Time flies

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

It’s been 6 months since I've last written…I just couldn’t bring myself to flip through the pages which held so many memories, ones I want to hold on to and ones I want to forget. The prince didn’t change much, except the fact that he’s been focusing on studying…looks like he’s trying to catch up and reappear in front of Haesoo as a smart, educated young man. I don’t mind, I’ve let it all go now. Whom I worry most is mother…she’s come down with several colds since I started living with them and each left her weaker every time. If only I could cheer her up in any way…but the only thing which seem to be able to cheer her up is either by meeting the king or by meeting her grandchildren, both equally impossible. I’ve learnt about what happened to her and why she was thrown out of the palace…It was the queen’s doing, obviously. They accused mother of meeting her lover secretly outside the palace at night and even provided evidence to prove it happened. The king didn’t look into the matter at all and simply threw her out. If only I could prove mother’s innocence, then she can return to the palace again and see the king. But it would seem impossible, since the queen has pretty much bribed every single person just to frame mother.

I’ll need to give a test to the prince after this…if he is to look smart in front of Haesoo, he needs to get pass me first. I’ve been able to use Haesoo as an excuse to make him study, I mean, seriously! How can he not know the Work of Mencius? Even my niece and nephews know it by age of 10! But I guess starting late is better than not starting at all.

Father’s coming over for dinner this evening because Eun’s grandpa invited him, I can’t wait to see him again! And to read the letters sent by Bogum! We met last year and he sure was surprised to see me, married. He won’t tease me anymore he said, and gave me this beautiful hairpin he got from a rich Chinese merchant. I don’t usually wear accessories, but that one was truly a piece of art. I shall keep it by my side.

I now sleep in the renovated corner where the bath used to be, at least I won’t have to worry about getting kicked or elbowed at in the middle of the night! Of course…every morning before the maid comes in with our breakfast, I will have to hide my blankets and pretend to have been sleeping on the bed with Eun – no one found out so far, thank goodness. Wait, I think mother is calling me and it’s almost time for Eun’s lesson.

Eun’s diary

I can’t do it! Why is it so hard to memorize things? Those stupid words won’t come out….Soondeok told me to copy the book 5 times as punishment today! How dare she? Looks like I’ll have to ask my servants to help me copy again… If I had married Haesoo, this would’ve never happened! I know she’s a low-level maid right now, but I won’t mind marrying her – she would be so happy I haven’t given up on her when I propose to her after the 3-years are up, she’ll have to say yes! If only I had been in the capital when the incident took place – I would’ve been like So hyung, standing by her side even when king told him not to. I hate the queen even more now, after what she did to mum and to Haesoo. Anyways, only a bit more than 2 years left to wait! By the way, Soondeok’s scary father is coming over tonight…definitely not looking forward to it.