.'

(Eun holds Soondeok's hands)

'Soondeok ah...'

'Yes, Your highness.'

'I...I think I have to be honest with you. I've been thinking about us...our relationship, our marriage, our future.'

(Eun pauses)

'It's okay, your highness. Go on, I'm listening.'

'I tried...I did try to...to love you, but I just can't bring myself to do that. It's just not the same...I'm sorry.'

(Eun looks down, Soondeok pats him on his shoulder)

'It's alright, your highness, I understand. I won't force you to either.'

'Thanks...but I will be good to you, Deok ah. I promise I'll be good.'

'You've already been good enough to me.'

'No, I haven't. I've been terrible...saying all those things that hurt you, doing all those things to make you feel angry – about me and Haesoo. But I'll change! From now on, I'll be a good son to mother, and a good big brother to you.'

'Big brother?'

'Yes. I'll take care of you, as your big brother would. I'll play with you, as your big brother would. I'll take you out shopping, as your big brother would. I'll do all that – as your big brother would. Just that... I'm sorry...you must be really mad at me right now.'

'Mad? Why would you think I'd be mad? Your highness, thank you for being so honest with me. Thank you, for trying. No, I'm not mad at all.'

'Really?'

'Dreaming of receiving love from your highness is luxury, I've come to realize that a long time ago. Now, I just wish I could be with you everyday for the remaining two years.'

'Remaining two years?'

'Yes, before the three years are up, for the divorce.'

'No, Soondeok, I won't do that.'

'What?'

(Eun holds Soondeok's hands tight)

'Deok ah...let's...let's live together forever.'

'Your highness...'

'Live with me, till our hair turn white, till our faces are full of wrinkles, till we can see our grandchildren, no! Our great-grand children! No matter what happens, we shall stay together. Only death alone can separate us.'

'D...do you really mean it, your highness?'

'With all my heart.'

(Eun holds his pinky up)

'I promise, Soondeok ah. This is a vow I'm willing to make. Promise?'

(Soondeok hooks her pinky with Eun's, then stamps it with her thumb)

'Promise, Oraboni.'

'What?'

'You're going to be my Oraboni now, aren't you? I should call you that when there's just us.'

'But you call everyone "Oraboni"!'

'Not everyone...just Sehun Oraboni, Jongin Oraboni, Junmyeon Oraboni, Minseok Oraboni, Mindeok Oraboni...'

'No way! Uh, this won't do! I can't be on the same rank as them! I'm special to you aren't I? Don't call me "Oraboni", I won't allow it. It needs to be something more special.'

'Like what? It's not like other people will hear me calling you anyway.'

'O...oppa! Yes, that's it! Call me "Oppa"!'

'What's that?'

'Instead of calling me Oraboni, call me Oppa.'

'As in Prince Oppa?'

'No! Like...just "Oppa" or Eun oppa. Try.'

'E...Eun oppa...Oppa.'

'There you go!'

'Then what will you call me?'

'Same as now, Soondeok, or even...Deok ah~'

'Don't do that, aegyos are for kids!'

'Why? You can't handle my cuteness?'

'Aigoo...just look at you. Oppa, let's go home, it's getting late. Father would be worried about us.'