How long will you wait?

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Oh yes, riding date today! Finally! It’s been so long! Oh, I just missed riding so much! And, I visited Haesoo yesterday, I’m glad she’s doing well at the teahouse. She gave me a few ideas as to how to propose to Soondeok, maybe I’ll pick one of those. But still, it’s not grand enough. I want to make this into a HUGE event, so that she’ll never forget it. I’ve been thinking, maybe I’ll take her for a ride and propose to her during sunset, I’ll make this flowery path for her, how romantic is that? Or, I can bring her to the park and propose to her as we row in a boat on the pond and we can have our maids and servants congratulating us on the shore. Maybe I’ll just decorate our room with lots and lots of flowers and I make some excuse for her to leave the house for a while so when she comes back I can surprise her with it! Oh, I don’t know! All these ideas are good, I don’t know which one I’ll pick. What say I sing to her? Will she like it? And the ring, I still haven’t bought the ring, maybe I’ll do some shopping later.

I also went to see Soondeok’s doctor yesterday and asked him of Soondeok’s condition. Unfortunately, this is the only medicine that works on Soondeok now so she must keep taking it. On the bright side, he did say it’s not impossible for her to carry a child – he’s seen clients who’ve managed to have babies while taking that medicine at that dosage, so I’ve still got hope. Looks like I’ll have to work hard after the 2nd anniversary, ha! Soondeok found my red book yesterday, thank goodness she didn’t read it. Come to think of it, I haven’t read it either. Should I? I was very much tempted to last night, but will Soondeok like it? If she finds out I’ve read it on my own, will she be unhappy? Probably. But I can’t imagine reading it with her as I’d promised. Oh, I don’t know! I’ll just let it slide.

----------------------------------

(They’re about to ride back to town)

‘Soondeok ah! What say we have a race again?’

‘Again? Oppa, you know I’ll win again, don’t you?’

‘Not this time you won’t. I’ll make sure of it! Ya, last time I could’ve won if you hadn’t pulled me down from the horse.’

‘You’re still angry about that?’

‘Of course!’

‘Fine, what bets are we having this time? I go first. If I win, Oppa, you’ll have to let me read your red book first!’

‘Ya! Didn’t we say we’ll read it together?’

‘That’s why I’m making it as a bet!’

‘Fine. And I bet, if I win, you’ll join me in bath today. TODAY!’

‘Oppa! I thought you said we’ll do that on our 2nd anniversary!’

‘That’s why I’m making it as a bet, Deok ah!’

‘Alright! Let’s go!’

(Soondeok darts toward her horse, Eun runs after her)

‘Ya! That’s not fair! I wasn’t ready!’

‘Meet you back home, Oppa!’

(Both of them races across the fields, trying to outrun each other. Finally, they arrive at their home – Eun comes in first. Eun dances around with joy while Soondeok just stands there staring at him.)

‘Oppa! You’re mean! You blocked me!’

‘That’s all part of racing, Deok ah. I’ve won! Now, come into the bath house with me.’

‘You mad? Why would I do that?’

‘I won, haven’t I?’

‘Not in a million years, Oppa!’

‘Oh? You’re just going to walk away? You dare?’

‘Oh I will, watch me.’

(Soondeok walks away, Eun runs after her and picks her up)

‘YA! OPPA!!! Put me down! Put me down!!!’

‘Why should I? Deok ah, did you lose weight again?’

‘Oppa!! Let go!!! Put me down!’

(Eun whistles as he carries Soondeok to the bathhouse)

‘Nope~ I’m not going to put you down, my dear wife. Join me in bath today, Deok ah.’

(Soondeok keeps hitting Eun on his back, but this only made Eun merrier)

‘Be quiet, Deok ah. You want the entire street to know?’

‘Oppa!’

(Eun carries her into the bathhouse and locks the door, he then throws Soondeok into the bathtub, laughing as he looks at her stand up again – soaked from head to toe)

‘OPPA!!! YOU JERK!!!’

‘How’s it? Refreshing right? Today is such a hot day, Deok ah, what say we enjoy a nice bath together, hm?’

‘You dare touch me, I swear I’ll break your fingers, Oppa!’

(Eun smirks, he doesn’t mind at all – he loves to see Soondeok mad)

‘Oh, wait, I forgot. Soondeok ah, you need to take off your clothes when you take a bath.’

(Eun tries to reach into the bath and untie Soondeok’s top, Soondeok splashes water right into his face, making him cough)

‘Deok ah!’

‘You can try – see if you can do it.’

‘Ooohhh, is this a game? Well, I’m sorry Deok ah, but it just so happens, I’m an expert at water-fights.’

(Just then, Eun splashes water into Soondeok’s face, Soondeok pays back just the same, both of them engage in a splashy wet fight.)

‘You! You dare splash me? I’m your husband!’

‘You started it first, your highness!’

‘I started it? You started it! Ya! Come back here!’

‘If you hadn’t carried me in, this wouldn’t have happened, Oppa!’

‘Looks like I haven’t splashed you enough! Come here you!’

(Eun reaches out and grabs Soondeok by her shoulder while Soondeok too grabs Eun by his shoulder. Soondeok goes underwater, bringing Eun’s face underwater as well. Eun lets go and gasps for air.)

‘Wa! You must’ve really wanted to kill me, Deok ah!’

‘Well, Mr. Water-fight expert, looks like you can’t beat me in this too.’

(Soondeok laughs, Eun wipes his eyes – he’s just as wet as Soondeok is, even though he still hasn’t entered the bath tub yet. He smiles as he looks at Soondeok laughing her head off. Without warning, he rushes forward, pulls Soondeok in and kisses her on the lips. Soondeok wanted to pull herself away but stopped resisting and just let things flow.)

‘Remember that night we shared our first kiss?’

‘You mean the night you sneaked into the palace and I hid you in bath with me?’

‘Yeah, that night…’

‘How could I forget?’

‘Oppa…’

‘Hmm?’

‘Why haven’t you come in? I thought you wanted it so badly.’

‘You’ll let me?’

‘It’s a bet afterall…’

(Soondeok slowly starts to untie her top. Eun stops her.)

‘We agreed it’ll be on the 2nd anniversary, didn’t we?’

‘But you just-’

‘What I say, I’ll do. That bet was just to heat things up, I didn’t want our race to be too boring.’

‘I…’

‘You can stay and take a bath here. I’ll use your bath, hm darling?’

(Eun turns to leave. Soondeok grabs him by the arm and pulls him into the bathtub.)

‘Ya! Hahahaha! Ya, Park Soondeok! You mad? I said I don’t want to-’

‘There, I have now joined your bath – don’t say I haven’t. You’ve won the bet and I gave you what you wanted. Fair?’

‘Wa, you really…’

‘So in the future, don’t say things like, “Remember that time we made a bet and you didn’t give me what I wanted?” whatsoever. Alright?’

‘Wa, you really think ahead, Deok ah. Impressive. Now that we’re both here, what say we-’

(Soondeok splashes him in the face)

‘Kmmmm…I mean, I was going to say, what say we decide on who’ll leave?’

‘I’ll go, Oppa, this is your side of the bathhouse after all.’

‘Deok ah, one last kiss?’

‘We can kiss all we want in our room.’

‘The bath’s different, Deok ah.’

(Soondeok gives him a peck)

‘There, see ya later.’

------------------------------------------------

(Bedtime)

‘Oppa, is something on your mind, you seem quiet tonight.’

‘I’ve been thinking…’

‘That’s new! What’ve you been thinking about?’

‘It’s…nothing…’

(In fact, Eun’s been thinking about the proposal, and how he should do it)

‘Nothing? You sure?’

‘I’m fine, dear.’

‘You…you can tell me, who knows? Maybe I can help you, somehow…’

‘Deok ah, say…your brother wants to give you a surprise party, how would you like it?’

‘I…my Oraboni? Well, he doesn’t do stuff like that.’

‘No, I mean, what if he does. How would you want it to be like?’

‘Honestly, Oppa, I don’t really love stuff like this.’

‘Really?’

‘Yeah…parties, huge events…I don’t really like it…’

‘Then…then what about the birthday party I prepared for you a few months ago? Did you hate it?’

‘No! I loved it, really!’

‘You’re not making sense, Deok ah.’

‘I loved it because I can see your thoughts and love in it, Oppa. More than the event itself, it’s the meaning and effort behind it that moves me the most.’

‘I see…’

‘Why? Are you preparing for mother’s birthday party next year already?’

‘I…sort…sort of, preparing for something…’

‘Aigoo, our prince really changed a lot. Well, if you need any ideas, just ask.’

‘Thanks, Soondeok ah.’

(Soondeok stretches her arms)

‘So, there, now we got that out of the way…we should-’

‘We should sleep, Deok ah.’

‘Oppa, you’re not going to kiss me tonight?’

‘Na…’

‘Then, should I kiss you instead?’

(Eun embraces Soondeok)

‘We don’t need to kiss every night, darling.’

‘Oh…I thought you like it…’

‘I do. But that’s not what love is all about. Love is not about the body only, Deok ah…I miss talking with you.’

‘I was afraid if I don’t kiss you, you won’t love me…Oppa.’

‘Nonsense! Deok ah, love comes before it all. That’s the strange thing with our society…making couples sleep with each other first before nurturing love.’

‘Hmmm? What do you mean?’

‘Arranged marriages, I mean…in most cases, the couples don’t even know each other but they have to sleep together already. Rubbish.’

‘Is…is that why you didn’t sleep with me on our first night?’

(Silence)

‘Yes, Deok ah…no reason to dodge this fact. I really really hated you back then. Really. I didn’t love you, so I couldn’t bring myself to kiss you or sleep with you either.’

‘I understand…’

‘But then later, Deok ah, I’ve come to realize…it takes more love to NOT sleep with you than to sleep with you.’

‘W-what do you mean?’

(Eun touches Soondeok’s face)

‘Oh, my darling. I love you too much…too much that I can’t sleep with you yet.’

‘Oppa, you do realize you’re not making sense in what you’re saying, right?’

(Eun chuckles)

‘Someday, Deok ah, you’ll understand.’

‘Oppa~’

(Both of them embraces each other tighter)

‘Oppa…I’ve been thinking…’

‘About what?’

‘Maybe you should…start seeing other girls…’

‘Hmm?’

‘I’m sure there are plenty of them in the capital to your taste, Oppa.’

‘Wait…Deok ah, what are you talking about?’

‘Oppa…find someone you like…date her…then marry her.’

(Eun sits up)

‘Ya! Soondeok ah, what in the world are you blabbing about?’

(Soondeok sits up as well and places her hand on Eun’s)

‘I can’t have kids, Oppa…we can’t keep mother waiting.’

(Eun takes his hand away)

‘I won’t!’

‘Oppa, listen to me! It’s just a matter of time…you need a second wife, Oppa.’

‘Never!’

‘Oppa…’

‘I’ll keep trying, Deok ah. The doctor said it’s not impossible, Deok ah. You can!’

‘How long will you wait, Oppa? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? You think mother can wait that long?’

‘It’s between you and I, not mother.’

‘Then when you’re 40, what if you’re still childless then? Then will you marry? What about when you’re 50? 60? Will you then?’

‘Deok ah…’

‘If you’re going to marry anyway…you should do it sooner.’

‘Why are you doing this to me, Deok ah?’

‘I’m doing it for you, Oppa.’

‘Enough! I will hear none of it!’

(Eun runs out of the bedroom, Soondeok follows out)

‘Oppa!! Oppa!!! Your highness!’

(Soondeok finds Eun by the blossom tree, the one Prince So gave them on their wedding. Soondeok walks over and places her hand on his back)

‘Don’t touch me!’

‘Oppa…’

(Eun turns around and kisses Soondeok – Soondeok tries to pull away but Eun won’t break off)

‘Oppa!’

‘I won’t, Deok ah. I will not do it! You can beg all you want, but I will never kiss nor sleep with another woman in my life! Never…’

‘But Oppa…’

‘Soondeok ah. So what? What if we never have kids, so what? We have each other, me and you, isn’t that all we need?’

‘Oppa…’

(Eun hugs Soondeok under the moonlight)

‘It’s not something we can decide anyway. If it’s heaven’s will, there’s nothing we can do to change it. But Deok ah, I love you, know that I love you no matter what, hm?’

‘I’m sorry…Oppa…I really am…’

‘Don’t cry, dear…am I not better than 12 kids?’

(Soondeok smiles a bit)

‘Still…what about mother?’

‘She’ll understand, you know how mother is. Now dear, it’s windy out here, let’s go back inside, it’s getting late anyway.’