Grandpa

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

(a sharp pain wakes Soondeok up, she looks around and Eun’s not there)

‘Oppa…Oppa…’

(She grunts in pain as she calls out to Eun, no reply. Soondeok forces herself out of bed and crawls over to get her medicine – her chest pain is making it extremely difficult for her to breathe. After taking the medicine, she lies there, motionless on the floor, gasping for air.)

‘My lady! My lady!!!’

(A maid comes running in, calling for Soondeok)

‘My lady! There seems to be some trouble!’

(Maid sees Soondeok on the floor)

‘Lady Soondeok! Are you alright? Oh dear, do I need to call the doctor?’

‘No…I’m fine…what…what’s wrong?’

‘My lady, you need to get back to bed.’

‘Tell me what you have come to tell me, please. Where…where is the prince?’

‘Oh my lady, what should we do? His royal highness got dragged out of the house!’

‘What? What…what happened? Tell me!’

‘Oh dear me. You see, his royal highness’ grandpa came over just then and talked to the prince…I don’t know what happened but the next thing we knew, his excellency dragged his royal highness out of the house.’

‘Is…is the prince in trouble?’

‘I’m afraid I do not know, my lady, but his excellency sure looked furious.’

‘This won’t do. I need to go find him.’

‘Oh but my lady! You can’t go out in this state! Look at you, my lady, you look so pale. This won’t do, we need to send you to the doctor immediately. No! We’ll send for the doctor.’

‘I’m fine, really! The prince needs me now. Did anyone follow them?’

‘Yes, my lady…’

‘Good. I’ll go get dressed now, let me know when that person returns and let me know where they are, alright?’

‘Yes, my lady.’

--------------------------------------

(Turns out, Eun’s grandpa brought him to the doctor – Soondeok follows and tries to look for them outside the clinic)

‘Where are they? Oh, Oppa, I hope he’s not getting scolded…but why here?’

‘Ahgassi?’

(Soondeok turns around and sees a nurse who’s been working there standing behind her)

‘Oh! Hi!’

‘How are you, Ahgassi? Haven’t seen you here for a while. Umm…what are you doing here?’

‘Me? Oh…I…Per chance…do you know anyway into the clinic other than through the front door?’

‘Ahgassi needs to sneak in?’

‘Well…yeah…sort of.’

‘Please follow me in, I know a way.’

(Eventually, Soondeok finds out where Eun and his grandpa is – they’re both in a room, Soondeok tries to listen to their conversation)

‘Aish! Grandpa! I told you I’m fine! Really! Didn’t the doctor say so just then as well? I’m fine! Healthy and strong as ever!’

‘You sure you’re not hiding anything from your grandpa, huh?’

‘Grandpa~ Why would I?’

‘Then tell me, why is it that you still don’t have a child yet?’

‘Grandpa!’

‘Well if you’re healthy, it shouldn’t be a problem!’

‘Is…is this what it’s all about? You dragged me all the way here is just to check…gosh, grandpa…’

‘Eun ah, you can tell me honestly…are you…having trouble with your wife? You know…as in-’

‘Grandpa! What kind of question is that?’

‘I just want to make sure you know what you’re doing, Eun ah!’

‘Grandpa…we’ll have kids when we see fit.’

‘2 years! 2 years have passed and you expect me to keep waiting? I wanted to drag you here last year already, it’s just that…I thought maybe if I give you two some more time…but now, 2 years, 2 years! Does it even make sense?’

‘Grandpa…you think having kids is as easy as making a pancake? It takes time!’

‘And time you’ve had!’

‘Grandpa! I’m still young! I’m not ready to be a father yet!’

‘Young? YOUNG?! You think this is an excuse I’ll take? When I was your age, I had 2 kids running around the house already!’

‘Grandpa…your generation’s different…’

‘There’s got to be a problem. If it’s not your problem…maybe it’s…your wife?’

(Eun quickly denies)

‘No! I mean…it’s not her problem, grandpa.’

‘Eun ah, are you hiding something from me? I tell you, even if she’s the grand general’s daughter, I’ll make you marry someone else if she fails to bring forth a child to carry on the blood line!’

‘Grandpa!’

‘I’m serious!’

‘Don’t say such a thing, grandpa! Women are not child-bearing machines! We love each other! You can’t force me to marry someone else just to make babies!’

‘So, you’re going to die childless, is that what you want to say? You expect me to let it slide?’

‘To be honest…I don’t see what’s the big deal about this, grandpa…I mean…I don’t mind it much myself. Besides, I’m not your only grandson – you’ve got lots of children and tonnes of grandchildren and great-grandchildren already, why are you always picking on me?’

‘Because you have royal blood running in your veins, Eun ah! You’re special to me, to the family!’

‘Damn this royal blood!’

‘Wangeun!’

‘I hate this, grandpa! Why do I have to do things just because of my identity? It’s not like I asked to be born into the royal family! It’s all your fault! If only mother had married someone else! I hate being a prince!’

‘One way or another, Eun ah, you are! Now, listen to me – I will say it, and I will say it once only. You will give me a great-grandchild – you will, and I will make sure it happens, one way or another.’

‘Grandpa!’

‘Now, I need to bring your wife over as well – if it’s her problem, I’ll know what to do.’

‘What will you do?’

‘I’ll file a divorce right away!’

‘You can’t do that!’

‘You think? I’ll do it this very moment!’

(Eun stops his grandpa from leaving)

‘Grandpa! Please…don’t…I’ll tell you...I’ll tell you everything…’

‘Get out of my way! I need to bring your wife over now!’

‘WE STILL HAVEN’T SLEPT TOGETHER YET!’

(Silence)

‘Eun…Eun ah…’

‘Grandpa…it’s my fault…I still haven’t…haven’t made her into my woman yet…’

‘What nonsense are you talking about? Don’t tell me…you actually meant…’

‘Yes…grandpa. She…my wife…she’s…still a …’

‘What?!’

‘So, grandpa…it’s not her fault! It’s my fault…these past 2 years…the reason we still don’t have any kids it’s because…because of that…’

(Eun’s grandpa smacks him over and over again)

‘Aigoo! You! How can you do this, huh? Are you even a man? How can you possibly do such a thing? Tell me! How can you do such a thing and not let me know? You! I ought to have you punished for this!’

‘I’m sorry grandpa…I really am. So please…please give us more time. I don’t…I won’t marry anyone else – I won’t. And don’t let Soondeok know…don’t hurt my wife.’

(Silence)

‘Is it true…what you’ve just said?’

‘Yes, grandpa…’

‘Fine. I won’t do anything now…I’ll give you one more year – ONE MORE YEAR! If I die then I die! One year later – if still nothing, then you’ll marry whomever I pick for you – deal?’

‘Grandpa! I don’t want to have so many wives!’

‘Many wives? No, Eun, you’ll only have one. You’ll have divorce with Soondeok then marry someone else.’

‘GRANDPA!’

‘Either that or I’ll go and find your wife now.’

‘Alright! Deal! Just…please don’t let my wife know, I beg of you…please.’

‘Do you love your wife that much?’

‘Yes…dearly.’

‘Then why on earth haven’t you slept with her yet? Aigoo, what a world…fine…do what you want, but one year is one year, end of discussion! One year later, if still childless, I’ll make you marry another wife – am I making myself clear?’

(Silence)

‘Answer me, Wangeun!’

(Eun wants to cry)

‘How…how can you be so ruthless, grandpa?’

‘What?’

(Eun looks straight into his grandpa’s eyes)

‘Have I ever asked for anything from you? Have I ever asked you to make me king or asked you to give me anything else? I…I just want to live with my wife, my one and only wife, peacefully – till we die. Grandpa…I thought you’d understand. I don’t want to marry more than once.’

‘What’s the big deal of it?’

‘I thought you’d understand…after seeing how father treated mother, just because he has so many wives.’

‘Your father has many wives, I have many wives. A bit of quarrels every now and then, well, that’s normal, Eun ah!’

‘Yes, well, I’m not like you, grandpa! I’m not like father! I’m me! And I don’t want to live the way you wanted me to live!’

‘Are we going to have this argument all over again? You really want me to end this clean? Then bring me your wife right now!’

‘We’ll leave this damn country if we have to!’

‘W-what?! Don’t you say those words ever again, you hear me?’

‘Why? Why can’t I leave? Because it’s against the law for any royals to leave the country for good? Then break the law I shall! Remove my title if you want, I don’t care, I hate the title anyway. If it’s sentence of death – then death it shall be!’

(Eun’s grandpa slaps him across the face)

‘You scoundrel. You have no idea what you’re saying!’

‘No, grandpa, I do – I know exactly what I’m saying.’

‘Listen to me, young man, if you dare think about leaving the country ever again, if you dare think about killing yourself again, know this well – I will lock you up if it’s must be done. You think I won’t?’

‘Then I’ll die trying to break free! I’ll die trying, I tell you, I will!’

(Boiling with anger, Eun storms out of the room. Eun’s grandpa calls for someone)

‘Anyone outside?’

‘I’m here, your excellency.’

‘Go to the doctor and collect the powder, I mean, medicine… I’ve ordered. Sneak into Eun’s kitchen and put the medicine into every bottle of wine you can find. Understand?’

‘Sir…you’re…you’re not going to poison his royal highness, are you?’

‘Heck! Are you out of your mind! Of course not! It’ll just boost his urge, that’s all. He’s so angry right now, I bet he’ll drink a bottle or two. Hurry up now.’

‘Yes sir! But sir...why didn't you tell the prince?’

'About what?'

'About your illness, sir.'

'Will the news of me dying soon change him?'

'I...I suppose not, master. I'll get going then...'

------------------------ to be continued