Tamra at last

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

‘Now darling, be kind to me, don’t make it so- OUCH!’

(Soondeok tightens the knot)

‘Damn it Deok ah! I can’t breathe!’

‘Just stand still already, Oppa, we need to make sure this thing doesn’t fall off. Your life depends on-’

‘My life depends on it, I know I know, for the 30th time you said this. Honey, you may as well make me wear an armor for all I care. Gosh! It’s heavier than it looks. I can’t breathe-’

‘Oppa! Don’t move!’

(Eun examines the piece of fabric Soondeok’s put on him)

‘Deok ah, I’m sweating already! This feels like leather…wait, is this…two layers? You’re making me wear leather on a hot summer day and with TWO layers?!’

‘Yeah, and there’s a sac inside.’

‘What’s inside the sac?’

‘Blood. Animal blood.’

‘Animal blood? You’ve got to be joking!’

‘I’m not, it’ll do a marvelous job if it doesn’t come off, it saved many of my father’s men when they’re in service, helping them fake dead…now, last thing before I forget. Here, keep it safe.’

(Soondeok gives Eun a pill wrapped in paper, Eun brings it close to his nose and smells it)

‘Smells extremely bitter to me.’

‘It’s poison after all, Oppa, of course it’s bitter.’

‘P…poison?’

‘One that’s good enough to knock you out in less than 3 minutes but not enough to take your life for real.’

‘You’re not telling me to take this stinky pill, right?’

‘That’s exactly what I’m suggesting, Oppa.’

‘EW! I’m not putting this in my mouth.’

‘Oh yes you are, if you want to live.’

(Eun stares at the package in his palm uneasily)

‘So…it’ll just bring me to the heaven gates but not let me go pass them?’

‘It depends on how well you perform at your last moments, you know, to impress the people and persuade them that they’ve successfully killed you.’

‘Oh I don’t know, I’m not trained for this kind of things, Deok ah.’

‘Just do what you always do.’

‘Which is?’

‘Act. You acted like a stupid, clumsy prince for most of your life, I don’t see why you can’t pull this off. Now don’t swallow it unless you have to, keep it below your tongue beforehand so others won’t see…it’s not too big, it won’t be too obvious…and…yeah, that’s pretty much it.’

‘Deok ah, what if hyung does something to me when I’m unconscious? You know…like…what if they behead us or hang us or burn us after I…lose my consciousness? We won’t be able to fight back.’

(Soondeok steps forward and whispers softly)

‘Then you’ll be granted a peaceful and painless death, my dear husband. We’re no longer given the luxury to pick a road to travel on, we simply travel on the road we’ve been forced to take.’

‘More like forced to wear-’

(Soondeok slaps him on the chest)

‘Oh Oppa just stop complaining about your clothes already!’

(Eun pouts. Silence. Soondeok gives him a peck.)

‘Sorry Oppa…I’m not myself today…stressed, that’s all. I’m sorry about that just then.’

‘You hurt me…’

‘I know, I-’

‘That ought to worth 2 pecks more at least, darling! Or better yet, a proper kiss!’

(Soondeok chuckles while gazing upon her husband’s stern face, followed by other 2 pecks on his lips before he breaks into a smile once again)

‘There, my dear husband.’

‘I’m a warrior today darling.’

‘Warrior? What do you mean, Oppa?’

‘I’ll fight like one, and I’ll die proudly like one – without a hint of fear.’

‘Will you really be able to do that, Oppa? Don’t overestimate your mind power, it’s not good.’

‘It won’t kill trying.’

(Both hug for who knows how long)

‘Oppa, you have to let go, Haesoo could be here any minute.’

‘Just let me embrace you a while longer…’

(Soondeok looks up at her husband with her teary eyes)

‘This might be our last hug, Soondeok ah…I want to treasure it.’

(Soondeok sniffs)

‘No, it’s not going to be our last hug, I’ll do whatever I can to make it not our last, Your Highness.’

(Eun touches her face gently)

‘You know last night, looking at you sleeping…I thought to myself, what a great life we’ve had, hm? Don’t you think so? It’s like…a story, a fascinating story, just think about all the ups and downs we’ve been through.’

‘Indeed.’

‘And then I thought, what a pity, that we’ve never written our story down. Our story will remain our’s only…one that no one will ever know…no one will ever know of the adventures we’ve had, nor the development of our love…no one but us will ever know…and it’s quite sad frankly.’

‘Oh Oppa, our story is exciting and fun because it’s about us, I doubt anyone will be interested in our little story – they’d be interested in their own universe.’

‘Still, our story was nothing of the ordinary, there’s bound to be people who’d like reading it.’

‘So what you’re saying is, you’d write a book about us should we get out of here alive today?’

‘Na, writing is too troublesome…’

‘Oppa, you know what your problem is? You’ve got all these amazing ideas but you’re too lazy to execute any of them!’

‘Not all the time, honey. I never pulled back when I told you I wanted having babies with you.’

‘O…other than that Oppa…sure it’s not all the time, but most of the time. Besides, what kind of idiots will read about our story should you really write it down? It’d never sell good if you try to sell it, nor will anyone borrow it should you ever put it in a library.’

‘Now we don’t know about that yet, Deok ah.’

‘Seriously? You think people will read about our lives of the past 3 years? Boy, just how many pages are you planning to write?’

‘It can be long, or it can be short. In fact, I’ve already thought of the short version and it goes like this. “So that’s how I met the love of my life – this life, next life, and the life afterwards. The end.” How’s that?’

(Soondeok pushes Eun away in laughter)

‘Quit dreaming, Oppa, we have to go. Give one last good look around and see if we’ve missed anything. We didn’t bring much with us but it won’t hurt to double-check.’

------------------------------------------------

(Soondeok wakes up in a gasp as she feels herself being pulled out of her memory, eyes wide open, her heart beating fast and hard, her breath quick and shallow, her forehead covering in sweat. Not knowing the reason, she feels awfully dizzy – the room is dim though it’s obvious that it’s still day time for sunlight can be seen slipping into the room between the boards that’s been used to cover the windows.)

‘What…what happened?’

(Grunting, she makes herself sit up and takes a careful look around. An empty room, she can hear the sound of water flowing nearby, a creek perhaps. Her entire body aches as if she’s just rolled off of a mountain.)

‘Where…where am I?’

(Soondeok asks herself, then suddenly remembers everything that’s happened just before she passed out.)

‘Wife…Deok ah…It’s alright, Deok ah, it’s alright. Deok ah, it’s alright, let’s go together, okay? Deok ah? Deok ah! Deok ah! No! Deok ah, not yet. Soondeok ah…Soondeok ah…’

(She hears the prince’s words ringing in her ears)

‘The prince…the soldier…the sword…I was…’

(Immediately, she unties her top to check for a wound on her chest – there was none, no wound whatsoever, with the fabric she’s been wearing that entire day which saved her from that heavy blow still on her – torn and the sac of blood being empty of course.)

‘I wonder what happened to the prince…I must go find him-’

(She moves herself over to the edge of the bed but was too lightheaded to stand up, she must’ve been asleep for a very long time. Just then, someone comes into the room with some food.)

‘Who goes there?’

(Alert, Soondeok asks. The lady carrying a tray of food walks closer to Soondeok and eventually Soondeok can see her in the light. She’s Mi-ah.)

‘My Lady, you’re up!’

(Mi-ah puts the tray down and looks at Soondeok, concerned)

‘My Lady, are you feeling alright? You still look very pale, here, have some soup.’

‘You’re…Mi-ah, right? I’m sorry, my mind’s a bit slow right now.’

(Mi-ah smiles)

‘Yes, My Lady, the girl His Royal Highness saved, the girl YOU saved. I would’ve been forced to marry his grandpa had it not been for you and his help.’

‘Ah yes…that’s right, and you’re…Bogum’s wife, if I remember correctly from our last encounter.’

‘Yes…our children would’ve been able to play together, grow up together if you and the prince didn’t have to leave. They’d be the same age too…’

‘Mi-ah…’

‘What is it, My Lady? Are you worried about the prince? Don’t worry, he’s going to be alright, the doctor’s attending him now.’

‘No, I was…I was going to ask…are you…pregnant then?’

‘Yes, I’m pregnant, if that’s what you wanted to ask, My Lady.’

‘I thought so!’

‘I heard you’re pregnant too, My Lady, I heard all about the court case.’

‘Well…that…forget about that. Man! I ought to have prepared a gift for you, Mi-ah!!’

‘My husband’s not so joyous about our child’s presence though.’

(Mi-ah touches her belly uneasily)

‘Why…why isn’t he? Bogum loves children.’

‘He said he didn’t want to bring his child into the world now…this dim and ruthless period of Goryeo anyway. Oh but we don’t have to discuss about that now. Here My Lady, have some soup.’

(Soondeok stops after a sip)

‘What’s the matter, My Lady? Too salty? Too bland?’

‘It must be the pill…the effect has yet to wear off…I feel like emptying my stomach upon the slightest taste and smell of food now…hunger is the least of my concern to be honest. Is…is there a way for me to meet my husband?’

‘I can show you the way to the doctor’s office, but you seem a bit too weak to be on your feet right now, My Lady.’

‘Is it far off?’

‘A bit…it’s on the other side of town.’

‘Town?’

‘Ah…our town, our mini-town. Well, town is merely a fancy word for those who are homesick, it’s more like a hideout here really.’

‘Hide…hideout?’

(Just then comes a knock on the door before a man enters, he steps into the light and Soondeok recognizes him at once. Mi-ah leaves the room for them to chat privately.)

‘You’re finally up, Lady Soondeok.’

‘Hyungsik-ssi…you’re…Hyungsik…right?’

‘That’s right.’

‘And you are…Bogum’s twin brother…right? I’m sorry if I got it wrong.’

‘That is most certainly correct, My Lady.’

‘You’re here…where…where am I?’

‘Where do you think we are? Like what my sister-in-law said just then, this is our hideout, our hiding place, or fortress, if you may.’

‘Hiding place…’

‘You should recall what I do for a living – well, what my men and I do, to be exact.’

‘You guys steal from the rich and give to the needy. The heroes of our people.’

‘Well, the hero part is just something made up by the public, but yes, that’s part of what we do, only a part anyway…it’s enough for you to get the idea.’

‘How’s uh…how’s my husband?’

‘If you mean to ask whether he is still alive after coming here with his body covered in blood and an arrow buried deep inside his abdomen then I suppose the answer is yes.’

‘ARROW?’

‘What made you so surprised? Yes, your husband the prince is here too, in another room – the doctor’s been with him for hours, not sure if- What- Where are you going, My Lady? You can’t go there! The doctor’s not finished yet! You’re not well enough to walk yet!’

(But Soondeok’s long on her two feet, stumbling her way towards the door as she used the furniture inside the room to aid her way. The thought of Eun covered in blood and with an arrow in his body, the thought of never seeing him open his eyes again – she has to see it for herself, she has to be there with her husband, even if it’s only to say goodbye. She opens the door and immediately looks at Mi-ah, who’s been standing outside her room.)

Soondeok: ‘Please take me to my husband.’

Mi-ah: ‘But My Lady- Whoa! Careful, My Lady!’

(Soondeok’s legs give away and was so close to collapsing)

‘Where’s my husband? Tell me!’

(Soondeok, in tears, shouts back into her room, asking Hyungsik to lead her right away)

Hyungsik: ‘Lady, calm down, we’ll let you know of the progress once we have words from the doctor, you should stay in your room.’

Soondeok: ‘Listen, I’m going to see my husband, one way or another. Now tell me, which direction should I crawl towards?’

(Hyungsik gives Mi-ah a look, Mi-ah shrugs her shoulder. At last he gives a big sigh.)

Hyungsik: ‘My Lady…You really don’t need to be in a hurry like that, he’s still stable.’

Soondeok: ‘I’ll make a judge of that, sir.’

(Hyungsik squats low)

Hyungsik: ‘I’ll carry you then, My Lady, in your condition, you could barely walk 5 steps from where you’re standing now.’

(So Mi-ah helps Soondeok onto his back. Hyungsik carries her across to the other side of the the “fortress” they’re in, one with high walls made of wood, with high towers and many look-out posts, to protect the people that contains within – a mini-society away from the world, away from violence, away from politics, away from poverty. Hyungsik pauses in front of a building of what must’ve been the community’s clinic.)

‘He’s inside.’

(Without a word, Soondeok gets off his back, opens the door and staggers in. Sure enough, there he is, her beloved husband laying there with a doctor next to him, wrapping a bandage on his right arm.)

‘Doctor, how’s he?’

(Hyungsik breaks the silence for Soondeok, the doctor looks up at him then at Soondeok before saying anything)

‘Chief, he’s stable, he should be good to travel by tonight, once he wakes up that is.’

‘Has he not woken up yet?’

‘No, Chief, not yet. And the arrow in his arm was a tricky one, I spent a great deal of time trying to get the arrow head out without damaging his nerves…I tried my best, but we still have to wait a while before knowing whether he can move his fingers ever again…’

‘Thank you doctor, we appreciate your help. If you don’t mind, please give us a minute alone with him.’

‘Certainly, Chief.’

(The doctor leaves the room, Hyungsik too turns to leave.)

‘My Lady, if there’s anything you need, just come out to fetch me, I’ll be right outside, even if I’m not here, Mi-ah will be.’

‘Thank you…very much.’

(Soondeok at last speaks. Hyungsik shuts the door, leaving her with Eun alone in the room. She kneels next to the bed and holds his hand tightly)

‘Oh Oppa…what happened? I didn’t think they’d use arrows…the fabric’s not for arrows…I should’ve thought of it…’

(Soondeok sniffs as her tears roll down her cheek, landing on Eun’s)

‘Oppa…please wake up…please open your eyes…the effect should’ve worn out by now…why are you still unconscious?’

(She shuts her eyes and pray earnestly, then she hears a murmur from her husband)

‘N…’

‘O…Oppa?’

‘Mm…hhh…f…’

‘O…Oppa! Are you waking up? Oh Oppa…don’t die! I love you, I love you very much, you can’t leave me like this. Not when we’re so close to freedom! Please open your eyes, say something, anything!’

‘P…’

(Soondeok leans closer to hear Eun speak properly, just then, Eun kisses her on the cheek)

‘Park Soondeok, I want to drink a decent cup of water, not your salty tears. Please stop crying and fetch me a cup of water darling.’

(This made Soondeok jump up)

‘O…Oppa!’

(Eun stretches on the bed)

‘Enough playing dead for one day – for a life time in fact, aigoo my nose! You have no idea! I’ve been dying to scratch my nose the entire day!’

(Eun sits up and scratches his nose with his unwounded hand)

‘But…you were…that was…what was…I…I thought…the arrow…’

‘You thought I’d die? Or I’d be half-dead? Just because of a stupid arrow?’

‘Well…they said…the arrow-’

‘Yes, see my clothes there, look at the blood stain and you’ll see that an arrow had pierced into me, here.’

(Eun points to his tummy to where the arrow should’ve been)

‘But…why aren’t you…hurt, Oppa?’

‘Well, I am, in the arm, that one really did hurt like hell.’

‘Yeah but…what about that arrow you talked about, the one that shot here in your abdomen? That…that could’ve ended you…even with the fabric-’

‘Yes, I figured that out, the fabric alone didn’t save me from that shot, I really could’ve died, had it not been for those.’

‘Those?’

(Eun points at the 2 books placed next to his old bloody garment at the end of his bed)

‘Our diaries, Oppa!’

‘Yes, well you said we can’t bring them with us in our bags, and that we can’t let anyone look at them, so I figured out that I ought to carry them around, so I brought them with me.’

‘Why did I not see it when I helped tie the fabric around you this morning, Oppa?’

‘Because I hid them beneath my undergarment, who would’ve thought they would save me, huh? So next time, listen to your husband, Deok ah, if you had burned them the other night, I would’ve turned into a ghost by now.’

‘OH OPPA!’

(Soondeok kisses him)

‘Thank you! Thank you for staying alive!’

‘No, thank you, Deok ah, you’re the one who thought of the plan, with the pills and all.’

‘So…what really happened after I passed out?’

‘Hyung shot me in the arm first, and before he could shoot me the second time, So hyung-nim came and tried to stop him, but in the middle of the chaos, the king shot me the second time, right into me. That force was so great, I thought I was really done for…but after a couple of seconds, I could still breathe with ease and I felt no pain, that’s when I realized that I had been shielded…quite well.’

‘Oh how terrifying it must’ve been for you, Oppa.’

‘It was…I mean, you just passed out like that and slept like a dead person, but I had to go through minutes of acting before the pill finally took effect, you had no idea how tough that acting was for me.’

‘Were you any good?’

‘If I weren’t, you think I’d be here talking to you now?’

‘True…’

‘Eventually I had So hyung kill me.’

‘OH MY! And he did?’

‘He sure did.’

‘But that’s so risky! What if he slashes you right on the neck?’

‘Well, he didn’t, and it’s a risk I had to take, to make my death ever more convincing. What happened next is not for me to tell…because I don’t know.’

‘What’s important is that we made it out of the palace alive.’

‘Yes, Deok ah, but we’re still not out of danger. We still need to get on a boat and go to Tamra.’

‘I’m sure Hyungsik will take care of that for us.’

‘Now let’s get something to eat.’

‘Oppa, I don’t understand…then why did the doctor spend so long treating you?’

‘Oh, because of my arm, the wound’s quite deep, it may take a couple of weeks for it to heal…and there’s a chance I might never be able to use it again.’

‘Oh dear!’

(Eun move his fingers a bit before it was too painful for him to continue)

‘The nerves, he said, he tried to get the arrow head out without damaging them, that’s why he took so long.’

(Soondeok kisses his hand and smiles)

‘It’ll recover, I’m sure Oppa.’

(Then comes a knock on the door before Hyungsik comes in)

Hyungsik: ‘Dinner’s ready, Your Highness, would you like to join us out in the open by the fire or would you prefer having it in your room?’

Eun: ‘You’re the chief here, Hyungsik-ssi, you decide.’

Hyungsik: ‘But Your Highness-’

Eun: ‘I am a prince no more, I’m just a normal citizen like you, and I’d very much appreciate if you think the same too.’

Soondeok: ‘Oh darling, dinner by the fire sounds fun! I bet the weather’s quite good today too! Let’s have dinner with everyone then!’

(Eun nods)

Eun: ‘If it won’t trouble you, chief, we’d love to join you guys for dinner.’

Hyungsik: ‘With pleasure! Oh, and I told the other people here that you’re just a guest stopping by, I didn’t tell them who you are so rest assured.’

Eun: ‘What kind of people do you have here with you?’

Hyungsik: ‘Slaves, mostly slaves who have fled from their masters, who would’ve had to face a death penalty if they were caught. But they’re all nice people, talented people, they’d be successful in this country had they not been born a slave.’

Eun: ‘The slave system of this nation…I regret being part of the family that had kept this ruthless system even after getting rid of the previous one…’

Soondeok: ‘Oppa, let’s not talk about this now, everyone’s waiting for us to eat. Chief, may I ask where our bags are? We’ll change before dinner, can’t let them see us covered in blood.’

Hyungsik: ‘I’ll have Mi-ah bring them to you now.’

------------------------------------------------

(Soondeok didn’t eat much despite the food being indescribably delicious. Not wanting to seem odd, she quietly sneaked away and climbed to one of the lookout posts to have some fresh air, sighing over the evening sky that could be the last she’d see of this country, sinking deep into thoughts)

‘My Lady, are you alright?’

(Hyungsik approaches Soondeok)

‘Chief, what’re you doing up here?’

‘I’ve been looking for you…is there anything I can help you? The food, was it…not to your taste?’

‘Oh no no no, not at all, it’s just I’m not quite hungry now, that’s all. What is it that has brought you here?’

‘This has, actually.’

(Hyungsik gives her an envelope)

‘It’s from your father, the Grand General.’

‘Father? This is my father’s letter to me?’

(Just as she’s about to take the letter out of the envelope to read it, Hyungsik stops her)

‘Your father told me to tell you this…don’t read it until you’ve left Goryeo.’

(Soondeok carefully feels the envelope with her fingers)

‘I…I see…’

‘But…I’m sure you can still read it now…you’re a rational person, My Lady.’

‘You really think dad told me not to read it now because he worries that I’d miss him even more and would run to him?’

‘Isn’t that what he meant?’

‘No…’

(Soondeok stares at the envelope in her hands)

‘It means that he won’t see me off tomorrow…that we probably won’t meet again for a very long time…and that he’s telling me to never return to this land.’

‘I see…It’s for the best, My Lady, the king still got his men watching him when I went over to his place today. Your father is in no safer situation than you are.’

‘How is he?’

‘He’s well, he tells you not to worry about him.’

‘Hyungsik-ssi.’

‘Yes?’

‘Would you mind telling me how you got us out? I’m quite curious about what happened after I went down.’

‘I can only offer you the little I heard from my brother, he said that the king left with his guards after Prince So finished your husband off, only Prince Jung, Lady Haesoo and your father stayed by your bodies afterwards. Then my brother went to them with the decree from the king – you and the prince were to be thrown out of the city and be fed to crows, because you guys are traitors, he said.’

‘I’m not surprised. Somehow am thankful too.’

‘My brother must’ve planned it all along to have found favor in the king’s eyes, that’s how he got the king to entrust him with the job of getting rid of your bodies. He got you and the prince out of the palace, without much trouble, I saw Prince Jung followed behind too.’

‘So no one else knew that we survived?’

‘Just Prince Jung and your father know, even Lady Haesoo doesn’t know I’m told.’

(Silence)

‘Well I suppose that’s all I ought to know…Hyungsik-ssi, what will be the arrangement for tomorrow?’

‘We’ll take you to a port not far from here, it’s not a major one so there shouldn’t be many soldiers there guarding it. From the information I’ve collected, the king has lifted the ban on all ports so people can travel freely now, but to play safe, we still chose a port that’s less…significant. My men and I will take you there, you and the prince will disguise as merchants on a business trip, we’ll give you your fake identification papers tomorrow.’

‘Sorry to have caused you this much trouble…’

‘It’s the least I can do for you and the prince, after all, you two saved did my mother…’

(A sudden wave of cheers reaches them and they turned around to see what’s going on. The music has started and people began dancing to it, hopping around on their feet, waving their arms in the air with bright smiles on their faces. The children start running around the fire, giggling as they jump into the air with joy.)

‘How lovely for them to live here, away from the rest of the world, enjoying real freedom here. You’ve done a great thing, Hyungsik-ssi.’

(Hyungsik smiles)

‘My Lady, I know this may not be what I should suggest, but I believe I ought to let you know of this option.’

(Soondeok turns and looks at him)

‘My Lady, to be honest, you and the prince are safe here, the king and his men will never find us and even if they do locate us, we’ve got numerous escape plans to ensure that none of us will ever get captured. I think…the thing I’d like to say is that…you and the prince are more than welcome to stay here with us.’

‘But we wouldn’t want to trouble you-’

‘That won’t be the least of our concerns, My Lady, on the contrary, you’d be a great addition to our team! You can teach our men how to fight properly, since most of them have never received proper martial arts training before. As for the prince, well, he’d give us valuable information about the palace since he grew up there, not to mention him teaching us how things run in the royal court.’

‘I see what you mean, chief.’

‘You don’t have to answer me now, My Lady, you have tonight to think it through with your husband.’

(With a bow and a grin, Hyungsik leaves. Soondeok looks up at the starry sky again and sighs. The idea of staying here seems nice, but Goryeo is still Goryeo and danger is still danger.)

‘Here you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you, love!’

(Eun runs up to Soondeok and gives her a hug)

‘Oppa.’

‘What on earth are you doing up here?’

‘Just…thinking. I heard the music play a while ago, did you hear that?’

‘Heck, I was the one who played on the flute just then, honey!’

‘Really? No wonder it sounded familiar.’

‘The people here are lovely, and the kids, oh the kids, they’re a bundle of joy, aren’t they?’

‘Oppa.’

‘Yes?’

‘Would you like to stay here?’

‘Well of course! This is a wonderful place! It’s a great place for us to rest before going to Tamra, don’t you think?’

‘No, Oppa…as in…stay here for good.’

‘What?’

‘Hyungsik-ssi offered us to stay here, and by all means, he’s doing it for us I know, leaving our homeland is not easy…so…what do you think?’

‘What about you, honey, I’d like to know what you think, Deok ah.’

‘It’s a nice place…this mini-town with all its people…’

(Soondeok pauses)

‘But?’

‘But…I’m worried. This place is still…Goryeo after all. But if you want, Oppa, we can stay here.’

(Eun holds Soondeok’s hands and stares into her eyes with a smile on his face)

‘My homeland is wherever you are, Soondeok ah. I’ve been living in this country all my life, been imprisoned here since the day I was born, the very thought of the palace suffocates me…the only reason that kept me here was my family, my mother…my aunt…but they’re all gone now…’

‘Oppa…’

‘I no longer want to be a bird in a cage, I want to fly, even if that means I’ll face the storm, hunger and other danger…because even though I’ll have to face those, I’ll still be free. Besides, I have you, don’t I?’

(Soondeok embraces her husband)

‘Let’s go then, to Tamra, tomorrow. You and I.’

‘Thank you, darling, thank you.’

------------------------------------------------

(Eun jerks up at the sound of their door opening, obviously he didn’t realize he had fallen asleep while waiting for his wife to join him in bed. Sleepy and only half conscious, he opens his eyes slightly and murmurs)

‘Deok ah, what are you doing? Opening the door to let the breeze in? You feel stuffy in here?’

‘I’m just going out.’

‘What, now?’

(Eun looks out the window)

‘It’s…it’s almost dawn…did you not sleep at all last night, Deok ah?’

‘I slept through the entire day yesterday, didn’t feel like sleeping at night. Besides, we’ll be leaving soon won’t we? Got to settle one last thing here in Goryeo.’

‘Wait, where are you heading, Deok ah? What’s that in your hand? Honey? Wait for me!’

(Eun almost falls out of bed as he chases after his wife, they walk out of the minitown together into the woods and Soondeok stops before they’ve gone too far off from the gates. She glares at the tree she’s picked carefully, from top to the roots, and finally gives the tree trunk a nice pat.)

‘Yeah, this tree will do.’

‘Soondeok ah, what on earth are you doing?’

(Soondeok hands him over a metal box which felt heavy as Eun takes it in his hand.)

‘You hold onto this while I dig, Oppa, it won’t take long.’

(And away she goes, digging a hole with a shovel which she managed to grab hold of before coming out. Before long, Soondeok’s dug a deep hold beside the giant tree, one of the many in this forest.)

‘Honey, what’s in this metal box? It’s heavy…gosh the lid is tight. Ya! Park Soondeok! Why did you put our diaries in here?’

‘What’s the point of keeping them? It’s covered in blood and there’s a hole in them.’

‘Still, they saved my life!’

‘That’s why I’m burying them instead of burning them. Now give me the box, I’m dropping them in.’

(Reluctantly, Eun puts the lid back on and returns it to his wife, running his hands over the box one last time)

‘Bye, my babies…’

‘Oppa, it’s just our diaries that’s gonna be buried here, not our memories.’

‘That is true.’

‘Down it goes. Good, now let’s cover this up before chief finds us missing and go nuts.’

(As she does so, Eun asks)

‘Honey, what if someone digs it up and reads our diaries?’

‘Not like anyone will stop by here, it’s too far from the city, and the people in the mini-town won’t come here, they tend to take the route up north if they ever leave the town. That’s where the creek is too, so I doubt they’ll ever come down here.’

‘No, I mean…as in…many many years later.’

‘Phew, done! What, what did you say Oppa?’

‘I mean, what if someone finds our diary centuries later?’

‘Oh I don’t think our diaries will still be readable by then.’

‘But you put it in a metal box, Deok ah, what if-’

‘Who cares if they read it centuries later? Didn’t you say you want other people to know our love story? Besides, we’d be long gone by then, it won’t really affect us, darling. Except…well, maybe they’ll comment on your poor handwriting.’

‘Ya~’

(Soondeok giggles)

‘Now you wish you had neater handwriting and have written in proper sentences, no? I imagine the people will be like “Look at this! This person writes like a ten-year-old!”~’

(Soondeok teases Eun as she makes her way back to the mini-town.)

‘Ya Park Soondeok! You come here! Just because my right arm is pain doesn’t mean I can’t punish you with my other arm! Come back here!’

‘Hurry up Oppa! The guards at the gates only let us out for 10 minutes! They said they’ll tell the chief if we don’t go back by then.’

------------------------------------------------

(Just as the sun is starting to warm the morning up, they arrive at the small village where the port is located. Though it’s still quite early, the port is already filled with people – they can hear the noise all the way from where they’re at.)

Hyungsik: ‘We’ll drop you off here, it’s safer that way. But I’m afraid you’ll have to walk a bit.’

Soondeok: ‘Thank you, chief, for everything.’

Eun: ‘Yes, we owe you our lives.’

Hyungsik: ‘Just promise me you’ll stay alive…and if we may…may we meet again some day. Mother would like to see you guys one more time before she dies.’

Eun: ‘Where’s your mother?’

Hyungsik: ‘She’s still at the place the Grand General has settled her, she’ll be waiting and so will we. Oh, before I forget, these are your new identification documents, I doubt anyone will notice it’s fake – we had our best men fabricate these for you. Once you guys make it to Tamra, apply for your official identification papers there using this, there shouldn’t be much trouble.’

Soondeok: ‘Thank you…ah, and we have this for you.’

(Soondeok gives him two books, Hyungsik flips one over and seems shocked)

Hyungsik: ‘My Lady! Don’t tell me you…’

Soondeok: ‘I spent the entire night drawing this, I hope it’ll be of help. It’s not anything advance, but it should help train your men properly and get them well prepared.’

Hyungsik: ‘You didn’t have to, My Lady.’

Soondeok: ‘And pardon my drawings, you may not understand some of them.’

Hyungsik: ‘Absolutely not! I could read the martial arts steps very clearly here, thank you. Thank you for this wonderful textbook.’

Eun: ‘And I drew this, chief.’

(Eun taps on the second book in Hyungsik’s hand, he opens it and finds a map)

Eun: ‘It’s a map of the palace in my memory, not sure if this will be of any help to you, but I drew it just in case.’

Hyungsik: ‘Look how detailed this is! Your Highness, you really didn’t have to-’

Eun: ‘I always hated the palace, it’s really the first time anyone has ever thanked me for having lived in it…and the first time I found it useful…so keep it, and make good use of my gift, chief.’

Hyungsik: ‘Don’t worry, I’ll put it to good use.’

Eun: ‘And…if you ever plan to start a rebellion-’

Hyungsik: ‘Don’t worry, we won’t.’

Eun: ‘If…if you ever do change your mind, use this map, I’ve even highlighted the secret passages I know of…and…do me a favor.’

Hyungsik: ‘Anything, sir.’

Eun: ‘Protect her for me…Court lady Haesoo…protect her for me if anything happens.’

(Hyungsik glances at Soondeok, to which she nods her head)

Soondeok: ‘She’s helped us tremendously to escape, chief, please look out for her, if things ever happen in the palace.’

Hyungsik: ‘I’ll do as you command, Your Highness.’

Eun: ‘I suppose that’ll be the last order…request, I give to anyone as a prince. Now, we should get going.’

Hyungsik: ‘Yes, the ship will depart soon, you should get going.’

(Eun and Soondeok step out of the carriage and walk away after waving farewell at Hyungsik and his men who drove away soon after dropping them off. Silence. They’re left alone once again.)

‘Deok ah, let’s go.’

‘I’ll carry that, Oppa.’

‘Nonsense! You have your own bag to carry already, I can carry this.’

‘But your arm-’

‘It’s fine, honey, I’ll just strap them around my shoulder like this, see? I’ve still got a hand to spare to hold yours.’

(Eun interlocks his fingers with Soondeok’s)

‘Let’s go, Deok ah, we’re running late.’

‘Isn’t that my line?’

‘I can say it too, can’t I?’

(Eun kisses her hand as they slowly make their way to the port where a ship, a whole new life, a brand new adventure awaits them)

------------------------------------------

‘URGH!’

‘There there…please tell me it’ll be the last time you get sick. My hand’s hurting from patting your back all the time-’

‘LAND! OH GLORIOUS LAND! LET ME KISS THE GROUND!’

‘Oppa, stop being so dramatic! Everyone on the dock is looking at us!’

(Soondeok stopped Eun from kissing the floor just in time and helps Eun up on his feet)

‘I don’t get it, this is the worse seasick I’ve ever had Deok ah! Remember the time we took the ship to find Yixing? I didn’t get as sick as this time!’

‘Maybe because you’re nervous? Anyway, Oppa, are you well enough to walk? We’re so close to entering Tamra! All we have to do is go over there, have the soldier check our papers and we’re done.’

‘Deok ah…just a second…let me steady myself first…it feels like the entire world is spinning…’

(Then there comes a yell from the other side of the dock)

‘BOAT FROM GORYEO’S CAPITAL ARRIVING! REPEAT, BOAT FROM GORYEO’S CAPITAL IS ARRIVING! MAKE WAY!’

(Soondeok urgently tries to make Eun move)

‘Oppa, we have to get going now!’

‘What’s going on? Why’s everyone rushing to that boat?’

‘Oh Oppa, because they’re taking that boat back to the capital, but that’s not the point! What if someone sees us? What if someone recognizes us from that boat?’

‘Right, I’ll try to walk faster…’

(At last they arrive at the post where the soldiers check the documents)

Soldier: ‘Next. Identification papers please.’

Soondeok: ‘Here officer.’

Soldier: ‘What are you two doing here in Tamra?’

(Soondeok lowers her voice to make herself sound like a man)

Soondeok: ‘My master is here for business, he’s a merchant. I’m his bodyguard.’

(The soldier looks at both of them)

Soldier: ‘Your master, what’s wrong with him?’

Soondeok: ‘Seasick, sir.’

(The soldier frowns and eyes him suspiciously)

Soldier: ‘Seasick? Don’t merchants travel around quite often?’

Eun: ‘My post doesn’t require me to travel…I’m in charge of the shop, you see.’

Soldier: ‘Ah, is that so?’

(Just then another soldier comes to their rescue)

Soldier 2: ‘Hey! You done? We’re all waiting for you! Lunch time! Hurry up and finish this! Our shift’s long over man!’

Soldier: ‘Alright alright.’

(Soldier stamps the couple’s papers, gives it back to them and leaves his seat, heading off with the rest of his mates)

Eun: ‘Phew, that was close.’

(Eun whispered under his breath as they walk towards the city’s busiest market)

Soondeok: ‘First things first, we need to get our official papers here.’

Eun: ‘But where will that be?’

Soondeok: ‘I’ll ask around, but I suppose we ought to find a place for us to rest our heads tonight, this matter won’t be solved in a day’s time.’

(Suddenly Soondeok can hear her husband’s stomach growling to which Eun grinned shyly)

Soondeok: ‘And we should grab something to eat…right, let’s head that way.’

---------------------------------------------

‘10 gold coins per person for a citizenship?! What madness is this?’

(Soondeok throws her hands into the air in frustration as they return to their room at the inn)

‘Honey, calm down-’

‘Oppa! That’s 20 gold coins for both of us! We’re close to using up half of our savings!’

‘Still, we need to stay here in Tamra, Deok ah…it’s not like we have another option.’

‘And to stay at this inn tonight…gosh…I didn’t expect things to be so expensive here…Had I known I would’ve ordered a smaller room. And you, Oppa, why on earth did you order a bath? You realize how costly a bath in here can be?’

‘I thought we needed one, after that exhausting trip on the sea. I threw up all the time, remember? If we hadn’t had a bath before going out to apply for our citizenship papers, the officers wouldn’t have gone so easy on us back then.’

(Yet Soondeok’s mind is still in a mess, it was only calmed down by her husband’s back-hug which came out of nowhere)

‘I’ll work, Deok ah, we can both work if we have to, I’m sure we’ll manage once we’ve settled down. We’ll make things work out, really.’

(Soondeok lets out a long sigh. This is what they’ll have to face from now on, they no longer have as much as they need to live comfortably, they’ll have to work hard to pull through from now on. Eun holds her hand in reassurance)

‘I promise, honey, I’ll make sure we won’t starve to death.’

‘Oppa…I’m sorry…if I had prepared better-’

‘Darling, don’t blame yourself, it’s not that bad, we still got some money left.’

‘We can’t stay here tomorrow, staying in the city is too expensive for us, we have to go elsewhere, somewhere…rural.’

‘Whatever you say, my dear wife, wherever you choose to go, I’m with you.’

(Soondeok turns around to look at her husband)

‘Luckily we had a full lunch today so we can skip dinner…imagine if we have to have dinner here as well.’

‘We…we skipping?’

‘Hmm? Oppa, are you hungry?’

‘N…no, I’m not hungry, not at all.’

(Of course he was lying, Eun’s used to having 3 square meals a day and skipping dinner is as bad as telling him to run 10 times around his house, but now is not the time for him to fill his stomach.)

‘Really Oppa, I mean, if you’re hungry, we can grab something to eat-’

‘No, I’m fine, really. I’m a man, skipping a meal means nothing to me! Besides~’

(Eun makes a surprise attack to Soondeok and carries her to the bed with one arm)

‘I’ve got a full course meal here~’

‘Oppa~ Stop it, you crazy? What are you planning to do?’

‘What do you think?’

(Soondeok pushes him away and stands up)

‘Keep your hands off me, mister, I can’t mess around with you tonight.’

‘Huh? Why not? Are you…having your period?’

‘Heck no! It’s just that I’ll have to plan our journey for tomorrow, I should ask around and see which town we ought to go to.’

‘Who will you ask?’

‘Oh I don’t know, the innkeeper I suppose? Or just someone working here.’

‘It’s dinner time now, Deok ah, they’re all super busy at the moment, I think you should wait till morning. So for the rest of the night why don’t we-’

(Eun pulls his wife back onto him, resting his hand behind her neck, touching her earlobe gently)

‘OPPA! You little-’

‘Think of this as our honeymoon, darling! I mean we did pay for this room for the night…and it’s a really comfortable bed. Let’s enjoy everything here, hm? My darling?’

(Eun touches her face as he speaks, stares into her eyes that’s asking for attention – at last Soondeok gives in)

‘Oh alright, just a minute my dear.’

(Soondeok gets up)

‘Where are you going?’

‘Well it’s not like you expect me to let you ride me through the night while our room remains free for anyone to come in, right?’

(She locks the door cautiously before heading to the drawer where their belongings are placed, going through her stuff)

‘Honey, what are you searching for?’

‘Did I not pack anything nice to wear with me? Oh man…I thought I did.’

‘What are you looking for?’

‘A dress…any kind of dress…but seems like I only packed man’s clothes.’

‘Forget about the clothes, wife, it’ll be pulled off in no time anyway.’

‘Still…I look like a man now, it’s weird.’

(Eun walks over to his wife to help her out, he removes her headband and unties her hair, letting them fall gracefully onto her shoulders)

‘There, beautiful~ See? Problem solved!’

(Eun kisses her on the forehead before giggling like a boy)

‘What’s so funny, Oppa?’

‘Just a thought.’

‘What thought?’

‘I sure hope this room is sound-proof.’

‘Yah!’

(Eun bites his lips while trying to hold in his laughter. He could already imagine the night. Seeing how cheerful her husband is made Soondeok forget all her worries, yes, they might be poor now, but who cares? They’re free. Free to live together, free to call each other by their names, free to hold each other, free to love each other – to them, this is a dream come true.)

‘You don’t have to worry about the sound, my dear husband.’

(Soondeok sits on the bed while crossing her legs, gazing at her husband as she calls him in a y way)

‘And why’s that, my wife?’

‘Because it’s dinner time, everyone’s making a heck of a noise downstairs, no one’s going to notice our…um…duet~ Now are you going to start or not?’

(Eun rolls his eyes)

‘Oh so you’re taking initiative now, huh?’

‘Yes.’

‘I was the one to suggested this.’

‘So?’

(Soondeok asks while undressing herself without a bit of embarrassment, if this was her 2 years ago, she would’ve blushed even if she’s taking her clothes off in the dark if her husband is in the same room as her. But not now.)

‘Darling, I can take them off for you.’

‘No thanks, it’s more efficient this way. You always take forever to untie my undergarments it’s time-wasting…’

‘I do not take forever! I just…enjoy my time doing it.’

(But before Eun could finish his sentence and justify himself, his wife’s already bare before him.)

‘Oh hurry up and undress yourself already, Oppa, it’s not fair that I’m the only one now.’

(Eun keeps his eyes on his wife as he tries to undress, but anyone would know trying to undress yourself with only one hand is no easy matter)

‘Oh my poor baby, I forgot your arm’s hurt, here let me help you~’

(Soondeok moves closer to help her husband out, Eun fixes his eyes on her face – she looks exceptionally glowing tonight)

‘OUCH!’

‘Oh sorry, did it hurt?’

(Eun groaned in pain as Soondeok tries to pull the sleeve off his right arm)

‘Be gentle, Deok ah…’

(Eun pouts)

‘Okay okay, I’m sorry~ Let me blow on it. There, all better?’

(Eun nods)

‘Look at your arm…oh dear, Oppa, you sure you can…you know…do it tonight?’

(Eun stares down at his wounded arm then raises his left arm)

‘This arm is perfectly fine.’

‘Yeah, but you can’t put weight on your right arm, Oppa…’

‘I’ll just have to improvise then~’

(Soondeok chuckles at the thought)

‘You and your nonsense, Oppa, you think I’m going to let you experiment on me?’

(At this, Soondeok pushes him down, his head made a puff sound as soon as it hits the pillow, her hair swaying from side to side, brushing his face with the slightest touch)

‘I’ll work tonight, Oppa, it’s been a while~’

(Eun runs his finger over her collarbone as he smiles proudly)

‘Deok ah.’

‘Yes?’

‘I suppose we’ll have to find a place to settle down, right?’

‘That’s right.’

‘A house, I presume.’

‘If possible.’

‘I have a suggestion.’

‘Sure, let’s hear it out, Oppa.’

‘Deok ah, I think we definitely need to find a house that’s in the middle of nowhere.’

(Soondeok raises her eyebrow in question)

‘Why Oppa?’

(Eun motions for her to lean closer and he whispers into her ears)

‘That way we won’t disturb our neighbors every night.’

(Soondeok bounce back up in disagreement)

‘Every night?! Now hold on sir-’

(Eun pulls off his I’m-serious-I’m-not-joking tone)

‘What? I’m being considerate.’

‘I’m sure you are, and I’m being considerate to you so here’s a piece of advice – save your energy for the daytime from now on, okay?

(Eun’s eyes sparkled)

‘Oh, so are we going to make it a daytime thing then? I love morning love-making-’

(Soondeok almost slapped on his wounded arm)

‘No Oppa! Like as in save your energy for work! Energy for carrying loads or chopping down trees! Money is hard earned you know.’

(Eun throws his head back in laughter)

‘Oh my dear wife! Is money all you care about now? Alright, but let’s worry about money tomorrow. Tonight we’re going to make the best out of this room since we paid a lot for it – we’re going to enjoy every corner of this place.’

(Jokingly, Soondeok fists his chest)

‘Yeah sure.’

‘I mean it, Deok ah.’

‘Don’t be silly Oppa! It’s a big room!’

‘And it’s a long night!’

--------------------------------------

‘Oppa…I can’t…I can’t move anymore…we need…to rest a bit…’

(Soondeok pants as she calls for Eun to stop for a moment, spotting the nearest fallen log, she wobbles over to sit on it while Eun fetches her the half-full wineskin)

‘Here honey, have some water.’

(Eun hands it over to her then wipes her sweat of with his hand)

‘My my my…Deok ah, you alright? You’re sweating a lot.’

‘Just tired from the hike, that’s all…and it’s pretty humid today.’

‘You don’t usually tire out before I do, we just rested like 10 minutes ago.’

‘Oppa, you sit down as well, here, sit next to me.’

(Soondeok pats on the log and Eun sits next to her, both gazing out into the forest and let themselves sink into the perfect symphony of nature. Both of them close their eyes to enjoy the moment. It’s hot, hiking in the forest, though the trees have stopped much of the sunlight from reaching the forest floor, the heat is still hard to ignore. Occasional summer breezes, however, do bring them some form of relief. It’s almost sunset and there’s still not a town in sight. It’s been a tiring day for them, they’ve been walking non-stop after receiving their citizenship papers earlier that morning.)

‘Deok ah, we’re now quite far off from the city, right?’

‘That’s right, we’ve been walking for hours today…but don’t worry, we’ll find a place to stay for the night. Just walk a bit further and we should arrive in a small town soon.’

(Soondeok answers without opening her eyes)

‘We should start looking for a house then, right?’

‘That’s right. Tomorrow, hopefully.’

‘Can we have a house that’s two-storey high?’

‘If we can find one…’

‘One with a nice garden.’

‘If we can find one.’

‘And with a well near the house so we won’t have to go to the creek to fetch water all the time. A house that’s in the middle of nowhere.’

(Soondeok laughs)

‘Ya Oppa, where are we going to find a perfect house like that?’

‘Over there.’

(Soondeok opens her eyes and looks at the direction where Eun’s pointing at. Sure enough, somewhere not far from where they’re at, in the middle of the forest, was a clearing ground. The clearing ground is square, the trees around the border gave an impression of being a fence, and a log cabin is situated right in the middle of it. Surrounding the cabin is a vast garden and a barn that ought to be functional at the side of the house. There’s a wooden porch in front of the cabin where a bench would easily be put right there for use.)

‘You’re right, Oppa, there really is a perfect house like that…look at the flowers in the garden…’

(Without the trees to give it its shade, the entire clearing ground lit up in the couple’s eyes, and the sunlight that hit that forest floor boasts of its long green grass.)

‘Deok ah, let’s go over and see if we can live there!’

‘Oppa, I’m sure someone’s living here already.’

‘I have my doubts.’

‘Why? I mean, who would give up such a big and magnificent house? It must’ve taken them years to build this! Just look at the size of it! 3 years to build this house to say the least!’

‘But the grass! No one’s trimmed them for a while now. I doubt anyone’s looked after this place for a couple of years! And see how the vegetable garden’s so…wild.’

‘But- Wait! Oppa! Don’t just go there! Oppa!’

(Soondeok chases after her husband in fear that they’re causing trouble while trespassing. Eun stops at one of the windows that’s next to the door, he opens the wooden shutters that was originally kept close by a hook, and looks inside)

‘Ya Deok ah! Look! Come here! It’s empty! Honey the house is empty! We can live here!’

‘Oppa, just because it’s empty doesn’t mean we can live here…what if-’

‘Oh! I know I know! We can ask them!’

(Eun points at another house not too far from where they’re standing, around the distance of 200 meters – one can spot the house from behind the trees if only one look carefully enough. Unlike this empty house they’re standing in front of now, that house is occupied, confirmed by the smoke coming out from its chimney.)

‘Deok ah, you’re tired right? You stay here, I’ll go over there and ask them about this place’s owner.’

‘And let you get chased out with a broom? No thanks, I’ll go with you.’

‘They won’t chase me out, I’ll give them my best manner.’

‘Oppa, if you want this house then follow me, I’ll do the talking, okay?’

‘Really? So you approve? We’re going to live here?!’

‘If the owner says yes.’

‘Oh I hope he will! We’ll be allowed to live here right? Right Deok ah?’

(Eun asks as he walks excitingly next to his wife, heading towards the other house)

-----------------------------------------------------

(With courage, Soondeok knocks on the door and both wait in silence. From up close, this house resembles the empty log cabin they’ve been earlier even more, only this one is smaller and that it only has one floor. They could hear footsteps rushing towards them from inside and as the door flies open, they hold their breath)

‘CAN’T YOU OPEN THE DOOR YOURSELF? Dinner’s ready, what took you so long- Oh! Oh dear…I’m sorry I thought you’re my husband. I…’

(The old lady takes a step back from her unexpected visitors, a proof that she doesn’t get many often. Her strands of grey hair tell Soondeok that this lady’s over 50 of age at least, and that the only peron she lives with or would expect to see at the front of her house is her husband, who presumably, is as old as she is.)

Old lady: ‘How…how may I help you two?’

(The old lady wipes her hands nervously on her quite stained apron)

Soondeok: ‘I’m terribly sorry for disturbing you, ma’am…eh…this is my husband, we um…we’re wondering if you know anything about the house over there.’

(The old lady tilts her head and looks towards the empty house on the right)

Old lady: ‘You can’t possibly be referring to THAT house!’

Soondeok: ‘Yes…it seems like it’s empty and, well, my husband and I am looking for a place to stay, we’re wondering if you know how we can contact the owner so we can…perhaps…rent it or if possible, buy it-’

Old lady: ‘Oh but of course you may have it! We’d be neighbors! Omo! You’re back just in time! Hey darling! We’ve got neighbors at last!’

(The old lady shouts as soon as she sees her husband returning with a donkey pulling a cart)

Old man: ‘Wife, what on earth are you screaming about?’

(The old man walks steadily over to her after releasing the donkey into the yard, it took a few moments before he spots their guests)

Old man: ‘Who are they? Lost in this forest, I presume.’

Old lady: ‘Aigoo, no! Didn’t I tell you who they are just then? They want to live in Songhae’s house darling, isn’t it wonderful?’

(The old man raises his eyebrows)

Old man: ‘Oh why of course they can! But…who’d want to live out here? So far away from town, and they’re a young couple at that!’

Soondeok: ‘We don’t mind, sir. But shouldn’t we get this…um…Songhae-ssi’s approval first?’

Old lady: ‘No use, we ourselves haven’t seen him in 3 years! I doubt we’ll see him anytime soon.’

Eun: ‘See honey! I told you nobody owns that place!’

Old lady: ‘Well that is true I suppose, ever since Songhae moved away with his family, both of us have nothing to do here in the forest…oh how unbearably lonely our lives were…so we’d love to have you live next to us! Oh my word, how rude of me, please come in! You guys can stay here tonight, we’ll go over to Songhae’s place tomorrow to have it clean up before getting you two settled there!’

(The old couple leads Eun and Soondeok into their little house and sits them down around the round dining table with the old man while the old lady starts bringing the food out)

Soondeok: ‘Is there really no way of contacting the owner, sir? I kind of feel uneasy living in his house without his consent.’

Old man: ‘I doubt meeting him will make a difference young lady, besides he’d let you live there if we tell him to.’

Eun: ‘You must be really close to this Songhae person, sir. He too must’ve respected you a lot.’

(The old couple chuckles)

Old man: ‘Why of course young man! He’s my son! I’d spank him if he disagrees with me!’

Eun: ‘Son? Oh- Oh I see…’

Old lady: ‘He probably left for the city because of you honey, you always get into an argument with him.’

(The old lady shouts from the kitchen)

Old man: ‘Look it’s not my fault he wanted to work in Goryeo – and who am I to blame…he does have talent in carpentry. My son built these two houses you see, he’s got this ambition since he was young, to become the best carpenter in all of Tamra. He even took part in building the new palace here many years ago! And after he’s done that, he moved to Goryeo to become a royal carpenter there…I mean I wouldn’t mind him following his dream…if he hadn’t left with his entire family. I miss my grandchildren…this forest used to ring with their laughter. All 5 of them…’

Old lady: ‘Enough about the grand-kids, darling, you’re gonna cry again. Here you go, a bowl for you, and a bowl for you…I’m afraid we don’t have too much to offer…just…some carrot tofu soup tonight. Sorry about that.’

Soondeok: ‘Oh don’t be, ma’am…we’re delighted to be your guests, and sorry too for coming here all of a sudden. Dear me! I’m so sorry! What bad manners we have! We forgot to introduce ourselves! We…uh…we’ve been married for 3 years. I’m…Ran…Hyeran and this is my husband, he’s-’

Eun: ‘Hyun, Baekhyun, oh but please just call me Hyun.’

Soondeok: ‘And you can call me Ran.’

(They both give the old couple a deep bow)

Old man: ‘And I’m Mr. Gu, call me Old Gu will do, everyone in town calls me that. And this is my wife, just call her Mrs. Gu. We’ve been married for…for…how many years darling?’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Some 40 years, right? We married when I was 15, you were 18, weren’t you?’

(The old lady finally sits down with the rest of them)

Old Gu: ‘Has it been 40 years already? I can’t remember…’

Soondeok: ‘How lovely, to be able to be together for such a long time.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Well we’re no perfect and happy couple, I’ll tell you that, we fought all the time when we were young, when we still have the energy that is. But he was a handsome champ and we fell in love at first sight~’

Old Gu: ‘We met in the market one day and she’s been flirting with me ever since. At last I too fell in love with her and our parents let us get marry so…here we are. She’s a sweet little girl back then, very kind too, she did a wonderful job raising the kids, I give her credit for that.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘What good does it do? They’ve all fled the nest…’

Eun: ‘Are they all still in Tamra?’

Old Gu: ‘No…Tamra is a small island, there’s little they can do here…my children all prefer the exciting land of Goryeo and beyond…one went to the middle land to paint while one got married off to a merchant in Japan. By the way, it seems that you two aren’t from this part of Tamra, right? Where are you guys from?’

Soondeok: ‘Well, it’s a long story, but-’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Oh darling, enough with trying to know everything about someone’s life the first time you meet them! How rude! Ran ah, to be honest, it doesn’t matter to us where you guys come from, even if you tell us, we’d probably forget all about it in a month’s time with this poor memory of ours. What I want to say is, you guys can be comfortable here, we won’t force you to do or tell us anything.’

Old Gu: ‘You force me to do a lot of things though, wife.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘I do not!’

Old Gu: ‘Oh yeah? You make me feed the chicken, water the garden, go into town…you want a list? I’ll give you a list-’

(The old lady kisses her husband to make him stop talking)

Mrs. Gu: ‘Stop acting like a kid in front of our guests, husband, you’re going to scare them!’

(And so the old couple precedes to telling Eun and Soondeok their own stories, they didn’t care where Eun and Soondeok came from, they didn’t mind nor did they want to know, they’re just glad that finally there’s someone living nearby to end their dull and lonely days. To this, Eun and Soondeok felt relieved, it’s like they’ve finally found a place to call home.)

---------------------------------------

Eun: ‘Wow, what a lovely place!’

(The moment they step into the house the very next day, they’re greeted by a big empty space in the middle of their soon-to-be home. Eun gazes up at the high ceiling of the log cabin then at the second floor which only covers half the house so you can literally gaze down to the 1st floor from up there. Looking straight into the house, they can see 3 rooms lined up side by side, from the right corner to the left corner. The second floor is built right on top of the 3 large rooms, beautifully carved wooden rails line up neatly across the indoor balcony, to make the second floor safe enough for children to go to.)

Mrs. Gu: ‘Let me just open all the windows and let the breeze come in, the feeling will change right away. It’s feeling a bit stuffy right now. It’ll light up the place too.’

(Mrs. Gu starts off by opening the 2 big windows on either side of the front door, then she goes to the kitchen, which is well separated from the main house by a stone wall, and opens the windows there, one looking into the front while the other looking to the back of the house. The 3 rooms on the floor situated at the back of the house each has its own window overlooking out into the vegetable garden, also allowing sufficient light into the room during the day so one can comfortably work there without the need for a candle at all.)

Old Gu: ‘As you can see, our son left pretty much most of the furniture here – a round dining table here, a couple of chairs – I wouldn’t expect you two to have much visitors…and there’s a bed upstairs as well as a bed in the bedroom downstairs. The kids used to sleep upstairs altogether in a huge bed…they’d have pillow fight there…’

(The old man’s voice trails off as he slowly walks up the rustic stairs, which starts on the left side of the house, opposite to the kitchen, taking him up to the second floor. Its rails too have been carved skillfully with all kinds of flowery patterns, its installation steady and the wooden boards of the staircase have been fitted together so well that no squeaking sound would be made as you walk up the stairs.)

Soondeok: ‘My, this place is wonderful~ Oh look! Husband! There are 3 rooms down here alone! Let’s make one our bedroom and we can each have our own room to work in!’

Eun: ‘But I want to sleep up here! Look at the view from up here, darling!’

(Eun calls from the second floor as he gazes out the wide window that opens at the back of the house, giving him a grand view of their backyard and beyond, a scene too magnificent to describe with words. Soondeok joins him upstairs and exclaims in admiration.)

Soondeok: ‘Oh my word, this view is just spectacular! The mountains…wow…’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Oh you guys can set up bedrooms on both floors if you want, my son left their beds here anyway. It’s honestly better to sleep up here in the summer because it could get quite hot downstairs but during the harsh winter days, you guys would probably prefer to sleep downstairs, close to the warm kitchen.’

Eun: ‘There then! Problem solved!’

Old Gu: ‘You guys like the second floor I see.’

Eun: ‘Yes, it’s amazing! I can’t believe such work is possible! I mean, who would’ve thought that a house as such would be able to have an indoor balcony? The idea of having a two-storey log cabin itself is incredible enough! Your son’s work is just unbelievable!’

(The old man laughs)

Old Gu: ‘You praise my son too much, the truth is, my son failed a couple of times when he was building this, he had to redo the layout a couple of times before he finally got it right. He was a stubborn lad, insisting on making this kind of house…that’s why he has pretty much used up all the trees here for his work.’

Eun: ‘Oh, so that’s why there’s this clearing ground in the middle of the forest.’

Old Gu: ‘The animals hated him, no doubt, for chopping away their homes.’

(The old man jokes)

Mrs. Gu: ‘Honey, why don’t you show them downstairs?’

Old Gu: ‘Oh sure, down stairs is also nice. Ah, and the garden!’

(All 4 of them go back down to the first floor)

Old Gu: ‘So once we come down the stairs, we can see the shoe rack area, it’s next to the front door, you’ll see why this spot is needed when winter comes. It’s for the muddy boots, heavy coats and such. See the nails here, they’re for the coats. Ah and on the right side of the house is the kitchen, very similar to the one in our place…they really did leave pretty much everything behind, right wife? Even most of the cooking pots and pans are still here, just a bit of washing and I’d say it’s good to go.’

Soondeok: ‘The chimney looks so nice, I love the stones.’

(Soondeok says as her hands go over the smooth marble-like stones that’s used to make this magnificent chimney)

Mrs. Gu: ‘The chimney’s not blocked I hope, you should give it a try later. There’re chopped wood in the barn, we’ll take you there later. Once you heat this stove up, the entire house will heat up too, it’s a good thing in winter, not so nice in the summer like now.’

Eun: ‘Amazing how he’s good with carving of the stone too, Mrs. Gu, the walls in the kitchen is top notch.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Since the entire house is made of wood, my son feared that there’d be a fire so he used a stone wall to separate the kitchen from the rest of the place. To be honest, we Tamra people have been living in stone houses for ages, it’s just that my son somehow preferred wooden houses…more civilized, he used to say. Anyway, there’s a door here in the kitchen so you can go to the barn from here. Now let’s go back to the living room.’

(They slowly walk back out)

Old Gu: ‘And here we have 3 rooms downstairs. This room on the right, the closes to the kitchen, used to be my son and his wife’s bedroom, warmest room on the entire floor in winter. Ah, so you can see the bed here too. The window’s rather small in this room, to keep the cold out in winter. There’s a closet here…a fine piece of work. Then we have another room next to this one and another one room at that corner, oh, here’s something interesting about that room in the corner, it has a door that leads to the backyard too.’

(They make their way to the room on the left corner at the back of the house and sure enough there’s a door inside the room which opens to the garden outside.)

Eun: ‘Honey! I’m taking this room! I’ll have this room! That way I’ll be able to go to the garden whenever I want to without having to walk all the way around the house via the front door!’

(Soondeok smiles)

Soondeok: ‘Sure, if that’s what you want. I’m rather curious on what you’d like to do in this room though, it’s not like you have a hobby.’

Eun: ‘You’ll see~ Old Gu, can we go to the garden now? I’m dying to see what’s there!’

Old Gu: ‘Sure thing, let’s go out then. Watch your steps. Here is the garden, my daughter-in-law planted this vegetable garden herself, I’ve always been so proud of her. It’s not as messy as the front garden because my wife would come here every now and then to pick some vegetables. Sure there are some weeds here and there now, but with a bit of work, I’m sure this place will look better in no time. Look! The berries are ripe! Oh how our grandchildren used to love coming here and eat the berries as they pick them fresh off the branches.’

Soondeok: ‘What a lovely place, to be able to grow the food you eat…I’ve always wanted to try it.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘I’m glad you like it dear. Most young people prefer buying stuff from town these days. If you have any questions about planting and such, do ask me, I’d be more than happy to help.’

Eun: ‘Why do we have fences here? Is it to keep out the animals?’

(Old Gu laughs at Eun’s question)

Old Gu: ‘You won’t have to worry about animals here, you’ll get a deer or some harmless wild dogs out here at most. No, those fences are not for keeping wild animals out, they’re for keeping the kids in! Imagine if all the kids run around the forest! It’d take forever to bring them back!’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Oh don’t remind me, those kids were wild indeed.'

(Old Gu leads them to the barn that’s just outside the kitchen)

Old Gu: ‘Here’s the barn, if you ever want to have animals, you can just open the windows here like so. And the door is here…but right now, it’s just for storing wood for fire.’

Soondeok: ‘Well, we probably won’t have any animals now, but who knows? Maybe we’ll get ourselves some chicken in the future.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘We’ve got chicken, LOTS of them! Didn’t you see our chicken farm last night? Surely you must’ve heard them too. You poor thing, probably too tired that you fell asleep right away last night, no? Well, we do in fact run a chicken farm, so if you want some fresh eggs, do come over to our place every morning. We got eggs to spare even after selling them in town, yes, we run a small egg business, and a couple times a season, we’ll sell chicken too.’

Eun: ‘So that’s what you guys do for a living, right? How exciting!’

Old Gu: ‘We actually don’t need money that much, we grow the food we need and only buy the food we can’t grow ourselves, like rice and meat…for you know, special occations. I go into town almost every other day to sell the eggs, that’s enough for both of us. I just went there yesterday so today’s a break for me.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Well, seems like you two can move in here today! You guys just need to go into town and buy some bedding and such. I would offer you our bedding if we could, but ours is old and have been mended way too many times…besides, young couples should have new bedding, am I right honey?’

Old Gu: ‘Right indeed. Oh and curtains, you guys may need curtains too.’

Soondeok: ‘Yes! Nice curtains will be just the thing for all these wonderful windows! Oppa, you have anything else you want to buy?’

Eun: ‘New clothes maybe?’

Soondeok: ‘Okay, new clothes too.’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Surely you didn’t literally mean buying already-made clothes from the market, do you? Oh don’t be silly, that’d waste a fortune! Listen to me sweetie, you guys pick the cloth you like in the market and I’ll make the clothes for you! For free!’

Soonddeok: ‘Oh but that’d really be a trouble-’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Not at all! I have nothing to do all day here anyway! My! I’m going to make you a nice collection of clothes for that nice closet of yours! I made clothes for all my kids back then you know~’

Old Gu: ‘I give her credit for that. When it comes to sewing and such, she’s the best.’

Soondeok: ‘Then could you teach me too, so I can learn as well?’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Why of course! Nothing better than having company while sewing! But you’d need to ask your husband first, not sure he’s happy with the idea of me stealing you away from him, right Hyun ah?’

(Mrs. Gu giggles as she hooks her arm around Soondeok’s)

Eun: ‘I don’t mind, I’d rather enjoy some time with Old Gu myself, going to town and selling eggs with him. I can help out too, Old Gu, please let me come with you~’

Old Gu: ‘Certainly! Always nice to have someone to talk to on the way there. You can also help me gather eggs in the morning. I never liked the idea of putting animals in cages so I let the chicken run free inside the farm. The thing is, they lay eggs almost everywhere and collecting the eggs is a headache itself.’

Eun: ‘I love treasure hunting since I was young! I’d love to help you with that too, Old Gu!’

(Old Gu thinks for a moment then answers)

Old Gu: ‘No, I won’t allow it.’

Eun: ‘But you just said-’

Old Gu: ‘On second thought, I won’t allow you to help me out, Hyun ah.’

Eun: ‘But…why?’

(The old man gives a mischievous grin)

Old Gu: ‘Because I want you to work with me! I want to pay you for it, young lad.’

Eun: ‘Really?!’

Old Gu: ‘It’s not going to be a big amount, but it should bring a smile on your face.’

Eun: ‘THANK YOU! Honey! Look! I just got hired!’

Soondeok: ‘You don’t say…you have to work hard then, husband.’

Old Gu: ‘So it’s settled! My, look at the time! The sun’s already high up, I’ll get the cart ready to take us to down, we’ll need 2 donkeys today I’d say.’

(Old Gu makes his way back to his house, hopping occasionally with joy)

Eun: ‘How many animals do you have, Mrs. Gu?’

(Eun asks as they take their time walking around the house)

Mrs. Gu: ‘Not many. We’ve got many chicken – 100 at least. Then of course we have 2 donkeys and 4 sheep – we keep the sheep only for the wool and milk you see, and the donkeys for the cart.’

Eun: ‘So you’ll shave the wool yourselves?! I want to try it!’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Not this year I’m afraid because we’ve done it already, next year son, next summer we’ll ask you over to help us out.’

Soondeok: ‘Do you do everything by yourself here, Mrs. Gu?’

Mrs. Gu: ‘Well, not EVERYTHING darling. After my husband collects the wool, he’ll take them to town to have someone treat it for us, then he’ll bring it back and I’ll use that to make our winter clothes.’

(Then something caught Eun's eyes)

Eun: 'Mrs. Gu, what are those? Those small wooden boxes in the garden.'

(Mrs. Gu chuckles as she explains)

Mrs. Gu: 'That would be your outhouses, you know, where all food end up in.'

Eun: 'Outhouses? Ah! Ah...I see...but why are there like...5 of them out there?'

Mrs. Gu: 'See the well over there? My son didn't hit water the first time he dug, nor the second time, nor the third time...he dug many times before finally hitting water.'

Soondeok: 'So those outhouses are on top of the holes to cover them up?'

Mrs. Gu: 'Oh sweetie, you made it sound like it's only here for decoration! No, they're functional outhouses, and with a family as big as my son's, they sure liked the idea of not having to line up to relieve themselves.'

Eun: 'What if the holes get filled up one day?'

(Eun gets disgusted at the thought)

Mrs. Gu: 'Don't worry, holes are quite deep, good to last you guys for years! I sure do hope you guys will stay that long.'

---------------------------------------------

(That evening, Eun and Soondeok had dinner with their neighbors, after which they head back to what is now their new home. They’ve spent much of the afternoon buying things in town and the rest of it scrubbing and cleaning their new log cabin. Their arms are aching but they’re happy, happy to have finally found a place to stay. The moon is high and the heat of the day has finally faded away. The couple gaze at the stars above, which they can see clearly once they walk into the clearing ground on which their house stands.)

‘Marvelous…look at the sky darling, all those sparkly stars~’

‘I never thought the night sky could be covered in stars like this, Deok ah.’

‘It’s because it’s completely dark here, Oppa, you’ll see more if I blow the lantern out, want me to?’

(Eun wraps his arms around his wife’s)

‘No…I’ll be scared.’

‘Oppa, our house is literally just there.’

‘Still…what if a bear suddenly pops up?’

‘Old Gu already said there are no bears around here.’

‘Rats then, what about rats? Or squirrels! What about them?’

‘But our lantern is attracting bugs too, see?’

(Only then did Eun look at the lantern that he’s been holding and sure enough, he could see swarms of insects dancing around the light)

‘AHHH!!!! Deok ah! YOU HOLD IT!’

(And with that, Eun runs into their house in lightning speed)

‘Ya Oppa! They won’t bite!’

(Soondeok laughs at him as she too makes her way back to the house)

-------------------------------------------------

‘Tough day, huh darling?’

‘Eventful is what I’d say…but yes, I am getting a bit tired now, Oppa.’

‘I love this bed-sheet~ And this cover, it’s so smooth~’

(Eun compliments as he snugs closer to his wife)

‘I only bought it because you begged over and over again, Oppa, you do realize how much these cost, right?’

‘It’ll last for 10 years at least, Deok ah, think of it this way.’

‘And the cloth you picked for our clothes…’

‘Those cloth will make clothes that’ll last for years too, Deok ah…quality matters. I promise I won’t want new clothes next year.’

‘And many years after that I hope.’

(Soondeok lets out a long sigh)

‘We only have so much money to last us till the end of winter…if we’re lucky.’

‘Deok ah, when I go to town with Mr. Gu, I’ll try to find a job. Mr. Gu works every other day, I can work in town on the days when he’s resting.’

‘I want to work too…but I’ve already promised Mrs. Gu I’d make clothes with her…’

‘That won’t take too long, right?’

‘With the rolls of cloth you bought today? Ha, we could make at least 10 sets of clothes for both of us!’

‘We still got autumn, don’t we?’

‘Autumn is just half a month away, Oppa…and winter will be here soon…’

‘Don’t worry honey, we’ll think of something, I could skip a meal if we have to.’

‘It’s not food I’m worried about…it’s tax.’

‘Tax? Why on earth do we need to pay tax?’

‘Oppa, we’re Tamra citizens now! Of course we’ll have to pay the tax! And it’s quite a lot…’

‘How’d you know?’

‘I asked today when we were in the market.’

(Eun holds Soondeok’s hand)

‘Don’t let that worry you, we’ll be fine Deok ah.’

‘I sure hope so. Good night, Oppa…you need to start egg hunting tomorrow morning.’

(Eun smiles at the idea)

‘A new life, a new beginning…to be honest, I’m a bit too thrilled to sleep.’

‘Who wouldn’t be? But we’ll have to now, so we can work tomorrow, you’ll soon understand how tough working can be, you may even come to hate working, but you have to bear it all even then, okay? We have to stay here, we have no other choices, we may not be comfortale here but at least we’re safe.’

(Silence)

‘I wonder how everyone’s doing now in Goryeo…’

‘Still alive, I hope…’

‘You worry about father, Soondeok ah?’

(She nods)

‘I am too…but he’s the grand general, I don’t think hyung-nim will do anything to him.’

‘He’s capable of killing us, Oppa, don’t forget.’

‘He changed…Hyung-nim really has changed…he was…more of a kind person when we were young. But…thanks to him, we’re able to live in this wonderful place out here!’

‘Thinking positive now are we? I like that, Oppa. Think positive.’

‘Want me to tell you my dream last night? Maybe that’ll help you sleep.’

‘Sure, tell me Oppa.’

‘I must’ve fallen in love with this house because I dreamt about this place last night.’

‘Already?’

‘I guess it’s because I found this place…so I feel more attached.’

‘That is true, you were the one to point it out. We wouldn’t have spot this cabin if it weren’t for you.’

‘Anyway, it’s super sunny in my dream and I’m in the front garden chopping wood with an axe, sweating like hell.’

‘Oh~ Nice~ Shirt on or off?’

‘I see no importance in that, Deok ah.’

‘You’re right…carry on.’

‘So I was chopping wood and it’s heck of a tough job, but I did it anyway. And when I finished all of it, I sat down on the grass and looked at our house. Then I saw them.’

‘Them?’

(Silence)

‘Oppa! Tell me! Who did you see?’

‘Our…our kids.’

‘Kids?’

‘Yeah, 3 of them running around in front of the house…playing games and such…and then you were there too, hanging the laundry.’

(Soondeok touches Eun’s face gently)

‘Oppa, lets make it come true. When we’re on track and don’t have to worry about money anymore, let’s adopt.’

‘I doubt there’ll be any orphanages here in Tamra, Deok ah.’

‘Still, it won’t hurt to look for one, then we’ll be parents and fill up all the rooms here.’

‘That sounds great, Mr. and Mrs. Gu will be happy too to have kids around.’

(Silence)

‘Oppa…it’s normal right?’

‘Hm? What is?’

‘I…I don’t know…I feel kinda weird lately…at first I thought it’s because of the drugs we took to fake our death…but it’s been a week now…and I still feel…not myself.’

(Eun touches Soondeok’s forehead)

‘You sick honey? You don’t have a fever…you should see a doctor in town, get things checked up.’

‘And waste our money? Na…I think I’m just tired…it’s been rather stressful lately…with the escaping and all. I should be alright.’

‘How about chest pain? You need to go to see a doctor if you have chest pain, okay?’

‘I haven’t had chest pain for ages, Oppa, you don’t have to worry about that. Boy I’m tired…’

(Soondeok yawns, which made Eun yawn as well)

‘Ya Deok ah! Stop spreading your yawn~’

‘It’s not like I want to.’

‘Funny isn’t it? How yawns can be spread like this, I always wondered why it happens.’

‘My dad used to say that if you get infected with a person’s yawn, that means you’ve met that person in your past life.’

‘Does that mean we’ve met in our past life?’

‘Who knows?’

‘I wonder what my past life’s like…’

‘Oh stop thinking and just sleep, Oppa’

‘Ah wae? Just let me imagine for a while already~’

(Just then, Soondeok feels something moving in her, like a kick, for which she’s mistaken as Eun touching her.)

‘Oppa! Watch where your hands are at!’

‘I didn’t touch you!’

‘Oh yes you did. Just then!’

(Eun throws his hands up)

‘I swear I didn’t touch you honey! My hands were here all along!’

(Soondeok gets puzzled)

‘Did I feel it wrong then? Never mind…’

‘Ya Park Soondeok…you just yelled at me for no reason…now I’m sad.’

(Eun pouts)

‘I’m sorry Oppa~ Here, let me apologize~’

(Soondeok kisses him on the lips)

‘Night, Oppa~’

(Eun kisses her back)

‘Good night my dear wife.’

‘Good night my dear prince~’

‘The prince you love is no more, I’m now just a regular man.’

‘Prince or not, you’re still my one and only love, Oppa.’

‘I love you, Hyeran ah~’

(Soondeok titters at the fact that Eun is calling her by her new name – they didn’t really spend a long time coming up with it, it’s just something they blurted out quickly when Hyungsik asked which names they want for their fake identification papers. Seeing how Eun is waiting for her to respond, Soondeok whispers with a big grin on her face.)

 

‘I love you too, Baekhyun Oppa~ Till the day the sun stops rising in the day and the moon at night.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Note from author: First of all, thank you for reading through such a LONG chapter! Once again, I have written more than I expected because I thought it must be done - to satisfy you readers to a certain extent so you won't feel like it's unfinished. Yet at the same time, I've allowed some of that 'unfinished' feeling remain as you guys think about what'll happen next to our lovely couple. Well, from the originally planned 'short fic' of mine to the 131-chapters fic that it is now, I've enjoyed every single second writing this. Thank you all for being with me in the past 2 years. Your comments have always inspired me and opened me up to new ideas! Since I don't want this book to have too many chapters, I've decided to end it here, but that does not mean it's the end of Eundeok's story! They're going to be parents, and that'll be in their 'Parent life' book - probably won't be in diary entry format, but who knows? Maybe I'll find a way to keep that element, for old time's sake. I'll come back with a whole new book on their parenting life in the future so please look forward to it. When I'll post it, I do not know, but I can say that I have already laid out some plots for it in my head. You may have to wait for a month, 2 months, or even half a year to a year, for the new story to be posted, but I hope during that time, you guys will be able to enjoy this book once again from the very beginning. I may also update new 'modern' Baekhera fics here during the gap as well, so please look forward to it~  Thank you all!]

*Special thanks to @justbaekhera for this lovely edit for my story~*