Under the tree

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

(Eun whispers from outside Soondeok and Haesoo’s bedroom)

‘Deok ah. Soondeok ah, you awake yet? Good morning~’

(No response. Eun whispers a bit louder)

‘Soondeok ah, honey, you up yet?’

(Eun hears someone moving about inside the room so he waits for the door to open, yet it was Haesoo who opened it.)

‘S…Soo ah.’

‘Your Highness…is everything alright?’

(She tries to open her eyes as she is getting used to the sunlight)

‘Oh, it’s…nothing’s wrong, I um…’

(Eun tries to take a look inside the room)

‘Where…where’s my wife?’

‘Hm?’

(Haesoo turns around and sure enough, Soondeok’s not there, her blankets and bedsheets nicely folded in a corner)

‘I…I thought she had gone out with you, she said she would last night…’

‘What did she say last night?’

‘We were just chatting and she said she might take a morning stroll with you…I wonder where she is…’

‘A note! Is there a note?’

(Eun starts to panic, he pushes himself in and tries to look for a note left by Soondeok)

‘Your Highness, is this it?’

‘Yes! Oh thank goodness! Where is she? Let me see…Aish! That girl is driving me crazy! I really need to put a bell on her or something. Thanks Soo ah!’

(Eun leaves without another word, the room suddenly feels empty again. Haesoo grins.)

‘I’m glad Eun is taking good care of her now…’

(Haesoo said to herself as she folds her blanket up, pondering upon the memories when she first came to Goryeo, how Eun loves to play with her back then…)

------------------------------

‘YA! Honey!’

(Soondeok turns around and sees Eun walking up the hill towards her)

‘Oppa! You’re awake! And so early! Good boy!’

(Eun tries to catch his breath)

‘Of all the places…you chose this place…gosh…I can’t breathe…’

‘Look at the tree behind us, Oppa, look at all those flowers! Beautiful isn’t it?’

‘Indeed…’

‘I love spring, don’t you? Flowers blooming everywhere, animals coming out from their caves, birds returning from the south, and soon there’ll even be baby rabbits hopping about! And the trees will start to-’

(Eun pulls Soondeok by the arm and embraces her, enjoying the sweet aroma of his dear wife)

‘Oh honey, oh I how I’ve missed you…’

‘Oppa…’

‘I can’t sleep last night, Deok ah...See the dark circles I have around my eyes? It’s all your fault!’

(Eun points at his eyes)

‘Why?’

‘Because you’re in another room! How can you do this to me?’

‘Well, we only have 2 rooms, Oppa, we can’t possibly sleep together in one room while Haesoo sleeps in the same room as So Oraboni! They’re not married yet!’

‘That’s just your excuse! I was so bored!’

(Soondeok gives Eun a small pat on the head)

‘Oh Oppa, stop acting like a kid and start thinking straight! You have So Oraboni, how could you be bored? Why don’t you guys talk yourselves to sleep?’

‘We’re not like you girls, giggling and chattering the moment you guys meet – men don’t do things like that.’

‘Says who? I’m a girl who knows martial arts, there’s no such thing as “girls can’t do such” or “boys don’t do such”…’

‘Yes well…it’s kinda awkward, me and hyung. Deok ah, can’t you just sleep in our room tonight? Please?’

‘Oppa, you know we can’t.’

‘Please?’

‘Aigoo, stop nagging! See that’s why Haesoo don’t want to marry you back then!’

‘What?’

(Eun pushes Soondeok against the tree and forces a kiss, Soondeok tries to push him away but that only made him stick with her closer. Eun’s become stronger now, strong enough to resist his wife at least.)

‘Mmmm! Oppa!’

(Eun releases and stares straight into her eyes)

‘Ya, Soondeok ah, what did I say about mentioning her when we’re alone?’

‘You were going to kiss me anyway!’

‘No I’m not!’

‘Yes you are!’

(Soondeok rubs her lips with the back of her hand)

‘Oh? You dare rub my kiss away? Wife, you’re in deep DEEP trouble.’

‘So what will you do to me, hm? Haesoo’s ex-lover~’

‘You!’

(Eun kisses Soondeok even harder this time, making sure his punishment is great enough to teach his wife a lesson. Both of them knows that they love each other, and that Haesoo’s no longer in between them, yet every now and then, for Eun’s kiss sake, Soondeok will bring it up. She enjoys seeing her husband being forceful, she loves this manly side of him.)

‘Oppa- Stop- Ya…Enough-’

‘You know how long our morning kisses are, Deok ah.’

‘I almost forgot.’

‘That’s why I’m here to remind you, my dear wife.’

‘Really Oppa, we need to stop, Haesoo and So Oraboni will be waiting for us for breakfast.’

‘Let them enjoy it alone.’

‘Oraboni and I have to go hunting today, if we start off late, we’ll come back late. Be a good boy now and let’s walk back down.’

‘But we just got started…’

(Reluctant, Eun breaks away and squats in front of his wife.)

‘Get on, I’ll carry you down then.’

‘Oppa, I don’t want you to get hurt, the hill is quite steep.’

‘Just get on!’

(Soondeok gives his a gentle kick then walks down the hill by herself)

‘Ya! Park Soondeok! Why’re you like this today? Ha?’

‘I told you, I don’t want you to get hurt! And I know what you’ll do if I get on, you’ll be fiddling with my all the way down.’

(Eun feels exposed)

‘Watch your tongue, lady! I’m a gentlemen, I won’t do such a thing!’

‘I know it all, Oppa~ You do it every single time! And I can see it in your eyes!’

‘What…what’s wrong with me doing that? I’m your husband! I can if I want to! Ya, wait up!’

--------------------------------------------

Soondeok’s diary

It’s a dream come true! So Oraboni and I will go hunting right after I finish this, he’s preparing the horses now. I wanted Eun to come along but he said he’ll only hinder the hunt so he chose to stay. I don’t mind, it’d be nice for him to catch up with Haesoo too. Funny right? How I’m fine with leaving my husband & his first love behind while I’m away. I believe in Eun, I trust that his love for me won’t change, maybe that’s why.

I chatted with Haesoo for a very long time last night before we slept, girl things. I asked if she has any plans in marrying So Oraboni, she didn’t answer. I suppose it’s not the right time yet. If only there’s a way to help So Oraboni and Haesoo get together! I know they love each other, it’s just that they can’t marry yet because of their duties in the court.

Oh, time to go!

 

Eun’s diary

Soondeok’s out now. It’s so boring here, and super awkward too. Should I talk to Haesoo or should I just rot in this room? I want to walk around but I’m afraid I’ll get lost. Oh well, I guess walking around a bit won’t hurt, who cares if I get lost, it’s much better than sitting in my room doing nothing all day.

Soondeok’s so happy to see So hyung, in a way I’m jealous, I wish I could go out with them for the hunt, but my skill is still far from their own. I don’t want Soondeok to waste her precious quality time with hyung by taking care of me along the way. If my wife’s happy, I’m happy.

It’s a relieve I can finally leave that house, free of maids, free of servants, free of grandpa’s nonsense. I hope Mi-ah and the old lady is safe now, I can’t help but wonder if they’re doing alright. I suppose father-in-law will take good care of them.

It’s weird, when I see Haesoo now, I no longer felt anything. No love, that’s for sure, and no anger too. To me, she’s just a friend now, a good friend, a bit like my own sister. Is that a good thing?

Just a few more days before going back to the suffocating capital, I’ll sure miss this place. I hope  Yixing’s back in town when I return, I miss him so much!

------------------------------

(Eun is walking around the temple when he sees Haesoo sitting by herself, so he goes up and sits next to her, after a bit of hesitation of course)

‘Your Highness.’

‘You don’t mind, right?’

‘Not at all.’

(Eun sighs)

‘My my my, look at the sky…’

‘How have you been, your highness?’

‘Fine thank you. And you?’

‘So and so, I suppose…’

(Both looking out the garden)

‘Soo ah…are you happy? Working in the palace, I mean.’

‘Anyone can be happy, if they choose to be…I suppose I am.’

‘That’s good then…’

(Silence.)

‘What about you, your highness, are you happy?’

(Eun smiles)

‘Too happy that I’m afraid it’s all but a dream…’

‘I’m glad to see you getting along well with your wife, your highness. Really am thankful things worked out well for you two.’

‘Yes well, you helped. You knocked me back to my senses…’

(Silence)

‘So, Your Highness!’

(Haesoo tries to bring the mood back up)

‘When will you two start thinking about having kids?’

(Eun looks down before looking back out the garden)

‘We won’t. We can’t…’

‘Oh…I…I’m so sorry…’

(Eun forces a smile like he doesn’t care)

‘It’s best to keep things the way it is now, I suppose. And if we ever do want children so badly, we can always go with adoption.’

‘I really am so sorry for bringing this up, Your Highness…’

‘It’s not your fault, Soo ah, you’ll know sooner or later anyway. Grandpa is making me marry someone else to have kids, I bet the entire country knows about that. What do you think, Soo ah? Should I get myself a second wife just to have kids?’

‘Of course not! I mean…from Lady Soondeok’s point of view, I won’t exactly encourage you to, and I know you won’t. I remember what you’ve said before, that you’ll spend a hundred years with the person you love and that you won’t have many wives like your father.’

‘You remembered well, yes, that’s what I want…oh the good old days…’

(Eun slowly gets up)

‘Where are you going, Your Highness?’

‘To pray, for my wife. Want to join?’

(Haesoo shakes her head)

‘No thanks, I’ll stay here.’

‘It’s been nice talking to you, Soo ah, real nice.’

‘You’ve really grown up a lot, Your Highness…it’s good to see you like that.’

(Eun turns around after nodding)

‘Your Highness!’

‘Hm?’

‘Please…please live well…please…live for a long time, a very very long time.’

(Eun’s kind of surprised)

‘I…um, thanks, I’ll try, Soo ah. You too.’

(Eun walks off, leaving Haesoo alone again for the second time that day)

‘Please don’t die, Your Highness, please don’t let my vision come true…’