Courtroom

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

(A sound woke Soondeok up, just before dawn, Soondeok sat up on full alert within seconds)

‘Who’s there?’

(A man approached the door of her cell, wearing black, and a straw hat that covered his face)

‘Who…who are you?’

‘Soondeok ah…’

(The man looks up, it’s Bogum)

‘Bogum ah…what…what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with father?’

(Bogum unlocks the cell and opens the door)

‘Bogum ah, what are you doing?’

‘Come on, we don’t have time, we have to go. It’ll only be moments before the soldiers come around.’

‘Where…I can’t go, the court hearing will be in a couple of hours-’

‘Exactly! That’s why we have to go now!’

‘I can’t, escaping will only make things worse.’

‘I’ll take you to a safe place then tell the prince, you two can leave the country before sun is well up, okay?’

‘What about mother? What about father? What about aunt? We can’t leave them behind.’

‘Stop thinking about them and just worry about yourself, Soondeok ah! You know what they can do to you if you’re found guilty? They could literally put you to death for deceiving a member of the royal family!’

‘I’m well aware of that, Bogum ah…but I’m not leaving, it’s just not right, I believe in the prince, he’ll get me out of there, legally. He will, I know he will.’

‘You…why won’t you ever listen to me? I’m trying to…I’m trying to save you! You and that child you’re carrying now, the child of that jerk!’

(Silence)

‘Thank you, Bogum, I can always count on you, but I can’t this time…’

(Soondeok shuts the door close)

‘Please lock it again, Bogum, and leave before the guards come around.’

(Bogum sighs)

‘I see you’re quite determined to stay…is…is there anything you need then? Anything I can do for you? Any words to deliver?’

‘Yes actually…I asked Prince So to find something out for me, but from the looks of it, I’m afraid something’s gone wrong.’

‘What did you ask him to investigate in?’

‘You’ll know eventually. Bogum ah…remember that little hut we used to go to often? You know, after training in father’s camp, that little hut by the palace.’

‘Of course, how can I forget?’

‘Should anything go wrong, I’ll go there and wait for you.’

‘Like what?’

‘Just in case…and remember the secret code we made for fun?’

‘Never forgot about it, I’m still using it every now and then. It was something both of us came up with…why ask?’

‘If I can’t stay in that hut, I’ll write to you in that code, telling you where we’re at, okay?’

‘Why do you sound like you’re planning on an escape?’

‘I’ve been having a bad feeling lately…anyway, I need you to prepare 2 things for me, you can put it inside the hut and I’ll collect it when I go there.’

‘Sure, what do you need?’

------------------------------------------------------------

Judge: The court is now in session. Honorable Wang Gyu, you have the floor.

Grandfather: I’m here for nothing but the truth, Your Honour. And calling for penalty to those who try to hide the truth. This shameless barren wants to stay by my grandson’s side and she’s willing to go to the lengths of lying to the entire family! This is not acceptable!

(Courtroom fills with murmurs, people mumble as they point at Soondeok who’s taken a seat in the middle of the room facing the judge.)

Judge: What is it that you want?

Grandfather: An official divorce, Your Honour! That’s the first step, then an official charge against the girl for deceiving a member of the royal family!

Judge: Aren’t you going a bit overboard, Honorable Wang Gyu?

Grandfather: Lying to the prince is as bad as lying to the king himself! It can be considered as treason, Your Honour! I ask for nothing less then a death sentence that should be carried out before sun down today!

(The room gets even more unsettled, Soondeok tries to stop herself from shaking. She looks around, Eun’s not there. Where is he?)

Judge: By the way, why isn’t the prince present?

(Everyone looks around, in search for the prince)

Judge: Lady Soondeok, daughter of Grand General Park, do you have anything to say in your defense at this moment?

Soondeok: I…I do not, Your Honour.

Judge: That’s too bad…if no one defends the accused, then I have no choice but to call in the royal physician and get her pulse taken now.

(Judge gives a signal and the royal physician comes in)

Judge: Take the pulse now, the girl over there.

Doctor: Yes, Your Honour. Excuse me, My Lady.

(Slowly, Soondeok offers him her wrist and the doctor takes the pulse – for a long time)

Doctor: When’s the last time you had your cycle, My Lady?

Soondeok: Two…no…I think about 3 months now…

(More mumbling in the room, grandfather frowns)

Grandfather: Well doctor, just say it! Stop talking among yourselves!

Doctor: My Lady, have you experienced any kind of nausea or vomiting? Or feeling dizzy when getting up, poor appetite-

Grandfather: Stop asking questions, you old man!

Soondeok: Yes…but why-

(Doctor turns to look at the judge)

Doctor: Your Honour, from my judgement, Lady Soondeok indeed is pregnant.

(Entire court in chaos, grandfather stands up in rage)

Grandfather: What on earth are you talking about? You better not lie in front of everyone here! It’s impossible! She can’t be pregnant!

Doctor: Her pulse, no doubt about it, shows that she’s pregnant, Your Honor. Along with all the other symptoms she has-

Grandfather: Your Honour! It’s because of the herb! The medication she’s been taking! I have proof! A witness!

(Grandfather pulls someone out from the crowd)

Judge: Who are you?

Middle-aged man: I…I sell herbs in the city…I work in a small clinic…

Judge: What is it that you have to say?

Middle-aged man: You see…the prince did stop by my clinic a while ago, asking for a herbal formula and the one I gave him…can…fake pregnancy.

(Entire room gasps)

Judge: Royal physician, is there such a thing?

Doctor: Yes, Your Honor, but it requires the person to take it on a daily basis.

Judge: Call in the guards!

(Guards summoned in)

Guards: Yes, Your Honour?

Judge: Has anyone visited Lady Soondeok these past 3 days?

(Guards hesitated a bit)

Judge: Well? Why aren’t you guys answering?

(One of the guards replied)

Guard: No sir! No one! Except Head Lady Soo from Damiwon, but we checked everything she’s brought along with her, it’s nothing but a blanket and a couple of snacks. Nothing else, Your Honour!

Grandfather: Your Honour! She could’ve taken it then! She must’ve! Someone could’ve put it in a snack-

(The entire room is like a market by now, some people thinking Soondeok’s pregnant while some other people think otherwise)

Judge: ORDER! PEOPLE ORDER! I NEED SILENCE!

Grandfather: Your Honour! I demand that this witch be dealt with now!

Judge: If she’s really pregnant, Honourable Wang Gyu, you’re still asking for a divorce? Even though she might be carrying a baby of the royal blood?

Grandfather: Yes, Your Honour! Nothing less than a divorce!

Eun: AND A DIVORCE THERE SHALL NEVER BE!

(Eun enters into the courtroom dramatically, pushing the doors open and striding inside as rays of light explode behind him)

to be continued...